Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Yeah I don't think a poll was sent out to Ukrainians or Russian citizens asking if they wanted war.

They have retroactively voted for a regime not too long ago....I am kind of foreseeing a Ceaucescu like downfall. He will go out to address the people and it will all seem to be going along swimmingly until one fucker hollers "Eat a dick, Vlady," and then the whole crowd will turn, while he stands their bewildered hearing the cheers turn to catcalls, until his security detail hustles him off the stage. Or maybe he doesn't address crowds at all because guys like him remember that day. Anyway, f he destroys those churches he will get got.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Yeah I don't think a poll was sent out to Ukrainians or Russian citizens asking if they wanted war.

That's not the point, the point is his intel failed miserably and it's costing him his reputation and the honor of Russia. That's what I mean by what Ukrainians wanted. He expected them to rollover.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

In every war there is propaganda and in this new age we live in we are exposed to more of it than ever. The first thing I ask about any Tweet coming from "official sources" in the Ukraine is "whose interest does this serve." Putin destroying that church out of spite would instantly ignite street protests bordering on riots all over Russia. If there is excommunication in the Orthodox church, he would jump to the front of the list. He would lose his mantle as savior of Holy Mother Russia. I mean, I wish a n----a would. It would be his death warrant.

I also wish Americans would learn some skepticism. 

I do too.  And yes, in war, the first casualty is the truth.

But even if you digest the information with the appropriate degree of skepticism, some themes emerge that appear to be rather accurate:

1 -- Russia is taking much higher casualties and destroyed material than anyone expected, and it's having a material affect on their progress.

2 -- Russia still has plenty of troops, weapons, and ammo, to put a serious hurting on Ukraine, and most certainly will.

3 -- That hurting will inevitably involve targeting of civilian areas, and the munitions that Russia has left are not very sophisticated or "smart."  It's old school "area attacks."

4 -- when all is said and done, there will be a shitload of dead civilians and a lot of destroyed civilian areas.

5 -- the economic sanctions and complete isolation of Russia are unprecedented, and will have a staggering affect across the board.

6 -- Putin is piece of dick.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Neither Hitler nor Stalin -- who pulled down some amazing churches to put the institution in its place -- destroyed it. Why on earth would Putin?

Stalin didn’t pull down churches, he just left them in ruins after the war (*in his newly occupied territory). I can’t speak for the ‘why’ of what Putin may do, but i would imagine if he did, it would be to express power.
In this case, I think it’s more likely that, say, Ukrainian defenders might have used churches as safe havens for military operations like resistance Iraqis, Taliban and Isis fighter. It’s frustrating AF because those are no go targets and against the rules. 
Given what we’ve seen, I would suspect Russians don’t give a fuck and are engaging combatants in those places leading to the reports. At least, that’s what I suspect at this time.

maybe its useful propaganda, it may just be the fog of war and misinformation from word of mouth or for real atrocities. I don’t think it really matters which at this particular point in the fighting.  

Edited by Doc Reeves

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The world will not accept a Ukraine that is half Russian, with all key areas Putin's.  It won't.  If that's Putin's line in the sand, then his forces are going to continue to bleed from an insurgency with some pretty effective fucking weapons.

And yes, the sanctions and ostracism will only get worse, not better, in that situation.

The Russian people are going to be isolated, frustrated, angry, and soon enough, hungry.  Putin's situation is unsustainable right now.  He MIGHT be able to negotiate for a solution that lets Russia keep Crimea, and allows for some sort of special autonomy and "protection" for Russian speakers in eastern Ukraine.  But I don't think he'd be satisfied with that, so I don't see an off ramp here.

The problem with the whole "russian-speakers" excuse (not that it isn't legitimate for other reasons, too) for the military takeovers of Luhansk and Donetsk is that all of Ukraine speaks russian (the whole country speaks russian) because that's what was forcibly taught in the schools when the USSR soviets ruled them.  So no, it's not legitimate for that Megalomaniac Putin to keep anything.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hermanator said:

I just looked outside to see if I could see the giant meteor incoming. Because that's far more likely an occurrence than those greedy bastards refusing someone's money. 

To be honest, most of these companies are cutting them off, not because of the invasion, but because whatever they are selling, Russians only have a worthless currency to pay them with.  It's just a good look to close up shop in Russia.  Happenstance  Don't give these companies too much credit.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I do too.  And yes, in war, the first casualty is the truth.

But even if you digest the information with the appropriate degree of skepticism, some themes emerge that appear to be rather accurate:

1 -- Russia is taking much higher casualties and destroyed material than anyone expected, and it's having a material affect on their progress.

2 -- Russia still has plenty of troops, weapons, and ammo, to put a serious hurting on Ukraine, and most certainly will.

3 -- That hurting will inevitably involve targeting of civilian areas, and the munitions that Russia has left are not very sophisticated or "smart."  It's old school "area attacks."

4 -- when all is said and done, there will be a shitload of dead civilians and a lot of destroyed civilian areas.

5 -- the economic sanctions and complete isolation of Russia are unprecedented, and will have a staggering affect across the board.

6 -- Putin is piece of dick.

Re: 5, I'm not even sure staggering is even in the same universe as what these sanctions and isolation are going to cause.  The humanitarian crisis that will have been created in Russia over the next 2 years is going to be borderline unfathomable.  

Let's not forget this either.  If this shit protracts into April/May, there ain't shit getting planted in Europe's Breadbasket.  Want to discuss the shitshow?  That is the end all be all shitshow.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

The problem with the whole "russian-speakers" excuse (not that it isn't legitimate for other reasons, too) for the military takeovers of Luhansk and Donetsk is that all of Ukraine speaks russian (the whole country speaks russian) because that's what was forcibly taught in the schools when the USSR soviets ruled them.  So no, it's not legitimate for that Megalomaniac Putin to keep anything.

I was sloppy in saying "Russian speakers."  I was referring to ethnic Russians -- that is, the material portion of the population in that area that actually DOES more closely identify with Russia and would like to be part of it.  We shouldn't pretend they don't exist.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Is everyone 100% sure that we don’t want to bring our AirPower into this conflict over the skies of Ukraine?

I 100% want to. This makes me an idiot. But this is to me like WW2…Ukraine is just the start of this shit imo if Putin remains in power and countries still buying oil from Russia. People would rightly say…don’t do that. Don’t be the country to start that. The truth is sanctions are only going to do so much and there is nothing to stop him from trying to do this again. I hate him and hope he dies but his goal is to be the former Soviet Union. He doesn’t care about his people or anyone else’s people. Watching this slaughter to me is like incomprehensible when you consider what Russia is and what they are after under Putin. Rather be on the right side of history than to say a few years from now…we could have stopped them in February 2022 but we did not. At some point there will be no choice. We have one now. Again, as has been established I’m a fooking idiot that derails threads…but that’s where I come down and I absolutely respect those who disagree with me and even understand their stance as being rational and reasonable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Pods said:

True, but also bitterly learned personal experience.

1 day of hard rain can cost 3 days of field work waiting for that shit to dry. It also makes it a bitch even walking around camp.

It's fucking miserable. Yet another major Russian failure. That would have been frozen a month ago and they could have rolled over it. 

gotta get the women's figure skating medal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Re: 5, I'm not even sure staggering is even in the same universe as what these sanctions and isolation are going to cause.  The humanitarian crisis that will have been created in Russia over the next 2 years is going to be borderline unfathomable.  

Let's not forget this either.  If this shit protracts into April/May, there ain't shit getting planted in Europe's Breadbasket.  Want to discuss the shitshow?  That is the end all be all shitshow.  

If we had forward-thinking leadership, we would be incentivizing American planting and strategic grain stores right now.  Because it may well be needed to save lives (and in the process, buy a metric shitton of goodwill for the USA - let's not forget to be cynical here).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Is everyone 100% sure that we don’t want to bring our AirPower into this conflict over the skies of Ukraine?

Ask yourself - do you want everyone in the world to die?  Those that don't perish in the initial blast will starve to death or waste away due to radiation poisoning.  If the answer to that question is no, and it is for me, then yes, we're 100% sure.  Nuclear weapons are terrible, awful things for a variety of reasons.  One of them is it creates a lot of latitude for nuclear powers to behave badly before another power is willing to end the world over it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I didn't know this was the bitch about posters you should put on ignore thread. Come on people there are threads specifically for that. 

Well, now we know who the boyfriend is who she met through Surly 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I hate him and hope he dies but his goal is to be the former Soviet Union. He doesn’t care about his people or anyone else’s people.

Communism has been very good for him and his buddies.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

but that’s where I come down and I absolutely respect those who disagree with me and even understand their stance as being rational and reasonable. 

Well, yes, because your stance is irrational and unreasonable.

In no way, shape, or form, is it a sane idea to open a frontal war between NATO/the US and Russia.  The downside -- which includes extinction of the human race -- is WAY too large for any upside to justify it.  We are doing about the most we can without doing that, and even then, what we're doing is risky.

AND....if you give your opponent what he wants, you probably should re-think what you're doing.  Putin will goad us into direct action, because that's what he WANTS.  We should not give it to him.  He is in the process of losing.  Patience is our best weapon.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Fuck that piece of shit. 

Video is interesting. First row in berets, no masks and with beards. Carrying standard weapons. Behind them what looks like regular Russian troops, with some heavy shit. So what? The Chechens sent in the first row to lead the Russians? 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If we had forward-thinking leadership, we would be incentivizing American planting and strategic grain stores right now.  Because it may well be needed to save lives (and in the process, buy a metric shitton of goodwill for the USA - let's not forget to be cynical here).

Oh, I guarantee the commodity markets are already sending the necessary signals to the Midwest even as I type this. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Keef said:

Ask yourself - do you want everyone in the world to die?  Those that don't perish in the initial blast will starve to death or waste away due to radiation poisoning.  If the answer to that question is no, and it is for me, then yes, we're 100% sure.  Nuclear weapons are terrible, awful things for a variety of reasons.  One of them is it creates a lot of latitude for nuclear powers to behave badly before another power is willing to end the world over it.

The youngins have no idea of what living during the Cold War with the USSR constant threat and what MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) means.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Oh, I guarantee the commodity markets are already sending the necessary signals to the Midwest even as I type this. 

Problem is #fuckChina is conveniently hoarding more than half of the worlds grain supplies.  Seems a little too prescient, but I digress......

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

So stop fighting, but move towards the thing that started the fighting in the first place?

Bold strategy Cotton

And coming from Erdogan of all people, just fucking weird.  It's Putin with a smaller dick, if that's possible.  Just fucking weird, I guess his upshot would be protection of some sort against an uprising?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So stop fighting, but move towards the thing that started the fighting in the first place?

Bold strategy Cotton

Erdogan and Xi should get a room. That's what you get when you're trying to please all the people all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Apple and Microsoft should push updates to all devices that brick them if they hit a Russian cell tower or have Russian IP address. 

I like this idea.  I really do.....except.....those devices are how people in Russia are getting information from non-state sources.  Their iPhones are among the most important weapons we have inside Russia.  Apple should push an update that allows easy access to non-state news sources.

2 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Ukraine should not agree to a ceasefire.  That would only allow Russia to gather itself, re-supply, and position for a new assault.  When your opponent is in any amount of disarray, press your "advantage."  Even though Russia has the technical advantage based on numbers, Ukraine's advantage as far as being able to inflict pain and chaos is at its highest -- it should press its advantage, not surrender it.

If there is to be a ceasefire, it should also involve a Russian withrdawal.  In other words, there will be no ceasefire.

• Hook 'Em 2