The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

51 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Since he helped create this populist menace on the right, I appreciate his perspective - but - fuck him.

Good read. Thanks @Francisco 2.0

Steve Schmidt's greatest crime was not trying hard enough to get McCain to pick someone other than Palin.  12 and a half years later, here we are.

Wonder if he has any sleepless nights.  He should.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

The Cult is still alive and kicking.   You may be confused with INXS, who had a singer die while jerking it to impure thoughts.  Ken Paxton has jerked it to those same thoughts, unfortunately to less fatal results.  

INXS was pretty legit too. One of the brothers is doing something recently i heard.

It was a damn shame Hutchence strangled himself.

• Hook 'Em 2

Relating to the party as a whole, and lastly, the Georgia senate race, I found this perspective below to be thoughtful. I've been thinking about it in more detail as I attempt to assist a friend with locating a mental health practitioner in the state. So much of a 'why bother' mindset has become entrenched in our population due to the willful disregard of issues and substantive policy that unless someone is personally affected, they just shrug. They do that with all areas of public sector services from transportation to food safety to education to healthcare. That the GOP has had little in the way of policy is nothing new, but the drag on society due to the inertia is causing asphyxiation.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve been saying for well over 15 years  (@Kyrie Eleison will recall this I’m sure) that the best and probably way for Democrats to regain a foothold outside of urban strongholds was to return to its posture as a 50-state coalition strategy primarily built around a jobs and income economic agenda for middle class people, and de-nationalize basically everything else.

In short- the idea would be that a Tyler Democrat shouldn’t be in a position to answer for AOC. Of course Republicans will  try to make them, but the Democratic party shouldn’t create the frame.

Take a look at D25. There’s no reason why the candidate for D25 in 2022 shouldn’t be comfortable around guns, lukewarm on abortion, supportive of expanded ag visas, advocate strongly for deficit reduction, and message VERY aggressively on healthcare expansion and infrastructure, for example.  But it would be nearly impossible to sell that candidate in the primary season. Obviously some of that is the gerrymandering, because Austin progressives dominate both the selection of a candidate and the pool, but a big part of it is the catechism of national social issues a candidate must recite everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’ve been saying for well over 15 years  (@Kyrie Eleison will recall this I’m sure) that the best and probably way for Democrats to regain a foothold outside of urban strongholds was to return to its posture as a 50-state coalition strategy primarily built around a jobs and income economic agenda for middle class people, and de-nationalize basically everything else.

In short- the idea would be that a Tyler Democrat shouldn’t be in a position to answer for AOC. Of course Republicans will  try to make them, but the Democratic party shouldn’t create the frame.

One quibble. Democratic party should most emphatically create A frame, just not let the Republicans box them into one the Rs created and rebuff any attempts to reframe issues into the R frame. Ownership of words sounds like a little deal, but the Republicans are really really good at it.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

One quibble. Democratic party should most emphatically create A frame, just not let the Republicans box them into one the Rs created and rebuff any attempts to reframe issues into the R frame. Ownership of words sounds like a little deal, but the Republicans are really really good at it.

I agree that they should reject the Republican frame, which is a big part of why running away from the useful word “liberal” was a terrible mistake, but I don’t think a well defined frame works for the Democrat coalition or that its even required. The most successful Democratic coalition builders of the last 40 years are Howard Dean as a chair, Bill Clinton as a president , and Barack Obama as a candidate. None of them operated in a well defined frame

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I agree that they should reject the Republican frame, which is a big part of why running away from the useful word “liberal” was a terrible mistake, but I don’t think a well defined frame works for the Democrat coalition or that its even required. The most successful Democratic coalition builders of the last 40 years are Howard Dean as a chair, Bill Clinton as a president , and Barack Obama as a candidate. None of them operated in a well defined frame

What I think is bullshit is that Rs have made it to where they don't have a frame their own.  It's purely "Democrats are evil".  Meanwhile, Dems are pressured to actually have policies and real ideas, because they actually give a shit about governing.  Two different sets of rules.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 12:37 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

A schism opens up over an issue that a large percentage of the endangered party doesn't care about -- eventually, the purity test gets so severe that the party's more rational members leave, and the party becomes a minority part for a longish period of time

This is like the complete opposite of what happened with the Tea Party / Freedom Caucus assholes hijacking the GOP.

