Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

Urban doesn't need to string Texas along just to get Herman fired and then back out. That's short-game, littleman narcissism. Urban is a big man narcissist. He knows Tom is dead in the water here. How does Tom getting fired do anything for him as a way of payback? A narcissist like Urban is the kind that will want to step into the exact role of someone he hates, do everything that person couldn't, then walk away like he didn't even care about it. Pure smug spite.

And that's exactly what Urban intends to do.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Tylerocks said:

Ewers is a generational talent

Doesn't matter if he turns out or not, that's the national consensus. That looks terribad when you lose the commitment, number 1. Number 2: other top athletes are going to want to follow a generational talent, perceived or not.  

The question becomes, is Quinn leaving because he knows Tom is gone?  Or is he leaving because he knows Tom is staying?
All of the "reasonable" talking heads said  Tom wouldnt get fired unless we started losing recruits.  Well, that time has come.  Whats going to be the new excuse?

Tom will be his QB coach at OSU ( head duck).

20 minutes ago, dbecks said:

I still like P.J. Fleck.  But maybe that's just me.  I'm as forgiving as the next guy, but I'm just over Herman.  I'm actually dreading Saturday, and I haven't said that about one in October in quite a while.

PJ Fleck is a 50/50 guy. He could be great here. He could suck. If he's the guy at some point, that's fine. He's at least proven he can coach at the Power 5 level. But my priority is making Urban tell you no more than once. After a full campaign to get Urban and you've exhausted all the options with him, you move on with a proper search, for once. 

Edited by mdmost
For clarity.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, UncleBuck said:

Doesn't matter if he turns out or not, that's the national consensus. That looks terribad when you lose the commitment, number 1. Number 2: other top athletes are going to want to follow a generational talent, perceived or not.  

That and Ewers grew up a Longhorn fan.

Its like that Jerry McGuire speech where he loses the number one pick the night before the draft. We are cloaked in failure. No CR Lol.

A decade of shit has taken a toll. If Urban says no, again the money is there and then some, or we don’t offer—-any new hire is gonna have a difficult time. Period. This person, if not Meyer, will have to be a proven developer of talent and will have to be able to win/have results on the field to regain status with future recruits.

they aren’t falling for our banana in the tail pipe smokescreen anymore.

Losing a consensus generational talent is really bad. When that talent happens to be a Longhorn fan from childhood it’s beyond bad. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That and Ewers grew up a Longhorn fan.

Its like that Jerry McGuire speech where he loses the number one pick the night before the draft. We are cloaked in failure. No CR Lol.

A decade of shit has taken a toll. If Urban says no, again the money is there and then some, or we don’t offer—-any new hire is gonna have a difficult time. Period. This person, if not Meyer, will have to be a proven developer of talent and will have to be able to win/have results on the field to regain status with future recruits.

they aren’t falling for our banana in the tail pipe smokescreen anymore.

Losing a consensus generational talent is really bad. When that talent happens to be a Longhorn fan from childhood it’s beyond bad. 

Correct.  Just about any other new hire, save Damo/Saban/NFL guy, Franlkin, Fleck, Campbell will be positioned as "he is probably better than Herman, but not enough to turn the tide."  Good thing is this conference is so shitty that things can change in a hurry. 

Nahlin's post has me worried about Urban.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

It hadn’t occurred to me that Urban and Ohio State actually blame Herman (and perhaps by extension, the UT administration) for blowing up the Zach Smith deal in the media which led to Urban’s removal.  If he has convinced himself the UT administration is also on his shit list for somehow backing Herman, then that is kind of thing that actually could cause him to jerk us around. So, we’ve got that going for us, which is nice.

Regardless, Herman should have been fired after OU, and he should still be fired as soon as possible.  The Big 12 is still comprised of shitty teams without many NFL prospects.  He won’t win out, but he could easily string together a few wins.  If the idea is that he has to lose more before we make our move, that may very well prolong this too much and sink recruiting more than necessary.  

We need clarity that the team will be going in a new direction, sooner rather than later, and even if the replacement isn’t lined up yet.  Uncertainty with an amorphous idea of hope and change is still a lot more enticing than continuing with the known failure.  

I think at this point we just have to accept that it is sunk until a new coach is hired.  Even if Tom is fired post-OSU I wouldn't expect a replacement (even Urban) to be named until the season is over.  2021 is lost - now we build towards transfers in 2021 and  the 2022 class.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm meaning, you make the best effort to get him multiple times. If he tells you no more than once, only then move on to the next guy and start the proper search. 

I know, I'm kidding.  Mostly I'm at the point where either Urban says yes or I really don't give a fuck.  It's option 1 or fuck all of this.

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think at this point we just have to accept that it is sunk until a new coach is hired.  Even if Tom is fired post-OSU I wouldn't expect a replacement (even Urban) to be named until the season is over.  2021 is lost - now we build towards transfers in 2021 and  the 2022 class.

