Official "Fuck this stupid ass-commercial" thread

Prepuce of Doom

WTF is an element TV?

There’s a ton of “off brand” smart TV’s with great picture and prices these days. Since they’re all only good for about 5 years before they either go out or the tech is outdated you’d be a chump to pay top dollar for a brand that was considered elite 15-20 years ago.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

There’s a ton of “off brand” smart TV’s with great picture and prices these days. Since they’re all only good for about 5 years before they either go out or the tech is outdated you’d be a chump to pay top dollar for a brand that was considered elite 15-20 years ago.

yeah, this. my tv is ~48", i can't exactly remember, and it cost $220 at walmart. i've had it for 2+ years now. one of the most cost effective purchases i've made. 

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

Our backup TV is of model "Proscan."  I bought it about 10 years ago because I couldn't believe how cheap it was.  When I bought it I thought, "If this thing even lasts two years, I got a good deal."

I've been told there are only 3 screen manufacturers. They crank out the same product, just switch labels as orders come in. Just like Simply Orange suddenly becomes HEB Select. I have 2 Sceptre 4K and they were on Black Friday sale 2 years ago. Think I paid around $500 for 2 57" sets from Amazon. Great picture.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

Fuck. That's a horrible ad. The normalization of fatasses. She could lower her A1C by not outweighing a small car. Ever thought of that? 

I know people don't like fat shaming but the bottom line is that Americans a fucking healthcare diasters.

• Hook 'Em 2

I hate the commercial, but have to admit I'm intrigued. We have our grease traps pumped once a month by big vacuum tankers at work at the smell is beyond nauseating. I can control it somewhat in my office with Febreze, but wonder if this stuff would stop the problem at the source.

The AT&T Great Estimations commercial has always been terrible, but running it during every commercial break of every NHL game has vaulted it to new levels of hatred for me.  

I literally either change the channel or mute it when it comes on, and I can't say that about any other commercials in recent years

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Streaming commercials. I hate when I can’t FF thru a streamed commercial, but more irritating is the common occurrence of there just being one or two commercials that get played repeatedly over and over.

Freaking Pharma ones are the worst.  I don't have plaque psoriasis or the HIV, thanks.

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Streaming commercials. I hate when I can’t FF thru a streamed commercial, but more irritating is the common occurrence of there just being one or two commercials that get played repeatedly over and over.

Why I quit doing Fullcourt when ESPN was offering it... Commercial break? Switch to another game and then the same GD commercial comes on and so on and so on, etc...  Of course, you get that same shit during MM when flipping between games. 

Edited by Underdog

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

they're letting some of them have darker skin now:

IMG_2466.thumb.jpeg.c274f6f913fa3078a33594a1c03dd452.jpeg

#progress

Baby steps.  If they try to diversify too quickly they go to the opposite extreme, like the Gatorade or Fitbit commercials with the 300+ lb heifers doing yoga or surfing.  I prefer the ladies in your posting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

The daughter and Dad pretending to have an argument ad makes me vomick.

Pharma ads should be banned for literally polluting the stramverse, stressing out people who don’t make health care choices from fucking TV ads in in which disclaimers are 70% of the content.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

All electricity commercials. I talk to people fretting about having to make a choice. “I really like that Reliant electricity! Should I switch?” Uhh it’s not how this works. There is no difference in the electrons flowing into your house. “What do you mean?”

On 5/20/2023 at 3:50 PM, Bama Llama said:

The daughter and Dad pretending to have an argument ad makes me vomick.

Pharma ads should be banned for literally polluting the stramverse, stressing out people who don’t make health care choices from fucking TV ads in in which disclaimers are 70% of the content.

Don't take Fukitol if you are allergic to Fukitol. Side effects include explosive diarrhea, hair loss and death.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RPM said:

Don't take Fukitol if you are allergic to Fukitol. Side effects include explosive diarrhea, hair loss and death.

This along with ads for an extremely small subset of the population.  HIV Ads, I'm looking at you.  1,2000,000 people  or .36% of the U.S. population has HIV.    How is this efficient use of advertising dollars?  More people in the U.S. have Type 1 diabetes (1,300,000).  Almost 10% of the U.S. population has Type 2 diabetes.  And yes, there are plenty of commercials for diabetes meds but pharma spends a shit ton on ads for medications that very small cohorts of Americans have. 

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

This along with ads for an extremely small subset of the population.  HIV Ads, I'm looking at you.  1,2000,000 people  or .36% of the U.S. population has HIV.    How is this efficient use of advertising dollars?  More people in the U.S. have Type 1 diabetes (1,300,000).  Almost 10% of the U.S. population has Type 2 diabetes.  And yes, there are plenty of commercials for diabetes meds but pharma spends a shit ton on ads for medications that very small cohorts of Americans have. 

I get the same feeling when Northrop Grumman sponsors a bowl game. Are they expecting me to watch the game and then go buy a fighter jet? 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I get the same feeling when Northrop Grumman sponsors a bowl game. Are they expecting me to watch the game and then go buy a fighter jet? 

The bowl game is just an excuse to fly in some big cigar types, get them laid, slip them some cash and sign contracts.

Mad World - 1stDibs Introspective

With regards to the HIV and prep meds commercials I’ve noticed that in a time when advertisers go out of their ways to make the cast diverse to the point it’s silly, those HIV med commercials don’t mind relying on stereotypes.  If you are a gay black or Latino man, this medication is for YOU!!

• Hook 'Em 1