Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

53 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I bet it wouldn’t be difficult to determine most aren’t students. But I have a significant lack of motivation in doing so. I don’t give a flying fuck if he’s faculty or staff, as if that makes it any better. Jesus dude. 

It's bad for faculty to be on campus? What was your point?

My one Duke buddy sent me this. Unreal that these protestors have managed to drive him against his natural state of hatred for all things UNC.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/pi-kappa-phi-men-defended-their-flag-throw-em-a-rager

Commie losers across the country have invaded college campuses to make dumb demands of weak University Administrators.

But amidst the chaos, the screaming, the anti-semitism, the hatred of faith and flag, stood a platoon of American heroes. Armored in Vineyard Vines and Patagonia, fueled by Zyn and White Claws, these triumphant Brohemians protected Old Glory from the unwashed Marxist horde -- laughing at their shrieks and wails and shielding the Stars & Stripes from Soviet missiles.

These boys... no, men, of the UNC Chapel Hill Pi Kappa Phi, gave the best to America and now they deserve the best.

Help us raise funds to throw this frat the party they deserve, a party worth of the boat-shoed Broleteriat who did their country proud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

My one Duke buddy sent me this. Unreal that these protestors have managed to drive him against his natural state of hatred for all things UNC.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/pi-kappa-phi-men-defended-their-flag-throw-em-a-rager

Commie losers across the country have invaded college campuses to make dumb demands of weak University Administrators.

But amidst the chaos, the screaming, the anti-semitism, the hatred of faith and flag, stood a platoon of American heroes. Armored in Vineyard Vines and Patagonia, fueled by Zyn and White Claws, these triumphant Brohemians protected Old Glory from the unwashed Marxist horde -- laughing at their shrieks and wails and shielding the Stars & Stripes from Soviet missiles.

These boys... no, men, of the UNC Chapel Hill Pi Kappa Phi, gave the best to America and now they deserve the best.

Help us raise funds to throw this frat the party they deserve, a party worth of the boat-shoed Broleteriat who did their country proud.

Even one is too many.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

University administrators canceled classes at UCLA on Wednesday, hours after violence broke out at a pro-Palestinian encampment set up on campus.

Just before midnight, a large group of counterdemonstrators, wearing black outfits and white masks, arrived on campus and tried to tear down the barricades surrounding the encampment. Campers, some holding lumber and wearing goggles and helmets, rallied to defend the encampment’s perimeter. The violence occurred hours after the university declared that the camp was “unlawful and violates university policy.”

Videos showed fireworks being set off and at least one being thrown into the camp. Over several hours, counterdemonstrators threw objects, including wood and a metal barrier, at the camp and those inside, with fights repeatedly breaking out. Some tried to force their way into the camp, and the pro-Palestinian side used pepper spray to defend themselves.

One representative of the camp said the counterdemonstrators repeatedly pushed over barricades that outline the boundaries of the encampment, and some campers said they were hit by a substance they thought was pepper spray. As counterprotesters attempted to pull down the wood boards surrounding the encampment, at least one person could be heard yelling, “Second nakba,” referring to the mass displacement and dispossession of Palestinians during the 1948 Arab-Israeli war.

Daily Bruin News Editor Catherine Hamilton said she was sprayed with some type of irritant and repeatedly punched in the chest and upper abdomen as she was reporting on the unrest. Another student journalist was pushed to the ground by counterprotesters and was beaten and kicked for nearly a minute. Hamilton was treated at a hospital and released.

“I truly did not expect to be directly assaulted. I know that these individuals — at least the individual who initiated the mobilization against us — knew that we were journalists,” she said. “And while I did not think that protected us from harassment, I thought that might have [prevented us from being] assaulted. I was mistaken.”

“What we’ve just witnessed was the darkest day in my 32 years at UCLA,” said David Myers, a professor of Jewish history at UCLA who is working on initiatives to bridge differences on campus. He called the situation a “complete and total systems failure at the university, city and state levels.”

“Why didn’t the police, UCPD and LAPD, show up? Those in the encampment were defenseless in the face of a violent band of thugs. And no one, wherever they stand politically, is safer today,” Myers said.

Ananya Roy, a professor of urban planning, social welfare and geography, echoed concerns about the university’s lack of response when faced with a violent counterprotest.

image.thumb.png.4faf88d6d477bbe8738131f9cab095a8.png

image.thumb.png.b71ccf35307eb7c05b805106669b9e1b.png

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-30/ucla-moves-to-shut-down-pro-palestinian-encampment-as-unlawful

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

The ultimate goal of a protest should be to influence.  Every successful protest in our nation's history is viewed that way because of what resulted from the protest, not the act of protesting itself. 

