Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

14 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

What? The offense scored 10 points. One TD on a great effort catch by Johnson on a bad throw and a FG. He didn't lead 4 scoring drives. 

The other points were by the defense and special teams. 

He led 4 drives out of 8 that field position indicates should be a scoring drive. Taking a knee and missing FG's are outside his control. Shitty passes aren't and we should have had more success obviously. However, he didn't play any better or worse yesterday than he had the 3 prior weeks. 

Edited by Hook'Em0608

14 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

If your only chance of winning with this QB is if your defense can dominate the opposing offense to the tune of giving up less than 20 points to offenses that regularly put up 30+ then I'd say no. Although the alternatives may be just as bad as Ehlinger so it may not even matter, but by not giving them game time to find out we just don't know. 

The line has been plus in pass pro and good in run game. Ingram averaged 6.8 per carry but only got 10 carries for some stupid reason. LJH is one of the best/ most talented receivers in the conference. So is Johnson. There's zero excuse for an offense this inept. 

OK, you reframed the question or didn't understand.  I'll rephrased it.  Should Sam be the starting QB or would you rather have Shane or one of the true freshman.  This is a question that doesn't require talking about the defense to answer.

Edited by Lhorn

I sure as hell would not have predicted 4-1 after Maryland.  8-4 sounds about right with a chance for more.  Sam not turning the ball over has been huge.  He is clearly inaccurate but has been managing the game better.  The defense will keep us in all our remaining games.  Sam must continue to manage the game and we need to clean up the penalties for success.  This is turning into a quality season and we are making strides to becoming a high quality team.  We still have long road filled with bumps, but we are going in the right direction.
If not turning the ball over means Sam throws it where only a certified circus acrobat freak of nature can catch the damn thing, (even if the reciever is wide fucking open) not sure it's such a good thing.

5 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

OK, you reframed the question or didn't understand.  I'll rephrased it.  Should Sam be the starting QB or would you rather have Shane or one of the true freshman.  This is a question that doesn't require talking about the defense to answer.

No, I understood completely. I said if yoir offense and QB are so bad you have to rely on superhuman domination efforts by your defense against anyone with a good offense to win then no that QB is not the best option. 

5 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

No, I understood completely. I said if yoir offense and QB are so bad you have to rely on superhuman domination efforts by your defense against anyone with a good offense to win then no that QB is not the best option. 

Ok, so you are not in favor of Sam.  Who do you chose?

It's an odd stance to take after reeling off 4 wins, two against ranked teams and one in Manhattan where we haven't won since some of our players were sucking from their mom's tit, but you are calling for a change in QB.  Anyone else?

Edited by Lhorn

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

That may be the most Aggy thing ever said or written. 

Hey, it's the other stupid ass thing about Texas fans. I can't refute what you are saying, so I'll call it aggy. That'll get me an internet win! Sam put the team in position to score in half our drives, That's a fact. 

1st drive 11 plays 37 yds punt

2nd drive 11 plays 89 yds TD

3rd drive 13 plays 53 yds FG

4th drive 3 plays -13 yds punt

5th drive 4 plays 23 yds punt

6th drive 11 plays 57 yds missed FG

7th drive 6 plays 28 yds punt

8th drive 10 plays 36 yds End of Game

Nothing spectacular by any means considering the opponent, but for context, the 2016 Atlanta Falcons scored on 52 percent of their drives. An all time NFL offense. It was a typical mediocre Texas offensive day. 

It's an odd stance to take after reeling off 4 wins, two against ranked teams and one in Manhattan where we haven't won since some of our players were sucking from their mom's tit, but you are calling for a change in QB.  Anyone else?
Anyone calling for a QB change is a regard, functional or otherwise. However I share the concern that without our upperclassmen Wr's (CJ, DevDuv) making circus catches, another upperclassmen WR doing great with the YAC, (LJH) offensive line playing serviceable, and defense bending but not breaking at key moments...this season goes a lot differently than it has so far.

People like myself can see this team has the talent for a conference championship and maybe beyond...just not sure Sam is the bus driver to take us there, but it is what it is, it are what it be. Sam is the best option at QB this year, it's just maddening to think what we could do with a competent QB, you know...the kind of QB other teams in this conference seem to have every gotdam year. Having said that, I'll gladly eat crow if Sam turns out to be that sort of QB..
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

At this point no you can't change but if anyone remembers I was 100% advocating getting Shane and Rising/Thompson some burn in the Tulsa game for just this reason. I'm damn happy for the 3 good wins but those were against offenses our defense was able to dominate. OU hasn't played anyone yet this season but it's not a stretch to say this is the best offense we will have faced this season and probably by a wide margin, and it would be nice to have another path to victory other than sheer hope our defense plays such dominate football OU doesn't hit 20 points. 

Although it's a rivalry game so weird things tend to happen. Maybe we get 14 points on defense and special teams and the offense manages another 14. It's just a very very slim margin for error when you have such an inept offense, and knowing the pieces around the QB are set up for a very good offense if only the QB wasnt horrible is so damn frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

The Tulsa game we came a few missed FGs short of losing?

Yes, the game that was 21-0 at half but the offense fell apart after the first quarter and had long long stretches of inefficiency due to a poor QB. Just like every other game this season. 

I would have gotten Shane in early at the least. The problem is Herman, like a lot of coaches not named Saban, are too emotionally involved in the team they are unable to step back and take an objective look at their situation. He decided Ehlinger can be more than a poor man's version of a bus driver and anyone remotely objective paying attention sees that isn't going to happen. 

We're seeing peak Ehlinger now I'm aftraid. Make a couple of plays, miss a ton, hopefully not turn the ball over and hopefully the defense keeps us ahead in the 4th so no comeback is needed. 

2 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

So, for context, Sam gets an award (weekly thing) from the Davey O'Brien people. His QB rating is sixth in the conference at 139.7. Colt's career rating was 155, by comparison. The soon to be ded Chipmunk currently has a rating of 231 with an average of just under 14ypa.

Here are a certain poster's comments about Sam.

qI didn't find the quotes about "I Am Sam" and "functional retard".

And for the final piece de resistance:

Look, I don't love or hate his game. He's obviously got bigly room for improvement. But he's also gotten a lot better, is "pretty accurate" (this set off a bunch of people, but I stand by that bold statement), got an award, and the knuckle dragging announcers were comparing him to Tebow. Oh and he's winning games, which was CTJ's complaint, that he is a loser with the game on the line.

Sam has literally done none of those things CTJ predicted, and CTJ maintains that his opinion hasn't changed. But the facts have. The dude is winning games and getting (minor) awards. CTJ predicted 3 INT's, Sam threw ZERO. CTJ should admit he was wrong, because he was. And is. He is being completely unreasonable. When the facts change, you should change your mind. 

Sam is a competent game manager. 

Between CTJ and Derka talking about slurping Sam's weiner, this thread is Derka'd all to hell. Why does everyone act like third grade girls here?

When I called him a loser, which you’ve manipulated here by not doing the quote mech properly which would then render the date and time stamp, it was immediately after the Maryland game. This kind of tactic you deployed here was bullshit, yellow posting behavior when people were first deploying it on boards in the ‘90’s. I didn’t realize that it was still a thing. 

Ehlinger did everything he could to cost us that fucking game, and he did. He also did it that exact same way all last year. You fail to address timing on a thread that spans 5 games and 30 days. It’s your choice to act like a cunt and to deliver masterful takes like “Sam is really accurate, guys” when the facts stare at us differently, but it’s not on the rest of us to take you seriously when you do it. 

You guys that bleed out on here for this average player are a boring lot. You don’t have much to work with, just like the other offensive players when working with Mehlinger, so you resort to fantasy and ethereal shit like grit and moxie. Right. 

I sure as shit hope you guys get to come on here and do more of the same bizarre crowing next Sunday. Sam Ehlinger is like a pet raccoon when he’s on the field. Whatever he doesn’t fuck up or eat, he shits on. If Texas beats OU next week, I don’t care how much chestbeating you guys want to do. I’ll take the win and live with the knowledge that in all likelihood the V happened in spite of I Am Sam’s yeoman-like toiling in mediocrity. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 9

41 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Really like Sam as a person and loyal Horn.

But have strong concerns about his mental capacity at an elite D1 level.

Saturday will tell us A LOT.

This is where I am.  He needs this game as much as anyone.  He could grow a lot in minds and hearts with a solid performance.    I'm not confident but I'm hopeful. 

3 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

This is where I am.  He needs this game as much as anyone.  He could grow a lot in minds and hearts with a solid performance.    I'm not confident but I'm hopeful. 

He did run roughshod over the sisterfuckers last year so it's certainly possible.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ousux said:

Anyone calling for a QB change is a regard, functional or otherwise. However I share the concern that without our upperclassmen Wr's (CJ, DevDuv) making circus catches, another upperclassmen WR doing great with the YAC, (LJH) offensive line playing serviceable, and defense bending but not breaking at key moments...this season goes a lot differently than it has so far.

People like myself can see this team has the talent for a conference championship and maybe beyond...just not sure Sam is the bus driver to take us there, but it is what it is, it are what it be. Sam is the best option at QB this year, it's just maddening to think what we could do with a competent QB, you know...the kind of QB other teams in this conference seem to have every gotdam year. Having said that, I'll gladly eat crow if Sam turns out to be that sort of QB..

this is pretty much where i am with sam right now.  i really think he has gotten better in the past 2 weeks.  he's late on reads, lacks touch and 1 of every 5 throws goes rogue.

but peter gardere wasn't all-world either.

Yes, the game that was 21-0 at half but the offense fell apart after the first quarter and had long long stretches of inefficiency due to a poor QB. Just like every other game this season. 
I would have gotten Shane in early at the least. The problem is Herman, like a lot of coaches not named Saban, are too emotionally involved in the team they are unable to step back and take an objective look at their situation. He decided Ehlinger can be more than a poor man's version of a bus driver and anyone remotely objective paying attention sees that isn't going to happen. 
We're seeing peak Ehlinger now I'm aftraid. Make a couple of plays, miss a ton, hopefully not turn the ball over and hopefully the defense keeps us ahead in the 4th so no comeback is needed. 

Why the fuck would you put Shane in when we were leading 21-0 at the half? What possible purpose would that serve?

When I called him a loser, which you’ve manipulated here by not doing the quote mech properly which would then render the date and time stamp, it was immediately after the Maryland game. This kind of tactic you deployed here was bullshit, yellow posting behavior when people were first deploying it on boards in the ‘90’s. I didn’t realize that it was still a thing. 
Ehlinger did everything he could to cost us that fucking game, and he did. He also did it that exact same way all last year. You fail to address timing on a thread that spans 5 games and 30 days. It’s your choice to act like a cunt and to deliver masterful takes like “Sam is really accurate, guys” when the facts stare at us differently, but it’s not on the rest of us to take you seriously when you do it. 
You guys that bleed out on here for this average player are a boring lot. You don’t have much to work with, just like the other offensive players when working with Mehlinger, so you resort to fantasy and ethereal shit like grit and moxie. Right. 
I sure as shit hope you guys get to come on here and do more of the same bizarre crowing next Sunday. Sam Ehlinger is like a pet raccoon when he’s on the field. Whatever he doesn’t fuck up or eat, he shits on. If Texas beats OU next week, I don’t care how much chestbeating you guys want to do. I’ll take the win and live with the knowledge that in all likelihood the V happened in spite of I Am Sam’s yeoman-like toiling in mediocrity. 

So who in the fuck should Texas be playing right now at QB?

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

Why the fuck would you put Shane in when we were leading 21-0 at the half? What possible purpose would that serve?

I would have started him not put him in up 21. That's why I said early. 

If he's even the same as 2016 with the better protection and weapons of this team we would probably have had at least 21 to 28 at half and scored more than 40 total in that game. 

I would have started him not put him in up 21. That's why I said early. 
If he's even the same as 2016 with the better protection and weapons of this team we would probably have had at least 21 to 28 at half and scored more than 40 total in that game. 

Shane is a sack machine with a weak arm, if he was better than Sam he would be starting. I’m thinking Rising will be our next great QB but right now Sam is the best chance to win games despite his limitations
  • Like 2

Shane will not play unless Sam gets injured. They are trying to redshirt him then transfer. So why are you even entertaining the “what if”? There is no QB controversy. Besides, the Tom Herman offense uses the QB as a battering ram. Shane is not built for that. This season it’s Sam. That’s it. His accuracy is pretty bad. Hopefully next Saturday he has zero picks. Play good defense, don’t cough up the ball, minimize penalties, win the turnover battle, make a couple of big plays on special teams, find the WR on a couple of long passes, get a couple of lucky bounces, and they can beat OUsucks.

• Like 2

All indications were he outplayed Ehlinger during camp even to the point most media were convinced he was going to win the job. 
He hasn't had a chance to play behind a real line. Ehlinger behind that 2016 line doesn't survive the season without massive concussion issues. 

All indications by what, your magic eight ball? If he was better he would be starting. They aren’t going to start a worse QB just for the fun of it.

Shane has had his chance and he did nothing with it, he can’t run, has a weak arm and gets sacked all the time. At least Sam can move the chains with his legs, that’s why he is starting.

Neither QB is very good but again Shane gives us the best chance until the young ones get some experience.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hey look!  Another post where resident genius ctj uses “Mehlinger” and “I Am Sam” for the eleventh time apiece. 

Only things missing were “Hermeh” and “Westlake honks”. But still, what wit!

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Watched the 2014 game today, how many guys on our offense could start on that team?

How many legit NFL players to we have on offense?

You’re being histrionic.  I’d take Duve, CJ and LJ over Case’s wideouts.  Malcolm Brown edges Ingram for sure, but Ingram is only a freshman.  He seems to have Brown’s vision but more burst.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

In 8 drives, Sam led 4 that were scoring drives. One miss FG and another kneel down to close it out in scoring position aren't his fault. He is a mediocre passer, he has a history of bad decision making, and I admit I wanted Shane to start after Maryland. But he's played better football the last 4 weeks than at any point in his career. It's a weird time for this thread to take off like it has. Just shows how bad people really really want to be right on the internet. Both sides of the argument have gone off the rails with hyperbole, per usual. Which is why I love this website. It's not a negative, it's entertaining. 

poppycock.  his performance is inconsistent. 

credit where credit is due:  he showed accuracy vs TCU.  also credit due:  TX defense for winning the games vs USC and KSU. 

despite the 80% completion rate - most of which were due to backfield throws - he's shown better overall performances (even in Losses!) last year vs KSU, OU, WVU, etc.

most wouldnt stake their ego over their fandom.  i'd rather TX win at all costs.  the problem is, the chances of TX winning vs high caliber team hinges on the high risk that Bad Sam shows up in uniform.

• Like 2

The Duvernay ball and the out route to Johnson were bad misses. Sam will get better. I bet he will hit a deep ball or two this week. I’m giving him more credit than most on here. I remember Ash had accuracies problems on deep balls, he connected on a few in the Ole miss game and after that he seemed to have improvement. We will win games BECAUSE  of Sam not despite him. Herman needs to open up the playbook and let it rip this week though. 15 play drives aren’t going to get it done. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Posting_Tip_dumb.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I'll just leave this here....

Sam

108 - 167

9 TD's

2 Picks

1185 Yards

237 YPG

And it’s the complete lack of running stats for a running QB that have most worried. Not the average passing numbers. 

He supposedly won the job because of his legs, if we can’t or won’t use them then we chose poorly 

right now he is like Heard as a QB. Defenses know that we can’t beat them outside or over the top, so the crowd the box and tackle the short passes and limit the run. We have to execute long drives and need multiple broken tackles for explosive plays. Regression. 

Find the QB running game 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And it’s the complete lack of running stats for a running QB that have most worried. Not the average passing numbers. 

He supposedly won the job because of his legs, if we can’t or won’t use them then we chose poorly 

I agree that he should run more and they should call more zone read type plays.

15 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

right now he is like Heard as a QB. Defenses know that we can’t beat them outside or over the top, so the crowd the box and tackle the short passes and limit the run. We have to execute long drives and need multiple broken tackles for explosive plays. Regression. 

Find the QB running game 

How many times has Sam moved the chains with his feet? He’s not Going to run for 100 yards a game... but he will pick up first downs and scramble from time to time. Hes not electric by any means but he doesn’t have to be. I would like more designed QB runs though. 

18 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Find the QB running game 

The threat of a run is valuable too. If we run Sam too much and he gets hurt, like he did last year, we lose that threat.

They will use his called runs when we need it most.

He's also more of a chain-moving runner than a game-breaking runner.