Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

It's only a $15.3M contract. Despite the "vote of confidence" in terms of five years, CDC did hedge in the overall amount. It gives me some hope he was slightly skeptical of Terry's ability and won't wait to cut bait if Terry's substandard tenure continues.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

3 years isn't sabotage

Offering a new coach a contract where he can't even guarantee an incoming freshman he will be there by his junior year is absolutely sabotage.

This isn't a video game. Name one P5 coach who was hired in the last 5 years who got 3 years or less. In football or basketball for that matter.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Offering a new coach a contract where he can't even guarantee an incoming freshman he will be there by his junior year is absolutely sabotage.

This isn't a video game. Name one P5 coach who was hired in the last 5 years who got 3 years or less. In football or basketball for that matter.

Yep. 5 for an initial isn’t bad. Payne got 6 I believe. Texas will make a decision by the end of next season if RT gets 3 full or if we cut bait early. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep. 5 for an initial isn’t bad. Payne got 6 I believe. Texas will make a decision by the end of next season if RT gets 3 full or if we cut bait early. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, when have we ever wanted to fire a coach but had to tuck our tail between our legs and run it back because a buyout amount scared us.

If the athletic department and BMD want to make a move, they will. They aren’t sitting there going damn we can’t pay this $10 million buyout but next year a $7 million buyout sounds much better.

Every roster changes with a coaching hire, provided it's made between seasons. That's part of what you expect and generally need to happen. Of course, among players with eligibility left, you hope the best guys stay and the worst leave, with an overall higher floor set by the replacements.

We didn't get that. Losing Morris was a big talent negative. At least Weaver has softened the blow there, in terms of hustle and culture. But we certainly haven't benefited much from Shedrick, Horton, Onyema or even Abmas here lately. The bigger and more physical B12 teams have guys like them for lunch. 

Meanwhile, the returnees have disappointed as a group. Disu and for the most part Mitchell have done their jobs, but Hunter and Cunningham clearly haven't. Maybe the two stud freshmen who bailed would have made those regressions easier to accept, but that's all moot.

Aside from the "Texas" on their jerseys, the only common denominator in all this is the head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

this was a different situation than a regular coaching search, had we done that after beard was fired and hired anyone else then yea. But this was different and you can't approach  it the same. I think 3 years for a unproven assistant that did a great job keeping the team together as suitable and far from "sabotage" and NCAA has changed and kids portal every year so them not having their coach for 4 years when how many stay anywhere for 4 full years anymore is dumb. 

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

this was a different situation than a regular coaching search, had we done that after beard was fired and hired anyone else then yea. But this was different and you can't approach  it the same. I think 3 years for a unproven assistant that did a great job keeping the team together as suitable and far from "sabotage" and NCAA has changed and kids portal every year so them not having their coach for 4 years when how many stay anywhere for 4 full years anymore is dumb. 

That all sounds reasonable and great, but the market is the market. Agents run college athletics. You can not expect your coach, whether a promoted assistant or brand new, to go out and recruit against the best of the best on a new 3-year contract. He would get crushed. Fair or not, that is the way it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That all sounds reasonable and great, but the market is the market. Agents run college athletics. You can not expect your coach, whether a promoted assistant or brand new, to go out and recruit against the best of the best on a new 3-year contract. He would get crushed. Fair or not, that is the way it is.

LOL. ok.

31 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If the new hire has the same record year one (similar stats) but you ‘like’ him, are you calling for him to be fired ?

Impossible to answer. What coach, with what new players, in what circumstances, etc. But generally, no, I doubt many would want to fire Mark Few after his first season here, unless there are mugshot pics out there post domestic assault. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

If the new hire has the same record year one (similar stats) but you ‘like’ him, are you calling for him to be fired ?

It depends on the history the coach has as a head coach before he got there. But if you do a search and you hire an assistant with no HC or a HC with little record as a HC you are already signing up for some bumps and bruises. Terry's situation is unique in going from interim HC to HC but he has plenty of history as a HC building a team.

• Like 1

The program was certainly in a mess when RT inherited it.  Rice... RICE took us to overtime in his first game.  And we barely beat OU, who had a losing record.  The team was reeling and it looked like the wheels were about to fall off.  Then the ship got righted and the team kept improving through the end of the season.  Many want to credit Beard for the culture, but all that was gone in the month following his arrest.  

RT deserves a lot of credit for not jacking with the rotations, including having Sir'Jabari coming off the bench.  I thought a lot of his game management and play calling was very good at the time.  Disu also showed a ton of improvement over the course of the season.  Some of that could be getting healthy, but his actual game also improved - including his little push shot in the lane.

