Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

NASCAR:Full Speed is pretty good. It’s a 5 episode, DTS style chronicle of the playoffs. One takeaway is how different NASCAR is from F1, both in personalities and technology. Another was that Denny Hamlin is an asshole. 
Watched it last night, not too shabby. It also reminds me why I quit watching, too much drama. Just race, old school race.

I think Denny wants to win and knows his window is closing...always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

Re NASCAR and Denny- how in the hell can someone drive for one team and own another one, all on the same track?  Maybe it's not a rule written into the official rules because it's so damn obvious that it's a problem, but seems like a really bad idea.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I watched the first episode of some sci-fi series called another life about first contact.  What a piece of shit.  The plot made no sense, the CGI was bad, the acting was worse, and it was like my daughter was the science advisor. I haven’t decided if I’m going to watch the second episode yet

There’s also a season 2!

Re NASCAR and Denny- how in the hell can someone drive for one team and own another one, all on the same track?  Maybe it's not a rule written into the official rules because it's so damn obvious that it's a problem, but seems like a really bad idea.
Been that way for years. Look at Tony Stewart the driver before retiring, he owned Stewart-Haas Racing. Drove under Gibbs but then left Gibbs and retired fully and focused on his team.

That's just how Nascar is.
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

His family is awesome.  Really nice to see that they love him so much and just roll with things.  (Love on the Spectrum)

I wonder how they vet the families- they are all great as far as I remember. It’s an important part of the character of the show, which hits the mark of rooting for and laughing with, and not something negative.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

lol I’m fucking dying at Connor filling out his speed dating card in front of his dates

Not to sound crass but whenever they showed his family I was just thinking about how hard I’d fuck his mom. She’s got one free ticket to PleasureTown on the Helo Express whenever she wants it. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Not to sound crass but whenever they showed his family I was just thinking about how hard I’d fuck his mom. She’s got one free ticket to PleasureTown on the Helo Express whenever she wants it. 

Yeah he said “someone younger than my mom” and I was like “I dunno man”

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I'm sure she'd be thrilled to hear that.

Nature Boy. A documentary that originally aired on ESPN. When I was a kid I and 2 other friends ran the video camera at the Methodist Church. We'd watch Mid South rasslin out of a Lake Charles station or a Godzilla movie on channel 13 out of Houston if it was somehow better than Mid South. The only problem was we'd forget to switch back to the camera after the sermon the preacher would go missing for large chunks of time. Received dozens of complaints from the local nursing home 

I finished the 6 part Alexander, the making of a god.  I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was a good blend of dramatic reenactment and discussions by historians.  They were good about including the historians talking about what was based on historical records and what was speculation. Stateira was a real slut.

• Hook 'Em 3

i'm probably way behind on this one, i don't know how many years ago it was released...but the World War II series is incredible, primarily because the footage is absolutely astounding! 😮 we ended up watching sort of in preparation for a WWII site-seeing trip to Germany and France we've got planned with my dad in a few months. i have never seen footage this extensive, plus they colorized a lot of it, so it's just mind-blowing. i'm legit shocked that this much footage even exists!

anyways...it's really, really good. 

Edited by mchookem

5 hours ago, mchookem said:

i'm probably way behind on this one, i don't know how many years ago it was released...but the World War II series is incredible, primarily because the footage is absolutely astounding! 😮 we ended up watching sort of in preparation for a WWII site-seeing trip to Germany and France we've got planned with my dad in a few months. i have never seen footage this extensive, plus they colorized a lot of it, so it's just mind-blowing. i'm legit shocked that this much footage even exists!

What is the name of it?

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I finished the 6 part Alexander, the making of a god.  I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was a good blend of dramatic reenactment and discussions by historians.  They were good about including the historians talking about what was based on historical records and what was speculation. Stateira was a real slut.

Sometimes I wish I was alive during the Ancient Greece times 

• Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

17 hours ago, Celery Man said:

lol I’m fucking dying at Connor filling out his speed dating card in front of his dates

Was great. Also loved how he wrote about one girl that she didn’t like nature then negged another chick who was huge into nature. 

There were couple of the people on the show that were automatic fast forwards for me (that Dani girl eg) but Connor was a must watch. 

4 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Sometimes I wish I was alive during the Ancient Greece times 

Same.  That scene in episode 1 was hot. 

Though my new favorite thing is the conservative outrage of "Omg Netflix is SO WOKE and made Alexander gay"

Well if you watched the fucking thing, they specifically mention a) he was historically known to be very close with Hephaestion, so much so that it was said the only thing that defeated Alexander was Hephaestion's thighs, b) he was rumored to be very openly affectionate with men and kissed Bagoas the Eunuch in public and c) the Greeks didn't even have a fucking concept of homosexuality, they just loved sex.  

What's the old saying? The Greeks invented sex and the Romans found out you could also have sex with women. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 8:20 PM, Hook1997 said:

The Greatest Night in Pop, on the making of We Are The World is good.  Still crazy to think they got all of those people together to record all night after an awards show.  Pretty cool seeing all the footage from the recording.  

Late to the party here but a +1 on this recommendation, especially if you are a GenXer and this came out when you were in high school. It hits all the nostalgia vibes and really is an incredible story to get so many actual legends of the music business together to pull an all-nighter. The footage of icons like Diana Ross, Paul Simon, Tina Turner, and Bruce Springsteen lounging around together like a bunch of college students is just an amazing piece of cultural history. 

• Like 1

Was great. Also loved how he wrote about one girl that she didn’t like nature then negged another chick who was huge into nature. 

There were couple of the people on the show that were automatic fast forwards for me (that Dani girl eg) but Connor was a must watch. 

We love this show and hate that it’s so brief. We enjoy all of them as they have such different approaches to life. Dani is so driven and unemotional in her personality vs some of the others. This is a special show in how it treats these folks with dignity and grace instead of exploiting them.

48 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

We love this show and hate that it’s so brief. We enjoy all of them as they have such different approaches to life. Dani is so driven and unemotional in her personality vs some of the others. This is a special show in how it treats these folks with dignity and grace instead of exploiting them.

100% agree at how well folks are portrayed and treated in a respectful manner. I just didn’t like Dani, the older guy or the guy from Boston that was using IG to find dates with ladies that seemed to just be fishing for their time on screen. All in all I liked the Australian show better top to bottom. 

But from US show I could watch Connor, the guy from Clemson & the couple that went on safari all day. 

I watched the episode of Suits last night where there was tension in the firm. Mike was almost found out, and Louis was an asshole until redeeming himself in the end. It was also the one where Donna and Rachel were wearing tight clothes. 

(little repetitive but I'm still watching)

• Haha 4

On 2/9/2024 at 11:02 AM, Red Five said:

I watched the episode of Suits last night where there was tension in the firm. Mike was almost found out, and Louis was an asshole until redeeming himself in the end. It was also the one where Donna and Rachel were wearing tight clothes. 

(little repetitive but I'm still watching)

Markle’s ass in a pencil skirt got me through 7 seasons. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 12:02 AM, mchookem said:

• Hook 'Em 1

Just FYI  Dateline also did an episode on this awhile back so some may remember it from there.  
Was Netflix's pretty accurate? I know they sensationalize on some of these and they can differ from another sources version. Dateline is usually pretty neutral in their reporting

Was Netflix's pretty accurate? I know they sensationalize on some of these and they can differ from another sources version. Dateline is usually pretty neutral in their reporting
Yeah from what i can remember about the Dateline one. I think I probably preferred the Dateline one, but the Netflix one probably has a lot more interaction with the victim guy in it. Still crazy either way lol.

Also not really sure why it wasn't investigated more early on when all death threats by text/email were happening. Just seemed like "welp we don't know where she is but hey let her keep sending death threats to everyone"[/spoilers]

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yeah from what i can remember about the Dateline one. I think I probably preferred the Dateline one, but the Netflix one probably has a lot more interaction with the victim guy in it. Still crazy either way lol.

Reveal hidden contents

Also not really sure why it wasn't investigated more early on when all death threats by text/email were happening. Just seemed like "welp we don't know where she is but hey let her keep sending death threats to everyone"[/spoilers]

Spoiler

Agreed on that. Detectives dropped the ball for sure. Although, it's kind of hindsight 20/20 thinking. But to not even cover all your bases and check out the love triangle angle. But I guess those guys don't have a ton of experience with these types of cases, especially the digital angle. But her burning down her own house with her pets inside is fucking insane. I'm sure she did that to throw them off her scent to the point that no one is killing their own pets.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 10:40 PM, TexEx15 said:

Another vote for Loudermilk. I hope it gets revived on Netflix.

I just finished it last week and thought it was great. You have to wonder with a couple year gap how much of the band they could get back together, but I hope they give it a go. 

On 2/11/2024 at 2:47 PM, tbone_ said:

Couple episodes into The Tourist. Pretty good so far.

I'm a few episodes in.  It's ok and while I fully appreciate it's quite normal to suspend disbelief when watching a show but the opening scene and the apparent inability to outmaneuver a fucking 18 wheeler and then a subsequent non death scene I won't spoil really annoy me.

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm a few episodes in.  It's ok and while I fully appreciate it's quite normal to suspend disbelief when watching a show but the opening scene and the apparent inability to outmaneuver a fucking 18 wheeler and then a subsequent non death scene I won't spoil really annoy me.

Yeah, I was laughing at that. Also, Semis don't out run cars when the car is on a flat smooth road and the semi is at a dead stop in the middle of the desert.

Just wait till the well climber scene.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, rage-a-holic said:

Yeah, I was laughing at that. Also, Semis don't out run cars when the car is on a flat smooth road and the semi is at a dead stop in the middle of the desert.

Just wait till the well climber scene.

Well climber is the exact scene I was thinking of.  That is the episode I left off yesterday.  Ridiculous.   Show is still solid enough for what I need out of it (something to watch while doing cardio) but that's some lazy fucking writing.  Or maybe just intentionally bad in that respect?