Tucker Carlson Tonight

atomheartbevo

8 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

In a row?

Well...I've found it best to keep the Surly attendees together in a group.  That way, they have lots to talk about.....and it minimizes the opportunity to embarrass us in front of the other guests.

tumblr_n7v5x505Jh1qd39tro1_1280.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

Kind of ironic how things turned out as a result of Reagan’s repeal of the Fairness Doctrine. I’ll bet ol’ Ronnie never saw it coming that the GOP would become a pro-Russia, anti-democracy party and openly promote Kremlin propaganda. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Kind of ironic how things turned out as a result of Reagan’s repeal of the Fairness Doctrine. I’ll bet ol’ Ronnie never saw it coming that the GOP would become a pro-Russia, anti-democracy party and openly promote Kremlin propaganda. 

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Hook 'Em 4

The only good thing about Tucker's Magical Journey through the paradise that is Russia is that it reminded me that I hadn't watched Michael Palin's trips through Russia in a few years. Tucker ain't shit until he has a Lenin impersonator guide him around town.

22 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Just imagine this happening in Germany during the WW2 era. That generation would have treated this traitorous cunt like he should be but instead you have MAGATS that are slurping this shit up.

22 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

During WWII, yes, but just before WWII started.....counterpoint:

image.png.ace982354ac36a9cd58ebdfeedbc4ae4.png

So I'm just about halfway thorough this book...

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31735862224&dest=usa&ref_=ps_ggl_17730880232&cm_mmc=ggl-_-US_Shopp_Trade_10to20-_-product_id=COM9780593444511USED-_-keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAz8GuBhCxARIsAOpzk8yicqBkEd6b2GNbqX8ah4YmSxar6Cz_qfYJVYKGaQYvrxjdHrDcKmMaAv0MEALw_wcB

It's eerily fascinating how close this is to our current history

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah except half the country is being forced to play the stupid game we didn’t sign up for. 

Write this on my tombstone:

"being forced to play the stupid game we didn’t sign up for."

Being married.

Having kids.

Living in a democracy.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Say what you want about Reagan, and I know y'all have plenty of opinions.  The man loved this nation and was unmistakably condemning of Russia.  He tacitly teed some some of this shit-show up, but he would be abjectly horrified at how many Americans are siding with Russia and Putin.  How Republicans can say with a straight face, and no sense of irony, that Reagan's party wouldn't support our efforts in Ukraine would be even more insane to him than it is to us, and that's fucking saying something.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah except half the country is being forced to play the stupid game we didn’t sign up for. 

everybody seriously, stop saying/writing/thinking "HALF."  It just validates them.  That's all it fucking does.  It's 35% of the adult population.  So in Trumper maths, that's 15% less.  In real maths, it's ~43% less.  They're not half.  We use that to emphasize the disease, but in the end-it just makes the think there's more of them than there are.  And there already shitty enough with numbers (TWO WEEKS!) that we shouldn't add to the fire by saying they're half of America.  STAHP!

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Say what you want about Reagan, and I know y'all have plenty of opinions.  The man loved this nation and was unmistakably condemning of Russia.  He tacitly teed some some of this shit-show up, but he would be abjectly horrified at how many Americans are siding with Russia and Putin.  How Republicans can say with a straight face, and no sense of irony, that Reagan's party wouldn't support our efforts in Ukraine would be even more insane to him than it is to us, and that's fucking saying something.

everybody seriously, stop saying/writing/thinking "HALF."  It just validates them.  That's all it fucking does.  It's 35% of the adult population.  So in Trumper maths, that's 15% less.  In real maths, it's ~43% less.  They're not half.  We use that to emphasize the disease, but in the end-it just makes the think there's more of them than there are.  And there already shitty enough with numbers (TWO WEEKS!) that we shouldn't add to the fire by saying they're half of America.  STAHP!

Half the voting population then?  70 million at least. 

Our frustration with non-voters aside, I don't want them conflating that 100 million who don't cast ballots as being on their side.  They're 75mm, 35% of the adult population and they should sit there in their wrongess and feel alone and badly about it!  Yes, it's a disturbing proportion of the actively voting populace.  But they are not the half of the country they think they are.  IMHO, it just further validates their bullshit.  I dunno, I'm trying to look at the bright side.  It sucks that more people don't turn out against him, but at least they're not turning out for him.  Part of me working on my own shit, trying to see the brighter side of shit.  And yes, I fully acknowledge the hypocrisy in the statement as I actively engage in fanning flames to get these people to murder to another.  We all substitute one high for another at times.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/16/2024 at 10:20 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

I fucking hate him so much.  I’m thinking about people like Anna Politkovskaya, who was murdered as a birthday president for Putin. I’m thinking of Evan Gershkovich, rotting away in jail and Alsu Kurmasheva held in house arrest away from her family.  Real journalists, and this piece of excrement dares to compare himself to them. 

I hate what this is doing to me, but Ukraine and Russia and these people are radicalizing me against other Americans. 

