Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

The trend is to built bigger and bigger stores, but my hope is when they finalize the plan for an HEB where Nutty Brown Cafe sits on 290/Nutty Brown Rd., they opt for something smaller.  There are a ton of beautiful oak trees on that property, and frankly sitting out back was the highlight of a trip to the restaurant.  The food was always mediocre at best.

A smaller, boutique HEB with a beer garden, playground, and quick to-go options would probably kill it in that location.

8 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

The trend is to built bigger and bigger stores, but my hope is when they finalize the plan for an HEB where Nutty Brown Cafe sits on 290/Nutty Brown Rd., they opt for something smaller.  There are a ton of beautiful oak trees on that property, and frankly sitting out back was the highlight of a trip to the restaurant.  The food was always mediocre at best.

A smaller, boutique HEB with a beer garden, playground, and quick to-go options would probably kill it in that location.

That's exactly what I am hoping for in my immediate area as they are starting the underground utility work right now.  It doesn't have to be a full HEB Plus store, just give us all the pickup food options including their in store made Pizzas.   Those are the fricken bomb!   

10 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

woah HEB is going there? didn't know that...

11 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath for the oak trees

On 5/23/2019 at 10:40 PM, DougO said:

I used to get that Nighthawk dinner with an actual hunk of steak, not ground, and a potato triangle, and that butter based steak sauce that was pretty awesome. I never could figure out what was in it besides the butter.

Garlic for sure....

Back in the 70's you could buy a box that contained two Nighthawk uncooked chop steaks and they were probably a half pound each and it came with two packets of that garlic butter stuff.

Bought them all of the time. Wish they would bring those back.

12 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That's exactly what I am hoping for in my immediate area as they are starting the underground utility work right now.  It doesn't have to be a full HEB Plus store, just give us all the pickup food options including their in store made Pizzas.   Those are the fricken bomb!   

Yes, they are! And I customize them to make them even better.

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Garlic for sure....

Back in the 70's you could buy a box that contained two Nighthawk uncooked chop steaks and they were probably a half pound each and it came with two packets of that garlic butter stuff.

Bought them all of the time. Wish they would bring those back.

Yeah, maybe a touch of lemon or something. It had a little twang to it, that didn't taste like just regularass garlic butter. I've never tasted anything exactly like it since.

two big thumbs down on the heb kosher salt.  I'm loyal to morton's, but last three attempts I've made to buy some my heb is suspiciously out of stock.  when I first brought the heb branded kosher salt home as a sustitute I did a double take when filling my salt pig, because it looked too "pretty."  I'm used to seeing my kosher salt opaque, feeling coarse, and having rectangularish grains; here I was seeing a few sparkling clear specks, some was sticking to the rim of my salt pig, and there were grains definitely cubic.  shit, maybe exotic salt got into my box from a not properly cleaned packing line at the processing plant.  then, I tried salting some simmering water and saw some clear grains falling to the bottom of my pot.  since I'm lazy I threw the lid back on and waited for the water to fully boil.  I added morton's to my next instacart, but I dropped it completely when the shopper tried to substitute it with heb brand when she was filling my order.  this weekend I watched the same shit happen to simmering water, I decided to throw the rest of it out.  fuck that.  morton's makes the water cloudy for a second after it hits the water then it clears back up, but no grains ever sink intact to the bottom of a simmering pot.  went to my heb determined to come home with the good stuff, but they are still cleared out of morton's kosher salt.  is there a run on salt that I'm not aware of? now I'm stuck having to use table salt harvested out of picnic paks from a leftover emergency stash from hurricane ike.

tl;dr:  heb kosher salt sucks.  it is inferior in every way, do not buy. heb I am disappoint.

Edited by hornimal

12 hours ago, hornimal said:

two big thumbs down on the heb kosher salt.  I'm loyal to morton's, but last three attempts I've made to buy some my heb is suspiciously out of stock.  when I first brought the heb branded kosher salt home as a sustitute I did a double take when filling my salt pig, because it looked too "pretty."  I'm used to seeing my kosher salt opaque, feeling coarse, and having rectangularish grains; here I was seeing a few sparkling clear specks, some was sticking to the rim of my salt pig, and there were grains definitely cubic.  shit, maybe exotic salt got into my box from a not properly cleaned packing line at the processing plant.  then, I tried salting some simmering water and saw some clear grains falling to the bottom of my pot.  since I'm lazy I threw the lid back on and waited for the water to fully boil.  I added morton's to my next instacart, but I dropped it completely when the shopper tried to substitute it with heb brand when she was filling my order.  this weekend I watched the same shit happen to simmering water, I decided to throw the rest of it out.  fuck that.  morton's makes the water cloudy for a second after it hits the water then it clears back up, but no grains ever sink intact to the bottom of a simmering pot.  went to my heb determined to come home with the good stuff, but they are still cleared out of morton's kosher salt.  is there a run on salt that I'm not aware of? now I'm stuck having to use table salt harvested out of picnic paks from a leftover emergency stash from hurricane ike.

tl;dr:  heb kosher salt sucks.  it is inferior in every way, do not buy. heb I am disappoint.

Diamond Crystal is the only Kosher Salt anyone should ever be using. Morton's sucks.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, hornimal said:

I put some exotic salt into your mom's box last night 

How is it that the only Central Market in San Antonio, HEB's headquarters,  is the crappiest of them all, by a wide margin?  The relative lack of selections is terrible.  

Edited by clapclapclap
As God is my witness, I'll never go without prosciutto ficelle again!

6 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

How is it that the only Central Market in San Antonio, HEB's headquarters,  is the crappiest of them all, by a wide margin?  The relative lack of selections is terrible.  

When it opened, HEB was asked why they sold Budweiser at the new Central Market. The answer was "it's San Antonio."

• Haha 1

So the nice old lady handing out free food samples at HEB asked me "would you like to taste my taco?"  As I said no thank you with a smile I wondered how many customers had she propositioned that day while trying to hand out taco samples.

On 6/5/2019 at 3:30 PM, clapclapclap said:

Read your edit comment as "As Goo is my witness"... and thought, well, he is an expert on certain foods.

So, my daughter (no pictures, assholes) is in Hollywood, pursuing her dream. She'll probably succeed as a horror actress, but that's a whole other story. The main thing is, she has hated living in College Station as much as any right minded person would, but has not realized, until today, just exactly how much she's going to miss HEB.

62198466_460252008068680_147858255080796

Yeah, this would be part of why. She also told me she encountered a $36 pair of tweezers in the impulse buy counter next to the checkout at the pharmacist's, which is really kind of mind-blowing.

On 6/10/2019 at 3:47 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

So, my daughter (no pictures, assholes) is in Hollywood, pursuing her dream. She'll probably succeed as a horror actress, but that's a whole other story. The main thing is, she has hated living in College Station as much as any right minded person would, but has not realized, until today, just exactly how much she's going to miss HEB.

62198466_460252008068680_147858255080796

Yeah, this would be part of why. She also told me she encountered a $36 pair of tweezers in the impulse buy counter next to the checkout at the pharmacist's, which is really kind of mind-blowing.

College Station seems like pretty good training ground for a horror actress.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The new Emperors at Chicago based Whataburger better keep the Spicy Ketchup at our local HEB so I can get some when it's open

22 hours ago, Js1 said:

Maybe go stock up now? 

Noticed HEB running a "buy one get one free" on the spicy ketchup yesterday.