2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

2 hours ago, Hard Times said:

Well, it probably isn't Strychnine, but it probably isn't much better.

Well they are certainly putting that in the guacamole.  

This is a weird pivot for the newspaper of record.  Say what you will about the NY Post, they have the transparency to proudly announce what they are as a news "outlet."  Now, you've got the Times which is just running shit so we all talk about why they're running shit so they can relevant and in the national conversation, despite them admitting to what they are doing to stay in the national conversation.  They're like a reverse Onion at this point.  But i guess all dying species get weird at the end.  

6 hours ago, Hard Times said:

One could make an argument that China shouldn't be allowed to sell products in the US at all not just because of what they're doing to US companies, but what they're doing to the earth. Saving the planet is expensive but it must be done. China is destroying the planet one day at a time. US companies spend billions to comply with EPA, USDA, FDA regulations while Chinese companies dump toxic wastes in the nearest sewer.

And that's just in addition to their effort to put US companies that manufacture defense products out of business. And they can do it by paying workers barely enough to buy road kill for dinner.

Damn, if ever a user name matched a post, this would be it.

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

NYT is so desperate and it’s quite sad they won’t be impartial bc Biden still refuses to interview with them 

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

The NYT is going to end up endorsing Trump bc they have decided that only their editorial board is capable of determining if Biden is mentally fit to hold the office again. Despite none of them being medical professionals and Biden refuses to acquiesce. I’m sure Nate Bronze is going to pundit his way about how dare Biden violate norms and precedent 

CNN: Donald Trump choked to death on a McDonald's hamburger.

New York Times: Donald Trump choking to death is going to drive up turnout among people who have lost a loved one to choking on a hamburger, and this means Biden will lose by 10 points.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Damn, if ever a user name matched a post, this would be it.

He's worked there for thirty years, thirty years, and they give him a watch, kick him in the butt and say, "a computer took your place, daddy."  That's hard times!

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

really interesting study on change of number of donors by county.  a nice measure of support i've not seen looked at.  so you're not just looking at numbers, but the change since 2020, which is useful to compare against because you know who won each state in 2020.

This is the kind of stuff that political analytics companies look at - not dumbass polls based on telephone respondents, where 6 people are used to make a claim that some number swung from 12% to 20%. This stuff is verifiable.

• Hook 'Em 1

It hasn’t been talked about much, but next week’s Georgia Supreme Court election is going to be a big barometer for November.

abortion is like, THE top issue 

@BamaATL

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

One of my wife’s ditzy-er friends asked me if Trump could really terminate the constitution, she asked because I’m a lawyer and have taught law as an adjunct. It made me think, what is he really suggesting? The constitution can only be changed (or conceivably terminated) if 3/4 of the states agree. So he’s suggesting a coup, and I’ve long maintained that he’s not smart enough, or motivated enough, to actually do anything of the sort. He wants to be president again so he can talk shit from the podium and avoid prosecution for his multiple crimes. I just don’t see military top brass agreeing to destroy their loyalties to the country for a fat fucking stupid ass loser. Some rank and file surely would participate but not the guys at the top. So the answer was basically that, no he can’t terminate the constitution, and he’s too fat lazy and stupid to launch a legitimate coup. But it would be a lot better if we can get Biden 4 more years and let the fat fuck rot in court until he keels over on the shitter and dies.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

But he / his admin can and have already and would continue to undermine it. It would get ugly fast, they’ve had all the time in the world to figure it out, vet it with their judges and constitutional scholars, and know exactly how far they can toe the line. 

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

But he / his admin can and have already and would continue to undermine it. It would get ugly fast, they’ve had all the time in the world to figure it out, vet it with their judges and constitutional scholars, and know exactly how far they can toe the line. 

And they’ve even been so helpful as to outline their plans in public on the internet. 

https://www.project2025.org

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It hasn’t been talked about much, but next week’s Georgia Supreme Court election is going to be a big barometer for November.

@BamaATL

So today is the last day of early voting, and Tuesday is actually the election.  We can expect a low turnout period, so I wouldn't say it's going to be a great barometer.  Only one of the justice spots is unopposed, and thus far the only spending I've seen has been Republican.  I hoping that's telling, because the only spending in a race like this is generally done by the ones concerned.  To date, with early voting and mail in, there have been about 500k vote.  

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Undermine it? Yeah, they've been doing that for 50 years, and I personally think this country has already passed the tipping point and that collapse is inevitable. I maintain, however, that even if he wins the election, the military isn't going to help him expel members of Congress and the judiciary he doesn't like and install him as dictator. And his cabinet would be another round of assholes and misfits just like the last one that have mostly turned on him in one way or another. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Hard Times said:

One could make an argument that China shouldn't be allowed to sell products in the US at all not just because of what they're doing to US companies, but what they're doing to the earth. Saving the planet is expensive but it must be done. China is destroying the planet one day at a time. US companies spend billions to comply with EPA, USDA, FDA regulations while Chinese companies dump toxic wastes in the nearest sewer.

And that's just in addition to their effort to put US companies that manufacture defense products out of business. And they can do it by paying workers barely enough to buy road kill for dinner.

It's silly to think there should be no tariffs on Chinese products. Higher product costs are better than 50% unemployment and no ability to defend yourself.

More info on why Biden is doing a better job than Maga, and a video that also touches on solar panels and semi's.

Biden's Chinese EV tariffs don't address lingering national security concerns (msn.com)

I didn’t hear all of it, but John Kasich was on MSNBC earlier saying he thinks Biden is going to pull out. I don’t think he was basing it on anything other than these fucked up polls.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I didn’t hear all of it, but John Kasich was on MSNBC earlier saying he thinks Biden is going to pull out. I don’t think he was basing it on anything other than these fucked up polls.

Of the election?

• Haha 5

I think there’s a non-zero chance he will pull out. Could be 1%. Could be 50%. I think it’s closer to the 1% at this point, but who fucking knows. I’ve thought through this hypothetical though, who would step in as the nominee who has a good chance to win? I honestly can’t think of anyone else

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

But it would be a lot better if we can get Biden 4 more years and let the fat fuck rot in court until he keels over on the shitter and dies.

Minor nit-pick: He won't be on the shitter; that's what the diapers are for.

12 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I think there’s a non-zero chance he will pull out. Could be 1%. Could be 50%. I think it’s closer to the 1% at this point, but who fucking knows. I’ve thought through this hypothetical though, who would step in as the nominee who has a good chance to win? I honestly can’t think of anyone else

Newsom

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Well I was assuming he meant Jill, but yeah maybe the election too.

Why would he pull out of Jill? At her age, the tunnels need a fresh coat of paint 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

There isn't one. This was made very clear in 2020, and it makes these temper tantrums by many on the left even more infuriating.

Kamala would make the Mondale map look impressive.  Newsom might be the guy in 2028, but I don't think he would be very appealing to the swing states on short notice.  Nobody knows who Whitmer is, nationally.  Pete needs airplanes to stop falling out of the sky and bridges to stop getting run into.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

You also completely alienate a lot of people who would feel it was a set up all along and there could have been a competitive primary if he was just going to bow out. The last thing anyone needs is more “THE DNC RIGGED IT” bullcrap

• Hook 'Em 3

@Js1 

We were going to just vote on Tuesday, but after you brought it up earlier I brought it up and we decided to just go ahead and early vote today.  We live in a heavily leaning Republican area, but I would say it was 50/50 among people there that were young women, us, and the elderly.  That bodes well Barrow, the only Justice head up vote.  He's up against Pinson, and Kemp appointee.  Again, I wouldn't expect a huge turnout here, but pulling the upset would be great and if any of Atlanta shows we've got a shot.  

Currently the GA Supreme Court is entirely Republican (4), so getting one won't immediately change everything, but getting one starts an in road.  Fingers crossed.  I however would not expect this to be a bellwether for the state in either direction.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If by non-zero, you mean there is a chance he dies. Short of that, not going to happen. I'll bet any amount of money on that. 

This. It’s idiotic. I could see him stepping down after he wins at some point. Maybe. But he’s running for reelection. Come on people. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

This. It’s idiotic. I could see him stepping down after he wins at some point. Maybe. But he’s running for reelection. Come on people. 

Seriously. I’ve heard lots of dumb things (Trump continues to say things), but that’s utterly stupid. He’s not pulling out.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Of the election?

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Well I was assuming he meant Jill, but yeah maybe the election too.

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That's just stupid. 

Really stupid to pull out of Jill. Her baby-making days are long since gone.

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

@BamaATL

People line up around the block to vote in state Supreme Court elections.

Welp, we now know what Trump's "out" is going to be for skipping the debates. He was stumping in MN yesterday and claims he's going to demand a "drug test" before the debates, implying that Biden will be juicing. Every accusation is a confession, blah blah blah.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

If by non-zero, you mean there is a chance he dies. Short of that, not going to happen. I'll bet any amount of money on that. 

Even with that I'd lay odds on Weekend at Bernie's situation before being replaced.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2024 at 8:52 AM, 'stache said:

One of my wife’s ditzy-er friends asked me if Trump could really terminate the constitution, she asked because I’m a lawyer and have taught law as an adjunct. It made me think, what is he really suggesting? The constitution can only be changed (or conceivably terminated) if 3/4 of the states agree. So he’s suggesting a coup, and I’ve long maintained that he’s not smart enough, or motivated enough, to actually do anything of the sort. He wants to be president again so he can talk shit from the podium and avoid prosecution for his multiple crimes. I just don’t see military top brass agreeing to destroy their loyalties to the country for a fat fucking stupid ass loser. Some rank and file surely would participate but not the guys at the top. So the answer was basically that, no he can’t terminate the constitution, and he’s too fat lazy and stupid to launch a legitimate coup. But it would be a lot better if we can get Biden 4 more years and let the fat fuck rot in court until he keels over on the shitter and dies.

He’s going to make it die from neglect.

Replacing it or amending it is hard work.

But if you just ignore it, then eventually people start ignoring it too and it eventually dies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Best chance for Biden winning us for everyone to be reminded of trumps shittiness.  Him being in trial and not campaigning hampers that.  

Two debates would help. But I’ll be surprised if we see even one. 

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Two debates would help. But I’ll be surprised if we see even one. 

Trump is going to back out and call it a win.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 3:02 PM, SubliminalHorn said:

He isn’t pulling out of the election. Why do we have to do this every two months 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He isn’t pulling out of the election. Why do we have to do this every two months 

Especially when it’s followed up by “I don’t know who would even be a good replacement or if one exists”

Because it won’t happen 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Because whether we want to admit it or not, Biden has some serious weaknesses. I love the copium here, but that’s a reality. We just have to beat that fucking guy and yeah, I’m fucking nervous right now 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Because whether we want to admit it or not, Biden has some serious weaknesses. I love the copium here, but that’s a reality. We just have to beat that fucking guy and yeah, I’m fucking nervous right now 

It’s not copium. There is a zero percent chance Biden pulls out of the race. Perceived weaknesses have nothing to do with it. He isn’t pulling out. Why we have to keep having this conversation is beyond me.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1