Reports saying Mike Stoops has been let go

Hornius Emeritus

If it was blatantly obvious why would our coach use a time out to explain the obvious?
Because it is his job?

And because he might need to adjust the defense?

And because it throws off ou's timing?

You seem a little confused.

Here study this pic it might help...

98660f8bdce31177901511257a2ea173.jpg8c75bb1d1a92d278e56c60ee3c347a72.jpg

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I think if we meet them in the Conference Championship Game they will be emotional wrecks.

I don't see it. If they had edged us out by a field goal after we mounted an epic comeback, then we fired our hypothetical terrible DC and made it all the way to the CCG, I'd be thrilled to get another shot at them.

Of course, I completely agree. Yet this clown MrPlegm is making it seem like what they were going to do was so obvious that Riley should have just explained what they were trying to do in the press conference because there's no point in attempting to hide the details for future use.
Lulz, mrplem?

Gnork drizzle head. It was obvious what ou was going to do. Sorry you could not comprehend that. Pleen

8 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

I don't see it. If they had edged us out by a field goal after we mounted an epic comeback, then we fired our hypothetical terrible DC and made it all the way to the CCG, I'd be thrilled to get another shot at them.

I think the bigger problem, from OU's perspective, is them getting there and not so much getting jacked to play Texas. 

26 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:

Because it is his job?

And because he might need to adjust the defense?

And because it throws off ou's timing?

You seem a little confused.

Here study this pic it might help...

98660f8bdce31177901511257a2ea173.jpg8c75bb1d1a92d278e56c60ee3c347a72.jpg

This is called pron around the A&M campus...

Berry Tramel speaks, and it is glorious:

Monday, October 8, 2018 | by Berry Tramel
Related Videos
OU-Texas Highlights

NORMAN — Lincoln Riley wanted it to work. You know he did. You know he wanted Mike Stoops to succeed as OU's defensive coordinator.

The next-to-last thing Riley wanted was to fire the brother of the man who set up Riley with the job of a lifetime.

The last thing Riley wanted to do was give up 48 points to a Texas offense that isn't exactly Patrick Mahomes on a hot night in Lubbock.

And so Riley on Sunday did what he didn't want to do and what a classy program never is supposed to do. Pink slips in mid-season are low rent on the college level.

But Riley no doubt felt the psychological damage done in the Cotton Bowl on Saturday had crossed the line of no return. An OK Longhorn offense toyed with the Sooners. This wasn't like that 66-59 game at Texas Tech two seasons ago, when Mahomes and Baker Mayfield put on a show for the ages and now are the NFL's problem.

This was an inexplicable mismatch. This was Texas scoring six touchdowns and kicking two field goals on the 10 possessions in which it tried to score. Twice in the fourth quarter, the Longhorns were content to just run clock and squash comeback hopes. When the Sooners scored quickly, UT coach Tom Herman got serious again.

To Stoops' credit, OU got another stop. But with the game tied and an epic rally within reach of the Sooners, Texas chewed up the Sooner defense again, and Cameron Dicker kicked a game-winning field goal with nine seconds left.

The whole atmosphere around Stoops had become untenable. The sane fans were ready to join the crazies and riot in the streets. The stress had seemed to reach the squad. Last week, Riley clearly was agitated at all the talk about defensive futility, even limiting interviews with defensive players. Saturday, linebacker Curtis Bolton apparently went cuckoo at halftime, bypassing the OU locker room to take the famed rampart all the way out into the fair, only to be pulled back by teammates. Must have been a sight for the ages.

Riley clearly was torn. Last season, Mike Stoops was not nearly as ineffective as his critics claimed. The defense had its moments, particularly against Ohio State and TCU twice. It also had Iowa State, Bedlam and Georgia, and an offense for the ages didn't reach the national championship game.

Now the Sooners seem to have the same kind of offense but a defense that appears much worse. And Riley, having been anointed by Bob Stoops, finally felt compelled to make a change.

An OU source said it had been gently suggested over the years that perhaps a change was needed at defensive coordinator, but Bob Stoops would not consider firing his brother. That's admirable. And problematic, and why nepotism has no place there, here or anywhere other than a family business.

Still, mid-season firings are bad form. You preach team, team, team. Family, family, family. Then you fire someone because Texas embarrassed one side of the Sooner ball. That's no way to build morale or confidence or trust.

Will firing Mike Stoops save the OU season or salvage the Sooner defense? Probably not. But it also can't hurt. Not the defensive performance, at least.

This wasn't working. Not working at all. The old argument that OU couldn't produce a great (or good) defense because of the Big 12's offensive culture has merit. But that merit explains why OU's defense never could approach Alabama's or LSU's or Clemson's.

It never explained how the Sooners could have a worse defense than Iowa State. Much worse, actually, last season. Comparisons in the Big 12 are apples to apples. After three conference games, the Sooners are headed for the bottom of most defensive statistics, including the one that matters most.

In 35 opponents' possessions in the three Big 12 games, the Sooners allowed 13 touchdowns and six field goals. That's an efficiency percentage of .457. Kansas' defense finished last in 2017, at .458.

I don't know why things went so south. I think Mike Stoops knows defense. He's proven he can coordinate championship defenses. But we're getting further and further from those glory days. The encouraging performances were getting fewer and fewer.

And when Texas carved up the Sooners on Saturday in the Cotton Bowl, it became clear that Stoops' time was nearing an end. I didn't think it would be Sunday; the Sooners aren't a quick-trigger-type organization.

But Stoops was jettisoned not only because the defense was so bad, but because the offense was so good. OU won't always have a Kyler Murray or Baker Mayfield to win 63-33 and 66-59 games. In the last seven games, the Sooners have lost showdowns that were tied 45-45 with 10 seconds left in the game. Georgia won 54-48 in double overtime, Texas won 48-45 in regulation.

Riley must have decided that while firing Stoops might not help, there's no way it could hurt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, orangebird said:

At every place I've ever worked, having a direct family member as a subordinate would be considered a conflict of interest.

But yeah, this is 0U, so it sort of makes sense now.  WTF was I thinking, applying logic to this situation?

Ever try finding two people in Oklahoma who aren’t direct family members?

• Like 1

The last thing Riley wanted to do was give up 48 points to a Texas offense that isn't exactly Patrick Mahomes on a hot night in Lubbock.

Guess it's gonna take a while longer to earn some respect.  Can't possibly be that we're actually starting to play better, no?

Problem is, I'm not sure we'll see another defense that is respected nationally until bowl season.

Damn!  juicy stuff.  They are not handling adversity well. This loss doesn’t define them, it’s how they respond that defines them.  Some really smart guy said that. I think his name was Dave or something. 

Edited by Lhorn

If Riley is smart and he seems smart he'll grab an NFL job asap. Even disregarding the questions about his level of control over the program (he's in a position to negotiate that this off season probably) its only a matter of time at that cesspool and in this era of increased scrutiny before he gets the Briles, Meyer, Patino taint

2 hours ago, ERhine said:

I have been very fortune? Really?

More like a spinning wheel of fortune.  Riley is a fucking pussy.  Look at him, would you want that guy having your back?  Of course you wouldn't because you know that millennial bitch would turn and run like a little murray at the first sign of a fight.

Edited by mulletpelini
I misspelled mary....or did I?

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

God damn it, whoever held Bolton back from beating the piss out of Mike should also be let go.  Fucking asshole deserves an ass kicking on his way out.  Fuck off with all the making nice shit.  You stole money and championships.  Cunt. 

I am pretty sure it was Bolton I saw come to the sideline and sling his helmet into the bench and throw a tantrum early in the second half.  Can anyone verify?  Probably wasn't on tv but someone else had to see that awesome display of soonerism.  

On 10/7/2018 at 8:21 PM, closetojumping said:

Bob Stoops carries a fuckton of weight in Norman and this will not be something that he’s okay with, even when the stories of Riley reaching out to Bob inevitably surface to make this seem kosher. I am interested to see these ripple effects. 

Is Grimace expected to be the interim guy? That was rumored from the get go. McNeill isn’t the answer either, but he’s Riley’s buddy. Please let him be the guy. 

If the folks on staff at Oklahoma are smart, they will give a look to Colorado defensive coordinator DJ Eliot, who moved in from Kentucky a year ago, a competitive defense has been lacking for the better part of a dozen years in Norman...