Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

EJ after dark: DL recruiting nuggets

Reveal hidden contents

— I put in a new Crystal Ball pick for Texas to land three-star 2020 defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen today. I will have more from Umanmielen tomorrow, but Texas has done a terrific job in this recruitment over the last several weeks — they hosted him for the Tulsa and USC games. My previous pick was Oklahoma, and the Sooners remain a huge threat. This one is going to be a tough battle, but the thing that stood out most from my conversation with Umanmielen was the fact that he said he has a stronger relationship with the Texas staff.

— I recently put in a Crystal Ball pick for four-star Cy Ridge defensive lineman Vernon Broughton. The Longhorns really made an impact on his recent visit, and it seems like they have built some early momentum in this recruitment. While I feel very good about where Texas stands early on, I spoke to a source close to Broughton, who told me that Alabama was the biggest threat right now. The source added that he also like Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

— I had a story up on JUCO defensive end/outside linebacker Kuony Deng up earlier today. Shortly after publishing, I put in a Crystal Ball for Virginia Tech. Deng is originally from Virginia, and I’ve gotten the indication that he wants to be closer to his original home. Texas did talk to Deng on the phone last night, but it’s going to take getting him on campus for an OV and blowing him away to turn the tide in this one.

— Four-star Trinity Christian Cedar Hill defensive back Lewis Cine is set to make his announcement on Oct. 10, which is next Wednesday. Nothing has really changed on my end. Georgia did a great job on his official visit and made it clear that he is a priority this cycle. While Texas has made things interesting, I would be surprised if the Longhorns are able to steal him next week.

2020 related but I don't think Broughton goes to Bama', a recent article had mom saying she wants him to stay close to home.

27 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

2020 related but I don't think Broughton goes to Bama', a recent article had mom saying she wants him to stay close to home.

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This Kuony Deng stuff from EJ Holland is utterly bizarre. The guy isn’t taking an official to Texas and UT’s interest in him is debatable. Holland is acting like something is happening here and it appears to be the opposite of that. 

My general reaction when reading 9.95ers:

Image result for monkey in tuxedo drinking coffee gif

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This Kuony Deng stuff from EJ Holland is utterly bizarre. The guy isn’t taking an official to Texas and UT’s interest in him is debatable. Holland is acting like something is happening here and it appears to be the opposite of that. 

The business model doesn’t really work when nothing is happening.

19 hours ago, satyanash said:

We should still go for at least one more 2019 kid. Nelson, Omenihu, Hager leave after this year (I think Chisholm might as well). 2019 looked loaded at DL too, but going 0/4 with Leal, Stripling, NaNa, and Mowry set us back early.

One of these 4 things is not like the other. NaNa, with his size and athleticism should look like a fucking cheat code against his current competition. Most of the OT he is facing wouldn't even make the varsity at the average 4A-6A Texas High school - much less start. He should be living in the other team's backfield as well as returning kicks and punts for TDs. He has such a low fucking floor and his lack of effort and drive certainly don't sell me on him doing all the things to improve at the next level, or even give anything on ST. He's a one trick pony which is why he struggles against technicians in camp because if he can't simply dip his shoulder and run around them, he's fucking cooked. 

watch his highlights here once the pads are on and note the only guy he beats in Kenyon Green because Green is a fucking OG with terrible balance who plays out over his fucking feet. Everyone else at this level just redirects him once and it's over. 

https://dai.ly/x6ntsq6    

I'll NEVER understand the Mowry's of the world but there's at least 2 or 3 in every class. 

I think there will be at least 1 more take on the DL and I would imagine it will be a late rising jumbo athlete (a la Christian Jones/Michael Williams). 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, golfclap said:

One of these 4 things is not like the other. NaNa, with his size and athleticism should look like a fucking cheat code against his current competition. Most of the OT he is facing wouldn't even make the varsity at the average 4A-6A Texas High school - much less start. He should be living in the other team's backfield as well as returning kicks and punts for TDs. He has such a low fucking floor and his lack of effort and drive certainly don't sell me on him doing all the things to improve at the next level, or even give anything on ST. He's a one trick pony which is why he struggles against technicians in camp because if he can't simply dip his shoulder and run around them, he's fucking cooked. 

watch his highlights here once the pads are on and note the only guy he beats in Kenyon Green because Green is a fucking OG with terrible balance who plays out over his fucking feet. Everyone else at this level just redirects him once and it's over. 

