Long time, no see? You fucking racist

PilotsError

‘Long Time, No See’ Is Considered Offensive, Non-Inclusive Language at Colorado State University

"Viewed as derogatory towards those of Asian descent."

At Colorado State University (CSU), administrators have designated the common greeting "long time, no see" as non-inclusive language.

That's according to a student, Katrina Leibee, who writes for the campus paper, The Rocky Mountain Collegian. Leibee met with Zahra Al-Saloom, director of diversity and inclusion at CSU, who showed her a list of terms and phrases considered contrary to the university's mission of fostering inclusion.

"One of these phrases was 'long time, no see,' which is viewed as derogatory towards those of Asian descent," wrote Leibee.

Leibee also noted that administrators discouraged use of "you guys" in favor of "y'all," which is gender neutral (and ungrammatical, but this is apparently less of a concern). Her column does not claim that administrators force students to use the gender neutral terminology, just that such terminology is preferred.

Al-Saloom did not respond to a request for a comment.

The College Fix's Jennifer Kabbany sees this as an example of campus political correctness run amok, and I'm having a hard time disagreeing. I can't imagine anyone reading racial subtext into "long time, no see" unless they have already been instructed to look for it. The greeting's Wikipedia page raises the possibility that it is of Chinese or Native American origin, but an NPR article from 2014 says the phrase is so widespread that it's impossible to tell for sure.

It's no wonder that policing microagressions might actually backfire. As some research has shown, many people who are supposedly impugned by a given slight fail to register it as offensive. What is to be gained by insisting that they should find it offensive, and that people who persist in using the term are aggressing against them in some small way?

Photo Credit: Roman Samborskyi / Dreamstime

Associate Editor Robby Soave, a 2017–2018 Novak Fellow at the Fund for American Studies, is the author of a forthcoming book about campus activism in the age of Trump.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/11/06/long-time-no-see-is-considered-offensive?fbclid=IwAR20Qox0lOUYKgsXiZWg2ZM_2tTyaKa8yGBkJyn5x_TNx_P6w7x-5vD--Sw

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Ho Lee Fuk! What is the world coming to?

sum ting wong with the PCness of the world today.

I can't find the list in the linked article, and the links in that article - but being the sensitive Surly sort I want to know if it is considered bad to tell someone to "suck my dick" or is that offensive or too gender specific? Would "eat my ass" be more acceptable? Asking because I support a kinder gentler world (and by world I mean a bunch of over sensitive pussies)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

When you have someone whose job title is Director of Diversity and Inclusion they have to do something to justify their existence.  More than likely that something won't be developing blitz packages for the defense.

You must not have watched the game on Saturday. Our D is pretty inclusive lately. 

Sarcasm aside, isn't "Long time, No See" just a contextual contraction for "It has been a long time since I have seen you."  or "I have not seen you in a long time."  

Good to see someone trying to perpetuate the use of y'all.  My wife (no pics) & I are native Texans and are making it a point to teach our boys (6 & 2) to use y'all instead of "you guys".  It's tough in DFW though, since all of these transplants at Kindergarten & day care use "you guys".

Both my kids go/went to Colorado State.  Shit like this appears to be all that the outgoing President , Tony Frank, seems to care about; however, most of the students absolutely love him.  I am so used to short professional one page emails from the UT Presidents over the last 20-years, and then I am shocked to receive these rambling three page PC emails about tragedies that have absolutely nothing to do with Colorado State.

I’m half Asian and not offended a bit. Ya’ll have my permission to use it with impunity. 

I cant understand the mental illness that is required to spend your life in search of offense that isn’t there.  Making someone else apologize must be akin to heroin in its addictive properties. 

36 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I’m half Asian and not offended a bit. Ya’ll have my permission to use it with impunity. 

I cant understand the mental illness that is required to spend your life in search of offense that isn’t there.  Making someone else apologize must be akin to heroin in its addictive properties. 

No offense to the half Asians, but they never place the apostrophe correctly when writing y'all.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, the most offensive part of that article is calling "y'all" ungrammatical. Fight me.

These are probably people the same people who kept telling us ain't isn't a word.

Edited by demos