The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

I have inadvertently opened up a can of worms, perhaps. I'll leave with this, in which Ms. Kanefield articulates what is on my mind way more eloquently than I can. It isn't so much being obsessed/fixated as much as a reminder to not get complacent. Her thread is in reference to a video, Fascist Lies, which is included in the final tweet inside the spoiler. It's a long cat twitter thread and I will spoiler the majority so that those who would rather not, can pass on by.

Spoiler

It is not to create despair, but to create an energy of action, of hope, and of determination. We were fortunate that the Republic held. We have numbers on our side. So lets use that energy to hang tough despite or in spite of those who support fascism. To wit:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

To your credit, Sawbonz, I did see this photo: It's a panel discussion with members of the Texas lege (including Briscoe Cain) at the meeting of the Young Conservatives of Texas this weekend. See that the demographic in that picture has an overly generous definition of 'young.'

to be fair, all of the Young Republicans are on stage. Those old people are there to see their party's future. Like when I go watch a prospect tournament for my favorite hockey team. The best and brightest

53 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Oh

Polling data shows Republican party affiliation is down as independents leaning toward the Democratic party surge

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/the-number-of-americans-identifying-as-republican-is-the-lowest-its-been-in-a-decade-gallup-poll-11617812129

Basically at the point in time if you still consider yourself a proud member of the Republican Party you have a serious character flaw or even mental illness. I know a few who still vote Republican somewhat reluctantly because taxes but that’s just because they are politically ignorant. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Civil war, lord I hope not. Going off the specific dictionary definition of it, I'd agree with the odds being low. 

The majority of citizens want no harm to come to others and keeping that in mind, let us hope that it is a warm, pleasant, and uneventful summer. Even boring by comparison would be a good thing.

The majority of citizens want to keep doing their thing, keep watching their TV shows and movies, keep doing whatever on the internet, keep eating at Chilis or whatever, etc.

A majority of them realize an actual civil war would destroy all of that.  At this point in time, the majority of Americans have had some kind of experience with natural disasters (hurricanes, winter storms, flooding, wildfires, and so on) within the past decade, or somebody they know has (helped out by social media or the news that fixates on natural disasters).  They've seen how fragile things are, whether it's electricity (well, it's fragile in Texas), running water, etc.

But we do have a very small minority who have no real skin in the game.  Incels, basement dwellers, etc. who have little to nothing to lose (so they think) and a lot to gain (which they don't). They do not have a handle on reality - they do not realize that in a civil war type situation, most citizens are going to try and protect their shit and their families, and they do not realize that a civil war threatens the wellbeing of cops and military (including National Guard), since it would wreck food distribution, electricity, running water, the financial systems, etc..  

They think their support of "back the blue" and the troops means the police and miltiary will have their backs in a shooting match, but by fucking around with money, food, water, and electricity, they will find out that the cops and the military are going to always side with The Man. 

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

It’s the sheer volume of your posting on this topic and the doom scrolling that you bring over here that puts the lie to the idea that this is rational thought. 

Whatever you may think of her posting, it was not a coincidence that a bunch of right-wing commentators on various social media platforms, politicians, and talking heads on TVs (with Tucker Carlson leading the way) started pushing the replacement theory at the same time.  

Sure, you can draw a Venn diagram and say these groups just happened to have some overlapping views, but the fact still stands - they all started pushing it over a very short amount of time.  Whether somebody told them to do it, or whether one of them did it and the others saw it was getting traction and clicks and views, doesn't matter - they all still started pushing it and reinforcing one another.

And then you can top it off with this Anglo-Saxon traditional nonsense that MGT and her friends started to push (as confirmed by her office) but then retreated and said they hadn't fully read it, or that was just a rough draft, etc. after being called out by a shit-ton of people.

There is some kind of movement going on.  This is very similar to how the qanon stuff went big, and arguably it's an extension of that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Basically at the point in time if you still consider yourself a proud member of the Republican Party you have a serious character flaw or even mental illness. I know a few who still vote Republican somewhat reluctantly because taxes but that’s just because they are politically ignorant. 

I recall when the meme was going around that "liberalism is a mental illness" or whatever.  It was one of the first examples of projection that I can remember, which now is so commonplace among the snowflakes of the Right.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I recall when the meme was going around that "liberalism is a mental illness" or whatever.  It was one of the first examples of projection that I can remember, which now is so commonplace among the snowflakes of the Right.

Whenever some asshole or mentally ill republican starts spouting off their nonsense just ask them to send you a link to the Republican Party platform so you can understand their point of view.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/24/2021 at 8:39 PM, BrickHorn said:

We are witnessing the growth of the American Nazi party. It’s fucking shocking, but it’s 100% happening. 

22 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Actually we are witnessing the death of the Republican Party 

Obligatory why-not-both.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

Get a load of this stupid cunt:

Last week, a police officer responded to an Alaska Airlines terminal in Juneau as state Sen. Lora Reinbold clashed with staffers over mask rules. It was a familiar battle for the Republican lawmaker, a vaccine skeptic who has blasted flight attendants as “mask bullies” and accused the airline of “mask tyranny.”

Now, she isn’t welcome on their flights at all. Alaska Airlines this weekend banned Reinbold “for her continued refusal to comply with employee instruction regarding the current mask policy,” the airline said in a statement to The Washington Post.

That’s a serious problem for the lawmaker, because Alaska Airlines operates the only regular flights to the state capital from her home in the Anchorage area, the Anchorage Daily News reported. Reinbold scrambled on Sunday to get to Juneau via an arduous 14-plus-hour car ride, including a jaunt through Canada, to reach a ferry to the capital.

“Alaska I went to new heights to serve you & have a new appreciation for the marine ferry system,” Reinbold posted on Sunday night.

Reinbold also lashed out at the airline, claiming that her latest fight over mask rules was caused by “uptight employees at the counter” and arguing that Alaska Airlines was wrong to publicly confirm that she had been banned.

“Alaska Airlines sent information, including my name, to the media without my knowledge nor permission. I do believe constitutional rights are at risk under corporate covid policies,” she wrote on Facebook.

The state senator is the latest Republican to push back against corporate and government policies mandating mask use, even as health officials have urged Americans to continue adhering to the rules as more contagious variants have continued fueling the coronavirus pandemic.

Reinbold, who represents Eagle River, a district north of Anchorage, served in the Alaska House from 2013 until 2019, when she won a Senate seat. As the pandemic took hold in Alaska and much of the United States, she emerged as one of the loudest voices in Juneau against restrictions.

As chairwoman of the state Senate Judiciary Committee, she used hearings to take direct aim at Republican Gov. Mike Dunleavy’s pandemic rules, regularly calling witnesses to dismiss the effectiveness of masks and other policies. She also refused to wear a face mask in the Capitol, instead donning a clear shield over her mouth.

She’s faced consequences for her stance, even from her Republican colleagues. In February, Dunleavy said his administration would no longer participate in any hearings she chaired, accusing her of using her position to “misrepresent” covid-19 policies.

ADVERTISING

“I will not continue to subject the public resources of the State of Alaska to the mockery of a charade, disguised as public purpose,” Dunleavy wrote in a letter.

Last month, she was banned from most of the Capitol for refusing to follow mask rules.

Outside of the legislature, meanwhile, Reinbold has taken particular umbrage at Alaska Airlines rules requiring her to mask up on flights. In November, she posted a screed to Facebook to complain that a “scaredy cat Karen whined loudly and was a Tattle tail when I took my dumb worthless suffocating mask off, a bit longer than she wanted, for my food and drink.”

In a later post, she encouraged travelers to evade Alaska’s rules requiring a negative coronavirus test to enter the state, writing “sneak by if you are bold [for] they cannot force you.”

Last week, bystanders filmed her arguing with Alaska Airlines staffers in Juneau, including one man who instructed her to pull her mask up over her nose. A police officer at the airport responded to the scene but “didn’t take any enforcement action,” the Juneau Police Department told the Daily News.

On Facebook, Reinbold said the incident was simply a “reasonable” discussion about the mask policy.

“I was reasonable with all Alaska Airlines employees. … I inquired about mask exemption with uptight employees at the counter,” she wrote, suggesting that the timing of her ban was politically motivated to cause her to miss votes in the Senate.

She is now one of more than 500 people banned from Alaska Airlines flights over failure to adhere to mask rules, the Daily News reported. The airline said in a statement that her “suspension is effective immediately pending further review.”

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Oh

Polling data shows Republican party affiliation is down as independents leaning toward the Democratic party surge

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/the-number-of-americans-identifying-as-republican-is-the-lowest-its-been-in-a-decade-gallup-poll-11617812129

The doomsayers (with a bigger platform than this board) have a roll in this.

That the aims of “Trumpism” may be likely to fail statistically based on voter party migration doesn’t mean people should quit talking about what it means if Trumpism prevails.  It’s only likely to fail statistically because more and more people are becoming aware of what it means if it were to succeed.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

ultimate gaslighting. how soon before these fucks start saying that slavery never happened and those people were working under their own free will? I feel like we're close.

“There was at least 100 slaves on the plantation, they could have ganged up on 10 white guys with guns at any time”

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

ultimate gaslighting. how soon before these fucks start saying that slavery never happened and those people were working under their own free will? I feel like we're close.

Nah they just claim the slaves were better off being slaves. 

On 4/24/2021 at 11:45 PM, Beau Vine said:

Look at this piece of crap:

Would he also be against a flag that was made for people who leave their cancer stricken wife on their deathbed so he can fuck his side piece in public, while leading the impeachment cry against another guy who also had a side piece?  Fuck him. (I didn't watch the video)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Would he also be against a flag that was made for people who leave their cancer stricken wife on their deathbed so he can fuck his side piece in public, while leading the impeachment cry against another guy who also had a side piece?  Fuck him. (I didn't watch the video)

Newt looks dead in that still from the video. Like they opened his casket and propped him up for a photo shoot. 

If Dan Patrick ever decides to run for Governor, it'll be nice that he and Gov. Sarah Huckabee can trade wardrobes every now and again.  

Edited by Lobo