I thought in the offseason that the Frank Haith hire was great. Turns out, maybe it wasn't.  And maybe losing Donewald hurt more than I thought at the time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, HookEm said:

The program was certainly in a mess when RT inherited it.  Rice... RICE took us to overtime in his first game.  And we barely beat OU, who had a losing record.  The team was reeling and it looked like the wheels were about to fall off.  Then the ship got righted and the team kept improving through the end of the season.  Many want to credit Beard for the culture, but all that was gone in the month following his arrest.  

RT deserves a lot of credit for not jacking with the rotations, including having Sir'Jabari coming off the bench.  I thought a lot of his game management and play calling was very good at the time.  Disu also showed a ton of improvement over the course of the season.  Some of that could be getting healthy, but his actual game also improved - including his little push shot in the lane.

I thought in the offseason that the Frank Haith hire was great. Turns out, maybe it wasn't.  And maybe losing Donewald hurt more than I thought at the time.  

I think we are crediting Beard for the way he coached them to play defense.  I'm not sure how you can divine that the culture was gone in a month after the arrest.  In fact, I'd say the culture was there, because after the initial Rice fiasco, basically the day of, the guys got back to business.  

Everyone to a man credits Terry with steering the ship but it wasn't a mess.  It was a bunch of senior guys and Disu who kept their heads down and kept grinding.

Horton being a complete bust and Abmas not really being as good as advertised has certainly hurt Terry.

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's not football where you need a few years to build the program. In this age of NIL and transfer portal, you can instantly build a winning program if you're good and have the donor support. I think it's time to rethink the 5-year minimum contract.

The good thing about RT's contract is that it's equivalent to a 3-year price tag ($5M per year) for a perceived good coach. Hopefully, there are offset clauses that will make the BO even less. Texas can get rid of RT wihtout much hesitation when it comes to BO, but as is often the case, they may not do it because of the "optics."

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

The program was certainly in a mess when RT inherited it.  Rice... RICE took us to overtime in his first game.  And we barely beat OU, who had a losing record.

There is so much wrong with these arguments and you know it. Rice was the first game after the Beard news and OU is our arch rival. Why would any objective person point to those games as evidence that the program was a mess? It's like saying Michigan was in bad shape for the way they played when Harbaugh was suspended.

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

Impossible to answer. What coach, with what new players, in what circumstances, etc. But generally, no, I doubt many would want to fire Mark Few after his first season here, unless there are mugshot pics out there post domestic assault. 

Coach K, Dean Smith, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Mark Few... the list of coaches not coming to Texas under any circumstances just grows and grows and grows on these "Fire the current coach" threads. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, freyguy said:

image.png.d509b16b1aee8a200bc6c337b55533f8.png

This... if people here are complaining about the status of Texas basketball on Feb. 27, 2024 with Rodney Terry as coach, imagine what it'd be had we not hired the Black coach who took over the train wreck Chris Beard created with his stupidity and took us to the Elite Eight.
No matter who was hired, he'd be fortunate to ever get a Black Top 100 prospect to ever pick up the phone -- and the reverberations would have been felt in football, baseball and elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Coach K, Dean Smith, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Mark Few... the list of coaches not coming to Texas under any circumstances just grows and grows and grows on these "Fire the current coach" threads. 

I have no idea. I was just throwing out a name. 

7 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

This... if people here are complaining about the status of Texas basketball on Feb. 27, 2024 with Rodney Terry as coach, imagine what it'd be had we not hired the Black coach who took over the train wreck Chris Beard created with his stupidity and took us to the Elite Eight.
No matter who was hired, he'd be fortunate to ever get a Black Top 100 prospect to ever pick up the phone -- and the reverberations would have been felt in football, baseball and elsewhere. 

It's nice to see that Coach Terry now has enough money to hire his social media and fan message board promotors. He should send Christmas gifts to Beard every year for changing his life.

10 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

There is so much wrong with these arguments and you know it. Rice was the first game after the Beard news and OU is our arch rival. Why would any objective person point to those games as evidence that the program was a mess? It's like saying Michigan was in bad shape for the way they played when Harbaugh was suspended.

The level of doom and gloom around here was off the charts in December and January. Every game was followed by Derka posts showing how our defense was falling off a cliff. The negativity really picked up after K-State worked us at home, a full month after Beard was arrested. It all peaked in February when we lost 4 of 6 and narrowly avoided a 5th loss, again to OU. The program was absolutely a mess for those 2+ months.

Then we beat Kansas at home and got hot in the Big 12 tourney. But things were pretty bleak in February.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

imagine what it'd be had we not hired the Black coach who took over the train wreck Chris Beard created with his stupidity and took us to the Elite Eight.

in this scenario, you do realize that RT is somewhere else doing his usual underwhelming coaching job, yes? absolutely nobody would be criticizing us for not hiring the 55 year old who was stinking it up somewhere else. and there’s no chance that we pass on hiring RT without having a premier coach locked in to replace him. so no. you’re not going to convince me that had CDC hired someone else that we’d all be in here lamenting the loss of rodney terry. 

Edited by shadow_operative

27 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

This is dumb. No top tier program would get grief for choosing not to forego a full coaching search--which would include the current interim coach as a candidate--just because they won 3 games in the tournament. It was the Elite 8; they weren't playing for the Title. Hiring an assistant after a good month long run, without even probing national interest, is something that A&M would do.

You're basically arguing that UT isn't a top tier program, so making the Elite 8 should get you the job, no questions asked. Can you even name 3 of the Elite 8 from two years ago?

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This is dumb. No top tier program would get grief for choosing not to forego a full coaching search--which would include the current interim coach as a candidate--just because they won 3 games in the tournament. It was the Elite 8; they weren't playing for the Title. Hiring an assistant after a good month long run, without even probing national interest, is something that A&M would do.

You're basically arguing that UT isn't a top tier program, so making the Elite 8 should get you the job, no questions asked. Can you even name 3 of the Elite 8 from two years ago?

I’m not totally sure there was much out there tbh. That was part of the problem. 

33 minutes ago, HookEm said:

The level of doom and gloom around here was off the charts in December and January. Every game was followed by Derka posts showing how our defense was falling off a cliff. The negativity really picked up after K-State worked us at home, a full month after Beard was arrested. It all peaked in February when we lost 4 of 6 and narrowly avoided a 5th loss, again to OU. The program was absolutely a mess for those 2+ months.

Then we beat Kansas at home and got hot in the Big 12 tourney. But things were pretty bleak in February.

Nobody can take you seriously when you make the kind of arguments that you make in support of RT. I actually don't mind the coaching job he has done so far because I think it's to be expected given his long resume. Some of you are trying too hard to make him seem like he is not and never will be. Might as well come out and state the source of your irrational bias so we know what we are dealing with.

Edit: what do you think is more likely? RT gets canned in 3 years or get an extension? Since you think he is so great, you must think he would get an extension.

Edited by UTEE97

SMH.

I’m not supporting Terry. To be clear, I wish we hadn’t hired him and don’t think he will ever be very good. But there is no need to have revisionist history. Just go look at threads from a year ago.

It is possible to give Terry a lot of credit for last year and also think we made a mistake in hiring him.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HookEm said:

SMH.

I’m not supporting Terry. To be clear, I wish we hadn’t hired him and don’t think he will ever be very good. But there is no need to have revisionist history. Just go look at threads from a year ago.

It is possible to give Terry a lot of credit for last year and also think we made a mistake in hiring him.

Well, that's a rational take but that's not what some other posters are saying. Yes he did a phenomenal job last year under unique circumstances but that doesn't mean he would be a good long-term coach. This is a thread to discuss his shortcomings as a coach and why he deserves to go. Why do you have a problem with that? Why try so hard to project long-term coaching success based only on last year while ignoring his entire coaching tenure under normal circumstances? That's what I have problems with. Just admit that we probably made a mistake and let's just hope we are not stuck with this situation for too long. If he is not good enough to get an extension, then obviously he is not good enough. Why prolong the inevitable just for the optics?

On 2/26/2024 at 8:34 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, what?  Explain?

When the season ended, we had two committed players returning in Brock Cunningham and Alex Anamewke.

Disu, Mitchell, and Hunter were all contemplating their pro futures and the HS class was deciding it would be better to start their pro careers early.

Abmas, Shedrick, Weaver, and Horton were added from the portal while Johnson and Pryor were added in the late HS signing period.

On 2/25/2024 at 12:53 AM, Reality Check said:

We're on track for 20 wins and a No. 8-10 seed in the NCAA Tournament in a rebuilding year that's further been saddled with Kadin Shedrick's injury That means we're getting fewer than 18 minutes per game from one of our only two players over 6-6.

Even money says we get to 20 wins in the regular season. But people will still bitch when we lose to Houston in Kansas City and to UConn or Purdue in the Round of 32.

Healthy Kadin looking great tonight on defense.
Winning two of three -- vs. Oklahoma State, @ Baylor and vs. Oklahoma -- gets us to 20.

Time to get Moody absolutely on fire for Saturday's twinbill with the women wrapping up the season vs. BYU and to punch our NCAA Tournament ticket with a home win over OU. 

19 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Healthy Kadin looking great tonight on defense.
Winning two of three -- vs. Oklahoma State, @ Baylor and vs. Oklahoma -- gets us to 20.

Time to get Moody absolutely on fire for Saturday's twinbill with the women wrapping up the season vs. BYU and to punch our NCAA Tournament ticket with a home win over OU. 

Need your newsletter.  Kind of nailed things.  I was the only other one here claiming Rodney deserved more time.  

• Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

22 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Need your newsletter.  Kind of nailed things.  I was the only other one here claiming Rodney deserved more time.  

$9.95

Don't fret. As soon as we lose by 15 to Houston in Kansas City and get knocked out by UConn or Purdue the weekend after the bitchfest will resume.

17 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

$9.95

Don't fret. As soon as we lose by 15 to Houston in Kansas City and get knocked out by UConn or Purdue the weekend after the bitchfest will resume.

Lmao, you think winning one game against an unranked team means RT is the guy. Yeah fucking right. This team is inconsistent as fuck. They were as likely to lose by 20 as they were to win by 20. Consistency is a coaching issue. If they beat Baylor on the road, come get me. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

SMH.  I’m not supporting Terry. To be clear, I wish we hadn’t hired him and don’t think he will ever be very good. But there is no need to have revisionist history. Just go look at threads from a year ago.

Solid points...

20 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

It's only a $15.3M contract. Despite the "vote of confidence" in terms of five years, CDC did hedge in the overall amount. It gives me some hope he was slightly skeptical of Terry's ability and won't wait to cut bait if Terry's substandard tenure continues.

Beard was 5 mill a year, so
this is basically a 3 year deal in money terms making a buyout easier regardless of years remaining. 

12 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Lmao, you think winning one game against an unranked team means RT is the guy. Yeah fucking right. This team is inconsistent as fuck. They were as likely to lose by 20 as they were to win by 20. Consistency is a coaching issue. If they beat Baylor on the road, come get me. 

No, I think going 22-8 and taking Texas to the Elite Eight (with one of our four best players sitting on the bench due to injury) and following up with an 18-10 start (No. 24 BPI) to this point means it's absurd to be talking about firing the guy.

Texas has lost by 20+ to three teams -- all road games at Top 10 opponents. You can even throw in a 15-point loss at home vs. Iowa State. None of that suggests a 20-point loss to an unranked team, albeit one that is still a lock for the NCAA Tournament. 

And I'm not going to bother "come getting you" because you've chosen to be miserable. You and others are so invested in Terry's failure that you were probably ready to throw (ironically) beer cans and water bottles at the TV when the Horns were up 30. 

Edited by Reality Check

4 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

No, I think going 22-8 and taking Texas to the Elite Eight (with one of our four best players sitting on the bench due to injury) and following up with an 18-10 start (No. 24 BPI) to this point means it's absurd to be talking about firing the guy.

Texas has lost by 20+ to three teams -- all road games at Top 10 opponents. You can even throw in a 15-point loss at home vs. Iowa State. None of that suggests a 20-point loss to an unranked team, albeit one that is still a lock for the NCAA Tournament. 

And I'm not going to bother "come getting you" because you've chosen to be miserable. You and others are so invested in Terry's failure that you were probably ready to throw (ironically) beer cans and water bottles at the TV when the Horns were up 30. 

If you're so confident in your position, then why are you posting under a sock? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Maybe all of the arguing is over timing. I would think most people believe that Terry will end up fired, as many thought the day he was hired, but it will be at the end of year 2 or 3, not year 1. I seriously doubt he will be or should be fired after one year, unless he’s demonstrated to his bosses that he’s unfit to be the head coach in some way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I seriously doubt he will be or should be fired after one year, unless he’s demonstrated to his bosses that he’s unfit to be the head coach in some way. 

Anybody know if Vielka is prone to getting shithammered and violent?

image.thumb.png.a123b9745da0b815c7b45ae3a338d012.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Maybe all of the arguing is over timing. I would think most people believe that Terry will end up fired, as many thought the day he was hired, but it will be at the end of year 2 or 3, not year 1. I seriously doubt he will be or should be fired after one year, unless he’s demonstrated to his bosses that he’s unfit to be the head coach in some way. 

He will win just enough to stick around but not enough to justify an extension. Death by 1000 cuts. 

• Hook 'Em 1