I'll NEVER understand the Mowry's of the world but there's at least 2 or 3 in every class. 

I think there will be at least 1 more take on the DL and I would imagine it will be a late rising jumbo athlete (a la Christian Jones/Michael Williams). 

Still surprised we haven't thrown our hat into the ring for Ty Robinson out of Arizona given our newfound presence out there...but if I never understand Giles, I'll probably be better for it.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-wednesday-october-3rd/

Marcus Washington Moves His Decision Date Up

– Super K

Again, things looking great for Texas…

Demarvin Leal | In-Person + Insider Take
– CJ Vogel

I went down to San Marcos for the match-up between Converse Judson and San Marcos High School to see Texas A&M commit DeMarvin Leal in action.

Due to a 47-7 blowout and a running clock in the second half, Leal was not on the field for long, nor was he on the field really for any meaningful downs since the San Marcos offense was unable to string together any threatening drive in the first half.

Leal saw a plethora of double and triple teams throughout the night. San Marcos also game-planned to run opposite of Leal for most of the night, however that didn’t stop him from racking up several QB pressures and a sack.

The 6’4”, 280 lb defensive end slid down the line as a 3-technique, a 4i, and as a 5 for most of the evening. He also saw time as a blocker on field goals and as a up-back on the punt team.

On the sidelines, Leal was very open to being coached up by the Judson staff. Each team he came off the field he was met with a defensive coach to discuss the previous series and any adjustments needed to be made.

I was very impressed with Leal’s quickness off the ball and his ability to beat blockers in one-on-one situations. His agility will allow him to see playing time quite early in his collegiate career. At times, Leal was too tall out of his break which prevented him from breaking through the offensive line.

The real question is how firm is Leal to A&M and do the Longhorns have a shot at flipping him?

“I’m still committed to Texas A&M 100%,” said Leal after the game. “I plan on going to the A&M game [October 6th] against Kentucky.”

As for any future visits to Austin or Tuscaloosa, Leal said he does not have anything in the works for either school. Instead, he is focusing on early enrolling to get a head start with Texas A&M Defensive Coordinator Mike Elko.

It still might not be all the way over for UT. Leal’s mother and several members of his family are still very much pro-Texas. Plus there is a lot of schedule left for both teams.

As they say, winning takes care of everything. Texas certainly has momentum on the field at this point of the season, and a win over Oklahoma at the Cotton Bowl could certainly open up doors that were previously closed.

Insider Take 

I’ll bottom line this, I don’t get the sense that Leal is anything but solid to Texas A&M. He didn’t even seem interested in taking additional visits.

But, again, a lot of folks around him, including his mother are pro-Texas and I think that the window might crack open if Texas continues to win and TAMU takes some L’s as the season wears on.

If I’m Texas, I’m certainly looking for some additional options.

54 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Brockermeyer doesn't think much of NaNa.

Is the rise of 7 on 7 and spread offense responsible for the lack of OL and DL talent in Texas over the last few years? Seems very heavy in WR and DB with all the linemen coming out of the Southeast and Midwest.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

18 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Tfb saying time to forget about Leal.

We knew Jimbo was going to pull some good players this cycle. Leal seems like the rare top prospect that clicked with College Station over Austin. It sucks, but we have done fine at DE this cycle, just need two more DL to close things out. I am not praising Giles or giving him a pass by any means, but we are not in dire straights. 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We knew Jimbo was going to pull some good players this cycle. Leal seems like the rare top prospect that clicked with College Station over Austin. It sucks, but we have done fine at DE this cycle, just need two more DL to close things out. I am not praising Giles or giving him a pass by any means, but we are not in dire straights. 

"Doing fine" at recruiting DE is what we've been doing for the past several years.  And now we find ourselves with Omenihu and Hager, who can't get a pass rush to save their lives.  Graham has been ok, no idea on Bimage.  Fitzgerald was a bust.  Roach is out for the year and we weren't even using him properly.

We need to do better than "fine" if we're going to compete for the Big XII, much less nationally.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Is the rise of 7 on 7 and spread offense responsible for the lack of OL and DL talent in Texas over the last few years? Seems very heavy in WR and DB with all the linemen coming out of the Southeast and Midwest. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

That's a part of it. The other half is having analysts like EJ who oooh and aaah at all the Adidas-shilling 7v7 wideouts and DBs where it's easy to tell the difference between a successful and unsuccessful play, but couldn't tell you what makes a good lineman to save their lives.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

"Doing fine" at recruiting DE is what we've been doing for the past several years.  And now we find ourselves with Omenihu and Hager, who can't get a pass rush to save their lives.  Graham has been ok, no idea on Bimage.  Fitzgerald was a bust.  Roach is out for the year and we weren't even using him properly. 

We need to do better than "fine" if we're going to compete for the Big XII, much less nationally.

There is also the fact that good DL play in our scheme means occupying multiple OL at once, versus pure bull rushing the QB. We can definitely do better, but we're very very rarely going to have guys putting up JJ Watt numbers.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That's a part of it. The other half is having analysts like EJ who oooh and aaah at all the Adidas-shilling 7v7 wideouts and DBs where it's easy to tell the difference between a successful and unsuccessful play, but couldn't tell you what makes a good lineman to save their lives.

Rondale Moore is evidence that EJ can't tell you what the fuck is happening at the skill positions either.

I'm a fucking idiot and even I saw that Moore was 'special'.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Leal is probably a DT ultimately. Although maybe not in our scheme but I don't know enough to say that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Rondale Moore is evidence that EJ can't tell you what the fuck is happening at the skill positions either.

I'm a fucking idiot and even I saw that Moore was 'special'.

One video of him doing agility drills was all you needed to see.  He has insane quickness and cutting ability.  EJ could not have picked a worse player to be a contrarian about.

Edited by kevwun

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Scheme plays a big factor in how our ends are getting to the passer this year. When we went to a 4 man front versus Kansas St, Hager and Omenihu wrecked shop and got sacks. Most of the time they are in a 3 man front and asked to eat up blocks. We have Mike Williams and Carson redshirting this year, plus we will likely spin Roach back down to end next season. I think you will see an uptick in play at end next year with Graham and Roach, as they are a bit more disruptive. 

• Like 2

One video of him doing agility drills was all you needed to see.  He has insane quickness and cutting ability.  EJ could not have picked a worse player to be a contrarian about.

I once said that I didn’t think VY would make it because of his attitude. That was against Yates. Watched him a few more times and changed my mind.

We’re going to struggle recruiting elite DL.  Our D-line isn’t very attractive to DL that want highlight reels.  ou had the same problem when they ran a 3-4 and finally switched.  No 5 star wants to come in and take on double teams their entire career.  Other schools are using it against us.  Seems like Herman and Giles are okay taking athletes with high motors and coaching them up.  

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few interesting things to watch or note:

-There's a good shot one of the guys Texas circles back on will be Preston Wilson, an interior OL prospect out of Argyle, and currently committed to Okie State.

https://247sports.com/Player/Preston-Wilson-46040252/

-There's a good shot that another guy that garners real interest is OT prospect Tyler Miterko out of Carlsbad, NM. He's also an Okie State commit but has UT ties. 

https://247sports.com/player/taylor-miterko-46040601/

-Y'all tell me if these #'s have been reported for David Gbenda, but at one of the big camps, he was 6'0" without shoes, at 213 lbs. Can easily carry 225-235 and has abnormally long arms for his size with a 77 inch wingspan and almost 10 inch hands. Those are big measurables for an LB. He's laterally really quick for his size, too. He had a 4.35 shuttle. The LB takes of Gbenda and Tillman in this class will either highlight that the staff is really, really good at evaluating, or we've been sniffing our own farts on this board. I lean/hope towards the former.

-The Tyler Owens time in the hundred that's been getting a lot of run was not electronically timed or it was wind-aided, can't remember which. He ran something like 10.85 in the next round of track meets. It's nothing to be down on him about, but this isn't a guy with Adrian Colbert's speed. His senior tape is night and day to prior years. He looked like Tarzan and played like Jane up until this season. This is more good work by the staff and he'll move up in the rankings. He could easily project into the Jason Hall role or a full spin down to LB, either of which is fine in Orlando's defense. 

-The Iowa State JUCO commit is allegedly considered a high priority. A visit ahead of December would be a surprise. Credit to ISU for putting in the early evaluation work here. He's also allegedly a December graduate.

-Sanders is going to Alabama. 

-Ignore the Barton Simmons stupidity about Washington. Texas and Ohio State will happily take the guy. He was hurt and ran some bad numbers and the dipshits involved with this stuff have decided that his camp times matter more than anything else. He's 3 inches shorter with the same skill set as Collin Johnson. Whether he winds up at UT or not, he's a good prospect.

-Gabriel Hall out of Waller might get another look too. 

-The number is 25 and could go to 27 if some crazy shit happens. 

-I do not think it behooves those who follow this stuff to put any value on Shepherd as a commitment. Texas is going to bring in 3 more OLs if I had to guess. 

-When Demas winds up at FB Marshall, it should confirm to you that it is time to light the cigarettes on that recruitment, along with Hornsby's, because those recruitments have already been fucked.

-Grad transfer/new transfer world is going to be just like recruiting. Doing it really well will separate the wheat from the chaff and everybody worth a shit knows it. Might be time to just straight up view that stuff as its own level of recruiting each year. 

Too good of a post to ignore commenting on.... Great Stuff "CTJ"

AGREE strongly with the last 3 pts on Shepherd, Demas, and Grad Transfer & Transfer info....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

-Y'all tell me if these #'s have been reported for David Gbenda, but at one of the big camps, he was 6'0" without shoes, at 213 lbs. Can easily carry 225-235 and has abnormally long arms for his size with a 77 inch wingspan and almost 10 inch hands. Those are big measurables for an LB. He's laterally really quick for his size, too. He had a 4.35 shuttle. The LB takes of Gbenda and Tillman in this class will either highlight that the staff is really, really good at evaluating, or we've been sniffing our own farts on this board. I lean/hope towards the former.

6'0 - 215 are not big measurables for a LB, but a 77 inch wingspan is long for that size.

He reminds me of Edwin Freeman.

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-The Tyler Owens time in the hundred that's been getting a lot of run was not electronically timed or it was wind-aided, can't remember which. He ran something like 10.85 in the next round of track meets. It's nothing to be down on him about, but this isn't a guy with Adrian Colbert's speed. His senior tape is night and day to prior years. He looked like Tarzan and played like Jane up until this season. This is more good work by the staff and he'll move up in the rankings. He could easily project into the Jason Hall role or a full spin down to LB, either of which is fine in Orlando's defense. 

On the track times, someone who follows track and field mentioned that Owens' actual hand time was 10.01, and the 10.34 was after the standard conversion. He did have a laser time that was a bit slower than that, though.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

We’re going to struggle recruiting elite DL.  Our D-line isn’t very attractive to DL that want highlight reels.  ou had the same problem when they ran a 3-4 and finally switched.  No 5 star wants to come in and take on double teams their entire career.  Other schools are using it against us.  Seems like Herman and Giles are okay taking athletes with high motors and coaching them up.  

Well our defense is the best in the big twelve so whatever we are doing is working.  Who cares if we don't get 5 star DL if our defense is sound.  I remember when we didn't get Daylon Mack and how much that was going to hurt us for years to come.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Kinda like that Mookie Cooper video from last month. he made a move on a defender at an inside facility and it looked like a freaking optical illusion.

7 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Well our defense is the best in the big twelve so whatever we are doing is working.  Who cares if we don't get 5 star DL if our defense is sound.  I remember when we didn't get Daylon Mack and how much that was going to hurt us for years to come.  

This is silly logic.

• Like 4

Stupid take. Elite DL can elevate any defense to the next level. Some of y'all are being made uncomfortable in your mental safe space when told that we are losing elite d linemen to rivals. Show me an elite championship level team with majority 3*s DL. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Show me an elite championship level team with majority 3*s DL. 

https://247sports.com/college/central-florida/Article/UCF-Knights-2017-camp-preview-Defensive-Line-105452406/

These guys completely dismantled Auburn's OL in the bowl.

Edited by ClubWhatever

3 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Stupid take. Elite DL can elevate any defense to the next level. Some of y'all are being made uncomfortable in your mental safe space when told that we are losing elite d linemen to rivals. Show me an elite championship level team with majority 3*s DL. 

I don't think anyone wouldn't want elite DL - a guy that can occupy two gaps and still get to the QB (hi Poona!) takes this defense from really good to ferocious. It's just that well-evaluated 3-star guys can get us to a win total where 5-star guys want to come here regardless of scheme.