2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

26 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Sorrell's numbers declined across the board in 2023 vs 2022. And he failed to record a sack in the last 5 games of the season. IMG_3544.thumb.png.9b9adca6731f064f6e11b08a92d23b58.png

I do not know what is more remarkable. The fact that this is the extent of your analysis of a player of that I am somehow still surprised you are this obtuse. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, ousux said:
On 3/27/2024 at 4:05 PM, utexas8 said:
So what does that mean about the WR spots since Wingo is so good. Bond and golden get spots. Would it be wingo bond golden cook? Moore seems to be good too. I wonder if someone transfers.

We're going to lose one or more receivers, it would take a helluva recruitment job to keep that room intact for '24 season. Running back room is going to be hard to keep as well.

Shut your white mouth 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:
2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Fuck.  It’s supposed to be whore.  His whore mouth 

Oh, please, may "shut your white mouth" find its place in the surly lexicon.

I believe he meant to say "shut your fucking white whore mouth".

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

On 3/28/2024 at 8:06 AM, closetojumping said:

This logic made more sense before the NIL era. I’m not saying a guy or two won’t walk in the WR room or the TB room, but all of the guys we all would really want to stick would be walking away from life-changing money and real playing time. 

Now, if Savion Red walks or whoever is at the back of the WR line that I forgot was on the roster (is Cain still here? Niblett maybe?), sure. Frankly, Red leaving won’t surprise or bother me and, looking at the data, I don’t think that would bother the coaches either. 

there is no reason for folks to be worried about the WR room at this point in time. between portal, Sark's offense and NIL it's the position i'm the absolutely least worried about on the entire squad.

image.thumb.png.589cc9b480a1f2e398ae2e37301aabfa.png

Cain is at UNLV now. Niblett is still here. Red is here (for now)

i'm going to assume we see a good bit of attrition from the RB room over the next 9 months - just a ton of dudes who are trying to come back from injury (Dubose, Linvingstone), haven't taken real snaps but were development guys anyway (Niblett) and guys who may not be WR anyway (Butler.)

this is a very good, very deep WR room - a top 5 of Bolden, Golden, Bond, Cook, Wingo is exceptional. 

same for RB. who knows what happens there but as long as Choice is here i'm not worried.

• Hook 'Em 7

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

there is no reason for folks to be worried about the WR room at this point in time. between portal, Sark's offense and NIL it's the position i'm the absolutely least worried about on the entire squad.

i'm going to assume we see a good bit of attrition from the RB room over the next 9 months - just a ton of dudes who are trying to come back from injury (Dubose, Linvingstone), haven't taken real snaps but were development guys anyway (Niblett) and guys who may not be WR anyway (Butler.)

this is a very good, very deep WR room - a top 5 of Bolden, Golden, Bond, Cook, Wingo is exceptional. 

same for RB. who knows what happens there but as long as Choice is here i'm not worried.

I love that chart.  Do you have it for all positions?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NoName said:

there is no reason for folks to be worried about the WR room at this point in time.

Right?

I think a lot of us have been burned so badly over the past... oh, 30 or 40 years... that the idea we would be ahead in any ONE of these areas:

- offensive scheme

- paying players

- stacking the roster

- developing talent

- coaching staff hires

...is just completely alien to us.

The only one (and a half) we've ever had any advantage on among the above since I started following college ball was staff hires and DB/DT development; Mack Brown put together a really good staff in the mid-00's, even if it had some major flaws here and there.

You gotta go back to the DKR days when we had an offensive scheme advantage and (thanks to a lack of scholarship limits) stacking the roster. (I think there's a possibility we'll be able to do this with NIL, too. I like the direction we're going in with it, and I'm grateful the guys behind Texas One seem to know what they're doing.)

I can't really judge player development so well. We had GREAT DL development under Mack Brown, for sure; you knew if we recruited a blue chip, he'd be great.

But pickings in the WR room have been thin for a long time, and even when we had talent under Mack, only one of those guys (McGarity) showed up to the NFL ready to play.

Just saying... it takes time for people to get their heads around How Things Are Now. CTJ's telling us the same things about our team he was last off-season (i.e. "People who I know who are NEVER high on the team have turned into slobbering golden retrievers over our players") and I'm still struggling with the idea.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, NoName said:

there is no reason for folks to be worried about the WR room at this point in time.

Is anyone? 

Actually I'm not worried about any room at this time. Safety could get wrecked pretty badly with a couple of injuries. TE too. 

Reminds me of the first game of 2005 and the talk at our tailgate. Our only real cause for concern was backup QB. 

49 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You gotta go back to the DKR days when we had an offensive scheme advantage and (thanks to a lack of scholarship limits) stacking the roster. (I think there's a possibility we'll be able to do this with NIL, too. I like the direction we're going in with it, and I'm grateful the guys behind Texas One seem to know what they're doing.

Please do not perpetuate this Aggie nonsense here.  The SWC had scholarship limits starting in 1965.  And Texas was not even signing the biggest classes in that era or stacking tons of talent.  It was mostly coaching, scheme, and very good S&C under Medina.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Please do not perpetuate this Aggie nonsense here.  The SWC had scholarship limits starting in 1965.  And Texas was not even signing the biggest classes in that era or stacking tons of talent.  It was mostly coaching, scheme, and very good S&C under Medina.

Calling what I said "Aggie" is ridiculously overboard, don't you think?

We did have larger than most schools' scholarship rosters before 1965, and it was an advantage for us. I should be able to say that without some dumbshit accusation of "aggy"-ness.

S&C is obviously critical in taking advantage of that (cf Nebraska's in the 80's and 90's when they had a gazillion walk-ons on hometown scholarships), which is why I had "player development" explicitly called out above.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Wife: “Hi, honey. What are you reading?”

Me: “Oh, I’m on a website where men talk to other men, and we discuss other men’s bodies, and how ripped the men look, cause they’ve added so much muscle.” 

Wife: “Okay. Is there something you’d like to tell me?”

You know, I've got that one friend who never married, whose only girlfriend in high school came out as lesbian soon after, and had a lot of weightlifting magazines as a teenager.

I mean hey... if he wants to tell me at any time, he's welcome to do it. But I can understand why he might still not have said anything, even after all these years.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If I had to pick the season starters at WR, it’s likely going to be Bond, Cook, Wingo, with Moore/Golden coming in with a heavy rotation.  

Wingo starting game one ahead of Golden is certainly a take. 

Also, Bolden caught 54 passes for 746 yards and 5 TDs last year. He didn't come here to be Casey Cain. 

Edited by Red Five
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Wingo starting game one ahead of Golden is certainly a take. 

Also, Bolden caught 54 passes for 746 yards and 5 TDs last year. He didn't come here to be Casey Cain. 

Well when the dude is getting compared to Roy Williams by people that are viewing practices in person, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start day 1.  Baxter started day one as well, Sark isn’t shy of playing freshman.  Golden had 400 yards receiving last year, I don’t think he’s got a starting spot locked down like Bond.  I’m looking forward to seeing Bolden but yeah, I don’t think Sark is throwing a 5’8 165 lb dude out there starting at WR against the big physical DBs Michigan has.  

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Wife: “Hi, honey. What are you reading?”

Me: “Oh, I’m on a website where men talk to other men, and we discuss other men’s bodies, and how ripped the men look, cause they’ve added so much muscle.” 

Wife: “Okay. Is there something you’d like to tell me?”

Tell her you joined this new group called NAMBLA. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I don’t think Sark is throwing a 5’8 165 lb dude out there starting at WR against the big physical DBs Michigan has.

He plays all over the field, inside and out, and has tons of production at the P5 level. Also, X Worthy is also about 165 lbs. Do you think Sark would have been scared to play Worthy against Michigan?

I am curious how we manage the egos though. We definitely have four guys expecting to be in the starting lineup game one. One reason I'd be pretty shocked to see Wingo starting from the get-go. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He plays all over the field, inside and out, and has tons of production at the P5 level. Also, X Worthy is also about 165 lbs. Do you think Sark would have been scared to play Worthy against Michigan?

I am curious how we manage the egos though. We definitely have four guys expecting to be in the starting lineup game one. One reason I'd be pretty shocked to see Wingo starting from the get-go. 

He's going to be a better version of Keilan Robinson. That dude is little but if you watch him play he's physical as shit and runs hard. Victory worried about 1 receiver vs michigan when we're going to have 4-6 guys who can house the ball from anywhere on the field. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 hours ago, AP101S said:

There are a lot of tabs in that file depending n your interest. If you enjoy memory lane, there's a tab for where things stood at the end of each season since 2011. There are Texas by Class and Aggie by Class tabs which shows what happened to every recruit since 2017. The Aggie Grid is an alternative to the depth chart/class style I use for Texas. It shows each recruit by class (rather than remaining eligibility) and their player rating. I don't track depth chart for Aggie since I don't follow them close enough and Ourlads.com does a better job of tracking than I could do. The Roster tab is a dump from the Texas web site and is used by formulas in the 2024 tab to update the jersey numbers. The player positions and depth chart in the 2024 tab is based on what I read on Surly, which includes a lot of speculation. When the season starts, I'll update them based on the official depth chart each week.

This is fucking awesome

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Just caught up on this thread.  I think it’s a bit pre-mature with some of the transfer noise.  If I had to pick the season starters at WR, it’s likely going to be Bond, Cook, Wingo, with Moore/Golden coming in with a heavy rotation.  Bolden is like 5’8 and 165 pounds.  I think we’ll see him in a Keilan role.  I’m not all that worried about Moore transferring.  Dude has it hella good with NiL here.  His whole family moved here and lives in Austin and they were helped with setting up a food truck business.  Based on all his interviews, the kid is beyond mature for his age and I don’t think he would bolt and leave the situation him and his family have here for more reps when he can wait another year and the playing time path will be there for him with Arch throwing him the ball.  Hell, dude may play himself into starting role this year with the way his teammates rave about him and his work ethics. A dude that shows up 30 min before everyone else to practice doesn’t sound like a dude looking to transfer when you add in NiL.

This DL is loaded.  Lots of pussy talk about sec blah blah blah.  Last time I watched us play an SEC team, I saw Ethan Burke abuse the SEC champs and Burke is only going to get better.  Collins, Sorrell, Burke will forsure get drafted.  Collins and Burke have a chance to be day 1 or 2 picks.  Collins needs to be consistent on the field, he has all the athletic traits.  Burke’s motor, measurables are what NFL scouts salivate about and dude has barely scratched the surface of his ability.  He’s on the Charles O trajectory but further ahead.  Sweat and Murphy being gone is definitely a downgrade but our edge position is stacked and our DT rotation is nothing sneeze at.  Outside of UGA, Bama, I’m not sure I would trade our DTs for anyone else in the SEC and that includes aggy.  Also sounds like Texas has a fat bag of cash ready for a DT portal candidate.  And if we land one, this roster has no weaknesses.  I would not trade our roster for any other school including Georgia.  

This is the kind of sunshine pumping I come here for.  Well done.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Tight End

The room lacks great depth but the first four are pretty good (Gunnar Helm, Juan Davis, Amari Niblack, Jordan Washington). "Washington isn't there yet but he will be, probably as soon as fall camp."

Spencer Shannon and Will Randle are coming along.

OK, Raggy. But if this is lacking great depth, we sure have come a long ways. Helm looked pretty damn good last season as a receiver with the limited opportunities thrown his way. Hoping his blocking improves, and expect it probably will. He does whiff sometimes.

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The corners have a better understanding of the defense, not finding themselves "watching" the quarterback as much.

Music to my ears if it rings true this fall. Secondary has to get better than last season.

46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Alex January is learning but the first Spring is often difficulty, especially for the bigger players. "He's learning; he'll be good."

Newapprentice.jpg.392a62571c6203b605f9c9cc36699438.jpg

Overall, lot of Kool-Aid in this report.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, NoName said:

Butler is a WR, and a damn good one. He nor Moore are transferring. Outside of Red, none of the RB'S will be portal candidates, as Blue may leave early and either Gibson or Clark will move up the depth chart, and I don't believe either will be portal candidates, either. The attrition will probably come from the defense (I.e. Burrell, Holmes, Mitchell, and on offense Red/Niblett for WR) That's the 4/5 we need to shed to get to 85. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Forgot Niblett