Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

He can coach and he can win. But he also left us with less talent when he left than what he found when he arrived. Strong's "Cake baked" nonsense was because the team he left behind, mediocre as it was, was still better than what Mack left us with.

Mack might've taken us to new heights, but he's also partially responsible for the low lows.

Mack was also on an uptrend when he got booted.  2 to 4 to 5 to 7 conference wins. 

It's been turtles all the way down ever since.  Just sayin

Just now, mdmost said:

What if Tom gets 3 weeks to prepare?

My hope is that he isn't here in 3 weeks to answer the question, personally.

Never liked the hire. I hated the process behind it. I hated the lack of interest in a proper coaching search. His results so far this year are exactly like what I saw from him at Houston: Good for at least one upset victory and one upset loss every season. Doesn't look like a big-time coach. We hired him because he looked like a good hire in the exact same way that Coach Strong looked like a good hire... which should tell you something about how idiotic it seemed at the time. But what he really reminds me of most is John Mackovic.

I actually like the way he's handled the racial shit and the EOT, but a top-tier football team needs a top-tier football coach.

34 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

So BMDs hate that the fact they got in the ear of Mike Perrine and told him you have to hire Tom Herman?  But now they now really hate Tom, and CDC because of that?

Thought BMDs liked CDC?

We have several cliques of BMDs. One group gets a turn to pick the coach and the others sulk. Then, when that coach gets canned, the groups reverse roles and the sulkers get to pick our coach.

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

image.thumb.png.8707432cda6c146b9ee1bfa19d7dfb29.png

Two 8 win seasons in his career are the only subpar seasons he has had, one being his first year as a head coach...I would kill for this

I actually believe that he can come to Texas and not be an abject failure like everything else we have done over the last decade.

I probably just jinxed it...

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When you're defending national champs and you let Michigan State win the division and wind up in the playoffs, it's kind of a big deal. Plus Zeke was the best player in the country that year and sort of got screwed. 

But I was just refuting an incorrect assertion. Urban runs more of a system offense. Jim Tressel was much more flexible in adapting his offense to the talent on hand. 

He won a national title with Chris Leak at QB.  You should be aware.

7 minutes ago, Foosters said:

We have several cliques of BMDs. One group gets a turn to pick the coach and the others sulk. Then, when that coach gets canned, the groups reverse roles and the sulkers get to pick our coach.

You can thank the Houston donors including Rex Tillerson for locking in on Hernan. That’s not to rewrite history like it was a bad idea because at the time Herman was the best option. But the Houston crowd definitely pushed for Herman. 

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

A) The total unfield collapse has been happening for the past 3 weeks, it's gaining momentum like a snowball.  That's the other thing about the Sad pic of Sam.  The team is done, they don't even care about each other anymore.  That isn't attacking them, but a team has each other's back, there was no one that was even aware enough that their star QB who just went Superman mode was standing out on the field for the eyes by himself?  The team is done.

Do you mean the "Family"?  Tom prefers to call the team the Family.  

9 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You can thank the Houston donors including Rex Tillerson for locking in on Hernan. That’s not to rewrite history like it was a bad idea because at the time Herman was the best option. But the Houston crowd definitely pushed for Herman. 

Ah, hold on. Herman was the only option for a lot of the donors. They locked in on him pretty quick, even after he had stumbles against Navy, SMU, and Memphis. I'm not sure who else they might've been able to look at but it seemed like the antithesis of the Strong hire where there was an actual coaching search. 

Edited by mdmost

21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

What if Tom gets 3 weeks to prepare?

Tom's bowl game prowess suggests a mudhole of Okie State but who are we kidding. Also more time between the next home game / band / Eyes shitshow to get worked out. The fanbase stirring for 3 weeks over the ou game will suck however. 

14 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I don't feel like it should take three weeks to pack up an office, but if that's what it takes so be it.

I feel like if he was going to be fired before the next game it would have happened by now and wouldn't have spoken to the media today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, jinx said:

I actually believe that he can come to Texas and not be an abject failure like everything else we have done over the last decade.

I probably just jinxed it...

The college elite have scandals. They have things to hide. Yet, they go out there and compete EVERY fucking year. Hell, Ohio St, Oklahoma and Florida have done it with a few different coaches.

Why can’t we be those guys? 4-5 losses is a rebuilding year, not a standard. ou should be the only team that competes with us year in and year out in this shitty conference. Instead, we take the Michigan approach and keep our coach because he loves the University. We bend over and become our rival’s bitch on their way to more trophies.

I watched Texas/ou in complete apathy while smoking a turkey. OT cost me some mashed potatoes. I’m usually in my seat 20 minutes before kickoff.

Fuck Tom Herman and fuck ou

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, jinx said:

He won a national title with Chris Leak at QB.  You should be aware.

Aware? I was fucking THERE! Also, Tim Tebow had a little hand in that. And Teddy Ginn getting hurt on the opening kickoff return, and Troy Smith getting fat and lazy after winning the Heisman, and a bunch of Buckeye players who thought their championship was a foregone conclusion because they already beat #2 Texas and #2 Michigan. And LT Alex Boone was still a boozy fat slob. But Urban's a master motivator, especially as an underdog. 

On the Big Noon Kickoff show on Saturday, talking about Spencer Rattler's height, Urban gave a great breakdown of the dangers you face when you have a shorter QB and the different ways of scheming around them. He compared Rattler to Barrett and Leak and all but predicted the interception Rattler threw on 3rd and 9.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I feel like if he was going to be fired before the next game it would have happened by now and wouldn't have spoken to the media today. 
Oh, I know you're right, but it won't stop me from rationalizing that they just don't want to announce until Urban's deal is done and that's the only reason we haven't heard the news yet.

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

The college elite have scandals. They have things to hide. Yet, they go out there and compete EVERY fucking year. Hell, Ohio St, Oklahoma and Florida have done it with a few different coaches.

Why can’t we be those guys? 4-5 losses is a rebuilding year, not a standard. ou should be the only team that competes with us year in and year out in this shitty conference. Instead, we take the Michigan approach and keep our coach because he loves the University. We bend over and become our rival’s bitch on their way to more trophies.

i watched Texas/ou in complete apathy while smoking a turkey. I’m usually in my seat 20 minutes before kickoff.

Fuck Tom Herman and fuck ou

I went to every Gator home game in 2008 along with the SEC Championship and NC game while doing my MBA there.  I have witnessed an Urban Meyer coached team up close and in person.

I am certain that Meyer will win at Texas if he is given the opportunity.  I wouldn't expect anything past year 4, but who knows.  I didn't expect Saban to still be coaching at Bama at this point, and damn sure never saw Mack's resurgence at UNC.

I hope that Texas does the smart thing and is working numbers with Urban right now.  I don't care when Herman is fired, as long as it isn't more than 24 hours after our last regular season game.  But make it known immediately after that Urban is our guy.

I agree completely with you about letting OU run this conference because we are scared to hire someone like Urban. 

I had SEC friends texting asking if I was having a heart attack watching the OU game, and I let them know that I really didn't even care enough to get excited either way.  It would have been great to win, but I figured we wouldn't.

I think that Urban is interested in Texas and that it could happen, but based on 30 years of following Texas Football, I highly doubt it.

I can’t help but go back to Herman saying after a loss early in his tenure (can’t remember which game, probably Maryland) that he doesn’t believe in momentum. That might seem like a insignificant statement to some but that’s always stuck with me as a red flag. This kinda explains why he’s so quick to abandon the run game, why we sabotage our own drives with goofy reverses, etc. Also would explain why we didn’t go for 2 after regulation or OT 2 when we had OU defense on their heels. 
One of many data points we've already collected about Hermensa.

He MIGHT be a brilliant nerd, but he's stuck in turn-based gaming while everything else is RTS.

RTS Herman goes for the win when OU sux D is gassed. Turn-based Herman gets us Turtle Tom and the 3rd Quarter.

I’d guess a 9-4 first season for Meyer realistically. 

He’d follow up in year two with a 11-13 win season two and compete for a Big 12 title

Year 3 we are cfb playoff. 

This is based on his coaching history and what we have here. But year two could be expedited to 12-14 wins depending on how the cookie crumbles. 

Honestly in the current modern era it doesn’t take 4-6 years to rebuild or turn a program around  if you don’t have the turnaround in 2-3 years it’s not going to happen   

Edited by BurntOrange&White

37 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

My heart breaks for you that you had to endure that awful 12-1 season.   What a terrible time that must have been for Ohio State.

It was more frustrating dealing with all the Buckeye fans who looked at the 2015 team, asked what changed from 2014, and concluded that since Herman left and Beck came in, it must be all Beck's fault. That's just faulty logic. It was always Urban's team. But Urban is unimpeachable so all the blame fell on Beck. 

I also went 'round and 'round with Buckeye fans who thought the 2011 season was proof that Luke Fickell sucks as a coach. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

17 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Shoulda left the fuck at fair park.
Im not at all confident we do this right.
In fact im certain we will fuck this up to later learn urban wanted to come here but we took too long to ink a deal.

While I agree with the sentiment, that's the worst Haiku ever.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’d guess a 9-4 first season for Meyer realistically. 

He’d follow up in year two with a 11-13 win season two and compete for a Big 12 title

Year 3 we are cfb playoff. 

This is based on his coaching history and what we have here. But year two could be expedited to 12-14 wins depending on how the cookie crumbles. 

Honestly in the current modern era it doesn’t take 4-6 years to rebuild or turn a program around  if you don’t have the turnaround in 2-3 years it’s not going to happen   

Urban (or whoever) should have a pretty loaded roster for a first year HC. The 2018 class is a big disappointment thus far but there's lots of talent there. The OL will probably be terrible but an elite HC should be able to win right away. So 9-4 would be fine but I wouldn't be surprised by more 

This could all go to shit if we hold on to Herman too long and everyone transfers though 

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That Ballou dude stole my post from like 2 days ago.  

NOT GREAT, BOB! 

This continues to drive home the other dirty little secret that we never talk about on the 40 acres.  Everybody knows we got complacent and are just above average for the last 11 years.  But what really stings is the rest of the league went and got good while we were napping.  Sure Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, and A&M left and were replaced with who we thought would be "also-rans" in TCU and WVU.  But those teams are well-coached.  Baylor, TCU, OKL, and OSU went and invested just as much in facilities and coaches as we do...but they don't brag about them as incessantly.  Teams like KSU just continue to be a thorn in our side because they play tough and make fewer mistakes.  The 6 teams on that list decided that winning was important than branding.  They don't insist the world stop every few years for a coaching change. 

A couple of great seasons aside, we are just a rich school with an Alamo Bowl mentality for the last 25 years.  Those 6 teams on that list are a constant reminder of our complacency and unfounded arrogance.  We're the guy at the cocktail party who can't shut the fuck up about where he went to high school.   Meanwhile the other 6 guys already left to get back to work . 

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

image.thumb.png.8707432cda6c146b9ee1bfa19d7dfb29.png

Two 8 win seasons in his career are the only subpar seasons he has had, one being his first year as a head coach...I would kill for this

8 wins at Bowling Green isn't subpar.

2000 Bowling Green 2-9

2001 Urban's 1st year 8-3

2002 Utah 5-6

2003 Urban's 1st year 10-2

2004 Florida 7-5

2005 Urban's 1st year 9-3

2011 Ohio State 6-7

2012 Urban's 1st year 12-0

That is the difference coaching makes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Urban (or whoever) should have a pretty loaded roster for a first year HC. The 2018 class is a big disappointment thus far but there's lots of talent there. The OL will probably be terrible but an elite HC should be able to win right away. So 9-4 would be fine but I wouldn't be surprised by more 

With Urbs and the right OL coach, he could have his pick of the transfer portal and get at least a serviceable offensive line for year 1.  Just need CDC to pull the trigger quick enough. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas