Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

14 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

cigs hospital 1950s.jpg

When my parents were having kids in the ‘60s, my mom was encouraged to smoke (she didn’t). The reasoning being that smoking while pregnant made childbirth easier. Because of the smaller baby. Yes, true story. 

• Like 2

I tell my daughters a similar story and they think I'm reading some novella from the 1600's.  My mother literally put out a cigarette before going into 20 hour labor with me.  My head was so big, it got wrapped up in the umbilical cord so they had to do an emergency C-section and offered her a last cigarette in case she didn't survive.  Medical doctors in the mid 1970's at a pretty decent hospital just outside Chicago who went to Northwestern medical school said this to her like she was on trial at Nuremberg with a blindfold.  Meanwhile, where was my dad?  You guessed it, outside in the waiting room throwing back a second pack of Lucky Strikes and styrofoam cup of black coffee and whiskey from the goddamn vending machine.  This was like a real city in the not-too-distant past.  

My oldest was in at Dell Children's this holiday season with a leg infection and they wouldn't let me and my youngest in because there was RSV going around the hospital and they didn't want to take extra risks.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Wow! So that red spew was people?

5 hours ago, nnm said:

I think it’s a dramatization. There weren’t any cameras around when they imploded. 

Anybody available to check TikTok comments to verify? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2024 at 7:25 AM, nnm said:

When my parents were having kids in the ‘60s, my mom was encouraged to smoke (she didn’t). The reasoning being that smoking while pregnant made childbirth easier. Because of the smaller baby. Yes, true story. 

My mom’s doctor, who also was our family doctor until I graduated undergrad, told my mother in the late 1950’s and early 60’s while pregnant with me and my brother to not smoke because smoking was not good for the baby (or, in general, for her).  So she didn’t smoke during her pregnancies.  She quit altogether in the early 70’s.  Some doctors were better than others.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

"Damn, I think that guy might've killed himself! I wonder how badly he's hurt!......meh, off to the post office, I've got some letters to mail." 

I was waiting for the boom at the end.  If I'm that guy, I'm parking my truck a mile away before I try to do anything.

On 2/6/2024 at 3:33 PM, honolulu horn said:

"Damn, I think that guy might've killed himself! I wonder how badly he's hurt!......meh, off to the post office, I've got some letters to mail." 

Amazingly, nobody was injured.

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico/video-driver-has-close-call-with-truck-that-crashes-into-new-mexico-gas-station/

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Ah. Good old San Juan County. Farmington. Four corners. Navajo Reservation. It’s a very strange cultural and economic environment. Incredible problems with DWI and related alcohol issues. Not at all surprised that something like this would happen there.