Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

I see what you’re saying, but anywhere this type of shit show goes on, regardless of who the QB is, fan boards for that team are going to have some pretty rough takes, and no one is safe.
Assuming he's going to Ohio State, you can safely say that lack of rational, reasonable, patient fans is not the reason he second guessed Texas.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm not blaming us, I'm just saying our fanbase is toxic as fuck especially right now. 

You have to be kidding, right? Have you ever been to an Ohio State board? Ohio State? Clemson?

They are savages. Just like every school. 

You are being silly. Please stop being silly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, JFKFC said:

You have to be kidding, right? Have you ever been to an Ohio State board? Ohio State? Clemson?

They are savages. Just like every school. 

You are being silly. Please stop being silly.

This.  Every school has shitty, toxic, asshole fans who get on twitter and spit bile at players/coaches/administration all day long.  Sadly most of these recruits are used to it because the same thing is happening at the high school level.

QE didn't decommit because fans are shitty - he decommitted because Tom Herman sold him on a Mike Yurcich offense and then failed to deliver one.  Tom couldn't just stay out of the way - he had to have his hand in it.  And now its all gone to shit.

Tom needs to be gone.  At this point it doesn't matter if Urban is the guy or not. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

I love a good cesspool declaration of our fan base as much as the next guy but this is all on Herman. This should have been our year. Senior QB, great OC, 3 good RBs, multiple WR options. OU in a rare down moment. Tom just is what he is, a mid-level coach whose ceiling is maybe a 10 win season and the Sugar Bowl. And he only got that because of Sam. I don't blame Ewers one bit. Look at the differences in our program and Ohio State. It didn't skip a beat when Urban left. They are the class of the Big 10. They put guys in the NFL. You come to Texas and you most likely don't develop and don't get drafted. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

My expectations are what and anger/raging apathy are in line with what has been promised the last ten years. To win the Big 12 and play in the CFP. That’s what we’ve been told by the last two HCs. That’s what us “overly passionate shithead fans” have been lead to believe our the goals of this football program. That’s why DMW UConn Tom keeps saying our goals are still ahead of us. If that’s not what the BOR or school wants, just tell us. Hire someone who’s an aw shucks great guy who will promise we will be competitive in all our games and try to make a bowl each season. Then y’all can blame us fans for being pissed because our expectations are not in line with reality or the program. Shit! Our expectations have not changed in the past decade—-nor have the goals of the school. So I am not ashamed for being pissed. It’s all I got left before I stop giving a shit. If the goals have changed, just tell us in no uncertain terms and I will spend my passion on other more productive outlets. Lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's bad news, but I'm tired of being excited about recruits and thinking they're the difference makers. I don't care. Herman with 5 stars is only marginally better than Herman with 3 stars.

I would say "I'd rather have Urban with 3-stars than Herman with 5-stars" but that doesn't make sense because Urban will get his 4-5 stars.

This is great news, for all I care, because it's bad for Tom Herman.

The coach matters. 2022 recruits don't.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA TFB on Jatavion Sanders

Spoiler

As you know by now, 5-star QB commit, Quinn Ewers has decommitted from Texas. Before that, we saw Texas lose long time 2021 commit, Billy Bowman.

Up until now, 2021 5-star DE, Ja’Tavion Sanders, however, has remained solid to Texas.

In fact, I had heard, even recently, he really wasn’t even entertaining other schools.

I am now hearing that that has changed. I’m not ready to say there is an imminent decommitment but it’s looking like much more of a possibility.

• Rage+1 2

Just now, bad_teammate said:

It's bad news, but I'm tired of being excited about recruits and thinking they're the difference makers. I don't care. Herman with 5 stars is only marginally better than Herman with 3 stars.

I would say "I'd rather have Urban with 3-stars than Herman with 5-stars" but that doesn't make sense because Urban will get his 4-5 stars.

This is great news, for all I care, because it's bad for Tom Herman.

The coach matters. 2022 recruits don't.

username definitely checks out

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It is kind of weird isn't it? There was no reason for him to lie to the Statesman, he could have easily just said something vague.

I wonder what changed over two days? Did somebody say something to him?

Well, just last weekend Ohio State played their first game of the year and looked miles ahead of us in their demolition of Nebraska. Maybe Ewers was waiting for that type of confirmation before jumping ship. Who knows.

A lot of misplaced anger in this thread.

No one should be mad at Herman. I'm not competent to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, but if someone offers me the job with a huge salary, and an incredible golden parachute, I'm taking the job.

The idiots who hired & retained Strong and Herman are the problem. CDC will hire another non-Power 5 coach who will fail. Don't blame that coach for taking the pay day. We all would  take it. Blame CDC.  

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

No one should be mad at Herman. I'm not competent to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, but if someone offers me the job with a huge salary, and an incredible golden parachute, I'm taking the job.

The idiots who hired & retained Strong and Herman are the problem. CDC will hire another non-Power 5 coach who will fail. Don't blame that coach for taking the pay day. We all would  take it. Blame CDC.  

Mike Perrin?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

Mike Perrin, Greg Fenves, and the Houston BMDs hired Herman

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

CDC didn’t hire Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

CDC didn't hire Herman. CDC's other hires at Texas have worked out well so far. If anything you can fault each faction of the donors having their pet cat head coaching candidate. Prior to that, Patterson and Fenves wanted Strong over everyone. In reality, they should've gone with James Franklin. The next head coach cannot come from a mid-level program. They simply are not geared for what awaits them. This is not a learn on the job situation. 

I'm good with Urban because this thing needs the Parcells top down rebuild. It needs a guy who can pull effort and results out of the existing talent. The next head coach will have next to nothing in recruiting. They will have to come in and win with what's on the roster. Thankfully, we can use the portal to bring in talent. Of all the years, this is the best one to have this situation. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5

Just now, mdmost said:

CDC didn't hire Herman. CDC's other hires at Texas have worked out well so far. If anything you can fault each faction of the donors having their pet cat head coaching candidate. Prior to that, Patterson and Fenves wanted Strong over everyone. The next head coach cannot come from a mid-level program. They simply are not geared for what awaits them. This is not a learn on the job situation. 

This.  I mean each of CDC's hires at Texas have been 'big swing' home run type hires.  It gives me hope that CDC can get an Urban hire done.  But even if he can't - Herman needs to be gone after the OSU game.  

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Is this like when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?   

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

CDC didn't hire Herman. CDC's other hires at Texas have worked out well so far. If anything you can fault each faction of the donors having their pet cat head coaching candidate. Prior to that, Patterson and Fenves wanted Strong over everyone. In reality, they should've gone with James Franklin. The next head coach cannot come from a mid-level program. They simply are not geared for what awaits them. This is not a learn on the job situation. 

I'm good with Urban because this thing needs the Parcells top down rebuild. It needs a guy who can pull effort and results out of the existing talent. The next head coach will have next to nothing in recruiting. They will have to come in and win with what's on the roster. Thankfully, we can use the portal to bring in talent. Of all the years, this is the best one to have this situation. 

mdmost dropping truth bombs this morning

43 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

QE didn't decommit because fans are shitty - he decommitted because Tom Herman sold him on a Mike Yurcich offense and then failed to deliver one.  Tom couldn't just stay out of the way - he had to have his hand in it.  And now its all gone to shit.

This. 

@immamac Never go full Wescott.

This.  I mean each of CDC's hires at Texas have been 'big swing' home run type hires.  It gives me hope that CDC can get an Urban hire done.  But even if he can't - Herman needs to be gone after the OSU game.  
Prior to this, I was in the camp that you couldn't pull the trigger on Herman until you were ready to announce the next coach.

As clear as it has been that Herman needs to be gone, we had a strong 22 class started and you couldn't risk shaking that up with a poorly managed transition.

Now...

Just now, mdmost said:

I get the sense it's not up to CDC any more. There are no more upsides to keeping Tom. Not when you lose the top recruit and the future of your program. 

And Ewers a lifelong Longhorn fan at that. That really hurts. Your posts on this matter this morning have been nothing short of brilliant. 

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

Prior to this, I was in the camp that you couldn't pull the trigger on Herman until you were ready to announce the next coach.

As clear as it has been that Herman needs to be gone, we had a strong 22 class started and you couldn't risk shaking that up with a poorly managed transition.

Now...

Same for me. I loathe mid-season firings because of the instability it creates. There's no downside to getting rid of him now. The class is falling apart right now. If he loses to oSu, make the move and promote Ash. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Can somebody summarize the state of things? I know the product on the field is trash, the band isn't showing up, Coach Tom seems in over his head and a dick to boot, and apparently The Eyes isn't a source of pride for the program right now.

What else is going on?

There's always recruiting! We just lost a generational talent at QB and we're about to lose a 5 star DE after losing a 5 star DB. 

Can somebody summarize the state of things? I know the product on the field is trash, the band isn't showing up, Coach Tom seems in over his head and a dick to boot, and apparently The Eyes isn't a source of pride for the program right now.

What else is going on?
Imagine if Vince had decommitted less than 90 days after committing. That pretty much just happened, on top of the other things you mentioned.

Oh, and a bunch of stud recruits we were after are going to osu now, probably related to the decommitment.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What else is going on?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30214421/quarterback-quinn-ewers-no-1-2022-recruiting-class-decommits-texas-longhorns

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas