Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I wonder if our over estimation of Russia was an extension of the dodge they were running. That vast fleet of reserve equipment was a shell. It was so hollow the CO put a bullet in his head when they showed up to get the stuff. We vastly underestimated the level of corruption. It was probably unfathomable they would rip off all the optics and anything else worth selling. Hell, one tank didn't even have an engine. 
I mean we do some shady shit, but at least periodically we check the gear to make sure it actually fucking exists.

Let’s not go sucking each other’s dicks yet.

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It’s a hard line to walk. On the one hand, this is a mother who’s just lost her son. It’s certainly easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment. The thread also notes that she stated her belief that Russia has only conducted precision strikes on military installations and is responding to the threat of an imminent attack by Ukraine. That’s what she and everyone else in the country has been fed by state media, and there is no alternative outlet. She lives in a complete fabrication of reality, but it’s not really reasonable to expect her to have any other information. There’s a non trivial portion of the American public that is on Russia’s side because of brainwashing, and they basically get a pass for that, so I think I can cut the average Russian some slack on that front given they have essentially zero exposure to anything other than the Kremlin’s propaganda.

On the other hand, uh, yeah, her statement was absolute ludicrous and produces zero hope of any significant internal pressure on Putin to end the war; which will lead to thousands more dead and millions traumatically displaced and/or suffering. And that is just maddening.

It was a couple of weeks ago, but I remember seeing an article about the generational divide on information. The olds were getting it exclusively from tv. The young were savvy enough to get around the wall. Seems like we have seen that around here too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Let’s not go sucking each other’s dicks yet.

Are the kickass top tier soldiers gonna show up tomorrow? Have they got something other than bandages in the medkit? How about some gas and diesel?

I ain't seen any reason to think the Russians have got anything in reserve worth worrying about. They are getting farther from Kyiv not closer. 

• Haha 1

Check out this YT channel with various interviews of random Russians. Most of the younger ones appear to be more aware of the propaganda (and plenty just being oblivious youth) while it is the few older ones that skew into that hardline narrative. While there is a bunch of complicit acceptance it helps to understand that they are not all brainwashed.

• Hook 'Em 2

Reddit (Links because of Autoplay):

Ukrainians Begin Shelling Russians With Surrender Or Else Leaflets

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/trtegq/ukrainians_begin_shelling_russians_with_surrender/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Impressive footage of Ukrainian Armed Forces taking back Vil'khivka (Near Kharkiv)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/tra7q0/impressive_footage_of_ukrainian_armed_forces/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Are the kickass top tier soldiers gonna show up tomorrow? Have they got something other than bandages in the medkit? How about some gas and diesel?

I ain't seen any reason to think the Russians have got anything in reserve worth worrying about. They are getting farther from Kyiv not closer. 

Yep. It's well-documented that the top-tier soldiers are already there.  And if Putin tries to call up tens of thousands of reservists, that's going to be a hard sell, plus they are probably going to be worse quality than what he's deployed.

And if they were going to get Belarus involved, it would have happened long before now.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Russia is deporting non-compliant undesirables to the farthest reaches of Siberia?  While they can't be bothered to truck out their own dead?  Man, the more things change, the more things stay the same.  I'm not sure Ukraine is ever going to get those people back.  ☹️  Fuck Russia!

• Rage+1 1

And this is what scaling back means- less attempts to occupy and hold territory, more indiscriminate attacks on buildings to inflict pain and suffering.  Russia isn’t an honest actor and unless they really think there is a downside beyond sanctions for themselves this is the plan going forward while they grind the south down.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

And this is what scaling back means- less attempts to occupy and hold territory, more indiscriminate attacks on buildings to inflict pain and suffering.  Russia isn’t an honest actor and unless they really think there is a downside beyond sanctions for themselves this is the plan going forward while they grind the south down.

you should pray for Russia right now, they're really struggling. 

5 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Her demeanor, amidst that carnage, highly suggest she's done a two year stint in Israel. 

Only thing missing is a cigarette. She is from a far right group and she has been fighting since she was 16. Translation of what was being said......

Male: sad.

F: we can’t identify the other one

M: what’s happened to him? Was he hit by a tank?

F: yes, straight in the head. I can’t find his head…

Heroes never die. Rest in peace, Ali! Rest on peace all heroes who fight against for Ukraine’s freedom!

(She said: "we can't identify the other one".
That why she was looking for the head - to identify second soldier, not Ali.)

One thing for certain....you don't come across anything that pretty in the theater of war that often.

FOt0mK4XMAcLbVu?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Please think about the logistics of this and consider the name of the source before you accept this as fact. This would require something like 50000 rail cars. And how would it be that the Russians could be so incredibly efficient in a forcible operation of larger than Dunkirk scale while abjectly failing at everything else?  Where is the manpower to threaten all these people on to all of those boxcars? Where are the trucks to transport them to all those depots?

As I've said before it could very well be that many of these people are ethnic Russians fearing reprisals. Such population transfers occur in every war of this nature -- Germans who'd live in Poland or the Sudetenland forever, Hungarians in Romania, Greeks in Turkey, Muslims in Hindu India and Hindus in Pakistan and Bangladesh....This war is creating refugees in both directions. To think the Ukrainians are not capable of atrocities is ludicrous. Every side in every war can and does commit atrocities.

Tales like this are why I wish we'd have allowed for a third thread with news only from more objective news agencies -- not outlets with names like Euromaidan PR. While in the right cause, Ukrainian propaganda is still propaganda, and some of you are losing your abilities to reason by wallowing in it. 

Some are losing their minds. Others are losing their souls.

There are professed devout Christians on this thread who also loudly and frequently (and accurately) denigrate American Evangelicals for their falsity of their faith and their rank and utter hypocrisy to heed the words of Jesus Christ and indeed act in ways more akin to Satan.

And these same people urge more and more death and even -- and this frankly disgusts me --  long for a way to have profited more from this war via investments in companies like Lockheed and Raytheon before the shit hit the fan.

Oh I get it. This is "muscular Christianity." Jesus wudn't no pussy. But he also wudn't no "let's stack as many corpses as we can before we have peace talks" kinda guy either. Or a "let's redetonate a nuclear waste site to kill as many people as possible" kind fellow either.

After all, in that case, it gets into this "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" scenario and Jesus is getting tired of picking through the bodies of dead young men, women and children and deciding who is worthy for secondary consideration by St. Peter at the gates and who is not. He is tired of rooting in the bins of our thrift store of terrible behavior. He didn't sign up to be our Messiah to be a deckhand on a crab-boat, throwing some of us overboard and others down in the hold. He wanted to guide us all back into a rich payday back in Dutch Harbor. 

I guess it's pretty rich for me -- a non-Christian -- to cite Christianity here, but I believe it is one strand among many in a truly humanist approach toward viewing the world. Contrary to what some of you might believe, I do believe Ukraine has every right to defend itself against this over aggression. I just disagree on causes and potential escalation. I fear the attitude of the warmongers here might be more powerful in certain circles than it is; I fear what eight years of Reagan's domestic propaganda has done to the minds of my contemporaries; I just want this to end the way Zelinskiy is saying he wants it to end. Some of you won't settle for that, and I say to you, by all means, go over there and find some way to volunteer. There might be some rear echelon job that will have you....Of course those are not much safer than frontline grunt these days, but surely the sanctity of Ukraine's borders and ability to have a pro-western or independent foreign policy is worth dying for, isn't it?

What the bible has to say about war..........take your pick

Spoiler

Ecclesiastes 3:8 ESV / 534 helpful votes

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

Matthew 24:6 ESV / 316 helpful votes

And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet.

Jeremiah 51:20 ESV / 209 helpful votes

“You are my hammer and weapon of war: with you I break nations in pieces; with you I destroy kingdoms;

James 4:1-2 ESV / 207 helpful votes

What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.

Deuteronomy 20:1-4 ESV / 159 helpful votes

“When you go out to war against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and an army larger than your own, you shall not be afraid of them, for the Lord your God is with you, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt. And when you draw near to the battle, the priest shall come forward and speak to the people and shall say to them, ‘Hear, O Israel, today you are drawing near for battle against your enemies: let not your heart faint. Do not fear or panic or be in dread of them, for the Lord your God is he who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory.’

Romans 12:18 ESV / 151 helpful votes

If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

Isaiah 2:4 ESV / 116 helpful votes

He shall judge between the nations, and shall decide disputes for many peoples; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.

Isaiah 25:8 ESV / 105 helpful votes

He will swallow up death forever; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from all faces, and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth, for the Lord has spoken.

Ephesians 6:11 ESV / 102 helpful votes

Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.

2 Corinthians 10:4 ESV / 89 helpful votes

For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.

Proverbs 21:15 ESV / 87 helpful votes

When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.

Ephesians 6:12 ESV / 84 helpful votes

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.

Romans 12:19 ESV / 70 helpful votes

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

Matthew 10:28 ESV / 68 helpful votes

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Romans 13:4 ESV / 61 helpful votes

For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Exodus 15:3 ESV / 59 helpful votes

The Lord is a man of war; the Lord is his name.

Matthew 5:9 ESV / 58 helpful votes

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Exodus 20:13 ESV / 57 helpful votes

“You shall not murder.

1 Timothy 2:1-2 ESV / 53 helpful votes

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.

Revelation 12:7-11 ESV / 49 helpful votes

Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.

Zechariah 10:5 ESV / 44 helpful votes

They shall be like mighty men in battle, trampling the foe in the mud of the streets; they shall fight because the Lord is with them, and they shall put to shame the riders on horses.

Isaiah 19:2 ESV / 44 helpful votes

And I will stir up Egyptians against Egyptians, and they will fight, each against another and each against his neighbor, city against city, kingdom against kingdom;

1 Corinthians 15:55 ESV / 43 helpful votes

“O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”

Romans 8:37 ESV / 43 helpful votes

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

Matthew 10:36 ESV / 41 helpful votes

And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.

Matthew 26:52-53 ESV / 40 helpful votes

Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels?

Matthew 24:6-7 ESV / 39 helpful votes

And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places.

Ephesians 6:14 ESV / 38 helpful votes

Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,

Psalm 144:1 ESV / 38 helpful votes

Of David. Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;

Romans 13:1-5 ESV / 37 helpful votes

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Matthew 26:52 ESV / 33 helpful votes

Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

Micah 7:8 ESV / 32 helpful votes

Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me.

Jude 1:19 ESV / 31 helpful votes

It is these who cause divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit.

2 Timothy 2:3 ESV / 31 helpful votes

Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

Luke 12:51 ESV / 30 helpful votes

Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.

Isaiah 41:10 ESV / 30 helpful votes

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Revelation 6:4 ESV / 29 helpful votes

And out came another horse, bright red. Its rider was permitted to take peace from the earth, so that people should slay one another, and he was given a great sword.

James 4:7 ESV / 29 helpful votes

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

2 Timothy 2:4 ESV / 29 helpful votes

No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him.

1 Timothy 6:12 ESV / 29 helpful votes

Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Romans 13:1-7 ESV / 29 helpful votes

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. ...

John 16:33 ESV / 29 helpful votes

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Deuteronomy 20:4 ESV / 29 helpful votes

For the Lord your God is he who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory.’

Joel 3:9 ESV / 28 helpful votes

Proclaim this among the nations: Consecrate for war; stir up the mighty men. Let all the men of war draw near; let them come up.

Proverbs 21:31 ESV / 27 helpful votes

The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord.

Joshua 1:9 ESV / 27 helpful votes

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Revelation 12:11 ESV / 26 helpful votes

And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.

John 18:36 ESV / 25 helpful votes

Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”

Proverbs 24:6 ESV / 25 helpful votes

For by wise guidance you can wage your war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory.

Revelation 3:21 ESV / 24 helpful votes

The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.

1 Timothy 1:18 ESV / 24 helpful votes

This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare,

Romans 13:1-14 ESV / 24 helpful votes

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. ...

Luke 22:36 ESV / 24 helpful votes

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Psalm 18:39 ESV / 24 helpful votes

For you equipped me with strength for the battle; you made those who rise against me sink under me.

Judges 7:9 ESV / 24 helpful votes

That same night the Lord said to him, “Arise, go down against the camp, for I have given it into your hand.

John 14:27 ESV / 23 helpful votes

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

Matthew 10:34 ESV / 23 helpful votes

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Matthew 5:38-45 ESV / 23 helpful votes

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you. ...

Ecclesiastes 3:1-22 ESV / 23 helpful votes

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; ...

Psalm 68:30 ESV / 23 helpful votes

Rebuke the beasts that dwell among the reeds, the herd of bulls with the calves of the peoples. Trample underfoot those who lust after tribute; scatter the peoples who delight in war.

2 Chronicles 24:24 ESV / 23 helpful votes

Though the army of the Syrians had come with few men, the Lord delivered into their hand a very great army, because Judah had forsaken the Lord, the God of their fathers. Thus they executed judgment on Joash.

John 10:10 ESV / 22 helpful votes

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

Exodus 17:16 ESV / 22 helpful votes

Saying, “A hand upon the throne of the Lord! The Lord will have war with Amalek from generation to generation.”

Revelation 12:7 ESV / 21 helpful votes

Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back,

Romans 13:1-4 ESV / 21 helpful votes

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Jeremiah 29:11 ESV / 21 helpful votes

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

1 Chronicles 16:11 ESV / 21 helpful votes

Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!

Hebrews 11:33-37 ESV / 20 helpful votes

Who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life. Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were killed with the sword. They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated—

1 Corinthians 15:57 ESV / 20 helpful votes

But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Luke 14:31 ESV / 20 helpful votes

Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand?

Matthew 24:36 ESV / 20 helpful votes

“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.

Matthew 8:5-10 ESV / 20 helpful votes

When he entered Capernaum, a centurion came forward to him, appealing to him, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly.” And he said to him, “I will come and heal him.” But the centurion replied, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” ...

Jeremiah 46:15 ESV / 20 helpful votes

Why are your mighty ones face down? They do not stand because the Lord thrust them down.

James 4:2 ESV / 19 helpful votes

You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.

2 Corinthians 10:5 ESV / 19 helpful votes

We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

Romans 3:10-18 ESV / 19 helpful votes

As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” “Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive.” “The venom of asps is under their lips.” “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.” ...

Proverbs 10:12 ESV / 19 helpful votes

Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.

Deuteronomy 20:17-18 ESV / 19 helpful votes

But you shall devote them to complete destruction, the Hittites and the Amorites, the Canaanites and the Perizzites, the Hivites and the Jebusites, as the Lord your God has commanded, that they may not teach you to do according to all their abominable practices that they have done for their gods, and so you sin against the Lord your God.

Deuteronomy 20:8 ESV / 19 helpful votes

And the officers shall speak further to the people, and say, ‘Is there any man who is fearful and fainthearted? Let him go back to his house, lest he make the heart of his fellows melt like his own.’

Revelation 2:11 ESV / 18 helpful votes

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The one who conquers will not be hurt by the second death.’

Jude 1:2 ESV / 18 helpful votes

May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.

1 Peter 2:11 ESV / 18 helpful votes

Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.

Jeremiah 51:15-30 ESV / 18 helpful votes

“It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens. When he utters his voice there is a tumult of waters in the heavens, and he makes the mist rise from the ends of the earth. He makes lightning for the rain, and he brings forth the wind from his storehouses. Every man is stupid and without knowledge; every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols, for his images are false, and there is no breath in them. They are worthless, a work of delusion; at the time of their punishment they shall perish. Not like these is he who is the portion of Jacob, for he is the one who formed all things, and Israel is the tribe of his inheritance; the Lord of hosts is his name. ...

Jeremiah 7:33 ESV / 18 helpful votes

And the dead bodies of this people will be food for the birds of the air, and for the beasts of the earth, and none will frighten them away.

Isaiah 18:6 ESV / 18 helpful votes

They shall all of them be left to the birds of prey of the mountains and to the beasts of the earth. And the birds of prey will summer on them, and all the beasts of the earth will winter on them.

Isaiah 13:15 ESV / 18 helpful votes

Whoever is found will be thrust through, and whoever is caught will fall by the sword.

2 Timothy 4:18 ESV / 17 helpful votes

The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

2 Timothy 4:7 ESV / 17 helpful votes

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

2 Timothy 2:10 ESV / 17 helpful votes

Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

Philippians 4:6-7 ESV / 17 helpful votes

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

2 Corinthians 7:5 ESV / 17 helpful votes

For even when we came into Macedonia, our bodies had no rest, but we were afflicted at every turn—fighting without and fear within.

Romans 7:25 ESV / 17 helpful votes

Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

Romans 7:24 ESV / 17 helpful votes

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?

Romans 2:24 ESV / 17 helpful votes

For, as it is written, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

Psalm 76:3 ESV / 17 helpful votes

There he broke the flashing arrows, the shield, the sword, and the weapons of war. Selah

2 Samuel 22:35 ESV / 17 helpful votes

He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Deuteronomy 20:1 ESV / 17 helpful votes

“When you go out to war against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and an army larger than your own, you shall not be afraid of them, for the Lord your God is with you, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.

Revelation 2:7 ESV / 16 helpful votes

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’

Ephesians 6:17 ESV / 14 helpful votes

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,

1 Samuel 30:8 ESV / 14 helpful votes

And David inquired of the Lord, “Shall I pursue after this band? Shall I overtake them?” He answered him, “Pursue, for you shall surely overtake and shall surely rescue.”

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Nope.

I don’t know that you’re referring to?

It was a couple of weeks ago, but I remember seeing an article about the generational divide on information. The olds were getting it exclusively from tv. The young were savvy enough to get around the wall. Seems like we have seen that around here too. 

Check out this YT channel with various interviews of random Russians. Most of the younger ones appear to be more aware of the propaganda (and plenty just being oblivious youth) while it is the few older ones that skew into that hardline narrative. While there is a bunch of complicit acceptance it helps to understand that they are not all brainwashed.

The thing that stands out to me in this video is many of the younger ones are pretty clearly biting their tongue because they know there could be retribution for speaking out.

This is probably a really unpopular opinion but I'm beginning to think we lured Vlad into doing this.  There is no fucking way the Russians really can be this bad.  They have literally failed at every level and US Intel has won at every level. We are not that good

We are at least using the opportunity to reassert dominance on the world stage after a few years of our rep being in the shitter.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Please think about the logistics of this and consider the name of the source before you accept this as fact. This would require something like 50000 rail cars. And how would it be that the Russians could be so incredibly efficient in a forcible operation of larger than Dunkirk scale while abjectly failing at everything else?  Where is the manpower to threaten all these people on to all of those boxcars? Where are the trucks to transport them to all those depots?

As I've said before it could very well be that many of these people are ethnic Russians fearing reprisals. Such population transfers occur in every war of this nature -- Germans who'd live in Poland or the Sudetenland forever, Hungarians in Romania, Greeks in Turkey, Muslims in Hindu India and Hindus in Pakistan and Bangladesh....This war is creating refugees in both directions. To think the Ukrainians are not capable of atrocities is ludicrous. Every side in every war can and does commit atrocities.

Tales like this are why I wish we'd have allowed for a third thread with news only from more objective news agencies -- not outlets with names like Euromaidan PR. While in the right cause, Ukrainian propaganda is still propaganda, and some of you are losing your abilities to reason by wallowing in it. 

Some are losing their minds. Others are losing their souls.

There are professed devout Christians on this thread who also loudly and frequently (and accurately) denigrate American Evangelicals for their falsity of their faith and their rank and utter hypocrisy to heed the words of Jesus Christ and indeed act in ways more akin to Satan.

And these same people urge more and more death and even -- and this frankly disgusts me --  long for a way to have profited more from this war via investments in companies like Lockheed and Raytheon before the shit hit the fan.

Oh I get it. This is "muscular Christianity." Jesus wudn't no pussy. But he also wudn't no "let's stack as many corpses as we can before we have peace talks" kinda guy either. Or a "let's redetonate a nuclear waste site to kill as many people as possible" kind fellow either.

After all, in that case, it gets into this "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" scenario and Jesus is getting tired of picking through the bodies of dead young men, women and children and deciding who is worthy for secondary consideration by St. Peter at the gates and who is not. He is tired of rooting in the bins of our thrift store of terrible behavior. He didn't sign up to be our Messiah to be a deckhand on a crab-boat, throwing some of us overboard and others down in the hold. He wanted to guide us all back into a rich payday back in Dutch Harbor. 

I guess it's pretty rich for me -- a non-Christian -- to cite Christianity here, but I believe it is one strand among many in a truly humanist approach toward viewing the world. Contrary to what some of you might believe, I do believe Ukraine has every right to defend itself against this over aggression. I just disagree on causes and potential escalation. I fear the attitude of the warmongers here might be more powerful in certain circles than it is; I fear what eight years of Reagan's domestic propaganda has done to the minds of my contemporaries; I just want this to end the way Zelinskiy is saying he wants it to end. Some of you won't settle for that, and I say to you, by all means, go over there and find some way to volunteer. There might be some rear echelon job that will have you....Of course those are not much safer than frontline grunt these days, but surely the sanctity of Ukraine's borders and ability to have a pro-western or independent foreign policy is worth dying for, isn't it?

For Fuck's sake man.  Take that shit to the Cloak Room's red-headed step dog.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

http:// https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sanctioned-or-not-russians-abroad-find-their-money-is-toxic-2022-03-30/

"I am dealing with Russians who can't get out of hotels, students who have no money because credit cards are valueless," said Bob Amsterdam, a founding partner of Washington- and London-based law firm Amsterdam & Partners.

"Banks ... are refusing Russians bank accounts: they are closing their doors to Russians on nationality," said Amsterdam, who is based in London. "Leading law firms in the City have closed their doors to Russians in terms of nationality."

"Currently, everything that is Russian is toxic, which means that everyone is trying to be extremely, extremely careful in terms of what to do with Russian clients," said the lawyer, a dual Russian and British citizen, who runs a law firm in Zurich.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 686 said:

http:// https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sanctioned-or-not-russians-abroad-find-their-money-is-toxic-2022-03-30/

"I am dealing with Russians who can't get out of hotels, students who have no money because credit cards are valueless," said Bob Amsterdam, a founding partner of Washington- and London-based law firm Amsterdam & Partners.

"Banks ... are refusing Russians bank accounts: they are closing their doors to Russians on nationality," said Amsterdam, who is based in London. "Leading law firms in the City have closed their doors to Russians in terms of nationality."

"Currently, everything that is Russian is toxic, which means that everyone is trying to be extremely, extremely careful in terms of what to do with Russian clients," said the lawyer, a dual Russian and British citizen, who runs a law firm in Zurich.

giphy.gif

Also, did you read about all those daughters of Russian oligarchs who are being shut down in Insta?  It's, like, a real tragedy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, 686 said:

giphy.gif

Good.  That's the point.  I suggest they find there way to the local dairy farm and work as an illegal immigrant.

21 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Interesting take I hadn't thought of.  Wonder how many assets in various positions are in trouble or could be compromised over there?

21 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Stinks, but it's necessary.  Totally not trying to be glib, but this is war and they are casualties.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Only thing missing is a cigarette. She is from a far right group and she has been fighting since she was 16. Translation of what was being said......

Male: sad.

F: we can’t identify the other one

M: what’s happened to him? Was he hit by a tank?

F: yes, straight in the head. I can’t find his head…

Heroes never die. Rest in peace, Ali! Rest on peace all heroes who fight against for Ukraine’s freedom!

(She said: "we can't identify the other one".
That why she was looking for the head - to identify second soldier, not Ali.)

One thing for certain....you don't come across anything that pretty in the theater of war that often.

FOt0mK4XMAcLbVu?format=jpg&name=900x900

If I'm going to go in war, getting my head blown off by a tank round seems like a pretty good way.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Here in reality, this ends one way: Russia’s military capability is degraded and Russia runs out of money and it becomes more painful to prosecute the war than continue it.  And that requires Russian soldiers to die and Russian citizens to feel pain at home. I can wish for a peaceful outcome and so can Zelenskyy, but wish in one hand and shit in the other . . . .

QFT, and bolded for extra truth.

I do think this ultimately ends along some of the lines that Zelensky proposes.  But that only happens when Russia is mentally ready to make that deal.  And they aren't even close to ready.

I am in the fighting business, literally -- my entire professional life has been dedicated to people fighting and negotiating an end to those fights.  And I have lost count of how many times my client has asked "why won't the other guys just listen to reason?  Our suggested path is the reasonable one, and we all know that's exactly how this case is going to end?"  The answer is almost always "because they are not ready to listen to reason.  They will not listen to reason until we've bloodied their nose, probably several times.  When they've tried all the permutations of being unreasonable, and the only outcome is that it cost them lots of money and even costs them some of their positions in this lawsuit, THEN they will be ready to listen to reason.  And not a moment before."

Unreasonable people behave in predictable ways, across the world.  Russia is the unreasonable aggressor here.  They will almost certainly eventually listen to reason.  But not until they have expended a crippling amount of blood and treasure and their nose has been bloodied repeatedly.  Oh, and remember my other point that has also proven true: sometimes, that change in perspective doesn't come until the opposite side has spent a fortune, had their nose bloodied and legs chopped out from under them, and then regime change happens, and the new regime is willing to move forward with reasonable thinking.  That is often in play as well.

You can wish it were otherwise.  I often do.  My clients often do.  Our wishes have to date gone completely unfulfilled.  Just sharing with you a lifetime of data that you might want to consider, @MaybeACoordinator.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

QFT, and bolded for extra truth.

I do think this ultimately ends along some of the lines that Zelensky proposes.  But that only happens when Russia is mentally ready to make that deal.  And they aren't even close to ready.

I am in the fighting business, literally -- my entire professional life has been dedicated to people fighting and negotiating an end to those fights.  And I have lost count of how many times my client has asked "why won't the other guys just listen to reason?  Our suggested path is the reasonable one, and we all know that's exactly how this case is going to end?"  The answer is almost always "because they are not ready to listen to reason.  They will not listen to reason until we've bloodied their nose, probably several times.  When they've tried all the permutations of being unreasonable, and the only outcome is that it cost them lots of money and even costs them some of their positions in this lawsuit, THEN they will be ready to listen to reason.  And not a moment before."

Unreasonable people behave in predictable ways, across the world.  Russia is the unreasonable aggressor here.  They will almost certainly eventually listen to reason.  But not until they have expended a crippling amount of blood and treasure and their nose has been bloodied repeatedly.  Oh, and remember my other point that has also proven true: sometimes, that change in perspective doesn't come until the opposite side has spent a fortune, had their nose bloodied and legs chopped out from under them, and then regime change happens, and the new regime is willing to move forward with reasonable thinking.  That is often in play as well.

You can wish it were otherwise.  I often do.  My clients often do.  Our wishes have to date gone completely unfulfilled.  Just sharing with you a lifetime of data that you might want to consider, @MaybeACoordinator.

Good to see you Charlie Wilson, you would have loved the movie about your exploits in mid-east

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

If I'm going to go in war, getting my head blown off by a tank round seems like a pretty good way.

I mean, after seeing that video clip, I was gonna go with "after a wild night behind the sandbags with my sexy fellow combatant," but sure, I guess once we get that out of the way, the tank round to the dome works.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Unreasonable people behave in predictable ways, across the world.  Russia is the unreasonable aggressor here.  They will almost certainly eventually listen to reason.  But not until they have expended a crippling amount of blood and treasure and their nose has been bloodied repeatedly.  Oh, and remember my other point that has also proven true: sometimes, that change in perspective doesn't come until the opposite side has spent a fortune, had their nose bloodied and legs chopped out from under them, and then regime change happens, and the new regime is willing to move forward with reasonable thinking. 

Russia is not without a plan here, which is controlling the flow of energy (which played a huge part in engendering this conflict).  Moving massive amounts of natural gas is insanely expensive, so they threw their lots in with Russian controlled pipelines.  They are talking a big game and weaning off, but in doing so can only cripple their own economy

German rationing

They control close to 40% of the energy needs of Europe.  Let's not forget that.  Further, the ruble lately has been strengthening as more and more countries throw their lot in with Russia (China, India, Saudi, Nigeria, etc.) and the dollar as the global currency weakens.

It's of course not black/white either.  The Russian military being exposed as paper tigers for example and the obvious sanctions, but these can be rebuild and Russians can weather the sanctions as we all know much better than the west can.  We plunge into a global recession, which is a very real possibility, how does that bode for the support of Ukraine?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Flip side: Lot of Russians will be looking to make money on the side.  

This.  Wanna buy intel?  You can get it cheap right now.  Keep up the sanctions, and soon enough these guys will be ready to trade the nuclear codes for a couple of bags of coffee and a loaf of bread.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Further, the ruble lately has been strengthening as more and more countries throw their lot in with Russia (China, India, Saudi, Nigeria, etc.) and the dollar as the global currency weakens

You should read the wsj article from two days ago.  The rubble’s partial rebound is not the result of general strengthening of Russia’s economic outlook.  It is the result of their central bank limiting ruble selling and forcing rubble buying.  There is a manufactured demand for the currency.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GW Hayduke said:

You should read the wsj article from two days ago.  The rubble’s partial rebound is not the result of general strengthening of Russia’s economic outlook.  It is the result of their central bank limiting ruble selling and forcing rubble buying.  There is a manufactured demand for the currency.

Russia pivoted on their initial demands for Germany to ONLY pay in rubles.  The greater point is that Russia has Germany and many other EU nations over the barrel and they know it.  This, along with many other nations flocking to buy cheap crude, Russia has a clear plan here and it seems if it means having much of their military chewed up, so be it.  

Volker Wieland, a professor of economics at Frankfurt University and a member of the German council of economic advisers gave a dire warning that the EU will be facing double-digit inflation and a severe risk of recession is looming.  Pampered westerners have short memories and even shorter attention spans when the recessions/rationing hits close to home. 

10 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Yep. And if you’re just an Ivan who wants to go get dollars for his rubles, it’s going to be very hard to do that.  For any foreign company still active in Russia with rubles in the balance sheet-  that’s basically non-convertible at this point and it’s stuck in Russia. 

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not merely their treasure being emptied and their nose bloodied.  And I mean really bloodied - many thousands more dead Russian soldiers are needed before Russia stops murdering Ukrainian civilians, because apparently not enough Russian soldiers have died in combat for Putin to give any fucks.

It has to be public within Russian society.  It has to unavoidable.

Because right now, the Russian government is doing a damn fine job of suppressing news and shutting up family and friends of those Russian soldiers who have been killed.  And without easy access to Western social media (even with all of its faults), most Russians won’t be able to see the whole picture.  

Of course, with thousands more dead Russian soldiers, that could easily be twisted by Putin into a need to kill more Ukrainian civilians.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not merely their treasure being emptied and their nose bloodied.  And I mean really bloodied - many thousands more dead Russian soldiers are needed before Russia stops murdering Ukrainian civilians, because apparently not enough Russian soldiers have died in combat for Putin to give any fucks.

It has to be public within Russian society.  It has to unavoidable.

Because right now, the Russian government is doing a damn fine job of suppressing news and shutting up family and friends of those Russian soldiers who have been killed.  And without easy access to Western social media (even with all of its faults), most Russians won’t be able to see the whole picture.  

Of course, with thousands more dead Russian soldiers, that could easily be twisted by Putin into a need to kill more Ukrainian civilians.  

Yep.  This was my point earlier.  Full transparency with the Russian population.  Apparently many of the Russians boomers are resigned to regular tuning in to state run media.  It's the young generation that is the hope now.