The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Over the last few months, my wife has been talking to friends and acquaintances and looking at various churches (she’s done with her previous Baptist  church of nearly 15 years). We are finding a shitload of our friends/family/etc. under the age of 45 who we had pegged as conservative Christians and/or steady churchgoers who are either done with going to church, or are looking for something far different than what they had, particularly the Baptist crowd (both Southern and otherwise). More than a few who were attending the more conservative churches are tired of their churches getting political, tired of them catering to the olds, ignoring the young families, etc.

How many of those were hardcore MAGA types?  Probably not that many - most of them are college educated and again, most under 45, and only 1-2 realtors, but a decent chunk of them would easily vote (R) down the ballot.     But as a whole, they were either ditching church altogether, or going with churches that cater to younger crowds with kids, and in quite a few cases, that meant churches that were open to female ministers, LGBQT, etc.

Its to the point where I would have liked to kind of track the answers of all of the people she’s talked to.  This is a small sample size, only 3-4 dozen, and most were 45 and under, but I saw enough that if you told me that certain Christian sects were seriously declining in church attendance, or the 45 and under crowd were dropping out of churches altogether I’d believe it.   I’d be curious to hear @Brisketexan take on it, given who his wife is.

It just feels like younger people go away from the church, then find their way back as they get old. That’s why churches cater to the olds, they are reliable givers. 

how many of the olds that never miss church, bribe jesus…I mean tithe, how many were the free spirits of the 60s and 70s that for the last 20 years have been bemoaning the downfall of society because of young people that think differently?

55 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Over the last few months, my wife has been talking to friends and acquaintances and looking at various churches (she’s done with her previous Baptist  church of nearly 15 years). We are finding a shitload of our friends/family/etc. under the age of 45 who we had pegged as conservative Christians and/or steady churchgoers who are either done with going to church, or are looking for something far different than what they had, particularly the Baptist crowd (both Southern and otherwise). More than a few who were attending the more conservative churches are tired of their churches getting political, tired of them catering to the olds, ignoring the young families, etc.

How many of those were hardcore MAGA types?  Probably not that many - most of them are college educated and again, most under 45, and only 1-2 realtors, but a decent chunk of them would easily vote (R) down the ballot.     But as a whole, they were either ditching church altogether, or going with churches that cater to younger crowds with kids, and in quite a few cases, that meant churches that were open to female ministers, LGBQT, etc.

Its to the point where I would have liked to kind of track the answers of all of the people she’s talked to.  This is a small sample size, only 3-4 dozen, and most were 45 and under, but I saw enough that if you told me that certain Christian sects were seriously declining in church attendance, or the 45 and under crowd were dropping out of churches altogether I’d believe it.   I’d be curious to hear @Brisketexan take on it, given who his wife is.

find a good church and set me up with a good, single Christian woman. thanks 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It just feels like younger people go away from the church, then find their way back as they get old. That’s why churches cater to the olds, they are reliable givers. 

In our case, and it’s apparently true for quite a few people we know, a lot of the older/more established churches don’t try to keep young people/families around, which leads to all of those trendy hipster churches.  Either they go full MAGA and/or they just aren’t doing simple little things to engage the younger people/families, but they fucking whine about church attendance being down, even though a bunch of us tell them where they are fucking up and why the younger people and families are bailing.  

I’m not religious (but I enjoy playing devil’s advocate) but it’s obvious to me where they are losing out, and for a group of people who are pro-life/pro-family, some of them seem to be missing out on some really obvious stuff that would keep the younger folks around.

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

find a good church and set me up with a good, single Christian woman. thanks 

If you just want to hook up, get a wedding ring, find a larger church, including Baptist churches, and go and ask to join the Sunday school for widows/widowers or whatever group they have, and you’ll be set in fairly short order.  Works better if you prefer older women.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you just want to hook up, get a wedding ring, find a larger church, including Baptist churches, and go and ask to join the Sunday school for widows/widowers or whatever group they have, and you’ll be set in fairly short order.  Works better if you prefer older women.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Spying I Hear You GIF by NOW WE'RE TALKING TV SERIES

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Love those Park City housewives who silently despise all that their husband’s espouse. Silent until their opening, I mean. Like a bud becoming a flower. 

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

My experience with those housewives, and I follow a bunch of them on social media because my wife taught their kids for a long time, is that a lot of them have had enough.

2 hours ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

In the end, they’re not going to risk it and piss off Jesus.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

How many of those women care more about fucking the pool boy or the lawn guy (either of whom maybe named Jesus)?

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

You’d think so, but that is not my experience. It isn’t the risk they fear, but whether there is truth in the reward.

Edited: what atomheart said.

Y’all talking about @Porterhouse?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Y’all talking about @Porterhouse?

Ha. I don’t have a pool and hope I don’t have a pool guy. And I’m more liberal than she is. Well, significantly more socially liberal and more fiscally conservative. I got into some pretty significant verbal spats with her family about Trump. Park Cities isn’t a bastion for Trump. That’s in the burbs. I’m not sure I am friends with one person here that supports him. 

34 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Ha. I don’t have a pool and hope I don’t have a pool guy. And I’m more liberal than she is. Well, significantly more socially liberal and more fiscally conservative. I got into some pretty significant verbal spats with her family about Trump. Park Cities isn’t a bastion for Trump. That’s in the burbs. I’m not sure I am friends with one person here that supports him. 

Now that the shoe fits my other foot, I’m right there with you in hoping there’s no pool guy. Also, of the  vocal Trump supporters I know, everyone has moved on to someone else

While Trump is so dirty, personally, that we owe our aspirations, as a country, the judgement of our peers in a criminal trial, he is not the mastermind of the publicly stated threat to our Republic.

If I am preaching to the choir, then you won’t mind me pointing  to the “New Right,” that it has tactically effective funding from the true believer billionaire, Peter(?) Thiel, and the New Right’s open and frank mission statement: “Absolute power.” 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Ugh
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

When I start circuit-ride preachin in Texas, you'll always have an invite to come share in the spirit with us.

Snakehandling-930x720.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

When I start circuit-ride preachin in Texas, you'll always have an invite to come share in the spirit with us.

Snakehandling-930x720.jpeg

I’m teaching a world music class this semester. We’ve been looking at music in religious practices and have checked out some pretty wild ones. Next time I teach the class I need to look into a snake handling service - all those cymbals.

• Drool 1