Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What does a modern day Republican stand for?  

Beyond owning the libs and taxes bad, I don’t think they even know anymore. 

They don't, other than if the libs hate it, we are good for it.

Seriously,  going back to the election of 2008 (and yes, that's arbitrary, but for this post, let's just go back 10 years).  What did the Republican Party stand for in 2008, and what did they stand for in 2008 that they don't even care about in 2019?

For the demonic liberals of the world, in 2008 they wanted, in no particular order (and I'm sure I'm leaving something out):  better/cheaper healthcare, reign in prescription drug costs, the growing gap between CEO's/the proletariat, something to do about the climate, some kind of minimum wage stability, etc.  These are roughly the same positions that the Democratic Party in 2019 are interested in.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0

9 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

They don't, other than if the libs hate it, we are good for it.

Seriously,  going back to the election of 2008 (and yes, that's arbitrary, but for this post, let's just go back 10 years).  What did the Republican Party stand for in 2008, and what did they stand for in 2008 that they don't even care about in 2019?

For the demonic liberals of the world, in 2008 they wanted, in no particular order (and I'm sure I'm leaving something out):  better/cheaper healthcare, reign in prescription drug costs, the growing gap between CEO's/the proletariat, something to do about the climate, some kind of minimum wage stability, etc.  These are roughly the same positions that the Democratic Party in 2019 are interested in.  

The Republican Party cares about lowering the financial burdens placed on the upper class at the expense of the middle of lower classes, mainly through lowering taxes on wealthy individuals and doing away with corporate regulation. That's it.

They pretend to care about all of the other hot-button conservative issues in an effort to get votes from a shrinking voter base. They use any means necessary to do this, from voter oppression to race based fear mongering. It is cynical, but it seems to work in a rhythm that follows natural political cycles. I keep thinking the middle and lower class voters who vote for Republicans will have the scales removed from their eyes and see the Republican Party for what it really is, but I'm not hopeful.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 2

They don't, other than if the libs hate it, we are good for it.   Seriously,  going back to the election of 2008 (and yes, that's arbitrary, but for this post, let's just go back 10 years).  What did the Republican Party stand for in 2008, and what did they stand for in 2008 that they don't even care about in 2019?  

I remember W wanting to fix Social Security. I also feel like Gore and he had very similar ideas about more individual choice.  

EDIT: I went back to 2000. My bad.

https://youtu.be/Q3dvbM6Pias

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Are there any intelligent republicans on the Internet?

As a former Republican, I’m constantly embarrassed by the level of intellect displayed by the right. 

Well it really is the anti-science party now, so starting there you're going to have some problems.

Personally I wouldn't call myself a former Republican.  I've voted Republican and in theory I would again.  But it would have to be someone really reasonable, who didn't hide behind the church and always believed in science first, and most of all someone who never supported or had anything to do with Trump or his administration.

...Shit, I guess I'm a former Republican.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Are there any intelligent republicans on the Internet?

As a former Republican, I’m constantly embarrassed by the level of intellect displayed by the right. 

The height of Republican intellectualism is Ben Shapiro and Dinesh D'Souza. That's the best they've got.

8 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

fear, unfounded victimization and anger, lack of accountability, getting theirs at the expense of everything and everyone else, complete and utter lack of moral compass, racism, the enjoyment of cruelty and the suffering of anyone not on their “team,” hypocrisy, the hatred of anyone who looks or thinks “different,” the use of the state to impose shitty “religious beliefs” upon others, and selling out the country to own the libs.  

The Weeds podcast had a point the past week that I keep thinking back on. Trump opened a can of worms with regards to fear of immigrants, and channeled that into wall support. The point being made was that it's easy to tap into fear if you choose to, it's damn near impossible to control what that fear will eventually lead to. Which is why we won't know the full effect of what Trump has done until well past his presidency. The wall may not be enough at some point in the future, and candidates to the right of Trump will emerge with more radical proposals. 

It's possible the Weeds were discussing the fear of the unknown post-Trump, but I'm inclined to agree with their pessimism on this point. 

4 minutes ago, retread said:

R core beliefs

I got mine
Real threats/problems are fake or are ignored
Minor issues elevated to national emergencies for political convenience

This.  The GOP is loading up the Titanic’s lifeboats with booze they stole from the bar, while blaming the hull breach on the poor folks stuck in steerage.  Their platform is basically grab-what-you-can-and-fuck-everyone-else.  Republicans are outraged when some Lib burns a flag; meanwhile they’re taking a torch to the whole country.  

It’s a selfish, deluded, fanatical party of lies. 

• Like 5

Not even “taxes bad.”  They’re fine with the trump tariffs.  It’s solely owning the libs.

There’s another sad layer to the owning the libs piece - it’s a self-fulfilling delusion. We know that maybe half of the country is liberals. Say a certain Trump policy is so stupid that 80% oppose it. Well, that just means that 80% of the people are now libs, and we just owned them! Sweet lib tears!
“Libs” is defined as “anyone who is ever critical of Trump.” Whoever a Trump policy sets off is magically transformed into a “lib,” even if their reasons for thinking that it’s stupid are utterly conservative.
It’s a Möbius strip of stupidity.

I just watched the Flat Earth documentary on Netflix.  It was light, well made and gave them enough rope to show who they really are.  Which for the most part is just misguided people looking for some friends, just wanting to find a connection somewhere.  

But the crossover from the flat earthers to Trumpkins is undeniable.  That venn diagram has a large overlap and a small section between the two.  In the words of Mitch Hedberg, if the diagram was a pie chart for what people would do if they found a million dollars, that in between would be the donate it to charity slice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I didn’t vote for Trump.  And I regret that now.  I think he’s doing a very good job.  I will vote for him in 2020. 

And he’s got a better than average shot of winning.  

No surprise that you'd support a traitor. Maybe a name change to "Donnie's Sack?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rockymtnhigh said:

So im to blame when the company I work for wants all the cheap labor they can get, and they don't mind using loopholes in our laws to get it?  That's pretty rich...

Are you suggesting that laws intended to prevent the wealthy from exploiting American workers can be a good thing?

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I don’t know.  This guy is exceptionally stupid.  It’s fun to watch him constantly make an ass of himself.  

/I’ll allow it.  

If a grown man argues with a 2-year-old, who looks sillier? The 2-year-old who will never learn? Or the grown man wasting his time arguing with a 2-year-old thinking he's totally pwning him?

Feeding trolls is never the right answer. This board loves to feed trolls. If a troll wants to get fed, this buffet is open 24/7. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If a grown man argues with a 2-year-old, who looks sillier? The 2-year-old who will never learn? Or the grown man wasting his time arguing with a 2-year-old thinking he's totally pwning him?

Feeding trolls is never the right answer. This board loves to feed trolls. If a troll wants to get fed, this buffet is open 24/7. 

Oh no...don't argue with them in earnest.  Just lob grenades and laugh from the sidelines.   It's not cool to lob grenades at 2 yo's...it's very cool to do so with trolls.  

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You think there's a difference?

Oh yeah, for sure.  If you're stupid enough to get entangled in a real argument with the obvious troll is obvious type... that's on you, to be clear, we all suffer for it.  To simply make fun of some bozo on his way to going 100 under?  That's all fun and games. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I didn’t vote for Trump.  And I regret that now.  I think he’s doing a very good job.  I will vote for him in 2020. 

And he’s got a better than average shot of winning.  

So you would vote for someone who takes the word of Putin over his own intelligence services?

Just wanting some clarification here.

Seems legit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-22/kushner-cos-said-to-seek-federal-loan-in-biggest-deal-in-decade?srnd=premium

Kushner Cos., the real estate firm owned by the family of President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, has sought financing from federally-owned lenders for its biggest purchase in a decade.

The company has been in talks with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac about a loan for a $1.15 billion purchase of apartments in Maryland and Virginia, according to two people familiar with the discussions, who asked not to be named discussing a private transaction.

Such a deal would increase Kushner Cos.’ exposure to government-backed mortgages at the same time its former chief executive officer is one of the most powerful people in the White House. Jared Kushner divested ownership in many of the company’s assets to close family members when he joined the government. Kushner Cos. had more than $500 million in loans from Fannie and Freddie at that time. Government-backed financing on this latest deal could more than double that figure.

7 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

fear, unfounded victimization and anger, lack of accountability, getting theirs at the expense of everything and everyone else, complete and utter lack of moral compass, racism, the enjoyment of cruelty and the suffering of anyone not on their “team,” hypocrisy, the hatred of anyone who looks or thinks “different,” the use of the state to impose shitty “religious beliefs” upon others, and selling out the country to own the libs.  

And this is what we're told to reason with? If you have to meet them halfway, where the hell is that?  I don't see it working until the olds die.  

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So you would vote for someone who takes the word of Putin over his own intelligence services?

Just wanting some clarification here.

It's a troll.  Do you really think it sat out the last election and didn't vote but will now vote for a president surrounding himself with traitors? Yes on both accounts.  Why talk with shitbags when you know they're full of shit?   Just ignore and hope they can't reproduce.  

Edited by Mdhorn

8 hours ago, tchookem said:

I remember W wanting to fix Social Security. I also feel like Gore and he had very similar ideas about more individual choice.  

EDIT: I went back to 2000. My bad.

https://youtu.be/Q3dvbM6Pias

W's "fix" for social security would have been a massive windfall for the financial services industry and anyone holding stocks prior to the change.  suddenly a huge chunk of america's payroll gets crammed into the stock and bond market.  constant stock of assets meets a huge increase in demand = soaring prices. 

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

W's "fix" for social security would have been a massive windfall for the financial services industry and anyone holding stocks prior to the change.  suddenly a huge chunk of america's payroll gets crammed into the stock and bond market.  constant stock of assets meets a huge increase in demand = soaring prices. 

Are you saying a Republican was advocating for a policy that would help the already fabulously wealthy?

No way.

Edited by David Dennison