Guy Ritchie & Cavill - The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

Post Oak

22 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it's true that it was a story.

The British did set up a ministry to do secret mission type shit but the movie seems to take some liberties.  The book by Damien Lewis is a fun read for WWII nerds.

Directed by Guy Ritchie, based on the 2015 book by Damien Lewis and inspired by true events, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare details the World War II strategies conceived by United Kingdom Prime Minister Winston Churchill and James Bond creator and author Ian Fleming, whose clandestine squad’s unconventional and entirely ‘ungentlemanly’ fighting techniques against the Nazis helped change the course of the war and in part gave birth to the modern Black Ops unit.

oh-yes-oh-yeah.gif

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Directed by Guy Ritchie, based on the 2015 book by Damien Lewis and inspired by true events, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare details the World War II strategies conceived by United Kingdom Prime Minister Winston Churchill and James Bond creator and author Ian Fleming, whose clandestine squad’s unconventional and entirely ‘ungentlemanly’ fighting techniques against the Nazis helped change the course of the war and in part gave birth to the modern Black Ops unit.

oh-yes-oh-yeah.gif

I assume this is about the SOE.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray

• 2 months later...

I saw this last night.  It was a fun movie.  I have no idea how much of it was historically accurate. I assume that there really was a WW2. 

I won't spoil much, but Eiza Gonzalez is just stunningly beautiful. 

Lots of Nazis die.  It felt like a Tarantino movie at times.

The music choices were interesting, but it's a Guy Ritchie movie; it all worked. 

I missed a couple of plot points, and there were a few anachronisms, but overall it was a very enjoyable movie.

"Fleming.  Ian Fleming."

• Hook 'Em 1

I enjoyed the movie.  Highly fictionalized might be an understatement.  On the actual Operation Postmaster, there were, in fact, no Nazis, no uboats, and no explosions.  It was actually just a well executed cutting out of the freighter and the tugs.  It did demonstrate the effectiveness of the SOE and SSRF in conducting raids to stymie the German war effort.

It's a lot more fun to see a bunch of Nazis slaughtered though.

1 hour ago, Felix said:

I enjoyed the movie.  Highly fictionalized might be an understatement.  On the actual Operation Postmaster, there were, in fact, no Nazis, no uboats, and no explosions.  It was actually just a well executed cutting out of the freighter and the tugs.  It did demonstrate the effectiveness of the SOE and SSRF in conducting raids to stymie the German war effort.

It's a lot more fun to see a bunch of Nazis slaughtered though.

At the risk of repeating myself 

IMG_1210.gif.faae179808ed8f3f98fd45ecaf8455df.gif

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2024 at 7:02 PM, 4th&Five said:

It’s not Inglorious Basterds but it was pretty good. 

58 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I think I probably enjoyed this one more, but I like both movies.

Thoroughly enjoyed this one and my wife did too.  I did find myself questioning if Tarantino directed instead of Ritchie.  

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this one and my wife did too.  I did find myself questioning if Tarantino directed instead of Ritchie.  

Someone asked me about this film at work and I said that it felt like a Tarantino movie at various points.

19 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I posted about it in the "last movie you saw" thread, but my son and I watched this last weekend and we loved it. Not super historically accurate but very fun. The violence was pretty comical - reminded us of Bullet Train.  

Yeah, but more fun. I mean, who doesn't like dead Nazis?

Fun movie.

Cleopatra dress was worth the price of admission.

On 1/30/2024 at 5:16 PM, Frank The Tank said:

Is this the movie version of Rogue Heroes?

I’m trying to square the “true story-ness” of both productions. 

Were these two different groups?  Seemed like the same tagline but I didn't recognize any of the same character names and on Rogue Heroes they started out in the desert.

3 hours ago, austingirl said:

I posted about it in the "last movie you saw" thread, but my son and I watched this last weekend and we loved it. Not super historically accurate but very fun. The violence was pretty comical - reminded us of Bullet Train.  

Loved Bullet Train and parts of this movie also felt like that one as well. The comedic violence is one of the things I enjoyed. The opening scene on the boat was just fantastic.