At some point, the goal has shifted to merely performative - influence be damned.  There is no longer any targeted goal of winning over dissenting viewpoints, the only goal is attention.  Somehow leading the nightly news, for good or bad, has become the objective.

From an influence perspective, it's hard to articulate how utterly unsuccessful these protests have been in advancing their message.  Have they gained a single supporter that wasn't already sympathetic to their cause?  Do they understand how impossible it should be to make Carolina frat boys the sympathetic figure in any situation?

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

time of lives.gif

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

It's bad for faculty to be on campus? What was your point?

Of course not. You brought up faculty, insinuating it’s acceptable for a guy of that age to be arrested, I guess. What was YOUR point?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, HendersonHorns said:

I’ve thought and repeated this line often.  Again I posted this yesterday. 

but, I have figured out, and I do owe this website a lot of credit, for teaching me to be more accepting of people, regardless of severity of political leanings. To a point….

I’ve had interactions this week or “reactions” from people who have never done anything but “fuck you” me. 

find neutral ground before you shit completely on the beliefs they’ve had just as long and just as passionate as you are. Then work on differences in a healthy way. 

maybe it’s a pipe dream?  But I think it is what we have to do with where we are now in this political hate each side has for each other. Because it goes from political hate to hatred of the person too damn quickly anymore. 

image.gif.ab813f88bdb54370c4b581e7a06e8137.gif

5 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Will students at the schools cancelling things get a refund?  

Will parents of HS kids looking at these schools direct them to schools that have been able to keep the violence down?

That’s one reason I hope Texas protesters can/will be open to dialogue with the admin and law enforcement. 

it may be too late for that though.  And not at the fault of students. 

the Ivy’s may take a hit. And I’m way ok with that.  

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
5 hours ago, wildcat09 said:
NYPD has been lying about some of the evidence regarding outside agitators:

The bike lock, maybe. The chain, no.

It's literally this lock:

image.thumb.png.6313e2f89531792a01f005dd3ee100d4.png

Notice the model is called "New York Fahgettaboudit" because New York cops don't do shit about bike theft. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanon-curious-house-candidate-lauren-boebert-of-colorado-gave-her-customers-diarrhea

In 2017, a Colorado restaurant’s tainted pork sliders poisoned dozens of attendees at a local rodeo, who came down with symptoms ranging from nausea to bloody diarrhea. Now the restaurant’s proprietor is running for Congress on her small-business-owner credentials.

21 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The ultimate goal of a protest should be to influence.  Every successful protest in our nation's history is viewed that way because of what resulted from the protest, not the act of protesting itself. 

At some point, the goal has shifted to merely performative - influence be damned. 

You’re reinterpreting past protests through the lens of hindsight. Every successful protest movement of the past was initially met with scorn, ridicule, and violent opposition by the establishment and its dumb, reactionary defenders. Every time, the protesters were criticized at the time as performative, ineffective, counterproductive, ungrateful rabble-rousers. That was true of those who fought for labor laws, women’s suffrage, civil rights, and an end to the Vietnam War. Only after the dust settled and the public caught up to reality were they proven righteous.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Foosters said:

The  album drop party for Vampire Weekend got out of fucking hand, man.  

18 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

How come this shit aint setting off at cal tech, purdue, georgia tech, or cmu?

I don't get this?  Cal Tech is tiny.  UT has 1% of the students protesting, which is a lot in the aggregate, but Cal Tech has 1% of their student body protest, that's 20 kids.  That's not even worth driving the news van over for.  I'm sure Scripps College, while a seriously great college, has a few folks who want to lash out and protest.  That whole school is like 300 people.  That's not enough students for somebody to borrow a car to go buy posterboard at Michael's.    

I guess your implication is that this only happens at colleges with lots of liberal arts majors, or?  Despite UT having a very strong engineering, business, and sciences CSU's---which make up a substantial proportion of the protestors.  Believe it or not, they're not all Art History majors out there (though we still need to unpack who all these non-faculty/non-student folks on our campus are stirring up shit).  

But to your point---significantly attended protests are happening at UCLA, Cal Polytechnical, Tulane, Florida State, Wisconsin, VA Tech, Georgia, Washington U., Indiana U., Utah, UCONN, VCU, Texas, UofFlorida, Illinois, Emory, Ohio State, Princeton, Minnesota, and Yale.  

Not exactly Sarah Lawrence College liberal elitist humanities degree factories.  Higher-end, well-rounded universities with lots of majors represented, diverse campus populations, many near population centers off campus, most publics, and politically across the spectrum.  And it's happening in states where the local and statewide leadership is embarrassed and trying to flex/posture.  

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

You’re reinterpreting past protests through the lens of hindsight. Every successful protest movement of the past was initially met with scorn, ridicule, and violent opposition by the establishment and its dumb, reactionary defenders. Every time, the protesters were criticized at the time as performative, ineffective, counterproductive, ungrateful rabble-rousers. That was true of those who fought for labor laws, women’s suffrage, civil rights, and an end to the Vietnam War. Only after the dust settled and the public caught up to reality were they proven righteous.

Yeah, that's not always true and "good guys" aren't always the ones protesting.

Calling into question the motives and agenda of folks not just protesting but actually committing criminal acts is not only justified, but  logical and sensible.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, HendersonHorns said:

That’s one reason I hope Texas protesters can/will be open to dialogue with the admin and law enforcement. 

Admin and law enforcement have demonstrated a default response of “crack skulls, don’t ask questions later.” Not exactly conducive to negotiation. Unfortunately, the time for constructive dialogue passed when Hartzell called in skull crackers that love to toss around protesters, but can’t stop a mass shooting at an elementary school.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Admin and law enforcement have demonstrated a default response of “crack skulls, don’t ask questions later.” Not exactly conducive to negotiation. Unfortunately, the time for constructive dialogue passed when Hartzell called in skull crackers that love to toss around protesters, but can’t stop a mass shooting at an elementary school.

It can’t be too late. It can never be too late for dialogue. 

I’m not saying the government or admin are going to humble themselves to talk. But they have to. 

is that a fantasy world?  Serious question. 

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

"I found one guy"

Do you know he's not faculty or staff?

image.png.e550f9007a630dcc3790c19ef199f1b2.png

That’s the guy above. 

I don’t know if he had bad intentions, or if he carries daily.  

also didn’t investigate if he’s an employee.  

he didn’t shoot anyone, thankfully. 

16 minutes ago, HendersonHorns said:

It can’t be too late. It can never be too late for dialogue. 

I’m not saying the government or admin are going to humble themselves to talk. But they have to. 

is that a fantasy world?  Serious question. 

They have not cracked any skulls.  They just aren't tolerating nonsense like Columbia and UCLA.

5 minutes ago, HendersonHorns said:

image.png.e550f9007a630dcc3790c19ef199f1b2.png

That’s the guy above. 

I don’t know if he had bad intentions, or if he carries daily.  

also didn’t investigate if he’s an employee.  

he didn’t shoot anyone, thankfully. 

I still don't see what's wrong with exercising 2nd amendment rights. Or are those only for white people?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

They have not cracked any skulls.  They just aren't tolerating nonsense like Columbia and UCLA.

I know. For sure. It just caught on because some dickhead called for it the first day. Cracking skulls I mean. 

There’s so much animosity there right now. Need to figure out a way for both sides to think they won. 

Edited by HendersonHorns
Spelling

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I still don't see what's wrong with exercising 2nd amendment rights. Or are those only for white people?

It must not be legal in that jurisdiction.  Various jurisdictions have different laws on campus carry.  Not every state is as free as Texas on this.

Also, Megyn calling protesters unattractive misfits

Edited by Frank Drebin

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Oh stop with that. You won’t find anyone here more pro 2A than me. 

There’s no reason for that last dig. Or that last gotcha you put there. It’s disingenuous. 

in Florida it is a felony to carry on campus. I don’t agree with it.  But that’s what it is. 

but this is too CR for this topic and I don’t want to get the thread locked.  I would be happy to talk about it on a cr thread though. 

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

It’s finals week

I'll go ahead and bet the under (without even knowing the number) on the qty of engineering, finance, business, and hard science attendees on any campus.

My nephew attends UTD. He's getting his masters in one of those... I don't have to ask. 

What I don't get is why anyone really gives a shit?  I mean, I get protesting against the Vietnam War in the U.S.  You or someone you know might get drafted and die in a foolish, lost war.  I get protesting in support of BLM in the U.S.  You or someone you know might get pulled over and murdered by the police.  I don't get protesting for/against Israel or Palestine in the U.S.  None of these people are affected by what's going on half a globe away.

I get some may view acts by one side or the other as evil, and that it may even be correct.  But even so, what the fuck is all this going to accomplish?  How is this going to impact anything going on in Gaza?  If all these universities divest from Israel tomorrow, is Israel even going to notice?  No.  The holocaust gives Israel an apocalyptic world view and they do not fuck around when it comes to their security.  There is no way they would allow themselves to be in a position where they could be brought to their knees by US universities redirecting endowment investments.

It just seems like everyone, from students to University Presidents to Governors to police would have a lot more proximal problems to be concerned about that they might actually have a chance to positively affect.  Which makes me think this isn't about Israel or Gaza at all, rather about the theatrics of civil unrest on college campuses in an election year. 

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

What I don't get is why anyone really gives a shit?  I mean, I get protesting against the Vietnam War in the U.S.  You or someone you know might get drafted and die in a foolish, lost war.  I get protesting in support of BLM in the U.S.  You or someone you know might get pulled over and murdered by the police.  I don't get protesting for/against Israel or Palestine in the U.S.  None of these people are affected by what's going on half a globe away.

I get some may view acts by one side or the other as evil, and that it may even be correct.  But even so, what the fuck is all this going to accomplish?  How is this going to impact anything going on in Gaza?  If all these universities divest from Israel tomorrow, is Israel even going to notice?  No.  The holocaust gives Israel an apocalyptic world view and they do not fuck around when it comes to their security.  There is no way they would allow themselves to be in a position where they could be brought to their knees by US universities redirecting endowment investments.

It just seems like everyone, from students to University Presidents to Governors to police would have a lot more proximal problems to be concerned about that they might actually have a chance to positively affect.  Which makes me think this isn't about Israel or Gaza at all, rather about the theatrics of civil unrest on college campuses in an election year. 

You and others have asked, and rightfully so, what is driving these protests. Not, what are they in support of, (which I don't think most of them could answer anyway) but what's driving it. It's a valid question, and just as there were multiple behind the scenes masters pulling the "BLM" puppet strings, I suspect the same for these protests.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Started in 1985 and the "shanty" got wrecked all the time, if you can call it that, since it looked pretty bad to begin with.  The frat guys always got blamed, so I just went with that.

Growing up in Austin, I went to the drag and west mall all the time, especially in high school and I don't even remember seeing the shanty then.

I remember a couple of protests I had to shuffle through, but no big deal.

The most annoying thing were the pamphletiers that were on campus. The Jews for Jesus guys were especially pushy. Not sure why I got the treatment. I guess it was the blond hair and blue eyes with a pagan smirk on my face that drew them in.  I also remember my Antisemitism in History and Literature professor, who was Jewish, hated that group in particular based on the stupidity of the idea alone.

That was a different time and I'm pretty sure the administration thought all of the South Africa stuff was cute compared to all the Vietnam protests just a few years earlier.

Also, the Texas economy was in the shitter back then, so we were all just fighting to stay employed.

The only thing I recall or paid attention to of those the protests/tables on the West mall at that time was Sister Sally preaching about how sorority girls evolved into sluts and whores... (I stopped to listen for pointers...)

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The exact shit about people demanding CITY COUNCILS in california to formally call for cease-fires and such. 

It’s narcissistic hero complex. They think they’re making a difference. They want to signal their conscience and virtues. And on campus it’s theater kids wanting to be the main character, feigning oppression (“theyre literally starving us!!!”) because it’s a social currency. Being at a protest is cool and getting arrested means you’re a good soldier to the cause who truly earned that watermelon emoji on your internet profile .

https://apnews.com/article/oakland-israel-hamas-cease-fire-947cc31f56055c056768136100d09547

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Shits spreading like Pokemon. Now at UW-Madison.

So what do the protestors do when the semester ends? Blockade their local Starbucks?

Go back to their parents' basement?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Which is why I’ve said this has all been orchestrated.

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So what do the protestors do when the semester ends? Blockade their local Starbucks?

The one at Wisconsin started days ago. The protestors go back to Russia, their troll accounts on truth social and twitter, and back to the underground where they came from. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

That’s one of the things where I think this is being so handled so poorly by many schools. Like milk, this has an expiration date on it.

Lay ground rules like no overnight camping, no violence, no amplified sound, no blocking ingress/egress of buildings, etc. Let the demonstrators do their thing within the parameters and go in and make arrests when the rules get broken. There’s no reason to go all Billy Badass with the all the militarized police theatrics. Do some good policing and crowd control and let this thing run its course. All the pseudo military shit just ramps shit up and gives a certain group of agitators exactly what they want. 

Everyone on here making fun of the demonstrators for being pasty trust fund babies who have no idea about what they’re demonstrating for yet we need to send in the military to conquer them? Seems like we’ve lost sight of how to police in this country.

• Hook 'Em 2

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread