Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Mack Brown did it. He didn't seem hurt by it.

But even if Herman isn't that guy, he might just stop giving very many fucks about the program when it is obvious he is dead man walking. We cannot afford to have somebody with no shits to give in a position like this for long.

Entirely different situation. Mack was old, accomplished, wanted credit (more than he already got) for what he built, and stupidly thought that he earned the right to pick when he left. He was legitimately butt hurt and spiteful to be removed from his program. Herman is still in his coaching prime and has accomplished very little (comparatively). He doesn't have the credentials to throw a hissy fit if he wants another high profile gig.

Agree with your 2nd paragraph though. If the decision has already been made at a high level--and Herman has caught wind of that--there's no point keeping a lame duck coach around that probably won't be working 18 hour days just out of respect for the program.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Entirely different situation. Mack was old, accomplished, wanted credit (more than he already got) for what he built, and stupidly thought that he earned the right to pick when he left. He was legitimately butt hurt and spiteful to be removed from his program. Herman is still in his coaching prime and has accomplished very little (comparatively). He doesn't have the credentials to throw a hissy fit if he wants another high profile gig.

Agree with your 2nd paragraph though. If the decision has already been made at a high level--and Herman has caught wind of that--there's no point keeping a lame duck coach around that probably won't be working 18 hour days just out of respect for the program.

You think herman knows that?

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I just posted in that thread that I bumped into a buddy today who has some sort of connection to an assistant on Dodge's SLC staff. This guy apparently said Ewers de-committing is 100% because he doesn't want to play for Herman.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 4

Rumors like these always crack me up. They're fun message board fodder, but they lack any grounding in common sense.
Tom Herman seems to be a pretty arrogant asshole; until they're drawing up his severance package, I'm sure he believes that he can still turn it around. He knows he might never get a job as prominent as Texas HC again.
If that doesn't happen, he's making over $5M a season and wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize his golden parachute buyout if/when he gets fired.
Tom Herman presumably wants to continue working in a profession that can pay him millions of dollars a year. Being a professional is an expected part of the job.
He gains absolutely nothing by burning it down on his way out.

Man, if I had a dollar for all the assholes making millions who did something stupid and jeopardized it. I’d be a rich asshole. Point being that when you are an asshole, money is no barrier.

Not saying he did it, but he wouldn’t let the money stop him.

I don’t believe Shaw beats a good blOwU team consistently but I’ve gone down some rabbit holes with buddies discussing how many times Mack lost to stoops and still could have won the big 12 if he doesn’t shit the bed against k-state, ok state etc etc. It’s mind numbing honestly. If our next hire puts out teams who play sound football and we win 10 games I’ll be ecstatic. 

5 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

A Dark Winter is coming.

You seem to be a poet: 

The Road Not Taken 

Launch Audio in a New Window
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

UT has taken the road of stupidity and unhinged long lost pride the last decade. if we haven’t offered for Urban (since the money is there I’ve been told) we are stupid. Period. The fucking money is there. 

I think you have to make a love regardless of winning or losing this weekend. This many recruits jumping ship and top targets crossing us off the list. 

Definitely make love tonight and this weekend, too. Regardless of what happens on the football field. Love makes the world go round or makes you sleepy.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

THis is the greatest recruiting meltdown I have ever seen, from any school in any year.  So we have that going for us.

Yup,  I follow recruiting religiously.  This is one of the worst meltdowns from a recruiting standpoint.  I’m not sure how we convince these kids to jump back on board and convince other talented players to give us a look.  As a parent, I 100% wouldn’t want my kid to play for this coach and this athletic department.  The only thing we have proven is that we waste talent, and keep horrible coaches in charge longer than they should.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Also posted in the recruiting thread but here is an Elling clarification:

The head coach at Texas "Dissed the kid's ability in a roundabout way" of the number one overall recruit in the nation for 2022???

The same one that we have seen videos of dropping dimes at 50 and 60 yards at a time????

This guy needs help and I am not kidding.  Can we get the Surly lawyers to examine the contract for with cause based on losing his mental faculties?

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Gundy is gonna fuck this up isn’t he?

When has Gundy won out? To be fair this is the best defense they have ever had and Hubbard is legit and the QB is finally healthy. I still can’t root for us to lose ever. But if he manages to finally pull it off I will root for OSU to win out. I just doubt he can

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

I don't think any program has ever seen this kind of dumpster fire before, the future of the program is literally being destroyed right in front of our eyes over the course of a few days.

Herbstreit was right it looks like.... fucking cesspool.  If we’re going to suck, let’s atleast stop paying our athletic director and coaches top 5 salaries.  If I’m going to watch a shit product, I’ll do so with a HEB coupon for $10 tickets to games.  These guys are stealing money from alums and this school and are absolutely horrible at their jobs.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Goddamnit. Fire this dumbfuck.

The Herman supporters are awfully, awfully quiet.

there's like two on twitter who are still blaming fans for being toxic..  Even fancyboots the longhorn woman has cooled down a bit

Edited by Thiefery

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas