Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Ho Ree Shit, China is now cutting off credits for energy sales from Russia.  WOW!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/singapore-banks-halt-russia-commodity-101825480.html
Singapore’s biggest banks are restricting trade financing for Russian raw materials, as the war in Ukraine spurs lenders in Asia’s largest energy and commodities trading hub to reduce exposure to the sanction-hit country. …

DBS Group Holdings Ltd., Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp. and United Overseas Bank Ltd. have stopped issuing letters of credit involving Russian energy deals because of uncertainty over the course of sanctions, according to the people, who asked not to be identified as the information isn’t public.

A choke on trade financing in a top commodities hub such as Singapore could snarl the trade of some physical cargoes and add further pressure to prices, even though the U.S. and European Union sought to exclude energy from the latest round of new sanctions.

It’s not just Singapore, but China itself. Singapore is apparently responding to that signal:

Lenders in the city-state, a key trading hub for commodities trade and finance in Asia, join at least two of China’s largest state-owned banks and some banks in Europe in restricting the ability to purchase Russian commodities.

and...

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/banking/bank-of-chinas-singapore-operation-stops-financing-russian-oil-trades-source

Bank of China’s Singapore operation has stopped financing deals involving Russian oil and Russian companies, amid concerns of western sanctions following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, said a source on Monday (Feb 28) with knowledge of the matter.

Bank of China did not immediately reply to requests for comment. …

At least two of China’s largest state-owned banks are restricting financing for purchases of Russian commodities, underscoring the limits of Beijing’s pledge to maintain economic ties with one of its most important strategic partners in the face of Western sanctions.

Although China put out some tweets this a.m. condemning sanctions against Russia, that seems to be theater, and China has acted to disassociate themselves a bit from this mess (toeing a bit more distanced line).  This is like the shittiest news for what's left of Russian's energy economy (no politico/I wish the U.S. would get on board more to stop buying Russian oil - there are numerous ways around it, like a lot).  Anyway, when your one last significant BFF kind of donkey punches you, you are fooked.

Is this going badly for Putin?

Looks like the world wants to teabag Putin now that the RU military has been exposed as a paper tiger.

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

And this is what I'm referring to.  We need to Brrrrrt that convoy into dust.

BT, you and I agree on many of the facts, but not the conclusions, and that's OK.  I hope we can still be friends.

I use this punchline to describe the best strategy often -- seeing a pasture full of cows down below the steep hill the bulls are on, young bull says to old bull "let's run down there and fuck one of those cows!"  Old bull says "son, let's WALK down there, and fuck all of 'em."

Patience is a powerful weapon.   We are deploying it in the correct amount.  Let's stay the course.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, civilians are being killed.  Civilians have been killed before and we didn't send in the full might of NATO.  However, publicizing it and letting Putin look awful as he does so will actually do more to advance the cause of the Ukrainian people and their sovereignty in the long-term.  Shit, at this point, I think that Putin is trying to bait NATO in a frontal fight so he can say "see, I TOLD you we had to face NATO aggression!"  That would actually give him a position that's somewhat supportable within his borders.  We don't want to do that, so we should just stand pat and keep doing what we're doing.

This.  I don't even think Putin is trying to goad us to get involved militarily. He pretty clearly thought Ukrainian troops wouldn't put up a fight and that he'd be able to quickly replace Zelinksy with a puppet and GTFO. But American troops and planes engaging with Russian forces in Russia's back yard is absofuckinglutely not what we want to have right now, because that's essentially the end of the world coming true for Putin and would galvanize support within Russia for continuing the fight.

In less than a week Putin has made nearly all of his worst fears come true. His military doesn't appear to have the stomach for an extended and brutal war with Ukraine, Europe is suddenly so unified against Russia that even the fucking Swiss have joined in against him, China is abandoning him, and even some of his closest oligarchs are publicly opposing the war. Ukraine can keep hurting him as long as we keep them supplied and that's what we're doing. But if we escalate this to a direct military engagement between the US and Russia, he will strongly consider using nukes. Our goals at this point need to be to either give him a face-saving way to deescalate (though I agree that seems pretty unlikely) or inflict so much economic pain on Russia that some oligarchs kill him. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

I agree with this and with @Brisketexan--we just destroyed Russia's economy.  And by "we," I mean the world.  There's no need to do anything that will upset the global support that Ukraine has right now by doing something that Putin can plausibly frame as Nato aggression.

Right now, Russia has no path to victory.  The only way that changes is if we give them one.

You are right, we can't be the ones to escalate this. As painful as it is to see innocent people die, it could possible prevent WWIII which could end civilization. Not a gamble you should take, the risk reward just isn't there. Russia looks to be done at this point anyway. I feel bad for this travesty. We should have done more to prevent it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I use this punchline to describe the best strategy often -- seeing a pasture full of cows down below the steep hill the bulls are on, young bull says to old bull "let's run down there and fuck one of those cows!"  Old bull says "son, let's WALK down there, and fuck all of 'em."

Patience is a powerful weapon.   We are deploying it in the correct amount.  Let's stay the course.

Robert Duvall couldn't have said it better.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

don't need boots on the ground. Precision guided bombs and missiles will solve the siege problem. NATO doesn't have to be the ones firing the missiles and dropping the bombs. They just need to give the instruments of death to the Ukrainians.

Ukrainian forces need to come at them from behind, reopen supply lines and the world needs to deliver food and supplies. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Parliament said:

And this is what I'm referring to.  We need to Brrrrrt that convoy into dust.

Ukraine is not a NATO member.

as of 2/18/21 a record high number of Ukranians wanted to join NATO - that number was 62% with 30% opposing joining NATO. this isn't some fucking slam dunk where there was overwhelming support to join and NATO was on the fence about it

Spoiler

After dropping to 55% in December, support for Ukraine’s NATO membership climbed back up in January and reached 62% in February, according to the survey by Ukraine’s polling organization Rating Group published Friday.

“This is the highest indicator of positive perception of Ukraine's integration into NATO in the history of observations since 2014,” it said.

Another 30% of Ukrainian respondents opposed the ex-Soviet country’s bid to join the Western military alliance, a drop from 35% two months ago.

it's heinous what Putin and the RUS Army is doing today and has been doing for days. As of today, starting a global war with Russia that will last YEARS (or not if they use a nuke) is not the right play or choice. It's shitty but it is what it is.

the Ukrainian people and gov't is playing this perfectly.

the global support is coming through.

there isn't support in almost any nation to enter a full scale war with Russia. including the US

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/28/politics/cnn-poll-russia-ukraine-us-aid/index.html

Eighty-three percent of Americans said they favored increased economic sanctions against Russia in response to the invasion, with just 17% opposed. New sanctions and economic restrictions aimed at Russia were announced by the US and other countries while the poll was in the field on Friday and Saturday. Support for increased sanctions in the new poll stands well above the 67% who favored the same in 2014 amid Russia’s incursion into eastern Ukraine and its annexation of Crimea.

A smaller majority, 62%, also wanted to see the US do more to stop Russian military action in Ukraine, with 38% saying the country has already done enough. But the public is opposed to direct military action by the US: Only 42% were in favor of such a move should sanctions fail to work, with 58% opposed. Among those who said the US should do more to stop Russia’s military incursion, though, 58% were in favor of the use of military action if sanctions failed.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

don't need boots on the ground. Precision guided bombs and missiles will solve the siege problem. NATO doesn't have to be the ones firing the missiles and dropping the bombs. They just need to give the instruments of death to the Ukrainians.

I've been wondering what the legality is of donating a bunch of drones to Ukraine then giving quick Ukrainian citizenship to our boys flying them in Vegas or wherever. Of course it is an escalation, but there's plausible deniability that Americans are flying them.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

I've been wondering what the legality is of donating a bunch of drones to Ukraine then giving quick Ukrainian citizenship to our boys flying them in Vegas or wherever. Of course it is an escalation, but there's plausible deniability that Americans are flying them.

Emotion Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

Ukrainian forces need to come at them from behind, reopen supply lines and the world needs to deliver food and supplies. 

The reporters on all the news channels I have been watching said there are checkpoints everywhere…the convoy of tanks is 17 or so miles out and 17 miles fucking long with gaps and such but still. I hope they have enough stingers etc…we know the Russians aren’t fighting at night and if I’m Ukrainian military/militia/everyone who can pick up a weapon….I’m hitting that fucking convoy with everything I have right now at night.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The one thing where it could get interesting is if the US somehow got dragged into an actual war in Europe.  If we started committing troops and engaging in actual combat, I could see China looking at that as an opportunity to test our two-front military doctrine that we've mostly maintained since the end of WWII.  If we were engaged with Russia in Europe, could we effectively stand against China making a move on Taiwan in the Pacific?  

I don't think that is going to happen, and I think China has come to that conclusion as well.

IF we are dragged into Ukraine, ok. US involvement would be put a small part of larger EU/NATO effort. If Ukraine airspace is controlled by Ukraine and their many friends, game over for conventional warfare in Ukraine. Who knows what happens then.

In any case, no US carriers battle groups are moving any closer than where they are. 

Conversely, anything involved w/ China/Taiwan would be waterborne and airborne.  No reason to put boots on the ground IN China.  China is in a posistion to gain immensly from this; would they put it all at risk for Taiwan for a bruised national pride. 

My father was stationed in Taiwan in '67-68, "still got the shirt."

A1CEBEB6-34FD-4306-9877-905B7C320A58_1_201_a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

excited the mask GIF

We are approaching the point in which everyone is pulling out of joint ventures with the big Russian state controlled/affiliated companies. As we continue to see this in the energy sector this makes me wonder if they are going to pull the plug on the limited SWIFT access they still have for natural gas for Europe.

We are slowly seeing the destruction of the Russian economy and few really grasp how bad it is going to get if this keeps up.

Next on the list will be internal bank runs on currency and limited defaults on internal payments for raw goods in their limited manufacturing industries…

Agreed, they just signaled that Russia can no longer have such leverage and Gazprom will likely implode on itself which is large part hurts Russia for decades to come. Self created problem by the government owning such a large piece of an industry.

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Is this going badly for Putin?

Looks like the world wants to teabag Putin now that the RU military has been exposed as a paper tiger.

Set aside right and wrong and even the basic ideas of human freedoms and go much bigger picture on this from a pure political standpoint.

We are coming out of a global pandemic and there is plenty of blame to go around for all parties and walks of life on how it was handled. All leaders of all countries have taken lumps politically over COVID and there has been limited avenues for true “wins” politically on the international stage.

Then we have Russia and the Ukraine and the concerns over the unchecked power of Russian influence and expansion. Most leaders knew initially to condemn Russia in words and then delay real punitive and military actions until they could see which ways the winds where blowing regarding the invasion and likely outcome. With Putin and Russia failing to sweep through Ukraine quickly, it provides an avenue for all countries to score easy points with their populace and among each other to pile on to the bully once he shows weakness. 

These massive punitive and economic measures would have been much different if say Russian has already swept up all of the disputed “ethnic Russian territory” and the capital. The failure of the initial offensive allows the rest of the globe to attack Russia with a “moral” superiority that only can be generated through time and exposure to the misdeeds of the conflict.

According to Wiki, Ukraine has/had about 60 operational Su-25s, the Russian answer to the A10. They need to get those lend lease Migs up and provide some top cover for the ground attack birds and go HAM on those convoys. The drones and Javelins are nice, but I think the time has come to start taking out these convoys in bulk. Yes, there's more risk from SAMs etc but sometimes you gotta take those risks. Once those vehicles get dispersed, it's going to be a lot harder to take them out.