Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, ousux said:

No no no no noooooo..false hope is a dangerous thing.

At this point if cdc doesnt shitcan Herman before the season is over, nothing short of backdooring into the CFB playoffs and winning the whole fuckin thing will salvage a decent recruiting class. If corch Irving Meyers agrees (and our people can overlook indiscretions at Gata) to wear burnt orange and retain Yurcich...thats our best shot at getting Ewers back.

to be fair, I'd kill someone to have a TE like Aaron Hernandez on our team

• Haha 2

A hallmark of the Tom Herman era is that there have been maybe 2 times that Tom Herman's team has been aligned in all 3 phases of football where each aspect of the team is playing well. Offense, defense, special teams. For a guy that preaches alignment, we rarely see it. Those 2 were the Georgia Sugar Bowl game and the Utah Alamo Bowl game. Outside of those two, I cannot thing of a single instance against a competent team that Herman's team was ever firing on all 3 fronts. Maybe USC in 2018. Really anything post 2018 has been nothing but going downhill or spinning our wheels. I cannot think back to a Big 12 game where we've won comfortably since then. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

A hallmark of the Tom Herman era is that there have been maybe 2 times that Tom Herman's team has been aligned in all 3 phases of football where each aspect of the team is playing well. Offense, defense, special teams. For a guy that preaches alignment, we rarely see it. Those 2 were the Georgia Sugar Bowl game and the Utah Alamo Bowl game. Outside of those two, I cannot thing of a single instance against a competent team that Herman's team was ever firing on all 3 fronts. Maybe USC in 2018. Really anything post 2018 has been nothing but going downhill or spinning our wheels. I cannot think back to a Big 12 game where we've won comfortably since then. 

Agreed.  Although I didn't realize it while watching, if you look back Tom turtled hard the 4th quarter of the Sugar Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rip the damn Band-Aid off...  FIRE FUCKIN' HERMAN NOW

• Players will be happier and play better
  • Texas Assistants will be freed up to coach better
  • Recruits might wait to see who TEXAS hires as new head coach
  • Alumni and fans will start having some hope for the future again
  • Sunday practices won't be the best day of the week for TEXAS FB
  • Less Surly folks end up in jail on Saturdays after a HORNS FB game
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So besides smu/tcu/unt, what schools do the dfw media like now??
Increasingly aggy. Seems the greater Houston area is aggy saturated, many of them infesting DFW now

Edit- and fucking blowU. None of the gooners stay in OKC after graduation, they go as far as a tank of gas takes them, and think south is the only direction on a compass.
  • Haha 1

Seriously just do it already. The election is perfect smokescreen for the administration's concern about optics
Right or wrong, I'm currently choosing to believe that Ewers decommitment was the final straw, and the only reason Herman has not been fired already is that we're two days out from a game and it puts the players/coaches in a strange spot.

I'm in the camp that, win or lose, Tom Herman should not be giving a normal Monday presser because news should already be out that he's done.

I just can't imagine any other rational explanation for him still being our coach today.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

all I'm saying is that Mom was just fine before we lost to ou

don't want anyone to think that TOM HERMAN KILLED MY MOM or anything like that, because it would be ridiculous to say that TOM HERMAN KILLED MY MOM by causing her to give up after that shitty, godawful performance against the terrible sooners, yet again, so I won't be saying that TOM HERMAN KILLED MY MOM anytime soon. It would be a mistake of Greg-Davis-supporting levels to think that TOM HERMAN KILLED MY MOM just because her health suddenly started to fail and she died right after an ou loss. So let's not so go out and say that TOM HERMAN FUCKING KILLED MY MOM, THAT SONOFABITCH WITH HIS SHITTY COACHING AND SHITTY PERSONALITY AND OTHER SHIT. I won't be writing CDC to say FIRE THAT MOTHER KILLING ASSHOLE, because that would be stupid. 

but still FUCK YOU TOM

So did Tom Herman kill your mom?

5 minutes ago, ousux said:

Increasingly aggy. Seems the greater Houston area is aggy saturated, many of them infesting DFW now

Edit- and fucking blowU. None of the gooners stay in OKC after graduation, they go as far as a tank of gas takes them, and think south is the only direction on a compass.

Yep DFW is gooner central.  I know SMU grads that root for ou.  As you stated, a lot of okies moved to DFW.

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

A hallmark of the Tom Herman era is that there have been maybe 2 times that Tom Herman's team has been aligned in all 3 phases of football where each aspect of the team is playing well. Offense, defense, special teams. Those 2 were the Georgia Sugar Bowl game and the Utah Alamo Bowl game. Outside of those two, I cannot thing of a single instance against a competent team that Herman's team was every firing on all 3 fronts. Maybe USC in 2018. Really anything post 2018 has been nothing but going downhill or spinning our wheels. I cannot think back to a Big 12 game where we've won comfortably since then. 

Tom Herman is 20/32 in Big 12 play since arriving here. Of those 20 wins, we've outscored opponents 690 to 494. That's an average of 9.8 points. The only blowouts of 20 points or more were 2017 Baylor (38-7) and 2019 Texas Tech (49-24). Winning is hard?

• Hook 'Em 1

Who - besides Urban - would be good options?  Which of those would be interested and realistic?

- Matt Campbell? Likely interested.

- PJ Fleck? Likely interested.

- Kyle Shanahan?  Any idea whether he has any interest in coaching in CFB?

- Harsin?

- I just doubt that they would go for Gundy or Patterson, even if they're interested.

Who else?

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Who - besides Urban - would be good options?  Which of those would be interested and realistic?

- Harsin?

- I just doubt that they would go for Gundy or Patterson, even if they're interested.

Who else?

I'm at the point of firing TH first and naming one of Ash, Drayton or Yurcich interim coach.  See what they can bring.. if Urban says no, why not let let them continue to coach throughout next year too.. recruiting is fucked.. if the money is that tight, keep the staff and plug away til they can get a yes from a big fish..

sounds worse when I typed this than in my head smh

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

all I'm saying is that Mom was just fine before we lost to ou

don't want anyone to think that TOM HERMAN KILLED MY MOM or anything like that, because it would be ridiculous to say that TOM HERMAN KILLED MY MOM by causing her to give up after that shitty, godawful performance against the terrible sooners, yet again, so I won't be saying that TOM HERMAN KILLED MY MOM anytime soon. It would be a mistake of Greg-Davis-supporting levels to think that TOM HERMAN KILLED MY MOM just because her health suddenly started to fail and she died right after an ou loss. So let's not so go out and say that TOM HERMAN FUCKING KILLED MY MOM, THAT SONOFABITCH WITH HIS SHITTY COACHING AND SHITTY PERSONALITY AND OTHER SHIT. I won't be writing CDC to say FIRE THAT MOTHER KILLING ASSHOLE, because that would be stupid. 

but still FUCK YOU TOM

THKRM

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

- Harsin?
Who else?
My list if Meyer says no looks something like this:

- anger
- depression
- alcoholism
- hardcore drug experimentation
- lose job/home/family as life spirals like a Tom Herman recruiting class
- get it together and go to rehab
- start fresh
- get stable enough to reengage with Texas sports and realize we're still a dumpster fire with whatever g5 coach we hired
- fall off wagon
- start process over
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- Matt Campbell? Likely interested. Herman 2.0

- PJ Fleck? Likely interested. Same as Above

- Kyle Shanahan?  Any idea whether he has any interest in coaching in CFB? Not interested in CFB as discussed many times

- Harsin? LOL

- I just doubt that they would go for Gundy or Patterson, even if they're interested. Both have no reason to leave their schools, they win enough year to year and beat Texas on a regular basis which keeps the boosters at bay. 

Who else? Maybe Cristobal but I can't think of anyone else I'd want that's an instant impact guy.

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- Harsin?

Who else?

Vanderbilt had one winning season in 27 years before James Franklin took over.  He went 24-15 and had two top 25 finishes in his three seasons.  Vanderbilt hasn't had a winning record since he left.

Franklin is 56-24 in his 6 seasons at Penn State and has 1 top 20 finish and 3 top 10 finishes.

Yes he just lost to Indiana - but if Urban isn't an option James Franklin needs to be on the list.

Since it’s almost Halloween 🎃 this is my horror/nightmare scenario:

Riley gets hired by NFL team in a few weeks. OU donors have been prepared for him leaving for the next level (since it’s been mentioned lots in MSM that he would) and while they won’t have even close to our money have had their next hire in mind and won’t hesitate to offer/pull the trigger. 

We beat OSU and somehow are able to play in the Big 12 and lose big. Our BOR and BMDs haven’t pulled the trigger on a new hire Bc Big 12 championship appearance. Even with all the national media talking about it and Urban. We didn’t offer...

OU hires Meyer. Since Meyer already has gear with the letters O and U on it and it’s a similar red he can just duck tape the S off shit if he’s a cheapskate. They kick our ass in recruiting and in the Big 12 for the next decade (even if Meyer doesn’t last for 5 years he will have left behind a successor of some sort they can promote). OU gets back to back recruiting top 5 classes.

Texas Monthly writes a major article on how Texas screwed up the Urban hire. That’s it. That’s my nightmare. I know it won’t happen...but the fact that it’s so vivid in my mind as being possible is Bc UT has done nothing over the last decade to make me think that it’s impossible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Oh good. The guy who was fired from Rutgers for being a bad head coach should just casually shift into the driver's seat at the University of Fucking Texas. I'm sure that'll make us all feel better. 

As opposed to continuing to allow Tom Herman to fuck up this team/recruiting?  Let Yurcich run the offense and I feel more confident about this team finishing out the season with Ash as interim than I would if Tom was still here.

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- Harsin?

Who else?

I’d take Luke Fickell but I’ve mentioned it a few too many times. He’d be my choice if not Urban or Fleck. I don’t know of anyone else really. Unless we go the NFL coordinator route. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

As opposed to continuing to allow Tom Herman to fuck up this team/recruiting?  Let Yurcich run the offense and I feel more confident about this team finishing out the season with Ash as interim than I would if Tom was still here.

Plus, winning at Rutgers is almost impossible. I'm not sure how much I would hold that failure against any HC thrust into that position.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Oh good. The guy who was fired from Rutgers for being a bad head coach should just casually shift into the driver's seat at the University of Fucking Texas. I'm sure that'll make us all feel better. 

This isn't a Coach O type deal where he could win the job. If Herman's fired, the season is shot. The season is shot if you lose to oSu. There is no Big 12 title to chase. There is no decent bowl. 

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d take Luke Fickell but I’ve mentioned it a few too many times. He’d be my choice if not Urban or Fleck. I don’t know of anyone else really. Unless we go the NFL coordinator route. 

Other than his interim year at OSU, 

- 13 years as (co)DC at Ohio State

- inherited a 4-8 team, went 4-8 in his first year

- 26-5 since then

On the flip side, no (or few) big wins.  Overall, looks Charlie Strong-ish.  (Strong had one big win over Fla.)

Interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  Every school has shitty, toxic, asshole fans who get on twitter and spit bile at players/coaches/administration all day long.  Sadly most of these recruits are used to it because the same thing is happening at the high school level.

QE didn't decommit because fans are shitty - he decommitted because Tom Herman sold him on a Mike Yurcich offense and then failed to deliver one.  Tom couldn't just stay out of the way - he had to have his hand in it.  And now its all gone to shit.

Tom needs to be gone.  At this point it doesn't matter if Urban is the guy or not. 

Good post save for the last sentence.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas