10/7 AP Top 25 Poll... Texas is #9

The Tower

2 hours ago, mdleast said:

Cross-posting this but how great is it to at least be in this discussion?

7fd4afd7dd1e4efa7669488885272bec.jpg

Few random morning talking points.  

This is fucking awesome!  Fucking football is fun again.  Don't remember the last time I watched other teams hoping they win/lose to help our ranking... it just makes college football that much more fun.   

The coaches have quite a few points to hammer to this team.  Put this graphic on the locker room screens.  Let this team know that when they play hard for 4 quarters, they put themselves in a position to win.  This team is not going to blow opponents out.  We're not there yet.  But if we fight hard for 4 quarters and execute, we have a chance to win.  I highly doubt there is anyone on this team at this point that isn't bought in.  Results will squash any negativity/doubt.  There were quite a few players last year that didn't see eye to eye with Herman and were never fully bought it.  The record showed that.  It's different this year.  Everyone is bought in.  It's also laying a blueprint for the freshman to follow.

The other point to hammer to this team is that we cannot afford to play our B game the rest of the way out.  Have to bring our A game to give us a chance to win.  This is not a team that can get over confident.  Every game is going to be a dog fight till the last drive.  The positive aspect is this team has experience now on offense and defense on how to finish games on the last drive. 

Bring on osu.  They are a team that is struggling big time looking for a signature win to help right their season.  It will be a hostile environment at Stillwater.  The crowd always shows up against Texas.  We're going to have to grind this game out.  They will play better than their film shows.  I'm excited... HOOK EM!

If we are 5 and Clemson does lose next week, then...playoff spot?  At least in the AP?

what week does the real cfp ranking come out?  I can’t imagine we will be as high on it as AP. 

That said, if Texas keeps winning then at some point we will belong in that discussion. 12-1 is 12-1. Lose and the drop may be severe. 

5 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Win out and we're in imo. Winning out is the hard part though.

Agree that winning out is the hard part but no way we get in over unbeaten ND,  tOSU,  Clemson, or of course Bama.  The likelihood of 4 unbeaten teams is pretty slim but we still need some help.

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

i'm trying to envision a post-Saban world, what would that look like when Bama is 8-4 every year? Imagine CFB pre 2009 when anyone could win it. 

They'll hire Barry Switzer, win one more championship and then go on a 25 year odyssey of mediocrity.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

Texas #8 in the coaches poll this week. 

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

Coaches poll trails far far behind what the writers and fans know.  This was more about the ou win from last week.  We didn’t deserve to move up 8 spots this mornings but the coaches said we did.  The coaches poll is worse than an espn online poll.

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Agree that winning out is the hard part but no way we get in over unbeaten ND,  tOSU,  Clemson, or of course Bama.  The likelihood of 4 unbeaten teams is pretty slim but we still need some help.

That's the point. That many unbeaten major teams hasn't happened in a gazillion years. One of them will definitely lose and we will definitely jump them if we only have one loss.

Thinking about this more, do we get in over a one loss conference champ Michigan or tOSU?  Three helmet schools, so that's a draw.  They would have both beaten Maryland, so that's bad for us, but our loss happened early in the season so good for us and Michigan and not for tOSU.  Michigan also has the same sleeping giant redemption story we do, so that's a draw.

I don't know who they'd pick but it's fun to worry about it again 

Thinking about this more, do we get in over a one loss conference champ Michigan or tOSU?  Three helmet schools, so that's a draw.  They would have both beaten Maryland, so that's bad for us, but our loss happened early in the season so good for us and Michigan and not for tOSU.  Michigan also has the same sleeping giant redemption story we do, so that's a draw.
I don't know who they'd pick but it's fun to worry about it again 

A 1-loss tOSU champion would mean they lose to a shitty big10 team. So gotta think voters like a Texas team on a 12 game win streak at that point versus a tOSU team with a late season loss to a crappy big10 team (and a win over UM and conference title game)

A 1-loss UM team will be tough to pass though, since they’d have a late season win against tOSU and the conference title game.

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Coaches poll trails far far behind what the writers and fans know.  This was more about the ou win from last week.  We didn’t deserve to move up 8 spots this mornings but the coaches said we did.  The coaches poll is worse than an espn online poll.

What's worse is at least one coach doesn't even have us in the rankings at all.  The same is true for Oregon and Florida.  Why the fuck the coaches even bother voting is a mystery.

8 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

What's worse is at least one coach doesn't even have us in the rankings at all.  The same is true for Oregon and Florida.  Why the fuck the coaches even bother voting is a mystery.

When do they publish who voted for whom, last week of season only or something?  The NR thing/outlier is a valid point, seems to me.  OU for instance is low of 11 in contrast.

10 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Upon further review, I'm guessing that HI/LOW is for rankings throughout the season, not among the voters for the given week....so, never mind.  Still think the coaches poll is a joke.

2 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Upon further review, I'm guessing that HI/LOW is for rankings throughout the season, not among the voters for the given week....so, never mind.  Still think the coaches poll is a joke.

ok.  that makes a lot more sense.

33 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Two national championships and two other title game appearances doesn't do it for you?  

So you don't know what blue blood means, got it.

First MNC was in 1981.  37 years ago.

Which was about 110 years after college football started. Hence why they're not a blue blood. They are new money.

Edited by BigXII

I'd put Michigan 5 and LSU 7 given the nature of their losses. Other than that, the Coaches top 8 looks OK.

UCF almost lost to Memphis. Someone beat them! 

Well they gots to play usf yet. We'll see if charlie can beat sooner boy.

And Kentucky ahead of aggy in the coaches brings the lulz. sec sec sec pooooooor aggggyyyyyy.