MIA's thread of crock pot dominance

MissingInAction

Been busy af lately which has forced me to make poor dieting choices due to time constraints. I have heard the wonders of crock pot quisine, and how you just throw shit in there and let it cook all day. 

This is my first crock pot, and would appreciate any tips, recipes, etc to help get me on the right path. 

Buy a roast....

Salt and pepper it and then pan sear it on both sides.

Chop a sweet onion and slice some mushrooms.

Large can of cream of mushroom soup and I add a bout a cup of sour cream as well.

All together in the crock.

Low for about 6 hours.

Mash some potatoes and cook some carrots.

Serve.

The end.

Chuck Roast somewhere around 4 lbs.

Packet of Zesty Italian Dressing mix

1 White or Yellow onion

Beef Stock or 2 bouillon cubes + 12 or so oz water

1 jar (8 oz?) pepperoncini peppers, sliced

Slice the onion, lay it on the bottom of the pot, roast on top.  Pepperoncini around the roast + a couple tablespoons of the brine if you like.

Dressing mix spread to cover all.

Stock or Bouillon + Water until the roast is about half-submerged.

Cook on low for about 8 hours.  Shred and pull out the larger pieces of fat/connective tissue that don't render.

Serve on toasted bolillo rolls or french rolls, top with provolone cheese. 

25 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

1 White or Yellow onion

Slice the onion, lay it on the bottom of the pot, roast on top.  Pepperoncini around the roast + a couple tablespoons of the brine if you like.

Dressing mix spread to cover all.

Stock or Bouillon + Water until the roast is about half-submerged.

Cook on low for about 8 hours.  Shred and pull out the larger pieces of fat/connective tissue that don't render.

Serve on toasted bolillo rolls or french rolls, top with provolone cheese. 

Add a half stick of butter too.

You can also serve over mashed potatoes, noodles or rice.

8 minutes ago, Dewey said:

For the kids reading this thread, learn to.cook, so you never have to use a crockpot.

It also helps you get laid

I am interested in this InstaPot thing. Going to look into it. 

Edited by Zepol87

Ha, fair enough, here you go!

4 T butter

4T olive oil

1 medium yellow or white onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 cups arborio rice

3/4 cup dry white wine

32 oz chicken stock

Parmesan Cheese, finely grated

salt/pepper

Sweat onion in oil/butter until translucent, then add garlic and sweat an additional minute or so.

Add rice and cook until mostly translucent, beginning to take on golden color.

Add wine and cook until you can't smell the alcohol.  2-3 minutes.

Add stock, seal, bring to low pressure.  Keep at low pressure for 5 minutes, then de-pressurize and remove lid.

Stir in about a handful of the grated cheese, any heavy cream (optional), and any herbs you're wanting to add.

Salt and Pepper to taste

Stir until texture is correct.

Plate in warm bowls, top with whatever you like.  I use some combination of crisped pancetta, roasted brussels sprouts, roasted asparagus, mushrooms, or cherry tomatoes sauteed with balsamic.

Oh, and extra cheese and lemon wedges if you like that sort of thing.

Edited by kilroydos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kilroydos said:

1 White or Yellow onion

I will vouch for this one, except mine was too peppery.  Either I used more than 8 oz, or I should have just put the peppers in and not all the juice in the jar. 

This is my #1 recommendation: https://www.thespruceeats.com/slow-cooker-creole-chicken-with-sausage-3054982

Really tasty and really easy.

Also, general tip: always use chicken thighs instead of breasts. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 3:47 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Chili, beans, and queso are about the only things I cook in a crock pot.  

Never had good results with any roast or chicken.  Even on low, mine cooks too fast.

This is me as well. First time temps get below 60, I'm getting up early and making charro beans and let them simmer all day long. 

On 7/16/2018 at 11:22 AM, Orange^White said:

If it is not too late, take the crock pot back and get an instant pot. 

The Instant Pot has the same capabilities as the Crock Pot, but not vice versa.

I make kickass and super easy mushroom risotto, Tikka Masala, Roast, Vindaloo, etc in my Instant Pot.

Where are the recipes asshole?

A pro tip for making stew in a Crock Pot that I saw while back...maybe on the old site...Put in whole, uncut vegetables (potato, onion, bell pepper, carrot).  When the meat it tender, remove those vegetables and put in the diced vegetables and cook for another 20-30 minutes until they are tender but not mush.  

On 7/22/2018 at 9:35 PM, Spur08 said:

Where are the recipes asshole?

Tikka Masala:

Ingredients

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 2 1- inch piece of ginger peeled and chopped
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional
  • 1/2 14 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into strips
  • 1/3 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup canned coconut milk
  • 2 tsp lemon
  • Chopped fresh basil for garnish

Marinade

1 cup coconut milk

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 clove minced garlic

2 inch piece of minced ginger

Combine all ingredients and add in chicken strips and marinate for 1 hour.

Instructions

1. For the Slow Cooker:
  2. Mix together onion, ginger, and garlic with tomatoes in a small bowl. Add in all the spices and continue to whisk until well blended. Place on the bottom of the slow cooker, add chicken on the top, then chicken broth.
  3. Set the slow cooker to low, and cook for 4 hours. Once cooking is complete, add in coconut milk. Remove chicken for a minute to shred or cut, and place back into slow cooker. If mixture is too watery, add in arrowroot starch to lemon juice. Add to slow cooker for an extra 10-15 minutes and mixture thickens. If not using arrowroot starch, add the lemon juice and serve immediately with fresh basil or cilantro. Season with salt.
  4. For the Instant Pot:
  5. Select saute on your instant pot and turn to high heat. Once pot is hot add olive oil, ginger, onion, and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes stirring until onion is translucent.
  6. Select cancel, and add all the spices to the onion mixture scraping the bottom to form a paste. Add the tomatoes, stir, then nestle the chicken on top. Pour chicken broth on top. Secure the lid.
  7. Select manual and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
  8. Release pressure and let simmer until desired consistency.
  9. Once cooking is complete, use a quick release. Remove the lid and chop chicken (a fork is fine since it will be nice and tender). Place chicken back into the Instant Pot.
  10. Select saute, and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add in coconut milk. If mixture is too thin, add in arrowroot starch to the lemon juice, then pour into mixture.
  11. Season with salt as needed, and once mixture is thick, serve immediately with fresh basil over rice

6 hours ago, Orange^White said:

Tikka Masala:

Ingredients

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 2 1- inch piece of ginger peeled and chopped
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional
  • 1/2 14 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into strips
  • 1/3 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup canned coconut milk
  • 2 tsp lemon
  • Chopped fresh basil for garnish

Marinade

1 cup coconut milk

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 clove minced garlic

2 inch piece of minced ginger

Combine all ingredients and add in chicken strips and marinate for 1 hour.

Instructions

1. For the Slow Cooker:
  2. Mix together onion, ginger, and garlic with tomatoes in a small bowl. Add in all the spices and continue to whisk until well blended. Place on the bottom of the slow cooker, add chicken on the top, then chicken broth.
  3. Set the slow cooker to low, and cook for 4 hours. Once cooking is complete, add in coconut milk. Remove chicken for a minute to shred or cut, and place back into slow cooker. If mixture is too watery, add in arrowroot starch to lemon juice. Add to slow cooker for an extra 10-15 minutes and mixture thickens. If not using arrowroot starch, add the lemon juice and serve immediately with fresh basil or cilantro. Season with salt.
  4. For the Instant Pot:
  5. Select saute on your instant pot and turn to high heat. Once pot is hot add olive oil, ginger, onion, and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes stirring until onion is translucent.
  6. Select cancel, and add all the spices to the onion mixture scraping the bottom to form a paste. Add the tomatoes, stir, then nestle the chicken on top. Pour chicken broth on top. Secure the lid.
  7. Select manual and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
  8. Release pressure and let simmer until desired consistency.
  9. Once cooking is complete, use a quick release. Remove the lid and chop chicken (a fork is fine since it will be nice and tender). Place chicken back into the Instant Pot.
  10. Select saute, and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add in coconut milk. If mixture is too thin, add in arrowroot starch to the lemon juice, then pour into mixture.
  11. Season with salt as needed, and once mixture is thick, serve immediately with fresh basil over rice

Isn't the point of a crock pot to throw a bunch of shit in there, set it and come back 5 hours later to a complete meal? If you're going to take the time to marinate your proteins, prep all those veggies, portion out all those spices, why wouldn't you go the extra mile to prepare it traditionally so that it tastes better?

45 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Isn't the point of a crock pot to throw a bunch of shit in there, set it and come back 5 hours later to a complete meal? If you're going to take the time to marinate your proteins, prep all those veggies, portion out all those spices, why wouldn't you go the extra mile to prepare it traditionally so that it tastes better?

I use my instant pot to make this. The draw is using pressure cooking and not having to stew it for several hours in a crock pot. I can do an hours prep and then be eating in less than two hours. 

Just now, Orange^White said:

I use my instant pot to make this. The draw is using pressure cooking and not having to stew it for several hours in a crock pot. I can do an hours prep and then be eating in less than two hours. 

Instapot makes sense. Crock pot not so much.

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

A lot of times I see "crock pot" recipes that really just need to go in a dutch oven on the stove. The only things I use my crock pot for are queso, pot roast, and occasionally reheating chili or beans or what have you.

48 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

If the stove has low enough temperature control, crock pot and dutch oven are the same thing.

Well what I meant is that you can still do one pot cooking with the added benefit of starting the Dutch oven on hot and searing the proteins, sweating the vegetables, etc. 

But once you're in braise mode, yes. 

Carnitas:

get the meat from HEB, if they are open. 4 ish pounds

oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper. More is better.

quarter an onion. Put half on the bottom of the crockpot.

throw garlic cloves in. 5-37, no more.

juice of 2 navel oranges, 7 small limes.

place meat in, cover with rest of onion and another 5-37 garlic cloves. 8 hours on low.

after 8 hours, shred meat with 2 or more forks, leave in juice for another 30 minutes, have 1-3 drinks. Set oven to broil.

after 30 minutes, put meat on a pan and broil for 3-5 minutes to finish. Pour drink.

serve with tortillas, rice, beans, etc... These are delicious.

• 3 months later...

If you don’t mind a roast instead of turkey you can do a Mississippi Pot Roast.

4 lb chuck roast
1 package of au jus gravy mix
1 package Ranch dressing mix
1 stick butter
4 or 5 pepperoncinis

Put the roast in the crock pot and sprinkle with pepper. Spread the au jus and ranch dressing mixes on the roast. Place a stick of butter on top of the roast and drop the pepperoncinis in the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours.

It’s fucking delicious. I usually make some mashed potatoes to go with it and use the liquid in the crockpot as gravy.