immamac has permabanmed me against bob’s wishes. read this thread before it disappears.

So I'm fine putting this out there since people may not remember. 

Derka was permabanned from this site. I had many people reach out to me directly for months on end to allow him to post here again because he was directly reaching out to them, I declined. I don't think he's a productive member of the community, he's openly antagonistic, actively derails threads, injects outside context into posts and has a hard time divorcing reality from an internet message board. In short, he lacks the capability to be a productive and positive member of the community, but generates a fair bit of content that some people enjoy. The shitshow is part of the attraction, but at some point the shitshow becomes too much for even this place. 

Ultimately I am responsible for allowing him to return and in hindsight that was a poor decision, but now it's gotten to the point where he's actively seeking conflict with posters to try to game his way into permabanning members of the community who aren't really breaking any rules. As evidenced by posts in this thread there is also a certain level of personal and corporate liability I am no longer comfortable with having him be a part of this community. If that's not obvious to some of you or some of you disagree then I'm happy to discuss or answer those questions you may have. 

This can be the Derka farewell thread and I'll deactivate his account at the end of the basketball tournament. This will give him and everyone else the opportunity to connect if they want to, but it will no longer be here as a community. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Gotta disagree.  There’s a lot of belligerent fucks who keep coming back after multiple bans.  Derka takes shit too personally but if you think he’s where we cross the line on your liability for this site, I don’t know what to tell you.  Maybe put up an anything goes rubber room, but banning Derka is a bridge too far.  

being crowdsourced and being actually banned are different things even though mechanically they may have a similar effect. I've stepped in on some of the crowd sourced repeat offenders to ensure they are no longer a part of the community. 

To be clear Derka isn't getting banned for taking shit too personally. He's being removed from the community as a participant because he is incapable of participating and has again in this thread stated that it has a significant impact on his personal well being, which I am not responsible for and want to have no part in.

• Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, immamac said:

he's openly antagonistic, actively derails threads,

yeah, this is a bunch of bullshit. you and 99% of the people who have a problem with me don’t even post where i do, or ever even cross my path. i invite you to publicly post every single post of mine that’s been reported this year. please do this. please back up what you’re saying right now.

on this subject, bob’s goal in working with me was mental health related, and my big goal with him was to unequivocally prove that what you are saying is simply not true. i do not go out of my way to be insulting or combative. ask bob. ask the people who post where i post. this is just a bunch of false nonsense based on your sour feelings over shit that happened years ago. that’s a fact.

Edited by shadow_operative

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, immamac said:

he's openly antagonistic, actively derails threads,

also this is literally the reason that Bob has had to babysit/repeatedly ban motownhorn. his open, unprovoked attacks on me were derailing threads. he did it so often that in bob’s opinion he deserved to be permabanned. is that where we are now? we’re saying that bob, of all people, is so far off base with his judgment that a poster who he was set to permaban actually deserves to be reinstated and supported by you? 

bob was ready to IP ban motownhorn for the very things you’re accusing me of.

you have reinstated motownhorn and decided to permaban me instead.

i wonder whose judgment surly trusts more, yours, or bob’s? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

being crowdsourced and being actually banned are different things even though mechanically they may have a similar effect. I've stepped in on some of the crowd sourced repeat offenders to ensure they are no longer a part of the community. 

To be clear Derka isn't getting banned for taking shit too personally. He's being removed from the community as a participant because he is incapable of participating and has again in this thread stated that it has a significant impact on his personal well being, which I am not responsible for and want to have no part in.

Last paragraph I get, but there’s no real liability there - if there was, it would be less than you banning him and then he harms himself. 

But I totally agree, it’s disconcerting when Derka goes there w the self harm telecasting.  

Anyways, I’m out.  I say keep him around and block those antagonizing him - yes ignore them for him.  That’s a lot of babysitting, but you’ve admit he brings value around here.  

NOW, I’m finally out.  Cheers gents.  

• Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

he's actively seeking conflict with posters to try to game his way into permabanning members of the community who aren't really breaking any rules.

what are you even talking about dude? i literally have posted one single word to motownhorn in the last month+ and that was earlier today after it became clear that this “y’all don’t talk to each other” deal was off. one single word. during that same time frame motown has been banned three times for coming after me. so how in the hell am i seeking conflict with him?

over the last 2+ years 99% of the interactions  eyween me and motown have been initiated by him. that’s a fact. again, go ask bob. he knows this is true. you’re just a fucking liar. you are just making up total bullshit to justify your power trip. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what are you even talking about dude? i literally have posted one single word to motownhorn in the last month+ and that was earlier today after it became clear that this “y’all don’t talk to each other” deal was off. one single word. during that same time frame motown has been banned three times for coming after me. so how in the hell am i seeking conflict with him?

over the last 2+ years 99% of the interactions  eyween me and motown have been initiated by him. that’s a fact. again, go ask bob. he knows this is true. you’re just a fucking liar. you are just making up total bullshit to justify your power trip. 

I don’t know what you’re quoting.  But I didn’t say that.  Look above.  

edit: imma said that, not me

Edited by ChiTownDoc

this is all really very simple: you either trust bob’s judgment or you trust immamac’s. bob made deals with me and motown, and bob decided that motown should be IP banned, because that’s what bob judged to be right.

bob or immamac- whose judgment do you trust more? the one who has earned a reputation over several decades as a level headed, benevolent moderator, or the aggie who can’t stop banning people for personal reason, who loves to get in public slap fights, and who behaves like a foul mouthed fifth grader in public like it’s cute or something. really tough call here, i know.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I don’t know what you’re quoting.  But I didn’t say that.  Look above.  

edit: imma said that, not me

i don’t think i actually quoted you, and i’ve seen this happen before on this site. you quote one response and somehow it shows up as you quoting a different response from the same page. it’s happened to me before. it’s weird. either way, yes, i’m sorry that your post got quoted, i was replying to immamac. 

edit: yeah, it’s a site glitch. i copied that text directly from immamac’s  post and then clicked on the “quote text” prompt. maybe the site owner should some less time being a sophomoric twat and more time on fixing his site.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

surly is full of 1%ers. how about one of you rich mofo’s pays for some sort of independent arbiter to come in and review my last 5,000 posts. if it’s determined that i am the antagonist that the aggie cunt says that i am then i’m IP banned and i donate $500 to whatever charitable cause immamac chooses. if the independent arbiter concludes that what immamac is saying about me is bullshit, and that 9/10 times (if not more) it is other people coming after me while i simply make germane, substantive posts, then the aggie gives me his website. deal?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, blacklab said:

This is my first and last post on this topic.

Imma owns the site, I'm just a moderator. I can do things but in the end it's imma's call.

I banned motown for 30 days and planned on permabanning him if he trolled you anymore. Imma removed the ban and told him to put you on ignore.

All you had to do to prevent getting banned is put him on ignore. But for whatever reason you refuse. 

I've tried to help you all you can but if you're not going to do a simple request then sorry, I'm done.

bob- i told you the specific reason that i was not going put motownhorn on my ignore list, and i’ve already posted that reason here in this thread:

i KNEW that motown was going to continue to post to/about me which was supposed to lead to his banning, and when he did post about me i wanted to be able to see it so that i could report it. that’s it. that’s the only reason i didn’t put him on ignore. 

now you and i have already both posted and confirmed my side of this story: you told me and motown to ignore each other or we would receive bans. i completely ignored him, while he repeatedly got banned for coming right after me the moment he returned from his previous ban. you and i have confirmed these facts.

the third time that it happened, when he once again *immediately* came after me after returning from his five day ban, you texted me your total disbelief that this guy is still coming after me; you were totally incredulous at the fact that he could not stop. you told me that he seemed reasonable when you talked to him, but that clearly he couldn’t stop himself. that’s when you sent me the text about him being off for a month, with his next infraction incurring a permanent ban.

so, he remains off of my ignored list, and i eagerly anticipate this hapless dipshit coming after me again, because i have done what you asked, i have not spoken to or about him at all, and i cannot wait for you to do what you said you would do when he inevitably/immediately came after me again. tonight was that night.

as i have said, i was *thrilled* when motownhorn once again came after me tonight, completely unprovoked, as always. he had finally gotten himself permabanned. awesome. so i text you about it, and i await the confirmation of his ban.

only then, after allllll the time you and i have spent on this matter, among others, i get a pm from the site owner, an aggie with a very long and well documented history of being a wildly emotional and combative prick who bans people for disagreeing with him, and who has already spread straight up lies about me on his inaugural podcast, and he more or less says to me, “motownhorn is not banned. put him on ignore or get IP banned.”

now i know you said that you aren’t going to respond anymore, but here’s what you said to me just now in your post: “but if you're not going to do a simple request then sorry, I'm done.”

immamac swooping in out of nowhere at the very moment when motown was supposed to be IP banned to cancel the deal that you and i made and have worked on for months and telling me to get fucked is NOT “me refusing a simple request”, and you, and everybody else here knows it. what it is, is small dick, thin skinned, autocratic bullshit, and immamac can get fucked with a rusty spoon if he thinks that i’m just going respond to his weak ass power trip by bowing at his feet and acting like shit is cool.

i am not being even a little bit unreasonable here. what has transpired has been wildly fucked up, and i frankly don’t even trust that this thread will even be here when i wake up tomorrow, because this thread exposes immamac for the autocratic piece of shit that he is, and when his stupid ass sobers up i fully expect him to erase this thread to save his own ass. that guy has shown everyone here what kind of character he possesses (none) is time and time again, and erasing this thread would be right in line with how he handles shit.

in conclusion, immamac can get fucked. the way he has treated both bob and myself is chickenshit. i have zero to feel bad about when it comes to the events described in this thread. this is a new all time low for this site and its pathetic owner.

the whole deal where bob and i (and my mom) started meeting and talking spawned from motown going on a particularly unhinged series of ad hominem attacks on me which were affecting my mental health. when i reached my boiling point and posted my raw, honest sentiments, bob stepped in in real life, because back on hornfans we had a poster named loree who was bullied on the board and ended up killing herself, and bob wanted to step in and help out. once bob saw motown’s rabid harassment of me for what it was he gave motown an ultimatum: leave derka alone or get out of here. after all, he was the one coming after me literally 100% of the time.

im not asking for special treatment. i’m asking for basic human decency. and bob, who everyone here has the ultimate respect for, agreed with me and had my back so deeply that he was in the process of IP banning the one guy who simply could not stop himself from repeatedly coming after me, totally unprovoked, time and time again, despite having multiple conversations with bob where he was told to leave me alone or face being banned.

this was months of dinners, and texts, and stories exchanged, and common ground found, and real, earnest, sincere work being done between two people who have never seen eye to eye but who want to understand each other. bob and i reached that understanding, and his judgment of this situation led to him making the decision to IP ban motownhorn.

now immamac comes in here and lies through his teeth, claiming that i am constantly provoking motownhorn, that i go out of my way to be combative, and that my antagonistic posts derail threads, all of which is the opposite of reality, as bob knows. immamac has come in here with his pussy ass, petty ass, personal beef with me and he has completely erased every single thing that bob spent months of his life trying to accomplish.

do you guys have any clue how many texts i sent bob? do you know how long they all were? do you know how insufferable i was when i was feeling wronged? when motown wouldn’t quit? bob put up with ALL OF IT because he genuinely cares about me, and because he took the time to a)get to know me, and b)survey the situation for himself and come to his own conclusions.

and now in one hypomanic instant, this aggie fuckstick has undone and delegitimized all of that, and he’s proud of himself for it. for those who missed it he made a whole site banner drawing everyone’s attention to this thread, stupidly thinking that it would make me look bad.

what immamac has done is not some funny, harmless, “buncha assholes”, good ole redass aggie bull. this dude has fucked up months of real life work between bob and myself, and has disrespected both of us on a tremendous level in the process. this is seriously a dark day for this site and it’s owner, and anyone who has read this thread this far who still can’t see that needs to reevaluate some shit in their lives. this is beyond foul, and it all comes down to one turd of a person’s super fragile ego. i really don’t even know what to say. i’m in disbelief at how this situation has played out.

You can't willingly concede that amount of control, or at a minimum, influence in your life/ surly experience; and blame the person for ruining the experience.

Put your antagonists on ignore, or don't... and live with the results.  You are NOT the shitbag treating other posters like hell; but you do have easily deployable solutions that are realistic and practical.  WGAF what they post without you knowing?  People know the score, and to the point upthread, eventually they miss out on their reward of seeing you react, and move on.

Is that not a result you want?  You actions say it is not.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, immamac said:

If you have a problem with a poster, put them on ignore. If you escalate to the moderators the policy is you can use the ignore function or leave the community. 

Ignored posters who are quoted by other posters still show up in your feed correct? I don’t see how this is a reasonable solution. If someone’s being a dick and bullying another poster, you need to address that.

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

He’s got 15,770 rep points and is averaging just under 1 positive rep point per post. I’m sure he gets negged, so in total it’s hard to argue he’s not a productive part of the community. He brings content and yes some drama but a lot of folks engage with him in ways they shouldn’t. He’s become a lightening rod. That’s not all on him.

It’s just the same shit that went down on the playground in school. The same kids getting in trouble and the dynamic includes every fucking time someone goating him for the sideshow. I could name names of respectable posters who are top contributors that argue incessantly with him. It’s a two way street. It’s pretty fucking childish.

• Hook 'Em 4

With so much drama in the Surly
It's kinda hard being Derka D-O-double-G

Here's my Surly Wisdom Nugget/Turd of the Day® (All Rights Reserved. I Will Sue You).

If you elect someone to be your tormentor, you've given them that power. They're actually pretty powerless other than you agreed to make them "the reason" things are going wrong.

If I put some dumb fuckchuckle on ignore and then they go on to create 800 threads about me, I could give a shit. It would reveal their deranged state of mind and I'd laugh my ass off and move on.

As ChiTown said above, laugh at the idiocy of others, and practice not giving a shit if other people agree with you or not.

No need to help them torment yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Let’s be very clear here. We all know what happens with Derka he often takes criticism of his opinions as an  attack and overreacts. He has mental illness, that he freely acknowledges. Everyone here knows that. There are certain posters who go out of their way to bully Derka. We need to call this what it is. It is not trolling. It is bullying someone with mental health issues, and it is not acceptable behavior. There should be a zero tolerance for this kind of behavior. If a mod has had to address this bullying multiple times from a single poster, that poster should be gone from this website. I don’t care who they are, I don’t care if they’re the owner’s best friend, or contribute substantially to the ad revenue, or other aspects of this website. Bullying has a high correlation with self harm and suicide among the mentally ill. Fuck all of you who have participated in that.

I could not agree more. 100% on board. 

@shadow_operative I’ll have lunch with you and your mom if y’all will share a table with a good hearted queer woman such as me.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, troph said:

I could not agree more. 100% on board. 

@shadow_operative I’ll have lunch with you and your mom if y’all will share a table with a good hearted queer woman such as me.

Derka’s mom seems cool as shit. I always enjoyed those video collages of ten seconds of every day in a Derka year. Helped me try to understand Derka as a person and to just scroll past his rants. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Kennythetiger said:

Derka’s mom seems cool as shit. I always enjoyed those video collages of ten seconds of every day in a Derka year. Helped me try to understand Derka as a person and to just scroll past his rants. 

I mentioned I have a dozen or so on ignore. He’s not one of them. I agree with you 100%.

• Hook 'Em 1

this is all really very simple: you either trust bob’s judgment or you trust immamac’s.

76594-362.jpg

mental health stuff, above my pay grade, etc, but man for me life is a lot easier when I'm able to do a good job of setting aside things i have no control over and putting my energy into things I can change

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Iceman said:

None of that is on Imma or other posters.

A lot of posters, including me, enjoy your posts and content; but because you won't handle a situation in a reasonable, easy fashion; the ability to share your knowledge of UT sports and passion for the game is in jeopardy.  It is your choice.  Nobody else's.  Handle it.

did you delete your other account?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never in a million years would I think Blacklab's name was Bob. I always assumed he would be like a James or a Caleb. 

My insignificant contribution to this thread is Derka, put Motown on ignore. Jesus. You arent a child. Take a step back and look at the reality you have created for yourself with this situation. Its stupid and childish. I like having you here on this site even though I dont think you and I have ever interacted with each other. I view you posting here as part of the fabric of Surly and assumed most everything was a tongue and cheek back and forth between you and the other posters. Immamac, I personally wouldnt ban him but you have to do what you have to do. Derka, Motown and Imma all need to take a step back and reassess this as it has gone WAY too far and looks stupid to most everyone else here. Anyway, whatever. The Days of our Surly Lives.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, troph said:

I mentioned I have a dozen or so on ignore. He’s not one of them. I agree with you 100%.

So I saw something mentioned about rules and how Derka's tormentor hasn't broken any in the judgment of one of the mods, and I know we joke about "rules" when it comes to people's girlfriends or sisters being mentioned, but I had never actually stopped to consider that there are actual rules.

When I checked for these rules, I could only find a Privacy Policy.

If there are no "rules" I can respect that, but it's probably better to have some objective and reasonable rules so that people can't join, post stupid shit repeatedly, then act surprised when they get banned.

As much as 99% of us can get along just fine based on common sense, this is the internet. Even less than 1 percent of people who lack common sense can ruin the experience for the rest of us. People like that are why the rules exist.

Anyway, I want this board and this community to succeed.

A wise man once said, in a pinned thread:

On 12/23/2023 at 10:00 AM, immamac said:

you are kidding yourself if you think this site is healthy from a community perspective or at all sustainable as a business in its current state.

If you view the board as property, then sure, the owner can ban anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

I really hope it's more than just property, though. I believe it's a community and yes, for the people who have invested time and money, it is also a business.

From a business standpoint, I'm not sure I understand the benefit of disregarding a potential mental health crisis. I definitely won't go so far as to say that banning Derka or backing out of (what Derka claims was) the "deal" is the wrong thing to do. I wouldn't go that far because I'm not privy to all the facts. For all we know, Derka totally misunderstood or exaggerated what "Bob" had promised to do.

Instead of going that far, I'll just say that I don't think it would be good for the community's reputation or business prospects if Derka's version of events is true and something unfortunate and preventable were to happen while he was suffering a mental health crisis. Whatever the actual rules are, it's best for the community if those rules are enforced fairly and equally, even when that means people I don't particularly care for get to continue posting and even when that means people I like get banned.

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)

And I mean, come on @MotownHorn if Derka is even 50% accurate on his characterizations, no matter what happens here, stop being a sick bully. You are mentally ill yourself if you are getting your jollies by harassing and triggering people suffering with some variety or modicum of mental issues.

Here is the best path forward:

1. First and foremost, @MotownHorn publicly commit to stop being a jerk and a bully.
  2. Next,  @Derka use the ignore feature and recognize that @immamac isn't out to get you and persecute you but there is a point where his personal sympathy must give way to his management of this board he owns and there will always be warts.
    1. As part of that, Derka stop throwing @blacklab under the bus and appealing to him because he's gone above and beyond due to you being a great guy IRL and him being a great guy with a good heart IRL, but you are burning a lot of goodwill the last 2 pages.
  3. Lastly, Immamac reiterate your general tepid appreciation for Derka and his value as a very long term member of the community and that harassment of any kind isn't cool, apologize for probably agitating the situation a bit (e.g. posting a banner, impatience in your earlier responses, etc.) but also re-establish the rules of engagement and consequences and once we've reconciled all this, give some grace to everyone in the form of a last and final chance before permabanning anyone involved.

This is my ruling and consider the mediation period over.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 2