Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-to-congress-its-none-of-your-business-if-i-break-the-law?ref=home

Donald Trump thinks Congress has as much clout as a potted plant.

William Consovoy, the president’s personal lawyer, told a federal judge on Tuesday that Congress was powerless to hold the president’s feet to the fire, and that the Watergate and Whitewater hearings exemplified congressional overreach. As for a House committee’s subpoena to Trump’s accountants, Rep. Elijah Cummings and all those damn Democrats might as well pound sand. The Oval Office was out of bounds for congressional oversight—even in the face of presidential corruption.  

Hail Caesar! Hello praetorian. As Consovoy saw things: “That is law enforcement… Are you complying with federal law?… I don’t think that’s the proper subject of investigation as to the president.”

According to Cosovoy’s Kafkaesque syllogism, Congress is barred from investigating the president because that is a proper function of law enforcement, not Congress, and in turn, law enforcement may not investigate President Trump because he is immune from prosecution.

Confused? That’s the point.

It’s a theory

After the court hearing, our constitutional democracy stands at the precipice of being transformed into an updated version of ancient Rome, helmed by a leader who demands unaccountability for himself and tribute from the rest of us. As for Congress in this script, think part rubber stamp, part tax collector, and part tourist attraction.

Spoiler

Who cares if the Constitution gives Congress pride of place, and enumerates its powers in Article I? In Trumpworld numbers don’t matter unless Trump says they do, until he doesn’t. Just like those financials he gave to Deutsche Bank back in the day.

Exaggeration? Not really.

When Sen. Lindsey Graham, the one-time floor manager of Bill Clinton’s impeachment, tells Don Jr., the president’s son, that it’s OK for him to defy a committee subpoena, that’s pretty much where we are at. According to the Trumpian playbook, this president, in particular, and his royal household stand way above the law. Rules and obeisance are for us saps, us lesser mortals.

Just ask Javanka, they’ll gladly tell you, and they do. If Jared weren’t married to the boss’s daughter it’s unlikely that he would be anywhere near the West Wing or holding a security clearance. How many times does it take to get an SF-86 right? Yes, we also saw this movie before—when Jared’s dad, Charlie Kushner, bought his boy a Harvard admissions ticket.

This is all brand new terrain. Prior presidents tussled with Congress and prosecutors, and claimed executive privilege, not wholesale immunity from scrutiny. In the end, they understood that America and the Constitution were far larger than them.

Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton both offered sworn testimony under oath in criminal proceedings, Reagan about Iran-Contra, and Clinton about Monica Lewinsky. Admittedly in the case of Clinton, testifying truthfully and testifying were two different things.  

But it doesn’t end there. Abraham Lincoln met behind closed doors with the House Judiciary Committee concerning alleged White House leaks. Woodrow Wilson opened himself up to congressional questioning over the Treaty of Versailles. Gerald Ford faced congressional music over his pardon of Richard Nixon.

Once upon a time, presidents and Republicans paid more than lip service to the notion of Congress actually being a co-equal branch of government.

Indeed, during the Clinton presidency Newt Gingrich fancied himself as the second coming of William Pitt, the 18th century British prime minister, and envisioned government driven by Congress, not the White House. For good measure, Gingrich even gave a big juicy thumbs-up to impeaching Clinton for obstruction of justice.

Fast forward. When Barack Obama was president, Gingrich actually intimated that our commander-in-chief was King John reborn, the English monarch who was brought to heel at Runnymede by England’s barons (think Congress) and the Magna Carta (think the Constitution).

Fifteen years after Gingrich resigned from Congress in disgrace, he explained to us, “King John believed that he governed by divine right, that God had given him power to make law. He was literally above the law and able to define it. According to this theory, there were no limits on his authority.”

Funny, but those same words could be applied to the incumbent, but not by Gingrich. These days, Callista, Gingrich’s third wife, is the US ambassador to the Vatican and the president’s personal lawyers are telling a federal court that the congressional investigations into Watergate and Whitewater were likely illegal.  

In Gladiator, we see Commodus, the oft-unhinged emperor who would have definitely gotten into watching WWE and giving Vince McMahon the shearing of his life, jailing his opponents in the Senate.

It’s the unlikely movie of our times, as Trump would have the Department of Justice prosecute his political adversaries.

“Lock her up” was more than a campaign slogan. For Trump, it’s l’État, c’est moi—with America as a second scoop of chocolate ice cream to be devoured whole.

Sean,

We are SO CLOSE to selling our 1,000,000th red Make America Great Again hat!

President Trump is so excited about this incredible milestone that he has HAND-SIGNED the 1 MILLIONTH red MAGA hat at his desk in the White House, and he wants YOU to have it.

You could be a part of HISTORY.

Contribute ANY AMOUNT to be automatically entered to win the 1,000,000th red MAGA hat HAND-SIGNED by President Trump. >>

CONTRIBUTE $20

CONTRIBUTE $15

CONTRIBUTE $10

CONTRIBUTE $5

CONTRIBUTE OTHER AMOUNT

Your signed red MAGA hat will be personally hand-delivered to you by President Trump himself at a Trump Rally. You’ll also get to take a picture with him!

All you have to do is contribute any amount and you will be automatically entered to win the signed hat AND a chance to get your picture taken with President Trump.

Contribute ANY amount by 11:59 PM TONIGHT to be automatically entered to win.

Thank you,

Team Trump 2020

Dignity. Always dignity.

I took $20 out of Roma Jr's college fund to donate and get my chance at that hat. Actually, that was 40% of Junior's college fund which was a check from his liberal aunt on the wife's side. My boy ain't going to be no elite fag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Civilians who don't serve don't need to be granted citizenship, do they?

Just to put a finer point on it, the first line of the article states:

Immigrants serving in the U.S. military are being denied citizenship at a higher rate than foreign-born civilians, according to new government data that has revealed the impact of stricter Trump administration immigration policies on service members.

Guest Lobo

I'm not exactly sure how removing immigrant families from public housing is going to bring back Coal Jobs...but I am damn sure watching with great vigor and interest.  I have seen a thing or two in my day, but this is an absolute "must see"  

Guest Lobo
6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Fuck Yeah!

I've been joking for years about what would happen if Sean Hannity and Alec Baldwin hate-fucked and made a baby.  I didn't actually think that would happen and it would grow up instantly to be a televangelist that literally looks like the both of them fucked.  

20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You just described the typical day for every lawyer.

If what you are eliciting from the court is "yeah, no, you fucking idiot"....you ain't having a good day as a lawyer.  There ARE lawyers who have days like that.  Most of the rest of the bar and the bench shakes their heads when they show up in court.

If you are willing to put your life on the line for the red, white and blue it should be auto-gotdamned citizenship. No ifs and or buts about it. 

Assuming an honorable discharge and completion of the full contract (active and reserve), I agree 100%.  I will call my congressman and senators about this.  I suggest everyone who agrees do the same.

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I'm sure all the Toby Keith starter kits will be up in arms about this seeing as how it's all 'Merica all the time with them.

Wait, nevermind. Troops are the wrong color. What a fucking demented and depraved world we live in. These folks are willing to put their life on the line for a country they want to call home only to run into this gutless, bone spur faking coward who never spent one minute of his entire worthless life being anything other than self-serving who now wants to make it even harder for them to attain citizenship.

If you are willing to put your life on the line for the red, white and blue it should be auto-gotdamned citizenship. No ifs and or buts about it. 

Fuck yes

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Yes

Beat me to it. 

The federalist society is most definitely an attempt by a certain group of “conservatives” to use the courts to get what they want, which is essentially to get paid, despite all the rhetoric and bullshit about certain “principles.”

Nihilism at its finest. They wantz the moooney Lebowski!