Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

39 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Who - besides Urban - would be good options?  Which of those would be interested and realistic?

- Matt Campbell? Likely interested.

- PJ Fleck? Likely interested.

- Kyle Shanahan?  Any idea whether he has any interest in coaching in CFB?

- Harsin?

- I just doubt that they would go for Gundy or Patterson, even if they're interested.

Who else?

someone who won't kill my mom. not that any of them would do so by losing to a terrible ou team while her health was failing so that the last game she saw before she died after thirty fucking years of Texas fandom was THAT...

• Hook 'Em 1

If Herman wins in Stillwater against the #6 team in the country, it's going to make an easy situation messy.  Congrats CDC, you fucking moron.  Good leaders make hard decisions at the right time.  Both our basketball program and football program are in the gutter.  If this job is too big for you, fucking go back to TCU.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

2021 recruiting may be shot but with the one time transfer option this offseason, you can cobble together enough pieces to field a good team next year. 

That's a two way street.  I wouldn't be surprised if we had a decent number of talented prospects hop off this train as well.  Kenyatta Watson already left.  He's a CB with NFL athleticism that looked good in the limited playing time he received on defense and special teams.  I can see Jake Smith leaving along with Eagles and Marcus Washington.  Jalen Green is a guy that could probably start at many programs rather than riding the bench for a shitty Texas team.  Bryon Vaughns just entered the portal.  Leibrock is a guy that was rumored to on the look out for a transfer recently.  Some of these kids want a future with football outside of college.  Our program will need to battle other schools telling them they can immediately transfer and start and be developed.  

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

That's a two way street.  I wouldn't be surprised if we had a decent number of talented prospects hop off this train as well.  Kenyatta Watson already left.  He's a CB with NFL athleticism that looked good in the limited playing time he received on defense and special teams.  I can see Jake Smith leaving along with Eagles and Marcus Washington.  Jalen Green is a guy that could probably start at many programs rather than riding the bench for a shitty Texas team.  Bryon Vaughns just entered the portal.  Leibrock is a guy that was rumored to on the look out for a transfer recently.  Some of these kids want a future with football outside of college.  Our program will need to battle other schools telling them they can immediately transfer and start and be developed.  

I hear what you are saying but... Kenyatta wasn't great here despite $9.95ers pumping him up..  When he got some action vs UTEP, they were attacking him and having success.  And for all the blame that the defense gets.. they atleast will play you if they think you are better than the person in front of you.. and clearly he wasnt

Greg Schiano did in week 1 what Chris Ash could only do 3 out of 29 times during his entire tenure at Rutgers. 

I’m confused by a few things I’m seeing on this thread:

1) The sentiment that Chris Ash would be worth even the bullet fired at his head as an interim HC here. He’s a square-jawed meathead just like his current boss and was an abject failure at his lone HC job, in every aspect. 

2) That Mike Yurcich and Urban Meyer have any working history of substance together and that he’d be a guy Meyer would want on staff. Hell, I don’t even understand why anyone here would want him on staff. 

3) That Luke Fickell deserves even a first glance as a HC candidate.  

Anyway, onward and downward, I suppose. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Greg Schiano did in week 1 what Chris Ash could only do 3 out of 29 times during his entire tenure at Rutgers. 

1) The sentiment that Chris Ash would be worth even the bullet fired at his head as an interim HC here. He’s a square-jawed meathead just like his current boss and was an abject failure at his lone HC job, in every aspect. 

2) That Mike Yurcich and Urban Meyer have any working history of substance together and that he’d be a guy Meyer would want on staff. Hell, I don’t even understand why anyone here would want him on staff. 

So literally Urban or bust then.

The only possible reasons I can think of for this are:

1) he was on osus staff under Urban at one point, right? So there's at least some connection.

But more importantly 2) if Ewers really was sold on Yurcich as reported, your best chance at bringing him back might be to convince him Herman was the problem and under a new HC he'll have the offense he was sold.

The second one is a super longshot, but I could see keeping Yurcich on in some capacity if you believe it gives you a better shot with Ewers.

If we fire Herman after what I presume will not be a good showing Saturday, the season takes on a surreal kind of meaning for me. It will be like binge watching Jackass. I will find it morbidly funny, holy shit and pathetically sad all at once. So in that vein, fuck it let Ash coach the last few games. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

If we fire Herman after what I presume will not be a good showing Saturday, the season takes on a surreal kind of meaning for me. It will be like binge watching Jackass. I will find it morbidly funny, holy shit and pathetically sad all at once. So in that vein, fuck it let Ash coach the last few games. 

We should let OG take the helm on an interim basis

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I don't care about this staff once Tom is fired let the new coach decide..  they all had parts in this shit sandwich .. sorry BC thanks for the memories in the '18/'19 and '20 classes..  Looking back..should have taken that LSU gig

Imagine what carrington could do with a competent head coach? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The only possible reasons I can think of for this are:

1) he was on osus staff under Urban at one point, right? So there's at least some connection.

But more importantly 2) if Ewers really was sold on Yurcich as reported, your best chance at bringing him back might be to convince him Herman was the problem and under a new HC he'll have the offense he was sold.

The second one is a super longshot, but I could see keeping Yurcich on in some capacity if you believe it gives you a better shot with Ewers.

I haven’t reviewed much lately, but I don’t recall Yurcich ever working with Meyer. 

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

My list if Meyer says no looks something like this:

- anger
- depression
- alcoholism
- hardcore drug experimentation
- lose job/home/family as life spirals like a Tom Herman recruiting class
- get it together and go to rehab
- start fresh
- get stable enough to reengage with Texas sports and realize we're still a dumpster fire with whatever g5 coach we hired
- fall off wagon
- start process over

so typical Saturday watching Texas football

• Hook 'Em 1

No inside info, but just guessing: I think Herman could be fired Sunday regardless of the outcome of OSU. Five to ten days later Urban is announced, depending upon state hiring laws and posting requirements. I also think the package value I posted earlier may be too conservative because that was before the recruiting class meltdowns. Probably $3-5m higher but some of that incentive laden.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
I haven’t reviewed much lately, but I don’t recall Yurcich ever working with Meyer. 

No, you're right. I was off by a year. He started at OSU is 2019 after Meyer.

Yurcich was at OSU (Oklahoma State) while Meyer was at OSU (Ohio State).

I propose we use fOSU for Ohio State and Okie Lite for Oklahoma State to avoid further instances of confusion...

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Yurcich was at OSU (Oklahoma State) while Meyer was at OSU (Ohio State).

I propose we use fOSU for Ohio State and Okie Lite for Oklahoma State to avoid further instances of confusion...

What does the f stand for in fOSU?

I also posted this in the Quinn Ewers thread in Recruiting...

On 104.9, Trey Elling just said that he's hearing in recruiting circles that Herman has been saying some negative things about Ewers, and that stuff got back to the Ewers family and that's how all of this came about.  Also said that Herman made no effort to rectify the comments or keep him committed.  I'm officially on the "he knows his fate and he's burning the place down on his way out."

It was a totally WTF moment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 104.9, Trey Elling just said that he's hearing in recruiting circles that Herman has been saying some negative things about Ewers, and that stuff got back to the Ewers family and that's how all of this came about.  Also said that Herman made no effort to rectify the comments or keep him committed.  I'm officially on the "he knows his fate and he's burning the place down on his way out."
Just like mack when he was killing himself in Florida. This is good news.
  • Hook 'Em 2

If this could be in any way substantiated, I hope Herman gets fired without a cent of buyout money.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

What the actual fuck? If true, CDC needs to pull that trigger NOW. TRAITOR.

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

If this could be in any way substantiated, I hope Herman gets fired without a cent of buyout money.

If this is true then dbeasy's speculation makes sense that Herman would be fired regardless of Saturday's outcome.

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

Yeah, that seems like it would be grounds for termination with cause, with no buyout due. 

Just now, NTVTXN said:

PSA for you DFW area Homies.

I just stopped by the Ticket and heard them tease the next segment as “Who knew Southlake would be the end of Tom Herman” or something to that affect...so tune in if you’re so inclined...

ok, cool.  hook 'em.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Huh?? I thought trey elling had the rona.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

If Herman wins in Stillwater against the #6 team in the country, it's going to make an easy situation messy.  Congrats CDC, you fucking moron.  Good leaders make hard decisions at the right time.  Both our basketball program and football program are in the gutter.  If this job is too big for you, fucking go back to TCU.

You got it all wrong. If he wins we send him out on a high note with a $20M parting gift. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas