Shenanigans, hanky-panky and general tomfoolery at Humble ISD

Macanudo

Where to start...

Humble ISD (43,000 students) hired a new Superintendent in 2016 named Elizabeth Fagen.   She had previously been the Superintendent with the Douglas County District in Colorado (63,000 students.)   It's the 3rd largest district in the state and is located between Denver and Colorado Springs.  Her time there was spent fighting with the teacher's unions and advocating for vouchers.   When she left Douglas County after six years, parents and residents put out the word of "goodbye and good riddance" and warned Humble about what was coming.  Before Douglas she was the superintendent of the Tucson district for 2 years (41,000 students.)  

Fagen arrived with her husband and 2 daughters in tow.  She and her husband divorced eventually amid (very valid) speculation of infidelity on her part.   Her new paramour was the then Humble ISD Athletic Director, Troy Kite.   They married in 2023.   

Mr. Kite has had, uh well, an interesting last year or two with the district.  He resigned on April 8th, 2024 after sexual harrasment allegations.   Among the allegations:   An inter-office "hot or not" group text amongst Administration/Coaching Staff about other employees, general asshattery in the office with text about other employees and allegedly commenting about an employee wearing "Fuck Me" heels, etc.   All of this led to a Title IX investigation into the situation.   Before resigning, Mr. Kite tried to bargain with the district on a payout starting in the high six figures, then  dropping the number by almost half before being told "nope" on any number.   He gave an incredibly lame interview to the local Fox affiliate this week:  https://www.fox26houston.com/news/troy-kite-humble-isd-refutes-sexual-harassment-claims  The Title IX investigation has cost the district around $800,000 so far.  When the investigation started up in 2023, Fagen had to recuse herself from it because of her involvement with Kite.   The 238 page report is somewhere out there on the interweb but I can't find it.  Yet.  

The rumor out there is that he has dirt on members of the school board.   He alleges that other "higher ups" have done similar things and that he is being scapegoated.  

Finaly, Fagen is a finalist for the Washoe County (Reno) Superintendent position.   And get a load of her cover letter that she attached to her application:  https://www.washoeschools.net/cms/lib/NV01912265/Centricity//Domain/168/sup_search/Fagen/E Fagen Cover Letter and Application Narrative.pdf

February 17, 2024

Dear Washoe County School District Board of Trustees:

I believe that I am meant to be your next superintendent. I understand that might be a strong and unusual statement, and perhaps a strange way to start a letter of interest, but I wanted you to know because it is true. Please give me the opportunity to explain. In addition to my strong desire to be a leader in your community, I also believe my experience, expertise, and qualities are what you may be looking for.

I was in the Reno with my husband for the very first time in October 2023. We fell in love with the city and the entire area. We returned in November with our family and again really loved everything about being there. He and I talked and dreamed almost everyday about how much we would love to live there - finish our careers and retire in Reno. At the time, we thought it was just a dream, something fun to talk about. However, one night, even though we watched almost no television during our trips, we happened to have the tv on as we got ready to go to dinner. We were surprised to see the Washoe County superintendent had chosen to resign from the district. We both looked at each other with wide eyes - both thinking the same thing, could it be possible? Could we really move our family to Reno, Nevada?

We returned home and decided to schedule another trip to the Reno area with our youngest daughter, who is 14, in February when there was more snow. We have two kids in college and one that has successfully graduated from college and has a great job.  We returned once again for an absolutely fantastic trip, and again, we loved the idea of living there, and eventually retiring there.

Ironically, upon my return to Texas, I had a work lunch scheduled with Heath Morrison. I have known Heath for a long time. He led a federal desegregation district, Charlotte-Mecklenburg, and I led another one, Tucson Unified and we had studied their magnet program in hopes of gaining unitary status. Heath and I are both now in Texas, and he wanted to talk with me about his new position at Teachers for Tomorrow. At lunch, we started to reminisce about our previous work, districts, and friends; and Heath mentioned that he had been superintendent in Washoe County Nevada before Charlotte-Mecklenburg. I couldn’t believe it! He went on to say how much he loved it there and would never have left were it not for his family member's health condition. I could not deny it - I felt that I was absolutely meant to seriously consider your superintendent vacancy further - it just kept being put before me and each time was better than the last.

The more I learn about the Washoe County School District, the more I am interested in being your leader. I have almost 16 years experience as superintendent and three years as associate superintendent/executive director in four very unique and different school districts. In each case, I moved my family, purchased a home and we became active members of the community. Now, I have nearly 28 years in education. I have built relationships and implemented innovative solutions to meet the needs and desires of the communities I have served. I know you are looking for longevity, and I love to put down roots and be part of a community - I think it is because I am from a small town in Iowa. To that end, I am hoping my next superintendent position will be my last. I am probably about ten years from retirement, and I have read that Reno is the happiest city in the county. I love that. I can see why - I have experienced it. I would enjoy discussing my experience and expertise with you. I believe I could be the leader you are looking for, and we would love to be part of your community.

Sincerely,

Dr. Elizabeth Fagen

I have often included a cover letter along with my resume but it sure as fuck didn't sound like a lovestruck teenager's note.    I'd be embarrased to send that kind of missive to a prospective employer.  

• Hook 'Em 3

An inter-office "hot or not" group text amongst Administration/Coaching Staff about other employees, general asshattery in the office with text about other employees and allegedly commenting about an employee wearing "Fuck Me" heels, etc

Text invite? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was in the Reno with my husband for the very first time in October 2023. We fell in love with the city and the entire area. 

I have read and heard a lot of bullshit in my life. I've met a lot of people from a lot of different walks of life. One of them was even born and raised in Reno.

What I've never heard or read, from anyone, be it fiction or real life, is a dream "to live in Reno".

Never. Not even close. Hell, I've never met anyone who wanted to move to Reno, not even the guy who grew up there and left it. I'm sure there are people who want to move to Reno, for reason i don't care to know, but they've never crossed my circle.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

Did she include a picture of her under a tree (in Reno of course) with the application?

57 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I was in the Reno with my husband for the very first time in October 2023. We fell in love with the city and the entire area. We returned in November with our family and again really loved everything about being there. He and I talked and dreamed almost everyday about how much we would love to live there - finish our careers and retire in Reno. 

Dreamt 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I have read and heard a lot of bullshit in my life. I've met a lot of people from a lot of different walks of life. One of them was even born and raised in Reno.

What I've never heard or read, from anyone, be it fiction or real life, is a dream "to live in Reno".

Never. Not even close. Hell, I've never met anyone who wanted to move to Reno, not even the guy who grew up there and left it. I'm sure there are people who want to move to Reno, for reason i don't care to know, but they've never crossed my circle.

reno 911 GIF

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Did she include a picture of her under a tree (in Reno of course) with the application?

Dreamt 

images.jpeg.5254d2885a3c9c01395224a03d7f9d87.jpeg

https://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/destinations/north-america/pandemic-move-new-york-reno/

I stand corrected. There are exactly 2 people I've heard of in this world that wanted to move to Reno. Meet Eve Peyser.

Because obligatory tree shot was discovered with Google: Reno image search.

An inter-office "hot or not" group text amongst Administration/Coaching Staff about other employees, general asshattery in the office with text about other employees and allegedly commenting about an employee wearing "Fuck Me" heels, etc
Text invite? 

Or surly handle for the person that started it.

11 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

We live in Humble ISD, daughter is in 7th grade. Feigan is an embarrassment that was hired despite having an already terrible reputation. We only have five more years left, we’ll make it, but the district’s leadership is a constant source of annoyance for everyone. 

The youngest Macanudo-ette is a senior and I am so ready to be done with this bullshit.  I'm sure that other districts have leadership issues (at both the District and individual school levels) but Humble is what I know.  Each campus does need to have some autonomy but there should also be some uniformity too.   Humble is all over the place.

The last school board election was dominated by book banning issues and test scores but the behavior of the Superintendent, her husband and the school board should have gotten more scrutiny.  And the worst rumors aren't even public knowledge yet.

40 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

And the worst rumors aren't even public knowledge yet.

Nope. There’s a lot more of this stuff going on behind the scenes. What’s infuriating is that Feigen left her last school district in Arizona in almost this exact fashion and is the leading candidate to take the same role in a third state. 

12 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

images.jpeg.5254d2885a3c9c01395224a03d7f9d87.jpeg

https://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/destinations/north-america/pandemic-move-new-york-reno/

I stand corrected. There are exactly 2 people I've heard of in this world that wanted to move to Reno. Meet Eve Peyser.

Because obligatory tree shot was discovered with Google: Reno image search.

Strident heterosexual hot take:  Would. 

image.jpeg.6b724fc2b143f1314bc6d7ff7e90afd0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Nope. There’s a lot more of this stuff going on behind the scenes. What’s infuriating is that Feigen left her last school district in Arizona in almost this exact fashion and is the leading candidate to take the same role in a third state. 

4th state.  She's moved from Arizona to Colorado to Texas and now possibly Nevada.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Reno proper, probably not. But let me live in Incline Village and commute the 35 miles, and I could see it. Tahoe area is awesome year round. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Macanudo said:

The youngest Macanudo-ette is a senior

this makes me feel very, very old.  I know it makes you feel older, but damn. 

I still remember you asking to photoshop the trash bin out of their pic and pure hilarious insanity that thread devolved in

and you are saying the baby is now about to graduate HS....

FUCK we are old

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

this makes me feel very, very old.  I know it makes you feel older, but damn. 

I still remember you asking to photoshop the trash bin out of their pic and pure hilarious insanity that thread devolved in

and you are saying the baby is now about to graduate HS....

FUCK we are old

Yep.  That was a really fucking long time ago.

On 4/20/2024 at 8:11 AM, safe sex said:

You can't just come into a thread with a piping hot cup of tea and not spill it. Literally what the fuck

For real.  I was expecting teacher’s lounge orgies and spouse swapping, not ranking the hotness of colleagues and using crass terms like “fuck me heels.”  
Count me as disappointed.  

• Like 1

Reno is actually a great place and vastly underrated. Great punk rock scene, good art community and plenty of crazy shit to get into.

Mix in not paying California state taxes, proximity to Tahoe, ski resorts, 90 minutes to Sacramento for its vastly underrated food scene, and 3 hours from Yosemite, and 3 hours from Napa you really can pick a lot of worse places to live.

With that said I hope they tell this see you next tuesday to bugger off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

I spend some time in Reno as my wife has family there. It has gotten a lot better in the last 15 years.

There are millions of worse places.  LITERALLY MILLIONS

Like Sacramento?

• Haha 5

Claiming that a plus for Reno is it's only 90 minutes from Sacramento is definitely an opinion.

I have spent way too much time in Sacramento for work over the years. The food scene there is very properly rated, in that it is terrible and everyone is aware of it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, huge said:

I spend some time in Reno as my wife has family there. It has gotten a lot better in the last 15 years.

There are millions of worse places.  LITERALLY MILLIONS

Sure, Flint Michigan, Elko and Winnemucca Nevada, Terhan, and Baghdad to name a few.

On 4/21/2024 at 11:45 PM, Lhorn said:

For real.  I was expecting teacher’s lounge orgies and spouse swapping, not ranking the hotness of colleagues and using crass terms like “fuck me heels.”  
Count me as disappointed.  

I know right? It’s supposed to be “fuck me pumps” and these humbdolts can’t even get that right!