The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

There is a reason that a Ted Cruz, a Josh Hawley, a Mitch McConnell, a Lindsay Graham, A Kevin McCarthy, a Karl Rove, a Ron Johnson... and think about Texas government right now with  a John Cornyn, a Greg Abbott, an aforementioned Ted Cruz,  a Dan Patrick, a Ken Paxton and a Donald Trump can all flourish in the Republican party...

The GOP is a party of whores....

2 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

This.  There is no GOP.  Only Trumpism.  The last old-school GOPers hanging on, hoping that "Wednesday was a turning point" are deluding themselves.  The GOP is solely and entirely a party of Trumpism.  Which happens to be a domestic terrorism movement, aimed at violent decapitation of all offices of government who oppose their god-king:

ErGPWvAXUAYZ_vu.jpg

Remaining aligned with the GOP at this point in time is to remain aligned with Al Qaeda.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  There is no GOP.  Only Trumpism.  The last old-school GOPers hanging on, hoping that "Wednesday was a turning point" are deluding themselves.  The GOP is solely and entirely a party of Trumpism.  Which happens to be a domestic terrorism movement, aimed at violent decapitation of all offices of government who oppose their god-king:

Remaining aligned with the GOP at this point in time is to remain aligned with Al Qaeda.  

I agree. And it's the younger ones too so their ethically challenged compass will forever be pointed toward themselves and not the country at large. The very senior guard in politics needed to shift downward in totality, but this is a wholesale combination of *revival meeting, county fair midway, and tourist packaged resort placed in a very small room with very loud music and voices. A hostage situation of their own making and I think the casualties may be severe.

* There's nothing wrong with revival meetings, county fair midways, and packaged resorts, which is why I used them. They can be wonderful experiences for a variety of reasons (especially the first). However, when they are bad, they are very bad: you can end up sucked into a cult/depravity,  the victim of a con and flat broke, and/or sickened and abandoned.

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I agree. And it's the younger ones too so their ethically challenged compass will forever be pointed toward themselves and not the country at large. The very senior guard in politics needed to shift downward in totality, but this is a wholesale combination of *revival meeting, county fair midway, and tourist packaged resort placed in a very small room with very loud music and voices. A hostage situation of their own making and I think the casualties may be severe.

* There's nothing wrong with revival meetings, county fair midways, and packaged resorts, which is why I used them. They can be wonderful experiences for a variety of reasons (especially the first). However, when they are bad, they are very bad: you can end up sucked into a cult/depravity,  the victim of a con and flat broke, and/or sickened and abandoned.

the hell is a revival meeting

42 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

the hell is a revival meeting

Depends upon where you are and where you're from. Simplest explanation is a definition: Christian religious services held to inspire active members to gain new converts. Although, it doesn't necessarily have to be outreach and conversion, sometimes it's just getting folks enthusiastic in their walk with Christ. They've been around and evolved for many many years in our country. Tent revivals, stadium revivals (like Oral Roberts & Billy Graham), large or small. A charismatic preacher can really make a connection with the attendees at a revival. The best ones are wholesome, some of the not so great ones may feel to the uninitiated like attending a timeshare sale at an Outback. I'm exaggerating to make a point so hopefully not blaspheming.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:37 AM, ConferenceRoom said:

Kasich calling DC republicans enablers now. I remember when he was offered the most powerful vice presidency ever. 

DC Republicans are enablers? 

well, yes, that’s part of it.  but the reality is that 100% of Republicans in this country are enablers.  it’s just a matter of degree.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Federal agents descended on multiple Tennessee Republican House members' homes and state offices on Friday, collecting evidence while executing search warrants.

At least 10 agents from the FBI entered the Cordell Hull legislative office building just before 8 a.m., fanning out to multiple offices carrying empty boxes with them.

The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Tennessee confirmed the FBI visited the homes of former House Speaker Glen Casada, R-Franklin; Rep. Robin Smith, R-Hixson; Rep. Todd Warner, R-Chapel Hill; and former Casada aide Cade Cothren.

According to multiple people with knowledge of the investigation, agents searched their homes.

The FBI also searched the office of Rep. Kent Calfee, R-Kingston, though House Speaker Cameron Sexton said he understood that Calfee "is not part of the investigation." Calfee's legislative assistant, however, has been placed on administrative leave in connection with the inquiry.

Warner was just elected to the legislature this past fall, beating former Rep. Rick Tillis, in an August Republican primary.

"This has been a trying week for our country, and this will be a difficult time for our state as well as we go down this road," Sexton said during a late-morning news conference about the raids.

"Personally, these are our friends and colleagues of ours that we've worked with for many years. It's important to remember that this is just the start of the investigation and the process, and not the end. Today does not necessarily imply guilt."

Sexton, R-Crossville, said he placed three staff members on paid administrative leave in connection with the case. According to legislative administrative director Connie Ridley, Sexton's chief of staff Holt Whitt was among those placed on leave.

Agents visited Whitt's home Friday morning, according to a person familiar with the investigation. Whitt was a carryover from Casada's office as speaker.

Nadine Korby, the legislative assistant for Calfee, and Carol Simpson, Casada's longtime assistant, were also placed on paid leave.

Sexton said he believed it was the best decision for the employees to remain on paid leave for an indefinite amount of time "since they're part of an active investigation."

Sexton said he was contacted by the FBI about the investigation "since becoming speaker" in August 2019, though he declined to say when he first learned about it.

Gov. Bill Lee acknowledged agents' activity during a Friday morning briefing.

Your stories live here.
Fuel your hometown passion and plug into the stories that define it.
Create Account
"I’ve spoken with Speaker Sexton this morning and I’m aware of the FBI raids," Lee said. "It’s certainly very concerning. I know very little about that. There’s been no FBI outreach to us but I am confident that Speaker Sexton is on top of this situation as it unfolds.”

An agent in the Cordell Hull building on Friday could be heard telling a facilities manager that the FBI was executing search warrants.

An agent stood guard outside the office of Casada, who resigned from his position as speaker in 2019 following a vote of no-confidence from the House Republican Caucus.

One of the FBI agents talks on the phone while he stands in front of Glen Casada's office before investigating inside at the Cordell Hull State Office Building in Nashville, Tenn., Friday, Jan. 8, 2021. It's unknown what they are searching for.
Agents were also posted outside of the offices of Smith and Calfee, leaving with cardboard boxes full of various items.

Facility staff were seen using a drill to help agents unlock a desk in Calfee's office.

A spokesperson for the FBI referred comments to the office of Don Cochran, U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee. 

David Boling, spokesman for Cochran, said he only acknowledge agents' presence at the building and at the various homes searched.

Neither Casada nor Smith immediately returned requests for comment. 

Calfee said he wasn't aware that agents were in his office.

"I didn't have a clue," Calfee said Friday morning. "I hadn't heard."

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Oh look there’s video 

And people wonder why 70% of the Covid cases in congress are Republicans...

Gritty stars in a popular 2020 election meme.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/11/29/republicans-make-up-70-of-the-members-of-congress-who-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19/?sh=5d6193fa45b7

Probably more have gotten sick in December because of maskless Christmas parties. Hope they all get sick. If a few die, then so they die.

If there's one slight positive out of all this, the Republicans in the House have absolutely no room to weaken Biden (and the new Georgia Senators, for that matter) for 4 years with "illegitimate president" bullshit like you know damn well they were going to. They've got fucking McConnell and Graham calling it a legitimate election after all this, and everyone with a conscience is calling out Cruz and Hawley for the complicit pieces of shit they are. None of those cowards would dare to start that shit up now.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If there's one slight positive out of all this, the Republicans in the House have absolutely no room to weaken Biden (and the new Georgia Senators, for that matter) for 4 years with "illegitimate president" bullshit like you know damn well they were going to. They've got fucking McConnell and Graham calling it a legitimate election after all this, and everyone with a conscience is calling out Cruz and Hawley for the complicit pieces of shit they are. None of those cowards would dare to start that shit up now.

This take is insane. McConnell has made an entire career out of defying expectations of just how low he will sink to get exactly what he wants. The mother fucker is proud that that is his lasting legacy. He will dare to do anything he can get away with, and that's pretty much anything. His only limits have either been whether he is the Speaker and has the numbers or not.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oh, my sweet summer child.  There are plenty of Reps and Senators who aren't going to give two shits what McConnell and Graham say today.  We already know that Graham will flip in a second the way he did after Trump was elected and went from adversary to sycophant.

In about a month from now once Trump is gone, every GOP asshole from McConnell, Graham, and down are going to suddenly remember how fiscally responsible they forgot they were four years ago and suddenly remember how radical and dangerous Joe Hidin' and Camel-la Harris are to our founder's guiding principles of trickle down economics and law and order.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

This take is insane. McConnell has made an entire career out of defying expectations of just how low he will sink to get exactly what he wants. The mother fucker is proud that that is his lasting legacy. He will dare to do anything he can get away with, and that's pretty much anything. His only limits have either been whether he is the Speaker and has the numbers or not.

Fair. I have no doubt that they'll beat around the bush with the same horseshit that those dipshits in the House were spewing ("election integrity", "transparency") to take their subtle pot shots, but I don't see any straight up "not my president" shenanigans. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong in short order.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Fair. I have no doubt that they'll beat around the bush with the same horseshit that those dipshits in the House were spewing ("election integrity", "transparency") to take their subtle pot shots, but I don't see any straight up "not my president" shenanigans. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong in short order.

I hear you, but we don't have to wait and see. I mean, 8 Republican senators and more than half of the R House stepped over broken glass and furniture hours after rioters trashed the capital building to challenge election results without any proof. It's been said a million times on this board, but there is no bottom. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Oh, my sweet summer child.  There are plenty of Reps and Senators who aren't going to give two shits what McConnell and Graham say today.  We already know that Graham will flip in a second the way he did after Trump was elected and went from adversary to sycophant.

In about a month from now once Trump is gone, every GOP asshole from McConnell, Graham, and down are going to suddenly remember how fiscally responsible they forgot they were four years ago and suddenly remember how radical and dangerous Joe Hidin' and Camel-la Harris are to our founder's guiding principles of trickle down economics and law and order.

I'm specifically talking about continuing to give the election conspiracies air time. I have no doubt whatsoever that they'll do their best to cripple him in every other way conceivable.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

In about a month from now once Trump is gone, every GOP asshole from McConnell, Graham, and down are going to suddenly remember how fiscally responsible they forgot they were four years ago and suddenly remember how radical and dangerous Joe Hidin' and Camel-la Harris Kahamala-Kamahala-Kamala-mala-mala are to our founder's guiding principles of trickle down economics and law and order.

fif former Senator Perdue

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm specifically talking about continuing to give the election conspiracies air time. I have no doubt whatsoever that they'll do their best to cripple him in every other way conceivable.

Fair enough.  I misread your post.

I'll give credit where credit is due that they both went on record congratulating Biden's victory and didn't push any of this conspiracy nonsense.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

This the same Graham who previously said publicly no Supreme Court Nominee should get a vote in an election year and that if he tried they could use his words against him?  Lady G?  Unfortunately, yes, those cowards WILL dare, unless they are finally held to account.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I appreciate the direct language from a R Senator but it is a little late in the game for anyone to be "questioning" their future as a Republican. 

If she dropped the R label and went "I" or "D", I'd be impressed.

Because right now, she's a Republican with a furrowed brow.

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult