Phenomenal: Police Bodycam Shows Officer Shot By Friendly Fire

PilotsError

Pussies were fleeing from an "aggressive" dog.  Police chief is a fucking moron, and of course the dipshit cop wasn't charged.  You or I would be doing a minimum of 20.

Lafayette, IN – The Lafayette Police Department (LPD) has released bodycam footage showing the moment a female officer was shot in the shoulder by her partner as they were fleeing from an aggressive dog (video below).

Lafayette Police Officer Lane Butler has been hospitalized since late Tuesday morning, when Officer Aaron Wright discharged his weapon as they were running out of an apartment.

She is “recovering in stable condition,” the department tweeted on Thursday morning.

The LPD shooting review board has determined that the shooting was an accident, WTHR reported.

“[It] was not negligence, carelessness or otherwise reckless behavior,” Lafayette Police Chief Patrick Flannelly said during a press conference. “It was accidental.”

The incident occurred at approximately 10:50 a.m., as Officer Butler, Officer Aaron Wright, and Officer Kurt Sinks were responding to a criminal mischief complaint at an apartment on North 9th Street, WLFI reported.

The officers told the resident that they had received a report that a wanted subject was inside, and requested permission to check the apartment.

“The homeowner was very cooperative and allowed officers to search her apartment to show them the wanted person was not there,” LPD said in a press release on Tuesday.

Before they entered the home, the woman secured her “very large dog” in a cage, according to the release.

But as the officers were searching the apartment, the dog managed to break free from the kennel.

“[This] caused the officers to flee the apartment to avoid a confrontation with the animal,” LPD said.

Officer Sinks’ bodycam showed him running out of the apartment with Officer Butler directly in front of him, when a gunshot rang out and debris scattered in front of him.

Officer Wright, who was standing inside the apartment behind the open front door, had fired a bullet into the door just as Officer Butler was running by.

The bullet tore through the door and into Officer Butler’s back at close range, Officer Sinks’ bodycam footage showed.

Officer Butler immediately fell to the ground, and Officer Sinks went back to her and repeatedly asked her what happened.

Officer Wright ran out of the apartment, closing the door behind him, and immediately rushed to Officer Butler’s aid.

Although she was wearing a ballistic vest, the round struck an area the vest did not cover, the department’s press release said.

“It was my firearm,” Officer Wright told another officer as they were loading Officer Butler into an ambulance, bodycam footage showed.

The three-year department veteran was transported to a local hospital, where she remained as of Thursday morning.

“Officer Butler is an amazing public servant and is a dedicated and valued member of our agency,” the LPD’s press release said. “She is demonstrating tremendous courage and strength [as] she fights to recover from her injury.”

Officer Wright was placed on administrative leave, as per department protocol, WLFI reported.

According to WTHR, the LPD review board determined that Officer Wright’s hand bumped the open door as they were running out of the apartment, which caused his weapon to discharge.

“The shooting review board determined it was an accidental shooting in a very dynamic and stressful situation," the department said, according to WXIN.

Due to the review board’s findings, Officer Wright will not be suspended or fired due to the shooting, Chief Flannelly said, according to WTHR.

The uninjured dog was housed at the Almost Home Humane Society temporarily, and was ultimately returned to its owner the same day.

You can watch bodycam footage of the incident in the video below:

• Like 1

Amazing that body cameras always work perfectly when it's just white people involved, and dogs in a town that's 90% white.  

This dipshit's body cam works flawlessly with an IQ of 80 and probably 15 minutes of training with the device.  

Meantime, Big City police forces receive better equipment and several days of training with the devices and a very robust IT department monitored by the Feds.  And somehow, those things are always doing software updates whenever there's a black person with 50 yards of it.  

52 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Amazing that body cameras always work perfectly when it's just white people involved, and dogs in a town that's 90% white.  

This dipshit's body cam works flawlessly with an IQ of 80 and probably 15 minutes of training with the device.  

Meantime, Big City police forces receive better equipment and several days of training with the devices and a very robust IT department monitored by the Feds.  And somehow, those things are always doing software updates whenever there's a black person with 50 yards of it.  

You don’t have the first clue what you’re talking about. 

• Like 1

“[It] was not negligence, carelessness or otherwise reckless behavior,” Lafayette Police Chief Patrick Flannelly said during a press conference. “It was accidental.”

Holy shit. Cops are simply incapable of telling the truth. 

Bernard

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Why was the firearm out of the holster?

Looked like they were using the flashlights on the guns to see better. Idiots.

And lulzed at "What happened? Did I taze you?" Apparently neither of the male officers heard the gunshot or noticed the bullet flying through the door. The dumbass that fired the shot apparently can't tell the difference between his gun and a tazer. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Constant said:

You don’t have the first clue what you’re talking about. 

Very likely the case. 

as My landlord in queens once said, “damn shame what they did to that dog though...”

On 1/12/2019 at 10:19 AM, Beau Vine said:

What a fucking moron.

Seriously. WTF? Just a clueless fucking idiot. Just does damn near everything wrong. 

18 hours ago, Lat22 said:

What’s up with all of the “baby” talk? 

Yeah, this. And why try to take her to the ER in the back of a cop car when EMS can care for her en route?

On 1/12/2019 at 1:49 PM, Updawg said:

She was lucky her face wasn't blasted off.
The dog was even luckier to not have been shot

Full on retards after it happened. Getting in the car right as the ambulance arrives. Grabbing her by the arm constantly when she was shot in the shoulder

Seriously. Unbelievable. Hope she's doing ok. She was lucky not to have been injured more severely, and the bystanders were probably lucky they weren't mistaken for the shooter and then shot.

You'd think police officers would learn trigger discipline.  Except I think these mouth-breathers are taught to have their gun out at all times and ready to drop the hammer on their entire magazine at the slightest hint of danger.  Honestly, this lady cop is lucky she didn't get more rounds to her back. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

You'd think police officers would learn trigger discipline.  Except I think these mouth-breathers are taught to have their gun out at all times and ready to drop the hammer on their entire magazine at the slightest hint of danger.  Honestly, this lady cop is lucky she didn't get more rounds to her back. 

This. Basic gun safety was thrown out the window because they were all scared of a dog. Pathetic

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

This. Basic gun safety was thrown out the window because they were all scared of a dog. Pathetic

The shooter had probably never touched a gun until he applied to be a cop. It’s not hard to not shoot someone. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

The shooter had probably never touched a gun until he applied to be a cop. It’s not hard to not shoot someone. 

Right. You keep your fucking muzzle pointed in a safe direction always. Regardless if there is a mean dog barking at you. Fucking imbecile could have put one in the back of her head.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:19 PM, Assman said:

I like how the officer that shot her says "What happened?" after she goes down like he's clueless that he just fired a round through her back.  UFB.

Pretty sure it was the officer behind the door that fired and not the one saying "What Happened?"  Well, that's what the story reads and the video shows the round coming through the door.  The officer who shot her immediately called on the radio a "Signal 10" (assuming that means someone was shot.)  

1 hour ago, bobcat1995 said:

Pretty sure it was the officer behind the door that fired and not the one saying "What Happened?"  Well, that's what the story reads and the video shows the round coming through the door.  The officer who shot her immediately called on the radio a "Signal 10" (assuming that means someone was shot.)  

You are correct that the officer behind the door (his body cam footage not included) shot the female officer, but he also asks her "what happened" at 3:20

On 1/12/2019 at 9:04 AM, PilotsError said:

Pussies were fleeing from an "aggressive" dog.  Police chief is a fucking moron, and of course the dipshit cop wasn't charged.  You or I would be doing a minimum of 20.

Yet you seem unhappy. A cop got shot, another cop looks terrible, on camera no less, and a dog didn't get harmed. 

You're so difficult to please.

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Dog must have video of cops getting golden showers.  Only explanation. 

Yeah, but it doesn't count.  See... 'cause it's the department's dog.

Legitimate question:  who believes law enforcement training and continuing education policies are sufficient to prevent this kind of reaction in the heat of the moment?  (Confession:  I don't know the answer.  It seems ridiculous, but it could be an outlier, too.)

Legitimate question:  who believes law enforcement training and continuing education policies are sufficient to prevent this kind of reaction in the heat of the moment?  (Confession:  I don't know the answer.  It seems ridiculous, but it could be an outlier, too.)

I don't. You don't think Big City PD isn't already trying that? At this point I believe your run of the mill patrol/beat cop shouldn't carry a gun. They have proven without a shadow of a doubt that they can't be trusted with them.

A taser or stun gun gets the job done in 95+ percent of situations. Thousands more civilians killed over the past five to ten years would be alive. Firearm units should be special units of experienced officers that have demonstrated good judgement and sound mental capacity that are available to call for backup. If that means there are a few - and it would be very few - more situations where cops are in danger or can't immediately pursue an armed suspect (Gasp! Might have to de-escalate!), then so be it. As it stands, it's civilians putting their lives on the line in interactions with cops. I don't wish anyone harm, but if it's a cop or a civilian, I'm putting that burden on the cop. It's why they're paid so well compared to other civil servants.

I realize that isn't a mainstream opinion, let alone a popular one, so neg away.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1