I’m with you. (We’re in CR, right? Right)

I have been emailing my (Trumpy) congressman about Ukraine, and getting the most bullshit excuses for not supporting them. Same with his GOP primary foes. 

The real reason they don’t support Ukraine? Because Trump says not to, and they fear him. Trump doesn’t want to support Ukraine because he hopes it will collapse and he can campaign on that (he may be disappointed to see who that gets tagged on). Plus, Zelensky didn’t back him in 2019, and Trump’s prime motive is settling scores. 

I have been a Republican for 40 years and I think I’m an independent now. I thought in 2016, I don’t have to vote for him, and this will pass. In 2020, I thought- “well, this is over and we can get back to normal”. Now? I’m still conservative but I just can’t say that I belong to a party led by Trump, Johnson and Gaetz. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ve concluded that I can’t see myself voting R in my lifetime absent some major reset. And at the moment, the situation is critical enough that voting D and supporting D candidates is important, even if the GOP individual is not a crazy— the GOP needs to be smashed and their premises be soundly rejected.  It’s the only way. 

I’ve moved farther to the left on a lot of things, I think that the Trump revealed the fundamental cruelty at the heart of much of what they are pushing.   Beyond that, being a conservative means conserving something…namely, the democratic and constitutional order.  We aren’t fighting over “politics” any more, we are deciding if we want to live under laws and government by the people or not. 

That’s what the attitude towards NATO and alliances is all about, and the friendship towards autocrats.  Belonging to something like NATO helps to knit the country into the fabric of a democratic community, where commitments and rules and obligations matter.  That’s why they hate it so much, it’s not about money even a little bit, or about focusing on China.

This sordid treatment of Ukraine goes deeper than political opportunism.  They are willing to side with our enemies BECAUSE it makes America weaker. A democratic America needs to fail, needs to be insecure, needs to clamor for their autocratic solutions. 

I don’t think it’s that nefarious. I think it’s as simple as the party is led by a vain, narcissist, lazy with a short attention span. 

I blame the party for submitting to him. Something remarkable happened. The GOP used to be the party of the college educated. Now, the Democrats are. The GOP voter base is now the less educated working male. The Republican party leadership has accepted and even embraced that. It’s a cult of personality now, and the personality is pretty crappy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ve concluded that I can’t see myself voting R in my lifetime absent some major reset. And at the moment, the situation is critical enough that voting D and supporting D candidates is important, even if the GOP individual is not a crazy— the GOP needs to be smashed and their premises be soundly rejected.  It’s the only way. 

I’ve moved farther to the left on a lot of things, I think that the Trump revealed the fundamental cruelty at the heart of much of what they are pushing.   Beyond that, being a conservative means conserving something…namely, the democratic and constitutional order.  We aren’t fighting over “politics” any more, we are deciding if we want to live under laws and government by the people or not. 

That’s what the attitude towards NATO and alliances is all about, and the friendship towards autocrats.  Belonging to something like NATO helps to knit the country into the fabric of a democratic community, where commitments and rules and obligations matter.  That’s why they hate it so much, it’s not about money even a little bit, or about focusing on China.

This sordid treatment of Ukraine goes deeper than political opportunism.  They are willing to side with our enemies BECAUSE it makes America weaker. A democratic America needs to fail, needs to be insecure, needs to clamor for their autocratic solutions. 

1980 GOP Base- Reagan Revolution! Victory is ours! 

1980 "left"- you're voting against your own interests

2000 GOP Base- Fuckin Lumbergh wants me to come in this Saturday 

2000 "left"- you're voting against your own interests

2020 GOP Base- Woke Migrant Vax Fags!

2020- Affordable insulin

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

1980 GOP Base- Reagan Revolution! Victory is ours! 

1980 "left"- you're voting against your own interests

2000 GOP Base- Fuckin Lumbergh wants me to come in this Saturday 

2000 "left"- you're voting against your own interests

2020 GOP Base- Woke Migrant Vax Fags!

2020- Affordable insulin

image.gif.7212ffaf0ad3f4d3e41b9c130ae0d6af.gif

On 2/16/2024 at 2:13 PM, Brisketexan said:

In some fairness to me, 1) a menu of frito pie and beer ain't that pricey, and 2) I already had a fair amount of beer, so just had to supplement it.  We also made spiced cider with rum (wife bought the rum) and as for wine, enough people bring wine that we just serve that.  It's not a fancy shindig by any stretch of the imagination.  Also, we have now reached an age where the number of heavy drinkers is significantly diminished.  Most people just have a drink or two, a lot of people didn't even drink booze (so we had some sparkling water laid in as well, I don't know how much that cost as the wife bought it).  And the wife bought s'more supplies, don't know how much they were, but that's kinda an extra treat, and not that pricey.  Maybe $500-$700 in consumables, all-in.  It's a lot of folks favorite party of the year, because it's strictly for the hell of it, and it's super casual and low key.

I guess my invitation got lost in the mail. 

• Haha 1

I don’t think it’s that nefarious. I think it’s as simple as the party is led by a vain, narcissist, lazy with a short attention span. 

I blame the party for submitting to him. Something remarkable happened. The GOP used to be the party of the college educated. Now, the Democrats are. The GOP voter base is now the less educated working male. The Republican party leadership has accepted and even embraced that. It’s a cult of personality now, and the personality is pretty crappy. 

It might not be nefarious for Trump, although I think he’s a truly terrible human, but he’s become a useful idiot for some truly villainous people that he’s willingly aligned himself with because it gives him what he wants — money and power. He doesn’t care about the cost.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

My political evolution, highly condensed 

1980s: Can’t vote but love America and Reagan and Bush and hate the Russians and Dukakis and the Democrats suck

1990s-2000: I can vote and the Clintons fucked us and oh thank God Gore lost.

2003: Iraq?  Really?  Fuck this, I’m done for now, and will sit out/vote 3rd party while the GOP realigns a little

2008: Sarah Palin?  Really?  Fuck this, I like John McCain on some things, but I will keep sitting out/voting 3rd party and hoping the GOP gets its shit together.

2012: The world didn’t end with Obama winning.  Not a big fan of Romney.  Still staying away from the GOP

2016, 2020, 2024: The GOP must lose. By a lot.  I’m never coming back.

Better late than never.  Talking about me, pretty much along this timeline, esp re Iraq.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, statsman said:

A big chunk of the party and growing is all in on a prior attempt to overturn a legal election and install their guy.  They are on board with him saying he’ll act like a dictator.  They cheer when he says he will leave alliances.  They expend their most vigorous efforts trying to get fewer people to vote.

I dunno, it seems EXACTLY that nefarious. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

A big chunk of the party and growing is all in on a prior attempt to overturn a legal election and install their guy.  They are on board with him saying he’ll act like a dictator.  They cheer when he says he will leave alliances.  They expend their most vigorous efforts trying to get fewer people to vote.

I dunno, it seems EXACTLY that nefarious. 

Of course,  this was all predicted by Bush v Gore

On 2/17/2024 at 11:22 PM, atomheartbevo said:

My political evolution, highly condensed 

1980s: Can’t vote but love America and Reagan and Bush and hate the Russians and Dukakis and the Democrats suck

1990s-2000: I can vote and the Clintons fucked us and oh thank God Gore lost.

2003: Iraq?  Really?  Fuck this, I’m done for now, and will sit out/vote 3rd party while the GOP realigns a little

2008: Sarah Palin?  Really?  Fuck this, I like John McCain on some things, but I will keep sitting out/voting 3rd party and hoping the GOP gets its shit together.

2012: The world didn’t end with Obama winning.  Not a big fan of Romney.  Still staying away from the GOP

2016, 2020, 2024: The GOP must lose. By a lot.  I’m never coming back.

I ditched the GOP a bit sooner than you did, but am ashamed to admit that I voted for Dole in 96 and W in 2000. It was mostly momentum from growing up in a conservative / GOP loyalist family with an extreme pro-life bent. The Iraq War and the Republican-backed christofascist war on science pushed me firmly away from the right. Everything since only confirms that I made the correct choice, and that I should have made it much earlier. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Nothing to be ashamed about for voting for Bob Dole.  About as patriotic as patriotic gets.  

Only time I ever carried a literal party card in my wallet was for the Libertarian Party, even hosted an event for Gary Johnson in 2016 'cause I just didn't have the imagination to see what was coming.  As you can tell, I have a pretty sick imagination, so if I didn't see it, imagine the dementedness of it all when Lobo is the voice of reason.  

But I've pulled D ballots and R ballots and voted in every election cycle, even the boring local ones.  I never understood how people can just adhere to one party or another every single cycle.  And then a few years ago, I finally came to accept who I was and what was in my blood.  I am here to punish people.  I use my vote to hurt the other candidate.  My day-job is a glorified mercenary.  I'm either the first person you want to see come to your aide or the last face you ever want to see.  I thought I'd grow up, probably like Tucker Carlson did, to help save America.  But in the end, he's just working towards evil.  And I'm going to fight to eradicate it.  My only reservation is it probably shouldn't feel this good.  

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

I voted for Dole in 96 and W in 2000

It will be interesting when historians are able to quantify how many people the Rupert Murdoch / Roger Ailes media project ended up alienating, like it did for you, vs. the number of people it brainwashed into uncritically supporting the GOP.

• Hook 'Em 1

Would it surprise you to hear that the National Review Editors’ podcast was mocking and laughing at Carlson, too?

”Poor Tucker! What misfortune that Putin killed that guy after Carlson tried to show that Putin was a reasonable guy and not a monster. How could he have avoided that? Other than by recognizing Putin is a monster and not shilling for him?”

(Noted podcast had the old style conservatives only). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lmao the first election I really can vividly remember was 96 and Dole losing to Clinton. My parents are Republicans, so obviously I was a Republican back then and (this is maybe the straightest thing I've ever done) I was so upset about Dole losing that I wrote him a letter at school telling him not to be sad and to try again next time.

Edited by safe sex