Jobs for 15 year old in Austin?

My 15 year son wants to find a part-time job over the summer.  He did the city's teen summer job program last year but wants to do something different.

We know about lifeguarding with the city.  He was hoping for something in food service or movie theaters.  Most everything wants 16 year olds at a minimum.

Anyone have any leads in Austin?

If you want him to stay in school, I imagine you can get him on as a helper with a trade crew. Spend a summer fetching tools or digging ditches and school is a breeze.

Drug mule

jk

29 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

If you want him to stay in school, I imagine you can get him on as a helper with a trade crew. Spend a summer fetching tools or digging ditches and school is a breeze.

Good one here.  After a summer of sweating his butt off in the Austin sun, sitting in a classroom reading a textbook will be fun.

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If he's hoping for something in food service or movies, he should just apply in person. Almost all will hire 15 year olds, don't believe anything read online that says otherwise.

I read a local newspaper article a few years back quoting a theater manager who said, “A teenager who comes in and asks for a job wants it.  A grownup who comes in and asks for a job…you don’t know.”

• Hook 'Em 1

When he's old enough, have him get a job at HEB.  My daughter (no pics) worked there her senior year in high school, goes on LOA while she is away at college, picks up shifts over school breaks and summer, and gets two partner discount cards.  10% off HEB branded items which includes most chicken and beef.  The discount card works even while she is on LOA.  Over holiday weekends, the discount card goes to 25% off.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 8:17 AM, Jerry Callo said:

When he's old enough, have him get a job at HEB.  My daughter (no pics) worked there her senior year in high school, goes on LOA while she is away at college, picks up shifts over school breaks and summer, and gets two partner discount cards.  10% off HEB branded items which includes most chicken and beef.  The discount card works even while she is on LOA.  Over holiday weekends, the discount card goes to 25% off.

I used to manage an engineer that was great at engineering, but couldn’t take the stress that comes with the projects we’d execute.  He worked at HEB thru college, and was assistant manager or something similar when he left.   He wanted to go back so bad.  I often wonder if he ever just said fuck it, I’ll take the cut and returned after I left. 

On 4/3/2024 at 11:22 AM, The Tres Leches said:

My 15 year son wants to find a part-time job over the summer.  He did the city's teen summer job program last year but wants to do something different.

We know about lifeguarding with the city.  He was hoping for something in food service or movie theaters.  Most everything wants 16 year olds at a minimum.

Anyone have any leads in Austin?

I don't know about this situation, but there are plenty of jobs for teenage women.

At that age, my Pittsburgh nephews worked at a Cadillac and BMW dealership.  Washing and prepping just sold cars.   They loved it. 

Also, working for any licensed trade never hurt a soul.  

Earn some callouses, kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I remember my dad telling me to get a job in a grocery store, always good looking women coming in to shop.

Nothing better than a hot woman bending over to write a check. Great view from either side.

51 minutes ago, RPM said:

Nothing better than a hot woman bending over to write a check. Great view from either side.

Well sure, but the only women writing checks today are 80 and older. And no judgement if you're into that kinda thing, but it's not for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 4/8/2024 at 10:24 PM, woohorn said:

Kid got a job at Smoothie King at 15 and it turned out great. It was a lot of work because they were always short staffed. They were always looking for people.

Any smoothie type place = lot of chick customers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Well sure, but the only women writing checks today are 80 and older. And no judgement if you're into that kinda thing, but it's not for everyone.

Just another reason to hate the digital age. Back at the IGA in 1977 the age and neckline was much lower. The older ones were usually wearing bras. USUALLY!

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this since my daughter is in the similar situation. Also looking for good volunteer opportunities for her to look good

Fuck off perves

Sw austin area ideally
She wanna do it the hard way (lawn mowing service, set your own hours) or the easy way (lifeguard, way too much sun but great pay and boys)?

Whoever said soccer ref, that's a great idea but there aren't many opportunities in the summer.

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

She wanna do it the hard way (lawn mowing service, set your own hours) or the easy way (lifeguard, way too much sun but great pay and boys)?

Whoever said soccer ref, that's a great idea but there aren't many opportunities in the summer.

Just want to say that lifeguarding is not necessarily the easy way.  My oldest lifeguarded for one summer and didn't want to do it again.  She took it very seriously and didn't like the weight of potentially having to perform life saving measures.

16 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Just want to say that lifeguarding is not necessarily the easy way.  My oldest lifeguarded for one summer and didn't want to do it again.  She took it very seriously and didn't like the weight of potentially having to perform life saving measures.

good point. i've never lifeguarded and never considered the emotional toll of the responsibility.  

On 4/3/2024 at 12:13 PM, Parliament said:

Drug mule

jk

Good one here.  After a summer of sweating his butt off in the Austin sun, sitting in a classroom reading a textbook will be fun.

I told my dad after my freshman year I didn't want to go back to college. He got me a job working on a roofing crew that a friend of his ran. 

I was back in school that fall. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 8:59 PM, Updawg said:

Bumping this since my daughter is in the similar situation…

Fuck off perves

On 4/18/2024 at 11:33 PM, gsoda3 said:

She wanna do it the hard way 

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

On 4/18/2024 at 11:33 PM, gsoda3 said:

…or the easy way

Oh Come On GIF

On 4/10/2024 at 12:05 PM, RPM said:

Just another reason to hate the digital age. Back at the IGA in 1977 the age and neckline was much lower. The older ones were usually wearing bras. USUALLY!

COUNTERPOINT

1) Yoga pants

2) Sports bras

My 17 year old will be lifeguard this summer. Website showed you could 15 years old to apply as well. (I saw where OP kid not looking at lifeguarding but others might)

Need CPR certification and then they go through like 4 days (two weekends for him) of a combination of pool work and classroom study. 

They make $21/hr or so, so all in all a good gig

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

My daughter is applying to be a lifeguard at the neighborhood pools. Hopefully it works out well

Don't they have to get certified still? I had to be a certified lifeguard for a job I had back in the day teaching sailing at a summer camp. I swim like a fish, but holy shit that course was brutal. I guess I was 15 when I did the course, it was not something I would have done if I knew what it took. I only did it because I got to drive a motorboat around all day, swim and teach sailing. 

The qualifications she needs so far don’t seem too bad and she can easily do swimming wise etc. after that she would need to do the cpr etc.

I guess it’s how they screen them and onboard. It’s circle c in sw austin so others can chime in on how it is

I used to swim laps at the pool a lot and they seemed to have a good system. But we will see

She’s responsible and smart and a good swimmer and I Warned her of the bad parts but she is excited to try. Better than ditch digging

I had jobs renting jet skis, sail boats and windsurfers as a job as a kid. Lots of dumbasses to deal with for sure

We have a neighborhood kid that build a trailer he can pull behind his bike. Has his mower, weedeater, gas can, and other supplies. He works hard but I’m pretty sure he cleans up. Many people prefer to hire him over a larger company even if he can’t do it all year.

Doing something like that teaches a lot of transferable skills such as sales, marketing, dealing with customers, managing expenses, cheating on taxes etc. 

Don't they have to get certified still? I had to be a certified lifeguard for a job I had back in the day teaching sailing at a summer camp. I swim like a fish, but holy shit that course was brutal. I guess I was 15 when I did the course, it was not something I would have done if I knew what it took. I only did it because I got to drive a motorboat around all day, swim and teach sailing. 

This. I thought I was really comfortable in the water until a similar course kicked my ass. F that