Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

IF we were to lose LJH and CJ to the NFL this year, should there be any concern that Sam has relied on utilizing their large catch radius to offset some of his inaccuracies at times and that if he's having to throw to smaller receivers that it would expose his weakness? I'm not implying that he's wildly inaccurate just that having that crutch has certainly helped him as he gets better with his passing.

38 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

If Collin could run under a 4.6 laser timed at the combine, he’s a 2nd day draft pick.  He’s shown more wiggle and toughness on slants this year. His size is ++trait that would stand out even on NFL roster. 

His size doesn't set him apart in the NFL. There are so many 6'5+ WRs trying to catch on but have a hard time for a number of other shortcomings.

I personally don't think he's even as good as EQ St. Brown yet.

11 minutes ago, Atticus said:

His size doesn't set him apart in the NFL. There are so many 6'5+ WRs trying to catch on but have a hard time for a number of other shortcomings.

Since I’m bored waiting in a Dallas hotel room for everyone to get ready, I scanned the first 6 NFL rosters.  There were two receivers 6’5”. Both on injured reserve. Now if you wanna argue that it is because big guys can’t move well enough to make a difference, that’s another point.  But his size is unique and I think his slimness actually gives him a better chance to make it. 

22 minutes ago, Atticus said:

CJ is likely a 3rd round pick if he leaves this year. If he stays another he will be a 2nd or low first rounder.

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Since I’m bored waiting in a Dallas hotel room for everyone to get ready, I scanned the first 6 NFL rosters.  There were two receivers 6’5”. Both on injured reserve. Now if you wanna argue that it is because big guys can’t move well enough to make a difference, that’s another point.  But his size is unique and I think his slimness actually gives him a better chance to make it. 

I can already discredit this with Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamjn, 6’5” and not hurt....Not to mention the numerous amounts of 6’4” WR’s. Of course, wouldn’t be surprised if Surly was splitting hairs over an inch.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I can already discredit this with Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamjn, 6’5” and not hurt....Not to mention the numerous amounts of 6’4” WR’s. Of course, wouldn’t be surprised if Surly was splitting hairs over an inch.

I split your mom’s hairs with an i.... never mind.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Evans' comments are bizarre. He's either $EC brainwashed or he got Craiged. 

I hope he and Footwork King share some nachos and an Aggy loss tonight. 

Or he's arguably the top recruit in the nation, is wide open, and doesn't want to appear to be favoring any schools yet as it's still really early in his recruitment 

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. Height and Wingspan and flypaper hands dont mean shit in the eyes of scouts. Its not like his straight line speed gets substantially faster with another year, so by that logic he might as well leave anyway. Genius fucking take. 

He needs to prove that he can separate against future NFL corners, or he'll fall like Equanimeous St. Brown, Auden Tate, Allen Lazard, Jaleel Scott, and Marcell Ateman did last year. You can't just be tall and win jump balls anymore to get drafted in the first couple of rounds, because you profile to be more of a possession receiver in the NFL than a WR1

• Like 1

Or he's arguably the top recruit in the nation, is wide open, and doesn't want to appear to be favoring any schools yet as it's still really early in his recruitment 

His quotes are not trying to be objective. They’re specifically, strangely, and consistently negative about Texas. He’s going to aggy.
  • Like 2

With the offensive line resurgence this year under Herb Hand, could we end up with 5 OL in this class?  Johnson, Shepherd, a JUCO, a flip from one of the Okie Lite or TCU commits, and a developmental guy inside like Chayse Todd maybe? Then, hit it out of the park with a monster OL class next year (Garth, George, Lindberg, and one of the uncommitted guards).

People need to stop conceding losses to aggy on the recruiting front. We did this Brandon Jones, Malcom Brown, Malik, Jeffrey M, Kris Boyd, etc. Win and it solves problems. You know what we have going for us? Winning and aggy losing. Let them have this year. Next year will prove Jimbo is a fraud. Keep winning and use the recruits you do have to win like Tom is doing. Tom is proving that he can win with just about anyone. Jimbo will get annually raped by Bama, LSU, Barn, and anyone with a modicum of talent. We have OU, Okie lite, and WV. Tom is proving he can win.

relax and all will work itself out. Kids, especially in-state kids will want to play for a winner and get their draft stock raised. Alliswell.gif

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Spelling. I'm regarded
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

His quotes are not trying to be objective. They’re specifically, strangely, and consistently negative about Texas. He’s going to aggy.

Odds are higher that he's not going to aggie than going to aggie, imo 

This recruitment is still in the early stages, and you guys need to quit hanging on his every word 

• Like 5

I'd still say Bragg goes to Stanford, but I do wonder now what they're thinking watching the Little kid, who with his family helped sell the Braggs on Stanford, not developing very well at all under a new offensive line coach. While back home, a kid from the same class as Little (Cosmi), a far inferior prospect to Little (3*v 5*; #104 OT v #3 OT) seems to be overachieving with a new OL coach in Austin.

Fly on the wall, I wish I were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I’m not sure it’s about football with Bragg 

Then there are other universities better than Stanford to apply with.

Obviously the education is a kicker, to a program who also helps produce NFL OL very well.

It's both for him. But one side might look to be in doubt for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will always be random individual prospects who prefer Stanford over every option in the country. Debating why the individuals believe Stanford is the best option is a waste of time. If Texas is winning and recruiting like it should, then other options should be readily available, and it shouldn't hurt us much in the long run.  

Edited by Fud

Some of you are gonna get triggered but Stanford > UT in pretty much all metrics of good a university should be academics wise. And regardless of this season, have a far superior record in player development fro past 10 years or so.
What about the metric of actually giving an F to a student who deserves to fail a class? Or actually grading realistically instead of the entire university undergrad population averaging over a 3.5 GPA?
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Bragg can’t be the only good prep center in the country can he? Go get somebody else.

There are 2 others in the 247db from GA and AL.  One is committed to Ohio state and the other is deciding between bama, barn, dabo, and uga.  After that it’s just a bunch of mid to low 3 star guys so we’d likely be looking at converting a tackle or guard to play center or looking at JUCOs or transfers.

Edited by TKthunder2