Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

- Texas fans in 2014, 15, 16, 17, and now, 18.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you can’t watch this season and see the overall progress then idk what to tell you. Sam will be the best QB in the Big 12 next year and you have to believe our defense will be at least slightly better by default.

1 minute ago, Get ln My Van said:

The good thing about next season is we won’t trot Hager out there which will give a player with actual talent a chance. I think we will all enjoy what we see out of Ossai.

It's going to be a long season unless Christmas and/or Wilbon are in line for the Gaskamp award next year.

7 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

If you can’t watch this season and see the overall progress then idk what to tell you. Sam will be the best QB in the Big 12 next year and you have to believe our defense will be at least slightly better by default.

Orlando and Herman have to coach their asses off this week...... keep this young team together and improving.

Omenihu's interview after the game showed a high level of frustration almost bordering on a lack of hope.

Edited by LTtxfan

11 hours ago, Augustus said:

A man after my own heart.

Years back, I got pissed at a player for scoring a TD, and was shouted down by my brethren.

I seemed to be the only one who understood that scoring, and thereby giving the ball back to them, was the only scenario in which we could potentially lose.

It's a game of strategy, after all.

I pity those imbeciles that keep focusing on the “we are behind and if we don’t score we will lose” scenario.  Small minds like that couldn’t possibly keep up with your strategeries.  Keep being the smartest guy in the room, my friend.  

• Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

I’d like to see what Coburn brings to the table.

On his first college snap he got double teamed and knocked down.  I watched him a couple more plays and he was indistinguishable from Wilbon or Christmas.   So right now he brings nothing to the table that we don’t already have.  If he’s going to be a difference maker it will be via development in the S&C program.  On the other hand Ojomo looked twitchy and strong to me on the couple of plays I watched him.  

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

keep... Improving???

Go ahead point out the improvements since the 3rd quarter of ousux game

• Sam continues to progress
  • Ingram improvement including pass plays
  • Tre Watson had best game vs WVU
  • Cosmi continues to impress
  •  LJH played unbelievably vs WVU
  •  Duvernay improvement
  •  CJ last 2 games solid
  • Beck improving in the pass game
  • Boyd played much better vs WVU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, po elvis said:

i think defense is just more about the talent. we have some huge holes in talent out there. just got to get the guys in here.

Maryland, OSU and W. Virginia have more talent on Defense? im pro Herman and think he is the right hire but this whole we need more talent thing is getting old. 

1 minute ago, Errestaurants said:

Maryland, OSU and W. Virginia have more talent on Defense? im pro Herman and think he is the right hire but this whole we need more talent thing is getting old. 

Definitely need more experience too. They have to be coached to maximize their skill sets tho as well. Currently we are plugging in guys like they are supposed to automatically fit. 

22 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Abandon all hope. Shut down the program.

Just calm the fuck down.  If you don’t realize your posts read like aggy, maybe take a closer look at yourself.  It’s unbecoming.  

I don’t know wtf happened but the transition from the old site to the new one added some genuine dipshits.  

• Like 1

Take note the Big XII has some great QBs and top offensive coordinators that have changed must faster than the defenses. Even stalwart defenses like TCU struggling to keep up. There is a reason other top teams - see Alabama, see Clemson are showing more open Big XII like offenses.  They are tough to defend.

Better athletes with more experience helps, but its not like anyone has found some magic formula to shut these offenses down other than hoping they have an off week and hurt themselves.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Last season, the defense had to bail out the offense and keep them in games. This season, the offense is pretty damn stellar and the defense is trash. One of these years it might all come together and we'll have something special. Alas...

I think it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's with Herman. Last year he was gifted a nice defense and a poor offense, and an especially atrocious O line.
This year due to the improvement of Sam, LJH, CJ9, fewer injuries in August, and Herman's recruitment of Anderson and Ingram, the O has turned around.

As for defense, if Hill, Elliott, and Jefferson had come back this year....it's undeniable that we would be better. But we lost quality starters and now we don't have quality depth.
Next year will be a different story. 

Jeez. Why is it always all or nothing?

Last year it was: defense trending up, we'll lose Orlando to an HC job!; offense not trending at all, fire Herman, Beck and offensive staff!

This year: holy shit, the offense is getting pretty damn good, still hate the OC but let's not hang him; defense is getting gashed, Orlando is an amateur out of his league!

The offense was a disaster last year. The defense is suddenly getting gashed this year. There are particular reasons in each case. Are they being addressed is the question.

What happened to the talent level on our team? Offense older, defense younger.

What happened to strategy and tactics? Offense more balanced, more talented, more options. Defense finds that last year's scheme genius isn't so good with this team, slow to adjust, lacking essential front elements and depth to correct.

I've watched Herman change himself as a coach. I've watched the team be competitive in every game. "That's not enough for Texas!" It is for now for a Texas that hasn't been so for quite awhile.

I see solid recruiting. We'll see what happens to coaches on staff at the end of the year. Will we be in the CFP next year or within five years? We're on a better track for that since 2009.

If a few years pass and we need a bump to the next level, make a move at HC. Until then, keep your fucking shirts on. Almost everyone on this thread probably knows the details of football better than I do. In some ways, that's making you miserable. Then some of you insist on invasive sharing of your misery.

In many ways this is a great year of college football. Only a few dominant teams with everyone else capable and vulnerable. It makes for excitement, hope, disappointment for everyone. Fun and drama. Sports.

I was sick after losing yesterday especially after that fuck did the horns down after the catastrophic failure of our defense and defensive staff to suspect that WV might choose the same play to beat us that OSU used. I hated parity. But parity was pretty cool when we beat USC, OU, TCU, and K-State. It's a rare year.

We'll be better next year whether you hate hearing that or not. 

Best wishes my friends. Hook 'em.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Jeez. Why is it always all or nothing?

Last year it was: defense trending up, we'll lose Orlando to an HC job!; offense not trending at all, fire Herman, Beck and offensive staff!

This year: holy shit, the offense is getting pretty damn good, still hate the OC but let's not hang him; defense is getting gashed, Orlando is an amateur out of his league!

The offense was a disaster last year. The defense is suddenly getting gashed this year. There are particular reasons in each case. Are they being addressed is the question.

What happened to the talent level on our team? Offense older, defense younger.

What happened to strategy and tactics? Offense more balanced, more talented, more options. Defense finds that last year's scheme genius isn't so good with this team, slow to adjust, lacking essential front elements and depth to correct.

I've watched Herman change himself as a coach. I've watched the team be competitive in every game. "That's not enough for Texas!" It is for now for a Texas that hasn't been so for quite awhile.

I see solid recruiting. We'll see what happens to coaches on staff at the end of the year. Will we be in the CFP next year or within five years? We're on a better track for that since 2009.

If a few years pass and we need a bump to the next level, make a move at HC. Until then, keep your fucking shirts on. Almost everyone on this thread probably knows the details of football better than I do. In some ways, that's making you miserable. Then some of you insist on invasive sharing of your misery.

In many ways this is a great year of college football. Only a few dominant teams with everyone else capable and vulnerable. It makes for excitement, hope, disappointment for everyone. Fun and drama. Sports.

I was sick after losing yesterday especially after that fuck did the horns down after the catastrophic failure of our defense and defensive staff to suspect that WV might choose the same play to beat us that OSU used. I hated parity. But parity was pretty cool when we beat USC, OU, TCU, and K-State. It's a rare year.

We'll be better next year whether you hate hearing that or not. 

Best wishes my friends. Hook 'em.

Get this logic shit out of here.. kidding. Totally agree. We've lost 3 games by average of 3 points each.  All of which I feel we should have won or could have won. We beat OU.

From where Texas football was these past years you can't deny we are now trending in the right direction and all signs point to next year being better than this year and same with year after that.

As frustrating as these games have been, I'd rather be pissed about a stupid play or call then sitting back watching us get blown out by teams or losing to Kansas at their absolute worst.

Finish strong and the kool-aid supply will be in overdrive.

• Like 2

This thread title should be changed to "Is Herman the guy?" or "bitch about Herman."  I don't think many sane posters are saying/thinking he should be fired at this point.  This is not a Charlie -level grease fire.  We're a decent team that is improving in some areas, deteriorating in others, all the while exhibiting some concerning trends/patterns  that we saw at UH with Herman.  There's reason for concern, and that's about it.  

• Like 1

Just now, bschoolprof said:

This thread title should be changed to "Is Herman the guy?" or "bitch about Herman."  I don't think many sane posters are saying/thinking he should be fired at this point.  This is not a Charlie -level grease fire.  We're a decent team that is improving in some areas, deteriorating in others, all the while exhibiting some concerning trends/patterns  that we saw at UH with Herman.  There's reason for concern, and that's about it.  

We're in wait-and-see mode. We're saving this thread in case things go bad.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Just calm the fuck down.  If you don’t realize your posts read like aggy, maybe take a closer look at yourself.  It’s unbecoming.  

I don’t know wtf happened but the transition from the old site to the new one added some genuine dipshits.  

My posts read like aggy because unlike the majority of the pussies in here I have hope for next year? Haha fuck off.

What Disco and Roma have said.

I think many of the posters still see that we are improved this year as compared to last, but I also think many are just angry at losing these close type games that in the past under Brown, we have usually won

No, i dont hate Orlando, i think hes a solid DC and knows what he is doing. Same goes for Herman. What we are seeing is what happens when you lose your four best defensive stars, 3 of them early to the draft. 

If Jefferson, Elliot, Hill, and Williams were still here, we’d be undefeated. I dont think anyone here would be mad if we finished 10-3 on the season. Hell, id be elated

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Not that this helps, but we've lost 3 games this year by a total of 9 points. 

We're 4-3 in games decided by a score or less.

pretty much the story last year too where UT could have gone 9-3 in the regular season if not for screwups vs. USC, OK State and Tx Tech. 

56 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Changing the thread title would remove the red flag both sides see. I agree.

26 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

some of you are absolute embarrassments.  maybe don't post on game days?

No! Don't take away my game day entertainment. I love the streaming consciousness game thread where I can see how unhinged and reactionary our fan base is. 

• Like 1

Not trying to troll or anything but you guys know more about football than I do. We lost plenty of close games last year (Maryland, USC, OU, OSU, Tech), and it simply looks like the coin landed the otherwise and we won lots of close games this year (KSU, OU, Baylor). How much of our "improvement" this year really come down to luck?

4 minutes ago, Lost in the World said:

Not trying to troll or anything but you guys know more about football than I do. We lost plenty of close games last year (Maryland, USC, OU, OSU, Tech), and it simply looks like the coin landed the otherwise and we won lots of close games this year (KSU, OU, Baylor). How much of our "improvement" this year really come down to luck?

it comes down to we are still inconsistent on both O and D and turnovers(which IMO aren't really luck) and the D is worse than last year.  The difference I see is we are leading these games for the most part but either the D or O fails to put the foot on the throat.  3 big games for Herman coming up if he wants to really claim improvement.  maryland and OSU left him with no wiggle room.

3 hours ago, VaHorn said:

I pity those imbeciles that keep focusing on the “we are behind and if we don’t score we will lose” scenario.  Small minds like that couldn’t possibly keep up with your strategeries.  Keep being the smartest guy in the room, my friend.  

We weren't behind, grumpy, which is why giving the other team the ball back was their only hope of winning.

I've never been the smartest guy in any room, though I was often the drunkest.

14 minutes ago, Lost in the World said:

Think of it more like finding ways to win games, as opposed to losing them.

3 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

The offense is better than last year, though familiar coaching issues like play calling and personnel management are still here. The majority of that improvement can be attributed to Herb Hand, Calvin Anderson, and the work the OL put in between last season and this year, as well as injury luck with that unit. They have gone from atrocious to average/above average and that makes a world of difference, but it is still a couple of years away from being really good, which places a ceiling on the offense. Sam has definitely improved, particularly when it comes to taking care of the ball. Eight straight games with no INTs is damn impressive. Is the offense going to be better next year, though? Three key OL pieces depart with no obvious answer waiting in the wings to fill a void at RT (assuming Cosmi moves to LT and is decent, itself a fairly big assumption). The unit will lack depth again, a couple injuries will put them in a tough spot. One of CJ or LJH is probably gone. The staffing issues will still be here. Frankly, the offense being just as good next year would be an achievement.

Defensively this team has regressed even when adjusting for the loss of four NFL players and Michael Dickson. People expecting it to be just as good as last season or nearly so were always stupid, but being this bad is embarrassing. Texas hasn't done shit against any good offense it has played. Gary Johnson will be gone, and everything else we've seen at LB has been a whole lot of meh. Secondary will be very young. One senior and a bunch of SOs and RS FRs, the latter of which have barely seen game action. I'm actually optimistic about them because no Locke or DD is probably addition by subtraction in the long run, but they can't exactly be counted on. Roach coming back will help, but if we had gifted pass rushers on the roster surely they would have seen the field by now in an attempt to remedy the issues we've seen there. The two best run defenders will also be gone from the DL.

At this point it is unlikely Texas gets into the CCG in a very down year for the Big 12 conference. TCU and OSU have proven to be too well coached to expect one down year to turn into two. Iowa State will be a problem as long as Campbell is there. OU is OU. LSU comes to town in non-conference. With all of the questions above and the questionable track record of this staff, do we really think it is a safe bet to assume Texas will be crushing it in 2019?

58 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

some of you are absolute embarrassments.  maybe don't post on game days?

Weren't you the same embarrassment who berated people for not believing in Charlie and then changed your tune very quickly? Even as far as creating a thread called Hire Charlie that did not age well. He was fired that same year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lost in the World said:

I don't believe in 'luck'. All our wins were legit as were our losses. Maybe certain plays throughout a game can be described as quirky or lucky but the results after 60min of play are what they are.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Weren't you the same embarrassment who berated people for not believing in Charlie and then changed your tune very quickly? Even as far as creating a thread called Hire Charlie that did not age well. He was fired that same year.

i don't remember doing that, but i was definitely on the charlie bandwagon longer than most because i really liked him as a person.  not sure what that has to do with anything though.  if you think this year is like any of charlie's seasons you're just watching something different than what i'm watching.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don't believe in 'luck'. All our wins were legit as were our losses. Maybe certain plays throughout a game can be described as quirky or lucky but the results after 60min of play are what they are.

This. In a more broad sense, once you are in November, your record is a pretty good indicator of what you are. No reasonable person would say any of the wins should have been losses or vise versa. Each game has ended with the result that was deserved.

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

we were not fucking lucky to beat ou.  it's like some of you forget how much of an ass kicking that was before their big come back.  if anything in that game was lucky, it was that comeback.

This

And I thought luck was what happens when preparation meets opportunity....yea I'm pretty sure somebody said that somewhere once.

• Like 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:
5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:
Your reading comprehension is poor.
See the "where it comes to mind" and "might".
I said prior to all those caveats we won the games we should have.
Post less.

Hey now, don't be hateful to the resident retard. He's just slow. Really slow.

man, that really stings coming from a guy like you.

• Fuck You 1

dude i don't give a shit that you're negging me.  i only noticed because my notifications are blowing up because you're following me around and doing it.  

you're all upset because i said 1) we weren't lucky to beat ou and 2) we're not losing to kansas.  i'm sorry that upsets you so much.

This. In a more broad sense, once you are in November, your record is a pretty good indicator of what you are. No reasonable person would say any of the wins should have been losses or vise versa. Each game has ended with the result that was deserved.
Wat?

Are you on dope?

Gtfo.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas