Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

Unfortunately I can't choose my neighbors, or neighbor's breed, particularly if they moved in after us.

I don't think the offending pup is a hound, however.

Ultimately, the answer is yes, some breeds especially are just barkers.  It can't be trained out of them, most of the time.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Avoid anything hound. They bark just to hear their own voice. 

and beagles. 

You can call the cops if there are noise ordinances. Good luck with that. 

You can sue in small claims court. 

You might try one of those high frequency emitters that send out a high pitch noise that is painful to their ears when they bark. Stick it in the ground as close to the barking dog as you can get it. However, my mom tried one on the dog across the fence line and it didn't really work. Depends on the dog I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

and beagles. 

You might try one of those high frequency emitters that send out a high pitch noise that is painful to their ears when they bark. Stick it in the ground as close to the barking dog as you can get it. However, my mom tried one on the dog across the fence line and it didn't really work. Depends on the dog I guess. 

My dog would probably just bark at it. 

53 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

You might try one of those high frequency emitters that send out a high pitch noise that is painful to their ears when they bark.

Penny, my basset mix, just laughs at those things. She starts barking, activating the box, and Blue runs into the house to get away from the noise, while Penny keeps barking. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

and beagles. 

Beagles are hounds and yes.  My avatar barks at everything that moves.

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 3/20/2024 at 9:25 AM, Buzzrock said:
831b533966c717cde23a50101afc72ec.jpg

You still have him? Yay!

Yeah. Little fucker. Turns out it’s hard to rehome a dog with a biting history.

We keep him away from other people and we’ve had a couple of recent near misses with people managing to get near him and being dumb (twice now I’ve heard variations on “he was acting strangely so I tried to pet him”). We have to keep a constant vigil. As long as you don’t try to confront him right at the invisible fence line he’s pretty much fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Why the hell have pig ears gotten so expensive?  I have been buying these for at least 5 years from Amazon:

71xoXLEp93L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp

...and they recently went from less than $30 to $49!   

Anyone have more affordable mail-order ears to recommend?

Also, here's Juno in bluebonnets, as required by the State of Texas Constitution:

432753427_7235598973202144_2656498609331

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 10:42 AM, gofuckyourself said:

I come in peace and hoping for advice.

I'm mostly indifferent to dogs.

I've never owned a dog but have cared for and dog-sat a few family dogs. I actually just finished dog-sitting a really great mixed breed for a friend. He didn't bark (unless someone came right up to the door) and he was smart, energetic and probably helped me lose 5 pounds running with and (watching him) zoom in the backyard like a greyhound.

That said, for the past 6 years I've lived near/around dogs, in two different locations, that bark all the time and have owners that seem to not give a shit.

So I ask of thee, dog owners - I'm trying not to presume - are there dogs or dog breeds that "just bark" and can't be helped? Or is it just lazy or disrespectful owners? Maybe both.

I already had a conversation with the current neighbor. Nice enough guy but he essentially threw up his hands and said "He's a covid dog and wasn't trained or socialized." Not sure the breed.

But what's stopping that from happening now? Can he not be trained as a 4 or 5 year old dog to not bark, or bark more infrequently? 

It wouldn't be a huge deal but the dog barks at everything and they keep him outside a lot. Wind, flying insects, and of course me going out to mow, smoke a brisket, or just look at the sky. The owner(s) usually just mildly say "Stop. No. Stop that. C'mon now." for a few minutes, which has no effect. 

There are dogs that are just going to bark. Smaller dogs with a few exceptions are going to bark more than bigger dogs, they aren’t badly socialized or poorly trained they are just adding value where they can. Hounds like to bark just to hear themselves. 

There are quiet breeds.  Basenjis are vocal in lots of ways but don’t bark. English and French bulldogs don’t bark.  Big, confident and stately mastiffs of all types rarely bark.  

22 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Went to dinner in Prague last week and the restaurant owner had a Czechoslovak Wolf Dog just hanging out.  When he takes an interest in your roast chicken, you’re tempted to just gjve it to him.

image.thumb.jpeg.ac17a78423e16b8f7c90efd5c8a61a2a.jpeg

I like how even eastern Euro dogs have that weird lazy eye that you often see with eastern Euro humans. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There are dogs that are just going to bark. Smaller dogs with a few exceptions are going to bark more than bigger dogs, they aren’t badly socialized or poorly trained they are just adding value where they can. Hounds like to bark just to hear themselves. 

There are quiet breeds.  Basenjis are vocal in lots of ways but don’t bark. English and French bulldogs don’t bark.  Big, confident and stately mastiffs of all types rarely bark.  

We're dog-sitting my SIL's dog this weekend. He's got some hound in him and is a known barker. I realized today that he doesn't bark that much more than my dog, but it's just that his is just so damn loud it seems like he's barking 3x as much. 

• Like 1

Peace and love @RamjetFDO  and hookem Pippa🤘❤️

I lost a pet recently and it was the first time I had to tell my kid one of their very best furry friends was gone.   That was pretty shitty. She handled it really well and even went with us to say goodbye. I told her our cat was with Kia now, keeping each other company. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

We're dog-sitting my SIL's dog this weekend. He's got some hound in him and is a known barker. I realized today that he doesn't bark that much more than my dog, but it's just that his is just so damn loud it seems like he's barking 3x as much. 

Him trying to fit into Biscuit's bed. Biscuit is annoyed but he mostly sleeps with us anyways. 

20240329_220738.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 9:20 AM, Hard Times said:

They should watch the episode of Pit Dogs and Paroles with Micheal Griffin. In fact, they should watch a number of those episodes. I've volunteered at the animal shelter for a long time and I've had Chihuahuas, Terrriers, French Bulldogs bite me, and Great Danes try. But the only thing all the hundreds of Pit Bulls I walked ever did was want to sit in my lap and lick me to death.

I know people will say, "well a Chihuahua won't hurt you". Well, a Great Dane sure will.

There are certainly some rotten Pit Bull owners though.

I remember volunteering at a shelter out on Long Island in Westbury. The two dogs that wound up being the friendliest to me were a female German Shepherd and a boxer and pit mix female. The shepherd barked incessantly at men and it was because her and her best friend were left outside on a chain mostly for 9 years from what I was told. After sitting by her cage for 3 months I went in and she was comfortable with me and we would play with all her toys. She was a sweetheart.

The boxer/pit really did not like men and it took months of just sitting outside her cage gaining her trust. Once I did she would jump up on me and lick my face to death. One time she jumped up and got her took caught in my nose and drew a good bit of blood, but she was just so excited and happy so I didn’t care. She got a good home from what I recollect. Wish I had some pictures of the two of them, but it seems they have been lost. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Peace and love @RamjetFDO  and hookem Pippa🤘❤️

I lost a pet recently and it was the first time I had to tell my kid one of their very best furry friends was gone.   That was pretty shitty. She handled it really well and even went with us to say goodbye. I told her our cat was with Kia now, keeping each other company. 

IMG_1239.mov

I got kind of lucky in that we got to teach our 5yo about doggie death when my SIL's old as fuck terrier died a few weeks ago. My kid wasn't super attached to him but knew him well as he plays over there a lot. He understands that Tommy went to sleep and that was his final sleep and that it was ok because he was really old. Not as traumatic as when I was a kid and we had a ton of pets and one died every few years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good doggo Pippa.  I sleep with a smile knowing you are keeping Bailey, Zeke, Callie,

and Magic company.  Well done with your girl Ramjet-remembering you both today.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Hounds like to bark just to hear themselves. 

xD

Daughter's mutt loved to bark just coz. Not unusual to check on her and she'd just be laying there barking at nothing, not something she imagined - dumber than a fence post.

A8DAD8BE-1812-446C-AD66-8D17DC4A1C0C_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Fuga
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

My wife's dog barks every time I get on conference calls. Have to put his ass outside all the damn time. So he sits at the door scratching and whining.

I do about 5 calls a day all hours.

During COVID, anytime I was on a Zoom call at home, my dogs would start barking at me at some point. 

"Who has the barking dogs?"

Several people at once would chime in with "Deej!"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, troph said:

He’s determined not to be left at home when momma (my wife) goes to tennis. Sitting outside the front door waiting. 

he never goes to tennis, so when he was left behind with his spare human (me) he laid in a pile of her pjs to pout. 

IMG_4498.jpeg

IMG_4500.jpeg

Mine would have eaten the Uggs.

• Haha 1