The movie you just watched

F250

On 5/16/2021 at 6:54 PM, Parliament said:

Flight.  Some say that Denzel Washington is overrated and he plays pretty much the same character in every movie. They're wrong.  In this one he nails the part of the asshole you feel real sympathy for.

Fantastic movie. Maybe John Goodman's greatest role since Walter. Either way, John Goodman is an American Treasure and best character actor ever. Don't @ me on this. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I have nothing bad to say about Flight. James Badge Dale gives the best performance of the film (that is full of great performances) as the smoking cancer patient in the stairwell. Tamara Tunie (the ME on Law & Order: SVU) is great as Margaret, the Chief Stew.

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Fantastic movie. Maybe John Goodman's greatest role since Walter. Either way, John Goodman is an American Treasure and best character actor ever. Don't @ me on this. 

John Goodman should pop in for at least a scene in every movie. If he's not available, cast Stephen Root. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

John Goodman should pop in for at least a scene in every movie. If he's not available, cast Stephen Root. 

And hopefully get his GD head off that finger in those slots app commercial.  JFC that's some fucked up shit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Palm Springs with Andy Samberg.  It’s a funny, and touching take on Groundhog Day. It sort of expands and plays around with the idea in some really fascinating ways. 

One of the best movies of 2020, imo 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

He steals the movie in some respects.  If America needs a movie about addiction covered in a topping of that first 30 minutes to take, then Flight nailed it. 

Edited by Bateshorn

The Woman in the Window- not good, although I love watching Amy Adams and Gary Oldman. 3/10

I've watched some garbage straight to VOD/streaming movies the past few months

The Woman in the Window- 3/10

Those Who Wish Me Dead- 3/10

Without Remorse- 5/10

I Care A Lot- 3/10

The Little Things- 4/10

Wonder Woman 1984- 1/10

Ava- 4/10

The Devil All the Time- 4/10

Blah. I have much better luck with movies that are at least a year or two old, so that there are more reviews and are better time tested 

On 5/18/2021 at 12:15 PM, UncleSonny said:

He and Alan Arkin are the main reason to watch Argo.  One liners abound.

Borgman- not really sure how to categorize this one;. a dark Dutch folk fable? Anyway, interesting movie about a man who visits a family. Don't think I grasped what it meant, but it was entertaining nonetheless. 7.5/10

Wife was out of town, so I was flipping around the streaming services looking for something to watch. Amazon had "Layer Cake" on the front page, which is a movie I really liked when it came out and during it's post theater cable run, but hadn't seen in years.  Thought I would check in and see if it was as good as I remember.

Let me tell you, that movie still fucking rules.  Just entertaining as hell from start to finish.  If you hadn't seen it in a while (or never have seen it), I highly recommend checking it out.

• Like 1

Bandits / Bruce Willis, Billy Bob and Cate Blanchett at her most lovely bewitching self.  This one had me from the first, a prison escape in a stolen ready mix cement truck to the tune of Led Zeppelin's Gallows Pole.  Directed by Barry (Rain Man; Good Morning, Vietnam) Levinson.  

Cinematography +

Soundtrack ++

Locations +

Cate Blanchett's mouth +++

Billy Bob as a hypochondriac +

Liked it the first time around, liked it just as much last night.

On 5/18/2021 at 10:50 AM, DonkeyCigars said:

Don't forget about Big Dan Teague  

• Hook 'Em 2

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia- this Turkish movie is really long, gorgeous, hypnotic, and thought provoking. It felt like I was reading a novel, and the director was able to get some of the qualities from good novels that are usually difficult to transfer to the big screen to work. I think some of the high level takeaways went over my head, but oh well; very good movie that might have been a tad too long. 8.5/10

• Hook 'Em 1

The History of Future Folk (2012). Quirky, somewhat like the 1980's movie - The Gods Must be Crazy.  

It's a sci-fi flick set in NYC about an alien folk duo from the planet Hondo:

A little low budget gem.

Edited by washparkhorn
I saw it on Netflix.

On 5/19/2021 at 7:53 AM, Fud said:

The Woman in the Window- not good, although I love watching Amy Adams and Gary Oldman. 3/10

I've watched some garbage straight to VOD/streaming movies the past few months

The Woman in the Window- 3/10

Without Remorse- 5/10

I Care A Lot- 3/10

Blah. I have much better luck with movies that are at least a year or two old, so that there are more reviews and are better time tested 

Watched the Woman in the Window last night.  Not sure I'd rate it as low as you but it's clearly (and presumably intentionally) derivative of Rear Window and Vertigo (as well as whatever other old movies they showed clips of on her TV set).  I'd give it a 5/10 and worth a Monday night watch over network TV offerings.  Oldman and Adams both put in enjoyable performances with weak material.

Without Remorse was dumb.  4/10.  Big disappointment given the source material, but worth a rainy afternoon if you need to kill a couple hours.

I Care a Lot was terrible.  3/10 at best, more like 2/10.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Watched the Woman in the Window last night.  Not sure I'd rate it as low as you but it's clearly (and presumably intentionally) derivative of Rear Window and Vertigo (as well as whatever other old movies they showed clips of on her TV set).  I'd give it a 5/10 and worth a Monday night watch over network TV offerings.  Oldman and Adams both put in enjoyable performances with weak material.

Without Remorse was dumb.  4/10.  Big disappointment given the source material, but worth a rainy afternoon if you need to kill a couple hours.

I Care a Lot was terrible.  3/10 at best, more like 2/10.

Maybe it's just me, but there are too many good movies out there for me to want to watch a shitty or average movie on a Monday night or a rainy afternoon

• Hook 'Em 1

In The Earth- Ben Wheatley returns to his folk horror roots (his movie Kill List was one of my favorites of the past decade). Movie is interesting, gorgeous, and at times scary, but ultimately doesn’t come together into a great finished product. I wouldn’t recommend this one unless you’re really into the prestige horror genre, but I’d recommend Kill List. 6.5/10

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

A Bridge Too Far

Was not impressed.  Great cast with terrible writing.  It was disjointed.  I didn't care for any character.  

Of course it was disjointed.  How do you get all those British sumbitches in the movie if it's not disjointed?  Let alone that Polish Gene Hackman lookalike.

And if you didn't care for James Fox' punching a hole speech you're a goddamn Nazi.

Best musically theme ever, too.

I just watched The Sheik.  It’s a documentary about the wrestler, the Iron Sheik and its like 6-7 years old but I never saw it.  The guy has led an interesting life from his days back in Iran to his good and bad stuff here in the US.   I really enjoyed it as I didn’t know that much about the guy and how important he was to many wrestlers and what a social media phenomena he became with his Twitter account.  He also apparently is the one that started using the word “Jabroni” which I never knew.

Midway from 2019...Intense AF aerial / naval warfare scenes....The strategery part was harder to follow than it was in the 1970s one, because they spelled out everything as if to idiot children over the four hours or however long it was. No biggie. Hats off to those dive-bomber pilots and their titanium balls.