The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

He's describing how he would like the government to work. Fascists usually tell you exactly who they are and what they're doing before they do it 

This.  The GQP has proudly told you who they are, and how they want shit to work.  They are ready, willing, and able to take over the government by violence, and rule by some sort of half-assed fiat based on rules of their own making.  Authoritarianism, achieved via violence, is their goal.   Don't ask me -- listen to THEM.

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I can never tell what is worse:

• That the GOP is recruiting stupid parents to exploit in their attempts to destroy the public education they require for their children at the local level; or
  • That they allow themselves to be exploited, without realizing the above, and that the GOP will throw them away once they're done with the above. 

A legion of stupid people is the most valuable commodity in the world.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I can never tell what is worse:

• That the GOP is recruiting stupid parents to exploit in their attempts to destroy the public education they require for their children at the local level; or
  • That they allow themselves to be exploited, without realizing the above, and that the GOP will throw them away once they're done with the above. 

These people are all paid to do this shit. It's every bit as astroturfed as the tea party bullshit was back in 2010.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

14 hours ago, Pancho said:

Light Colonel is hard on many a dude. You should have gotten that bird, should have gotten that star, but some little SHIT put a passive-aggressive note in an OER...

Hope he gets back on the normal retired LTC track, and buys a pizza franchise where he screams at slacker-ass teens, because even though it won't do him any good, it will at least be amusing to watch them flinch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

That was crazy - he was about to go full Qanon there for a moment.  I half-expected him to namedrop Soros.

Throwing away your military career, benefits, spousal benefits, etc. to go full MAGA. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

These people are all paid to do this shit. It's every bit as astroturfed as the tea party bullshit was back in 2010.

Well, she did grow up in North County.  Got bounced as Miss California for same-sex marriage views . . . 

21 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Light Colonel is hard on many a dude. You should have gotten that bird, should have gotten that star, but some little SHIT put a passive-aggressive note in an OER...

Hope he gets back on the normal retired LTC track, and buys a pizza franchise where he screams at slacker-ass teens, because even though it won't do him any good, it will at least be amusing to watch them flinch.

he makes his employees call him Colonel, doesn't he? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yeah and his days are numbered anyway.  Can't get above LTC, he's being 'encouraged' to retire.

I always get a chuckle out of military experts on TV 'retired LTC Soandso.' MSM is as guilty of this as anyone.  My first thought is always 'couldn't get that full bird, huh?'

OTOH, full bird and above, typically get my respect, with a few notable exceptions of course.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Yeah and his days are numbered anyway.  Can't get above LTC, he's being 'encouraged' to retire.

I always get a chuckle out of military experts on TV 'retired LTC Soandso.' MSM is as guilty of this as anyone.  My first thought is always 'couldn't get that full bird, huh?'

OTOH, full bird and above, typically get my respect, with a few notable exceptions of course.

Always got a chuckle out of Oliver North.

With his Vietnam service and all of his upper-level government connections, and he still only made it to LTC.

33 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

So, question from a non-military guy.  Is Lt. Colonel just the rank where West Pointers go to die?  Is the same disrespect felt for retired Majors and Captains?

Edited by DigglerontheHoof

18 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So, question from a non-military guy.  Is Lt. Colonel just the rank where West Pointers go to die?  Is the same disrespect felt for retired Majors and Captains?

Colonel requires upward of 20 years in service, so they're generally past pension and going the distance.  LTC 16-20, and Major about 10.  So LTC is right in that sweet spot where "career" military with no further prospects qualify for the pension and tap out.  Major and below are frequently attained by those with no intention of going 20 years.

Also, I believe 20 years is not quite as "magical" as it once was, but historically the above is mostly true and LTC tends to be the terminal grade for many.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Always got a chuckle out of Oliver North.

With his Vietnam service and all of his upper-level government connections, and he still only made it to LTC.

I beat the rush and retired at 1st Lieutenant. And by "retired" maybe I don't quite mean "retired."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

If somebody has 20 years in at Captain, they almost certainly did a stretch as enlisted first, then went through OCS and became an officer later in life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Unless you luck into a civil war and make Brevet Brigadier General.

Yeah, but those guys usually end up dying later on because they seriously underestimated the number of hostiles over those hills in Montana.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

5 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I beat the rush and retired at 1st Lieutenant. And by "retired" maybe I don't quite mean "retired."

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

If somebody has 20 years in at Captain, they almost certainly did a stretch as enlisted first, then went through OCS and became an officer later in life.

Keep in mind, tying into RDC's joke about retiring, that plenty of people who are Captains/Majors did not actually retire, no matter what their book jacket or Fox News bio says, at least not in the traditional sense of getting a retirement party and collecting an actual pension.  I've seen people who made Captain, get out, and call themselves "retired" and it's like "you are in your late 20s or early 30s, you didn't retire from shit."

As RDC pointed out, most actual retired Majors/Captains were originally enlisted.  The Army/military requires you to be promoted on a regular basis, or you are out.  There are some Majors in highly-specialized positions (or academia) who can still be Major at 20, but it's rare.

And some guys who are LTC maybe could have made full bird if they had stayed in a few more years, but the military is unique in that it allows for you to put in 20 years and get a pension.  You get a lot of folks who go into the military with the intention of putting in 20 for the eventual pension and getting out and starting a second career in their early 40s.  And if you are one of those types who are going to put your 20 in and get out, and you get pegged as such, you can pretty much count on retiring as an LTC.

This is from a NY Times article from the 1980s (numbers these days appear classified), but it's probably still fairly close ratio-wise.

At last count the Army had 10,707 lieutenant colonels, but only 4,700 of them will be promoted to colonel to serve for five more years.

After that, a mere 200 colonels will ever make it to brigadier general. Once having reached brigadier general, however, about 140 will eventually become major generals. Beyond that, only a few will be selected for three- or four-star general.

The jump in responsibilities between LTC and Colonel is huge.  If you're 42 or 43 years old and a LTC and know you probably won't have a shot at Colonel (they go over your entire career, read every little comment from previous commanding officers going back to when you were in your early 20s, etc.), there's no point in trying to stay in.  

At 20 years, you get 50% of your base pay - 2.5% times each year of service.  If you know you won't advance, better to get out at 42 or 43 with a 50% pension, because you can make more money in the civilian world in that extra few years (and get started earlier on a civilian pension or 401k or whatever) versus trying to stay in as long as possible before getting booted out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Colonel requires upward of 20 years in service, so they're generally past pension and going the distance.  LTC 16-20, and Major about 10.  So LTC is right in that sweet spot where "career" military with no further prospects qualify for the pension and tap out.  Major and below are frequently attained by those with no intention of going 20 years.

Also, I believe 20 years is not quite as "magical" as it once was, but historically the above is mostly true and LTC tends to be the terminal grade for many.

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Keep in mind, tying into RDC's joke about retiring, that plenty of people who are Captains/Majors did not actually retire, no matter what their book jacket or Fox News bio says, at least not in the traditional sense of getting a retirement party and collecting an actual pension.  I've seen people who made Captain, get out, and call themselves "retired" and it's like "you are in your late 20s or early 30s, you didn't retire from shit."

As RDC pointed out, most actual retired Majors/Captains were originally enlisted.  The Army/military requires you to be promoted on a regular basis, or you are out.  There are some Majors in highly-specialized positions (or academia) who can still be Major at 20, but it's rare.

And some guys who are LTC maybe could have made full bird if they had stayed in a few more years, but the military is unique in that it allows for you to put in 20 years and get a pension.  You get a lot of folks who go into the military with the intention of putting in 20 for the eventual pension and getting out and starting a second career in their early 40s.  And if you are one of those types who are going to put your 20 in and get out, and you get pegged as such, you can pretty much count on retiring as an LTC.

This is from a NY Times article from the 1980s (numbers these days appear classified), but it's probably still fairly close ratio-wise.

The jump in responsibilities between LTC and Colonel is huge.  If you're 42 or 43 years old and a LTC and know you probably won't have a shot at Colonel (they go over your entire career, read every little comment from previous commanding officers going back to when you were in your early 20s, etc.), there's no point in trying to stay in.  

At 20 years, you get 50% of your base pay - 2.5% times each year of service.  If you know you won't advance, better to get out at 42 or 43 with a 50% pension, because you can make more money in the civilian world in that extra few years (and get started earlier on a civilian pension or 401k or whatever) versus trying to stay in as long as possible before getting booted out.

Thanks, all, for adding perspective for me.  Kinda get the Lt. Colonel flack, now. 

16 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Thanks, all, for adding perspective for me.  Kinda get the Lt. Colonel flack, now. 

Yep, and as Atom pointed out, Colonel/Commander and up get seriously competitive and scrutinized.  And LTC is where you get command of a big enough unit or organization that the infamous "it happened under your command" starts to kick in.  You may be utterly blameless, personally, but if some major-ish fuckup occurred under your command, you may be "fitted and retained" to use the naval parlance.

7 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Her maiden name is Prejean.

If you were to Google "Carrie Prejean sextape", stuff would come up.

bull-durham.gif

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

I saw that video without context and thought, "This weirdo thinks that you can physically remove elected officials from a meeting, replace them instantly with regular citizens, and then have that new group pass legislation that same day?  Is that how this guy thinks elections work?"

Then I come here and see he's running for Governor?  He's trying to win an election, and he thinks elections are when people aren't physically in a building, that whoever else in the building gets to pass their own laws?  

Was he just trying to rile up his base there or is he actually this stupid?  Does he worry that when he's Governor and leaves the Capitol to go home to the Governor's Mansion to sleep...that the custodial staff back in the Capitol can pass a bunch of laws without him there?  

He's actually running for County Executive, not Governor.  Nevertheless, he's unhinged. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

Seriously, plenty of ex-military will do stuff like Post Office, etc.

Back when Bergstrom was an AFB, I used to mountain bike with a guy that had just retired from the AF as a jet mechanic at 39 years old. His last day in the AF was a Friday, that following Monday he walked on base as a civilian contractor doing the exact same job for double the money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

After all of the earlier posts about her collar for suspicion of DUI and Allen West's supposed lack of "backing the blue", I'm surprised no one has mentioned this bit of news from earlier today:

Angela Graham-West, wife of Texas GOP candidate Allen West, wasn’t drunk or on drugs when jailed for DWI, tests show

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09/01/angela-west-allen-west-drunk-arrested-dallas/

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2021/09/dwi-case-dropped-against-wife-of-governor-candidate-allen-west/

7 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

After all of the earlier posts about her collar for suspicion of DUI and Allen West's supposed lack of "backing the blue", I'm surprised no one has mentioned this bit of news from earlier today

He did retweet this, which is surprising.  Flirting with the Back the Blue crowd turning on him

"Authorities do not expect foul play"   WTF?  The fucking boat drivers were the cause of the waves that sunk 4 boats and almost killed dozens of people.  That's the definition of foul play.  Lake Travis isn't exactly the Drake Passage.  The choppy waves were cost by Empowered Stupidity.  

Jesus, those people fucked up a boat parade and they think they should be in charge of government.  Fucking ridiculous.  

These people are gonna kill themselves off for their leader.  I'm fine with it.  Anything I can do to expedite it, just lemme know.