Turn those machines back on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

I know, I'm kidding.  Mostly I'm at the point where either Urban says yes or I really don't give a fuck.  It's option 1 or fuck all of this.

Yep.  At this point, if we can't go big, let's just pack it up and go home.  It's going to be like this for another 10 or 15 years if we don't get a proven power 5 coach.  We're wandering the desert at this point and need to find an oasis.

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

I’m not terribly worried if Ewers and Co commit to tOSU.

Yeah, why would it be a big deal if we lost the #1 recruit at the most important position and that started a mass exodus from that entire recruiting class and a bunch of them went to 1 of the 3 schools that are already head and shoulders ahead of us and everyone else all the time?

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Nahlin's post has me worried about Urban.

It kinda did at first, but thinking about it a bit, if Urb was a done deal we'd have heard a lot more by now, so obviously I'm not surprised by the comment... 

...and if it were a long shot, I think he'd have been a bit more negative. A lot of these guys would be. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

2021 recruiting may be shot but with the one time transfer option this offseason, you can cobble together enough pieces to field a good team next year. 

My worry is Urban doesn't want to tarnish his record by coming in 2021, like he'll let another guy fall on the sword first.  But maybe he can work some magic in the portal and again, this is a crap conference.

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

PJ Fleck is a 50/50 guy. He could be great here. He could suck. If he's the guy at some point, that's fine. He's at least proven he can coach at the Power 5 level. But my priority is making Urban tell you no more than once. After a full campaign to get Urban and you've exhausted all the options with him, you move on with a proper search, for once. 

Yeah, Fleck is a guy I think I underrate. He'd recruit better than Tom and hire a better staff. But all in on Urban until he's physically incapable of coaching.

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

Yep.  At this point, if we can't go big, let's just pack it up and go home.  It's going to be like this for another 10 or 15 years if we don't get a proven power 5 coach.  We're wandering the desert at this point and need to find an oasis.

If we don't get Urban - at the very least we need to hire someone with significant Head Coach experience.  Charlie had 4 years of experience and Herman had two - that is just not enough time to determine if they can actually do the job at this level - and we shouldn't be the place where a coach learns how to be a Head Coach.

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

My worry is Urban doesn't want to tarnish his record by coming in 2021, like he'll let another guy fall on the sword first.  But maybe he can work some magic in the portal and again, this is a crap conference.

I doubt most coaches look at our roster and think winning the Big 12 is impossible. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

I’m not terribly worried if Ewers and Co commit to tOSU.  Herman is gone, Urban is on deck.  And Urban will pull some of his staff from tOSU, those guys have loyalty to him.  That gives us a chance to get them all back by signing day 2022.  And you’re crazy if you don’t think an Urban hire changes the recruiting landscape drastically and immediately, even in the 21 class.  Hell, Bowman is still out there uncommitted, playing the long game of wait and see.

If we lose a close one in Stillwater, Herman is done on Sunday.  If we get shellacked, he’s gone Saturday night.  CDC is a smart man, make no mistake about that.  He could not afford to be reactionary up until this point, because it’s sets a bad precedent for the future.  But now he wouldn’t be reactionary...recruits and their families are sending a clear message, not just fans.  When the team is officially eliminated from title game contention, this shitastic Herman era is over.

Regarding staff...Urbs keeps Yurcich and Drayton on offense, Ash, Vilai and Hutzler on defense.  He pulls the rest from tOSU, and hopefully leaves a spot to cherry-pick someone from the SMU staff since honestly they are locking down DFW right now.  Urban can’t be announced right away, but Yurcich and Ash can sure as shit get on the phone Sunday afternoon and start locking recruits in with the future of the program under an Urban Meyer regime.

I'll have what he's having.

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

2021 recruiting may be shot but with the one time transfer option this offseason, you can cobble together enough pieces to field a good team next year. 

Exactly.  If Urban wants the Texas job (and I'm not sure that he does), now is the time.  There's talent already on the roster, he can add more via transfers, and he can surely hire some coordinators that aren't idiots.  Plus he knows he can go 9-3 and we're content, 10-2 and we're happy, and there are what, maybe 4 challenging games next season for a coach who isn't a god damned idiot?  It's a perfect situation for him.  No pressure at all until 2022.

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, why would it be a big deal if we lost the #1 recruit at the most important position and that started a mass exodus from that entire recruiting class and a bunch of them went to 1 of the 3 schools that are already head and shoulders ahead of us and everyone else all the time?

You must be reading impaired or too lazy to read the rest of that paragraph/post.

To add two cents on Ewers as somebody who lives next door to Southlake.  I think that by far the primary reason to de-commit has to do with what he believes is in his best interest from an on the field football perspective.  There is little doubt that if you put yourself in his position, watch what is being routinely thrown out there that you would think to yourself "is this really the place for me to make sure I get the coaching and development to take it to the next level?"  That said I would not undersell some of the other shit swirling around the program that Tom has completely mismanaged being a secondary factor. 

It's right there in his tweet.  "Recently as I have competed alongside my teammates during my junior season at Southlake Carroll, I've also taken some time to think about my future.  Kids who grow up in Southlake with dreams of going on to star for Carroll are unified from a very young age.  You play football when you are a 5th grader, your team is the Dragons.  You run (or attempt to run) the same fucking offense that Riley runs.  That only deepens as you go to middle school.  The community gives you rabid support (and yes that comes along with toxic fans). You get to high school and do shit like dye your hair blonde for every playoff run (silly sure, but it's the culture and they all buy in).  Any time there is community dissension it is dealt with swiftly.

So you are Ewers (or his parents) and you start really looking at some of the mismanaged shit they have seen going on down in Austin (pick your issue....EOT, players quitting, whatever) and you compare that to the environment you currently reside in and your "is this really the place for me development wise?" doubt question becomes a exclamatory  "why the fuck would I go play for a college that is more of a mismanaged on field AND off field shit show of a program than my high school" revelation.

Fuck you Tom...and the clock is ticking on you CDC

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If we don't get Urban - at the very least we need to hire someone with significant Head Coach experience.  Charlie had 4 years of experience and Herman had two - that is just not enough time to determine if they can actually do the job at this level - and we shouldn't be the place where a coach learns how to be a Head Coach.

You need to throw in the caveat, at lower tier programs outside the power 5. Of the two, Charlie had the far better sustained resume and we saw how that turned out. Power 5 conference coaching experience has to be the minimum. Look at how Arkansas has improved in one year under Sam Pittman. Will they be world beaters, unclear. But he took an utter bucket of crap and is doing much better than Chad Morris. And he was an assistant with multiple SEC programs for over 8 years. 

Ohio State coming in and poaching multiple Texas recruits is another problem you don't need when you're already losing top talent to SEC programs that put guys in the NFL while your recruits barely develop and are 2nd and 3rd day NFL Draft guys, if that. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Burton calling for his firing again...mid season firing now

Spoiler

For those of you who might think a decommitment from a high school junior won’t register with some influential folks at Texas, you should think again.

Major Texas boosters and specific high-ranking administrators follow the recruiting efforts of the Longhorns.

Quinn Ewers’ decommitment is yet further proof that something is amiss within the Texas football program, especially considering it comes just a month after the original pledge.

It’s another sign that things aren’t going in the right direction, as if the donors and administrators needed more proof following a bizarre four-game conference stretch where the Horns have been so inconsistent, it’s hard to even know what to expect every Saturday other than inconsistency. Heck, the Horns can’t be consistent for an entire half, much less an entire game.

The loss of Ewers is devastating to the prospects of the 2022 recruiting class, much less finishing out the 2021 class. The admin at Texas needs to consider pulling the plug on Tom Herman sooner rather than later. Waiting until after the season only prolongs the inevitable, and perhaps clouds the decision of some key recruits too late in the process. The sooner a decision has been made, the more likely players like Ewers, who grow up fans of the Longhorns, will give Texas a chance to hire and implement a successor before making a final college decision.

In other words, Texas should not wait. If Herman and his team lay an egg in Stillwater, the call should be made because it needs to be made otherwise recruiting will continue to tail off.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

No way Herman is fired during the season. It simply is not happening. Even if Okie Lite mudholes us. 

I once thought as you. However, what good is there for letting Herman remain in a situation like Charlie had where week in and week out, there is the constant questioning of can he keep his job? What good is there in having the players constantly asked if they're playing for their coach's job? You won't have a chance to compete for the Big 12 title. So all that's left is getting to another mediocre bowl in a year where everyone will go to a mediocre bowl. Beat oSu and you have more of a say in your destiny. Lose, even if close, you don't. Oh and that would be 1-4 against Gundy. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

One thing that continues to befuddle me is the UTEP game.  Lord knows we have fielded some meadoker teams that couldn't decisively beat a team like UTEP in non-con.

And, while I get that UTEP is not solid competition in any way, shape, or form, we didn't make tons of stupid penalties and other things that are indicative of the rest of the season so far.  Maybe they were disguised by our athleticism or something.  I guess UTEP was a team we could, in fact, impose our will upon.  

Unlike Maryland (x2), Tulsa, etc. 

Maybe that victory caused Tom to go into a self-congratulatory mode that set us up for the rest of the season.

Weird, wild, wacky stuff.

TFB
Super K made a post this morning regarding the smoke coming from Ohio State’s camp. While true, Texas will not be completely out of the running for Ewers, everything is dependent upon how Texas finishes the season and/or who will be coaching next season.
No no no no noooooo..false hope is a dangerous thing.

At this point if cdc doesnt shitcan Herman before the season is over, nothing short of backdooring into the CFB playoffs and winning the whole fuckin thing will salvage a decent recruiting class. If corch Irving Meyers agrees (and our people can overlook indiscretions at Gata) to wear burnt orange and retain Yurcich...thats our best shot at getting Ewers back.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas