Texas (-2.5) vs Colorado State- Thursday at 5:50 on TNT

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

we allowed them a million wide open threes just like we did every single other team we played this season. it’s not like this defensive performance was discernibly different any other defensive performance we’ve had this year, it’s just that our opponent sucks from deep and was especially shitty tonight. the plethora of wide open looks wasn’t due to some special game plan, that’s just who we are.

We kicked the shit out of a 10 seed that had already won a game.

Sleep this one off dude.

• Haha 2

On 3/20/2024 at 5:02 PM, shadow_operative said:

kenpom has us winning 73-72.

Post #1 on the thread.  Not that I put much stock in KenPom, especially for any given game, but whatever.  A double digit win doesn't suck.

Yes, we looked like ass.   I can't imagine winning tournament games with Disu + Abmas combining for 24 points, but here we are.  I expect a much better performance on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I am not the biggest Horton fan, but I really like bringing Weaver off the bench. His energy really brings a spark and helped us with the 25-3 run. Rice gave a similar spark last year off the bench. Weaver is in the closing 5 and that is what matters.

Also Horton had a pretty good game. His 7 rebounds were big. Played good defense too. In the end Weaver got double his minutes which is about right.

This was the fewest points CSU has scored in THREE years. They aren’t scrubs. At one point they were ranked 13th. You could make a case that they should have been an 8/9 seed.

Election 2016 GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

we allowed them a million wide open threes just like we did every single other team we played this season. it’s not like this defensive performance was discernibly different any other defensive performance we’ve had this year, it’s just that our opponent sucks from deep and was especially shitty tonight. the plethora of wide open looks wasn’t due to some special game plan, that’s just who we are.

They are horrific from deep. In the last 9 games they averaged around 5.8 made 3’s a game. In a shitty conference too. They are the worst 3 point shooting team we’ve played all year. And we shot even worse from deep than them which I didn’t think would happen. That was an ugly game and not some defensive clinic. They missed layups and made some horrible passes and turnovers. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

They are horrific from deep. In the last 9 games they averaged around 5.8 made 3’s a game. In a shitty conference too. They are the worst 3 point shooting team we’ve played all year. And we shot even worse from deep than them which I didn’t think would happen. That was an ugly game and not some defensive clinic. They missed layups and made some horrible passes and turnovers. 

They missed layups because our bigs have length and force them to either rush shots or adjust because they have to shot over them. Jim Jackson talked about it multiple times.

Edited by HtownHorn

Horton is the definition og bench player. See if hot. 

RT fucked up the best adjustment of season, starting Weaver, by starting Horton again and reducing Weaver’s mins. 

He is the only guard who effectively attacks the rim(aside from the obvious). 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They missed layups because our bigs have length and force them to either rush shots or adjust because they have to shot over them. Jim Jackson talked about it multiple times.

Yeah, I think this is why RT went bigger than he normally does with Disu and Shedrick together. 

The entire idea was to guard the paint and live with a few open 3s. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

17 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I like Terry just fine. Seems like a good dude.

But, as I said from the start, he ONLY got the gig because CDC had no choice.

I want him to succeed. Would love it if he does. But he will be gone no later than March of '26.

And why did CDC have no choice?

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, I think this is why RT went bigger than he normally does with Disu and Shedrick together. 

The entire idea was to guard that paint and live with a few open 3s. 

Not just open 3's, but open 3's from their bad shooters. Hunter and Weaver took their best player off the court with ball denial the entire game.

Strong, Lake, Palmer went 3-11 from BTA. Those 3 combined to shoot .278 on the season, and Texas let them shoot nearly 50% of their attempts tonight. Texas had this team figured out the entire game. You want to talk about some of their other shooters missing shots, well so did Abmas and Disu, they missed wide open shoots all game, shit Abmas missed 3 FTs. It happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It was a mid season firing and the assistant came though and rallied the guys and they love him. He’s the coarch 

CSU sucks. I mean, yes they beat 3-seed Creighton by 21. And yes they beat 5-seed SDSU by 8. And yes they blew the fuck out of Virginia. And yes they beat Nevada and Colorado. But trust me they suck.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Not just open 3's, but open 3's from their bad shooters. Hunter and Weaver took their best player off the court with ball denial the entire game.

Strong, Lake, Palmer went 3-11 from BTA. Those 3 combined to shoot .278 on the season, and Texas let them shoot nearly 50% of their attempts tonight. Texas had this team figured out the entire game. You want to talk about some of their other shooters missing shots, well so did Abmas and Disu, they missed wide open shoots all game, shit Abmas missed 3 FTs. It happens.

Yup 

daring them to shoot threes, especially early in the shot clock when they had nobody to rebound in place

worked over and over they bricked everything

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Shaka got 6 years of no tournament wins and there are really people that think RT is going to be fired within 2 years coming off an elite 8 run and now another tournament win in year 2. 

I have no clue if RT is the right guy but he definitely isn't being fired within 2 years. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Shaka got 6 years of no tournament wins and there are really people that think RT is going to be fired within 2 years coming off an elite 8 run and now another tournament win in year 2. 

I have no clue if RT is the right guy but he definitely isn't being fired within 2 years. 

Let's keep the receipts here.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Let's keep the receipts here.

He's going to have a better team next year in a worse conference and you think he's going to go 0-fer, because that would be the only way he would get fired.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Don't look now, but derka's example of a great coach, Will Wade, is getting run off the floor by one of the worst Gonzaga team in Few's tenure.

will Wade and Chris beard; two of the biggest pieces of shit in cbb. 

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He's going to have a better team next year in a worst conference and you think he's going to go 0-fer, because that would be the only way he would get fired.

People really aren't factoring the SEC move into the equation. It's a significant drop-off going from the Big 12 to the SEC. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

People really aren't factoring the SEC move into the equation. It's a significant drop-off going from the Big 12 to the SEC. 

Just look at today's results.

MSU lost by 18

#3 seed UK lost to Oakland

#6 seed SC lost by 14

2 minutes ago, NOOBSDUDE said:

We just made it to thebround of 32 for the second straight year. It's like yall forgot about the Shaka years. I'm happy. We can beat Tennessee. Let's not forget that Colorado state team beat Creighton. 

The last time Texas made it to the round of 32 in consectutive years (with the same coach) was 2008-2009, when Barnes reached that level for the 4th straight year.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

How does the worse conference help us win games in the tourney?

Perception. 

Just go look at the people that argue "9-9 in the Big 12 is mediocre" in all the threads. 13-5 looks a lot better than 9-9 when reality is the Big 12 is just a much better conference. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

• Pancho unpinned this topic
32 minutes ago, Helobious said:

CSU is terrible from 3 and they were forced to take a lot of 3’s tonight. Definitely just pure luck and not at all having anything to do with Texas’ approach. 

RT postgame. 

"CSU is a team that attacks the paint. They play inside out. They are elite at it. Elite passing and cutting team. I thought our guys did a really good job of taking Isaiah out and keeping them out of the paint."

Just a totally lucky gameplan from Texas tonight. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Helobious said:

CSU is terrible from 3 and they were forced to take a lot of 3’s tonight. Definitely just pure luck and not at all having anything to do with Texas’ approach. 

Cool.  This guy and Derka align.  

we miss shots. Bad coaching.   They miss shots.  Rodney got lucky damn it. 

I fully expect Tennessee to run us off the court.  

but am relieved to see that Derka and helob have the same thoughts

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Wow, just noticed the final numbers.

We shot 7% from beyond the three point line. 
image.png.60515312f10aea6e5a7928618f2784cb.png

Well the other UT is shooting 50% from 3 right now .

so hopefully we’ll have a chance with both teams regressing to the mean

Edited by UTexasFight

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I am thinking helo was being sarcastic, but he's usually an idiot so maybe I am giving him to much credit.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He's being sarcastic.