53 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What I think is bullshit is that Rs have made it to where they don't have a frame their own.  It's purely "Democrats are evil".  Meanwhile, Dems are pressured to actually have policies and real ideas, because they actually give a shit about governing.  Two different sets of rules.

You’re not wrong, but tough shit. Maybe it’s because I sell and promote stuff for a living, but I have little sympathy for those that can’t make the sale and blame the buyers. Gotta meet people where they are sometimes. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Should start calling Republicans the American Taliban for trying to take down Democracy.  Every time my mom opens her pie hole about politics I'm going to refer to them as American Jihadists and Democracy terrorists.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Should start calling Republicans the American Taliban for trying to take down Democracy.  Every time my mom opens her pie hole about politics I'm going to refer to them as American Jihadists and Democracy terrorists.  

Tealiban or Teahadists 

Y’all’qaeda

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’ve discovered, much to my chagrin, that I actually really like Phil Collins.  I’ve tried to resist but it’s basically gone in these stages throughout my life:

Stage 1:  Phil Collins is the worst! Sellout mainstream overproduced crap!  Motherfucker trying to be on MTV looking like my dad’s accountant.  Lame!

Stage 2:  Ok, In the Air Tonight is obviously an exception, but the rest of his catalogue is soulless tripe.

Stage 3:  Ok, his stuff with Genesis before the mid 80s was not bad.  But solo Phil Collins and late Genesis still sucks.

Stage 4:  (Humming Invisible Touch)

Stage 5: Ok, every Genesis album in the 80s was actually fantastic.  And a lot of his solo work is actually really good.  But - and I cannot stress this enough - No Jacket Required is an abomination.  Fuck Billy, and I hope he does lose my number!  Fu fu fuck Sussudio!

Stage 6:  (Actually listens to Sussudio for the first time in years)

Stage 7:  I celebrate Phil Collins’s entire catalogue!  Maybe he’s touring after Covid!  I wonder if I might meet him at the Alamo ...

This is all accurate, I can unfortunately attest to

• Hook 'Em 2

I think at this point I’m actually more pissed off at their “who me?” reactions when they get caught. If you’re going to be a seditious fuckhead, at least own it. 

The “oh we were just joking, no big deal!” defense should add 10 years to their sentences automatically. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve discovered, much to my chagrin, that I actually really like Phil Collins.  I’ve tried to resist but it’s basically gone in these stages throughout my life:
Stage 1:  Phil Collins is the worst! Sellout mainstream overproduced crap!  Motherfucker trying to be on MTV looking like my dad’s accountant.  Lame!
Stage 2:  Ok, In the Air Tonight is obviously an exception, but the rest of his catalogue is soulless tripe.
Stage 3:  Ok, his stuff with Genesis before the mid 80s was not bad.  But solo Phil Collins and late Genesis still sucks.
Stage 4:  (Humming Invisible Touch)
Stage 5: Ok, every Genesis album in the 80s was actually fantastic.  And a lot of his solo work is actually really good.  But - and I cannot stress this enough - No Jacket Required is an abomination.  Fuck Billy, and I hope he does lose my number!  Fu fu fuck Sussudio!
Stage 6:  (Actually listens to Sussudio for the first time in years)
Stage 7:  I celebrate Phil Collins’s entire catalogue!  Maybe he’s touring after Covid!  I wonder if I might meet him at the Alamo ...

One day I will tell you all the story of how I convinced Phil Collins to donate his Alamo collection while we were at a meeting of the Dallas Historical Society back in the early 2000s. You’re welcome, Texas.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult