The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

Not sure where this goes; could go in the DJT thread, but I'll leave it here...

I have a very real disgust for the politicians and Americans who have draped themselves in the team mantle and now see the object as not only "winning" politically, but poisoning the Gatorade bucket for the other team. If Americans want the sports analogy--this is the highest level of poor sportsmanship.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/30/2020 at 12:30 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

You hate to see it:

This is not at all what I had in mind when I hoped for the death of the GOP.

Maybe the way it works out is the third party is the "fucking regard" party and the GOP becomes actually conservative.

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Maybe the way it works out is the third party is the "fucking regard" party and the GOP becomes actually conservative.

Then what will happen to the current "actually conservative" party? I mean, they've been called "Democrats" so long, it would surely come as a shock to their systems.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

This is not at all what I had in mind when I hoped for the death of the GOP.

There’s zero chance of the party splitting, because both sides know they need each other’ votes to be competitive. A split republicans vote would open too many areas to a democratic winner. You’ll just see a more narrow purge of anyone not on board with trumpism.  This shit on the 6th is the first of many public loyalty tests. 

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

There’s zero chance of the party splitting, because both sides know they need each other’ votes to be competitive. A split republicans vote would open too many areas to a democratic winner. You’ll just see a more narrow purge of anyone not on board with trumpism.  This shit on the 6th is the first of many public loyalty tests. 

That's exactly the way party splits happen in this country, though. A schism opens up over an issue that a large percentage of the endangered party doesn't care about -- eventually, the purity test gets so severe that the party's more rational members leave, and the party becomes a minority part for a longish period of time, until the other side splits the same way, and the issues and social cleavages evolve into a different set of social constructs.

It's happened five or six times historically, and will happen again. Just because we're a two party system doesn't mean that it will always be the same two exact parties.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

People like Mitch are not going to give up control of the GOP to a bunch of Qanon loons.   Mitch and other longtime GOP leaders will weather the storm, just like they did with the Tea Partiers, and those people will slink away after Biden is sworn in and Trump is forced to fund raise on Parler.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/28/2020 at 11:15 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

They’re competing for the same lane— but there’s no such thing as Trumpism without Trump. Trumpism, if it’s anything, is a congealed mass of grievances expressed as semi-coherent broadsides against the libs, the media, bad immigrants, RINOs and anyone else that is Not Trump. 

This incoherence is key to his success. His most loyal supporters are also driven by grievance and anger. It’s directed against everyone and no one. It’s directed at the people who are doing Very Bad Things and who are making life Totally Unfair.  And Donald Trump is the one who shares in being upset at the Seriously Bad People and will demand that Something be done.  The “what” is tangential, if it was actually expressed then there would be something to disagree with and debate and the whole gimmick falls apart.

Hawley and Rubio can’t recreate that, perversely their ability to articulate what should be done and what they plan to do will actually hurt them. 

Good post. Solid argument. 

I will only point out something I've stated before. I don't believe Trump created Trumpism. He just rebranded the Hate Engine with his name.

The GOP became the party opposed to an illusory opponent whom they described in the same way the Nazis described the evil Juden. The hate engine became the media outlets (Hello Wicked Rush Limbaugh) willing to spread the hateful lies for money. The engine grew into a juggernaught over the decades. The GOP thought they controlled it. They kept it restrained enough to get votes from the rubes based on hate but to rule claiming they were elected for love. (Vote for us to keep feminazis and dumb negroes from running things; We were elected to do away with the estate tax!)

Egads! An outsider more adept at lying and hate and with even fewer scruples came along to seize the controls of the hate engine. He puts his face on everything just as he has done his whole life. The actual personification of what the GOPs actually are openly took control, and the hating rubes actually embraced him. Elected on hate; ruling on hate.

I've felt all along that the greatest threat is Trump's successor as demogogue and tactician. What happens if you get someone who is not basically a moron in control of this? Imagine Trump as a skillful politician. Tiberius Caesar instead of Caligula.

We're not out of the woods. We just chewed off a paw to get out of the bear trap. Now we face a long and dubious hike to the light.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Sydney Powell being a lawyer might be dangerous but I think it'd be irresponsible to not hear her out on how people in Georgia can expedite "destroying the GOP." Lin Wood, too. Let's listen to these thoughts with a patient ear. After the runoffs? Yeah, sanction their depraved asses, but for the moment let's reach out with an honest and affable attempt at understanding.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Remember that term from the quaint old days of Summer 2020: Death Cult.

Saw Rudy among the revelers. Saw other former infectees as well. 

Beach Boys and Vanilla Ice. Was the theme 1990 Frat Party no POC need attend?

I loathe these fucks.

Was it "Downfall" where the Nazis are drinking champagne and dancing in the Reichstag as the Soviets approach?  Reminds me of that scene.  Might as well indulge in some hedonism before it all come crashing down.

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

Sydney Powell being a lawyer might be dangerous but I think it'd be irresponsible to not hear her out on how people in Georgia can expedite "destroying the GOP." 

Trump is working on it in South Dakota

This is why he has so many supporters in the House.  They are terrified of a tweet like that.

6 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Yeah, that's it. Republicans are getting it because they're being poisoned, not because they refuse to take seriously the guidance about ways to prevent infection.  Occam's freaking potato, these people.

It should be a badge of honor, since the Mediocre Pumpkin already caught and conquered it earlier this year. 

• Rage+1 1

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult