2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

Ok I’m calling it right now:

There will be some kind of violence on Election Day at a polling location in a blue city. Election will be suspended. Magats will claim false flag. It will be total chaos. No idea how it ends. 

Not sure if I should put that into the ether, but it just seems like we are careening towards something like this. Hope I’m very wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

There will be some kind of violence on Election Day at a polling location in a blue city. Election will be suspended. Magats will claim false flag. It will be total chaos. No idea how it ends. 

Not sure if I should put that into the ether, but it just seems like we are careening towards something like this. Hope I’m very wrong. 

I don’t know about suspending the election, but the Rs would for sure sue to prevent extended hours voting or voting at a different location due to it being blown up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 'stache said:

I would love to see how this era is studied and described in 100 years. They’ll surely figure it out. Either microplastics, or lead water pipes, or cell phone signals, something has broken the brains of half this country and it’s spreading around the world. Societies don’t generally go backwards, they progress towards more freedoms and broader opportunities. The opposite is happening. There has to be a cause. Maybe it really is Idiocracy going way faster than anyone could anticipate. Something has broken the human mind and any of the forgoing explanations might make sense, although it’s more likely something we haven’t even considered yet.

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

It started before then, but these technologies with social media just exacerbated the problem. Its source is still something else in my opinion.

They’ve always existed, but social media and smart phones and the internet have amplified them and put them in the mainstream, and it’s brought in a lot of weak-willed/weak-minded people who maybe would have been pushed away from this stuff by polite society, but instead find groups of mentally ill people who buy into this shit and help suck them in.

30 years ago, if somebody held some dumbfuck beliefs like the Holocaust didn’t happen, chemtrails are the government spraying mind-altering drugs, we didn’t land on the moon, etc., they were shunned by polite society, and their relatives/friends/co-workers could directly (or indirectly) pressure them into shutting the fuck up about it and some would even feel a little shame about it.

These people used to be relegated to late-night AM shows, to the back rooms of bookstores or fliers posted around student unions, and their books and films were self-published through vanity publishers and then sold out of the back of their cars at said student unions or small conventions or indie book sellers or whatever, a handful of books at a time.  They had their discussions with a few dozen people in these book stores or student unions or whatever, and it rarely went anywhere,

Now they can spend a few days writing and churn out a batshit conspiracy book and push it up to Amazon’s Kindle store where it has a global reach and millions can stumble across it, or they can post something fucking stupid on Twitter and it goes viral for tens or hundreds of thousands to see within minutes or hours, and it’s amplified and they have thousands of people telling them that they are right and to keep fighting the good fight,

If you went back 20 years and started telling people that Tom Hanks and Oprah Winfrey were trafficking little kids and drinking their adrenochrome, people would look at you weird, your relatives would shun you, and your bosses might try easing you out the door. But in the late 2010s, you have dumbfuck Qanons (and there were a lot on TexAgs and Tiger Droppings and other SEC boards) who are not only pushing these dumbfuck conspiracy theories, but they are making money off of it, and politicians on the national level are catering to them, and even incorporating some of their imagery and views into their campaigns.  

And now you have Republicans who are backing the ex-KGB agent-turned dictator of Russia simply because Democrats oppose Putin (or said Republicans are being paid or blackmailed) and you have Republicans who “aren’t sure about the Holocaust” because, again, Democrats in the US are pushing back against homegrown Neo-Nazi sympathizers.

Because of the internet, these (in the past) small groups of people have found each other and formed large groups, and social media (and the associated bots) amplifies their voices to the extent that Republican politicians don’t want to go on the record about white supremacist or whether the Holocaust happened or we landed on the moon or other batshit conspiracy theories or beliefs because they will get publicly yelled at by the batshit Republicans, who will threaten them one way or another.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

45 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t know, a lot of these people were caught up in J6 stuff and so are out of the picture or discouraged, and they’ve had ample opportunity to commit violence against the courts that are prosecuting Trump.

Now I will not be surprised if they commit some kind of violence against Nikki Haley supporters and other never Trumpers, because they feel betrayed by them and hate them far more than liberals, and Trump is out there telling them to shunt these people.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t know, a lot of these people were caught up in J6 stuff and so are out of the picture or discouraged, and they’ve had ample opportunity to commit violence against the courts that are prosecuting Trump.

Now I will not be surprised if they commit some kind of violence against Nikki Haley supporters and other never Trumpers, because they feel betrayed by them and hate them far more than liberals, and Trump is out there telling them to shunt these people.

A courthouse is a bit more secure than the holiday inn or gymnasium turned into a voting center. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WBT said:

That's not really true at all unless you're talking timeframes of 100s of years.

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Yep.
031fe84b93307b7e44df10351cbafa19.jpg

Yes I’m talking about over 100s of years, and I said generally. The Islamic revolution is a good example of serious regression. I’d imagine that the current regime is still far less extreme than say 400 years ago. The world in general was way harsher back then and before, especially for the poor.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, BamaATL said:

The fact of the matter is that 25% of Republicans on a national level have voiced their displeasure with at least the perceived incumbent candidate.  I wish I could tell you that he was for sure going to fall over dead tomorrow, but I can't.  That having been said, the current Republican platform, which lets face it, is entirely MAGA, resonates with the same people it's always resonated with; it doesn't with the broader public; and this abundantly clear in the suburbs, particularly in the swing states.  Any defectors we peel off or just get to sit at home is just gravy on top for us.  Also bear in mind, that in 2016 it took a completely unenthused electorate behind a bad candidate combined with them getting every nut job out to vote.   They did it, and ever since that time, Democrats have been winning on every level. 

It's scary to play a game of brinksmanship even if you think there is an 80% shot you win.  On the national level, I like many of the numbers we are seeing.    This is pretty much all going to come down to young people like yourself, and your ability to recruit your peers.   It's our biggest advantage, and frankly this group, 30 and under, will determine this outcome.   So if you are feeling down, I hope this motivates you and reinvigorates you; you will make the difference; we need you, and we need you to recruit voters.     

Half of those voters were D/Independents that voted for Biden in 2020 and are already going to do so again. 

18 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Biden needs a good state of the union tomorrow.

This is by far the most important SOTU of my lifetime. I don't expect a strong one will produce a noticeably shift in public pinion in the year of our lord 2024, but projecting vitality and delivering the right message sets the foundation for the campaign, which is entering most people's minds for the first time this week(and won't again for months). The real reason it is critical, though, is that if he stumbles he will never shake the "too old" bit.

11 hours ago, 'stache said:

I’ll bet anyone a pizza that she endorses him. It’s gonna happen.

Yep. She left the door open. Just wants to see what she can extract (SOS, platform concessions, who knows). 

10 hours ago, 'stache said:

Societies don’t generally go backwards, they progress towards more freedoms and broader opportunities.

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You forgot social media. If anything, lead water pipes are reducing. 

You pose an interesting idea in regards to societies not generally "going backwards." I'm not sure I agree with that. In a marco level, humanity as one society, we're a sample size of one, so I'm not sure you can say definitely that we don't go backwards, only fowards, and hell "forwards" is apparently subjective to a fuck ton of people. On a more micro level, in regards to nation states, plenty seem to go backwards in spurts. Lebanon and other middle east countries arguably have gone backwards. Many countries in Africia, and places like Haiti, seem like they've never taken a step forwards. I just don't know, man. 

The moral arc of the universe is long and bends toward justice; but it is not linear. Societies often do go backwards.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  The world is going all-in on "maybe we should give this whole fascist thing a try again.....we just need some tweaks to how we did it in the 30s-40s, we'll get it right this time!"  So, here we go.   The collective "we" is going to give authoritarian, nativist fascism a try, globally.

It's going to go EXACTLY as anyone with common sense would expect, but we just gotta touch that hot stove to see if it really is hot - I don't think it's actually hot, I think it's warm, and will warm us all up, the Deep State is lying, they just want you to believe it will burn you, why are they trying so hard to keep us from touching the stove?  They are HIDING the truth from you!  Touching the stove will SAVE US!  Do the research, sheeple!

Yep. Canada has already been mentioned. Mexico is in the process of reverting to single-party rule. Look at Europe - Hungary, obviously; but Italy has a far right government, Erdogan consolidated power in Turkey, and the fascists have had varying degrees of electoral success across other nations. Our system is just structured in a way that they can govern as a minority without building coalitions. They can skip a step here. That's all.

8 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

But Buttigeig isn't in the field because Biden is sufficiently strong that he cleared the field of any challengers.

George H.W. Bush wasn't weak because Pat Buchanan got 35% in New Hampshire in 1992.  The fact that Pat Buchanan was in the race to begin with reflected Bush's underlying weakness.  And it's a weakness that Trump shares but Biden does not.

Democrats need to stop this fucking pity party.  It's self-defeating.  It's just going to cause people who would vote for Biden to stay home out of a sense of malaise and hopelessness.  And the true fact is that Biden has huge built-in advantages and should win this election pretty easily.

So stop feeling sorry for yourselves like a bunch of angsty teenage bitches and get ready for a fight.  Because your fucking country depends on it.

I Guess If You Say So GIF

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I too watched Succession.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Walser said:

Don't I know it. They pretty much had a whites-only immigration policy until about 73'. A hundred years ago it wasn't clear whether it was illegal to kill an Aborigine.

I don't know where to look for a progressive democracy. Maybe become a Kiwi?

You could do worse.  I was about sold when my Kiwi buddy mentioned they have designated no cellphone zones.  How great would it be to go someplace and not have to worry about some dipshit pulling out their cellphone to video every little thing or Facetime at full volume with their friends about what they're having for lunch?  That's the kind of thinking we need around here.  Start small then try to work on this whole saving democracy thing.

43 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You could do worse.  I was about sold when my Kiwi buddy mentioned they have designated no cellphone zones.  How great would it be to go someplace and not have to worry about some dipshit pulling out their cellphone to video every little thing or Facetime at full volume with their friends about what they're having for lunch?  That's the kind of thinking we need around here.  Start small then try to work on this whole saving democracy thing.

It’s all interconnected. Just basically don’t be a fucking asshole is what we need to work on. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

A courthouse is a bit more secure than the holiday inn or gymnasium turned into a voting center. 

True, but I still think those Hailey supporters/Never Trumpets better watch their backs, because when he loses again, as angry as they are at the liberals, they've already lost to them once in 2020, and this time around they'll have the primaries and the comments from the Never Trumpets to sit around and get angry about.

They may hate liberals, but the liberals are who they always were - the Never Trumpets on the other hand, these idiots consider that group as true traitors to the cause, especially when Trump loses.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Musk is petty enough to turn Trump down if Trump won't do what he wants.

Fair. I still think he siphons some money Trump’s way. Especially if things start looking bad for MAGA towards the end of summer. 

13 hours ago, tokamak said:

Do y’all want to see how fucked we are?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1b7pfa2/how_are_you_feeling_about_the_inevitable_trump_v/

One trillion upvotes this morning for variations on “these guys both suck”. Not one single top post calling out the false equivalency. 

I think I’m done with this thread and this election cycle. Quickly losing my will to give a fuck. If a majority of voters think there’s any comparison at all between these two guys, we deserve every last shit sandwich headed our way. 

A majority of voters do not think there is any comparison. Unfortunately that’s not how the electoral college works.

13 hours ago, Walser said:

I was informed by a Canadian immigration law firm that I was a prime candidate for Saskatchewan acceptance. (SINP) And you know what rhymes with Regina...

I also have some extended family in Australia so will try and cultivate that as well. Is there a flourishing liberal democracy anywhere?

Jerry Seinfeld No GIF by HULU

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This is by far the most important SOTU of my lifetime. I don't expect a strong one will produce a noticeably shift in public pinion in the year of our lord 2024, but projecting vitality and delivering the right message sets the foundation for the campaign, which is entering most people's minds for the first time this week(and won't again for months). The real reason it is critical, though, is that if he stumbles he will never shake the "too old" bit.

this election starts tomorrow. let's fucking go.

• Hook 'Em 7

17 hours ago, Satchel said:

The corporate media are so lacking in self awareness as to be a pitiful shame. I can recall at this point in the run up to the general in 2016, , they were laser focused on Hillary’s emails and the threat they posed to our national security. Matt Lauer went ape shit on Hillary in an interview about them. Now, they work around Trump’s 91 charges without dilemma. 

We need to go back to the days when news organizations were cost centers.

This and Reagan killing the Fairness Doctrine are two of the main reasons we're in this fubar timeline. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

This and Reagan killing the Fairness Doctrine are two of the main reasons we're in this fubar timeline. 

The media is standing next to the house, holding a lit match and trying to convince us if a fire happens, it’s solely the fault of the voters. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

One of the many reasons he's one of the worst presidents in American history.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

My dad told me way back when I was young that Reagan only cared about rich assholes and that he should never have been president. I also think he voted for Jesse Jackson.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Why the fuck is this still in the news cycle?  A stroked out white tortoise endorsed an orange cult leader for president?  You wanna report the news?  How about an article on how fucking insane this timeline is?  

Also, yeah…historical spoiler alert-Reagan had flaws.  Meanwhile Ken Paxton and Abbott’s primary plan is actually working.  What in the holy simulated fuck?

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hmmmm funny how key votes just showed up at exactly the right spots ….

I mean, Trump, Bannon and co. are sketchy as shit, but Ima need a little more in the way of supportable facts here.  It all feels a bit "2000 mules" / "magic box of ballots"-y to me, and I'm not on board with having that sort of disinformation coming from both sides.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

I mean, Trump, Bannon and co. are sketchy as shit, but Ima need a little more in the way of supportable facts here.  It all feels a bit "2000 mules" / "magic box of ballots"-y to me, and I'm not on board with having that sort of disinformation coming from both sides.

True, on the other hand "every accusation is a confession" has been the mainstay with this fucking guy.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

True, on the other hand "every accusation is a confession" has been the mainstay with this fucking guy.

It never fails. Which leads me to believe the 2016 election was probably rigged in his favor, somehow.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hmmmm funny how key votes just showed up at exactly the right spots ….

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

It never fails. Which leads me to believe the 2016 election was probably rigged in his favor, somehow.

I realize this lumps me into conspiracy whacko territory but i have never let go of the notion that something fucky was done to get him in the first time. I then apply that hypothesis to all of his actions before and since the 2020 election regarding "fraud." It was and still is plain as day to me that it was rigged the first time, people woke up, and then they couldn't get away with what worked the first time. He expected to win, and not because he should have. That's why he threw such a fit. I may never see this proven, but it'll take a lot to convince me otherwise. *takes off tinfoil hat*

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Have you forgotten the Mueller Report?

the report states that Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election was illegal and occurred "in sweeping and systematic fashion"[10][11][12] but was welcomed by the Trump campaign as it expected to benefit from such efforts.[13][14][15] It also identifies myriad links between Trump associates and Russian officials and spies,[16] about which several persons connected to the campaign made false statements and obstructed investigations.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mueller_report

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

When Trump started exclaiming after Barr's summary that the Mueller report totally "totally exonerated him" I then knew it did not before even reading it.

"Accordingly, while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him."

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I realize this lumps me into conspiracy whacko territory but i have never let go of the notion that something fucky was done to get him in the first time. I then apply that hypothesis to all of his actions before and since the 2020 election regarding "fraud." It was and still is plain as day to me that it was rigged the first time, people woke up, and then they couldn't get away with what worked the first time. He expected to win, and not because he should have. That's why he threw such a fit. I may never see this proven, but it'll take a lot to convince me otherwise. *takes off tinfoil hat*

I believe it too, 100%, but have seen no real evidence, so I'm not going to storm the capitol like an asshole, or claim that everything he did as president didn't really happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I said on this very board that the way they reacted after 2020 was like a guy who bet big on a fight he thought was fixed and was totally stunned and angry he lost. Also, since every accusation is a confession I assume the specific voting machines they were complaining about are the same ones they hacked in 2016 to add/delete or change votes. I think they ran the same play in 2020 but didn't account for the larger turnout. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the most important speech of Biden's career is tonight and seriously the most important SOTU in decades. 

Hopefully he doesn't mispronounce a word and send millions off to vote for the guy who is (see the Seth Meyers video above).

• Rage+1 1