House Bill 1100 would allow Texans to purchase liquor on Sundays

Goo Punch

17 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

OK “near-beer” 3.2 law ended Oct 1 last year. They have grocery store beer and wine, also starting the same day.

CO had their 3.2 law rescinded, not sure if it’s in effect yet.

Yep, we went from one of the most backwards to one of the more progressive states on alcohol. Grocery stores and gas stations can now sell regular beer and wine including on Sundays. Liquor stores still have the monopoly on spirits, and can't open on Sundays, but they can stay open til midnight now every other day. Breweries can also be open until midnight now, including on Sundays, and kids are allowed just like at a restaurant (everywhere but the actual bar). 

Before the law change, only 3.2 at grocery stores and gas stations, and no wine. Liquor stores could not refrigerate the beer and could not sell anything other than alcohol (no mixers, no limes, no bottle openers, just booze). Liquor stores closed at 9, same with breweries, and no kids allowed. A few years ago craft brewers couldn't even sell or serve their own product on site, so we had literally no tap rooms. A law change let them sell and serve on site a few years prior to the most recent change. Prior to that, an early law change allowed for samples during official brewery tours, but they were capped at 12 oz.  And before that they literally could do nothing but brew and sell to a distributor. It's been a fun decade to get where we are now.

The only blue law remnant still around here is no liquor on Sundays (which I really don't care because my whiskey cabinet is always well stocked) and grocery stores and gas stations are limited to 10% abv, so no barrel aged stouts (no big deal just go to the liquor store or brewery). We also have a few distilleries opening up which are stuck with no onsite consumption, but I assume they'll get a law passed for themselves soon enough.

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think they have to put any alcoholic beverage in a bag of some sort by law. The small brown paper bag is just more convenient for singles.

They have to put anything not in a fully contained cardboard box into a bag.  So a single goes into the Texas koozie, and sixers go into a bag (if they're following laws).  Everything else can walk out the door unbagged 

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

The "ripe targets" for this discussion are the lobbies paying off the politicians to uphold antiquated laws, and the politicians themselves who allow themselves to be bought.  Feel free to take all the shots at them that you want, many people already have.  If you choose to take it beyond that to further some personal agenda, then you should definitely prepare for the negative consequences.

Yep.  That's why we still have the laws against small and medium sized craft breweries  selling their own product "to go" at their location.   Big Beer contributes big time to political whores on both sides of the isle.   Much like Pharma.  

22 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I was just trying to remember how long the strict "blue laws" were in effect.   When I worked in supermarkets as a kid, I remember on Saturday evening at closing having to tape across the aisles blocking entrance to merchandise unavailable for sale on Sunday.

They were pretty damn strict.   I recall the days when the shopping malls didn't even attempt to open and you'd drive by on Sunday and parking lots were vacant.   

41 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

They were pretty damn strict.   I recall the days when the shopping malls didn't even attempt to open and you'd drive by on Sunday and parking lots were vacant.   

Speaking of shopping malls, The Shops at Willow Bend in Frisco are working on a deal to where you can go in the mall, get a bracelet from some new bar they are building inside, and cruise the mall with a beer, wine or cocktail.  Would help on those afternoons when the wife wants to spend 57 minutes trying on the same exact jeans in 3 different colors 

6 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Colorado used to have state run liquor stores too 

You could get 3.2 beer at the grocery store, but no liquor, and who the fuck wants 3.2 beer.

Not sure if it is still the case. I lived there long ago.

I'm 44 and have lived in CO my entire life.  I've never seen a state run liquor store here.  So either you're old as fuck, or you're off on that one.

We finally got rid of 3.2 beer on Jan 1 of this year.  Grocery stores and convenience stores can sell real beer now, which is nice.

43 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Speaking of shopping malls, The Shops at Willow Bend in Frisco are working on a deal to where you can go in the mall, get a bracelet from some new bar they are building inside, and cruise the mall with a beer, wine or cocktail.  Would help on those afternoons when the wife wants to spend 57 minutes trying on the same exact jeans in 3 different colors 

Oh... You have one of those wives too.  LOL....   Except mine can take hours trying on shoes and leave buying only one pair or none at all.

I'd be in for the cruise the mall thing with a beer .....  That's one upside about going to Fredricksburg with being able to walk around with a cold one.

• Like 1

If you want to read up about the massive dipshittery by the Texas Beer Wholesalers and their fight against craft brewer for every day normal beer shit that every single other state except Texas enjoys (including this year's BEER-TO-GO bill), then here you go: https://www.austinchronicle.com/food/2019-02-01/the-battle-of-small-beer-vs-big-distributors-rages-on-with-texas-to-go-beer-bill/

18 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Remember when Randall's didn't sell alcohol because of their religious bent but you could count on a liquor store next door? They succumbed. 

same with HEB.  My grandfather worked for Lone Star and HEB wouldn't cash his payroll check - grocery stores did that kind of stuff back then.  Needless to say, my grandmother was not allowed to shop at HEB (which wasn't a hardship because they were never open).

Edited by MAROON
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 11:39 AM, 6th Street said:

Why can't you buy liquor at the grocery stores or Walgreens in Texas? This isn't an issue anywhere else

On 1/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, utee94 said:

That's not entirely true, I believe Pennsylvania also has crazy liquor laws.  In fact as I recall, they're even crazier, because you can only buy liquor in state-owned stores there, but you can't buy beer in those same state-owned liquor stores. 

There are lots of weird laws up and down the east coast.  NC and VA also have the state stores for the hard stuff.  NY doesn't allow liquor stores to sell anything but liquor (No Spec's style stores with cigars, deli, etc) MD has no beer and wine in grocery stores, GA doesn't allow any package sales on Sunday, SC used to make bars serve hard liquor out of mini-bottles (!).

1 hour ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

There are lots of weird laws up and down the east coast.  NC and VA also have the state stores for the hard stuff.  NY doesn't allow liquor stores to sell anything but liquor (No Spec's style stores with cigars, deli, etc) MD has no beer and wine in grocery stores, GA doesn't allow any package sales on Sunday, SC used to make bars serve hard liquor out of mini-bottles (!).

Really would've fucked the 'bottle service' crowd at the clubs.  'Breh, let's go get bottle service tonight.  Got a few ladies comin', so we'll have to get like 124 or so' 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

If you want to read up about the massive dipshittery by the Texas Beer Wholesalers and their fight against craft brewer for every day normal beer shit that every single other state except Texas enjoys (including this year's BEER-TO-GO bill), then here you go: https://www.austinchronicle.com/food/2019-02-01/the-battle-of-small-beer-vs-big-distributors-rages-on-with-texas-to-go-beer-bill/

There is no free will, just the illusion.

Looking forward to the age when it all opens up and Amazon delivers whatever beer/alcohol I want directly to my house.

Many Texas grocery stores wouldn't even have the space to accommodate liquor sales.  Obviously a great deal of it is modular, but as the HEB GM once said, "If the family allowed us to sell liquor, I'll propose the gluten-free aisle as the first to go."  

They don’t have the space to add inventory to compete with Specs, but they could easily stock as much as the typical neighborhood liquor store.

That's inaccurate about New York. Liquor stores can carry mixers and wine, and some small sundries. Some sell beer but not all. And you can get delivery just about around the clock. 

In CT liquor, wine and beer can be sold in liquor stores, beer in grocery stores. And liquor stores are open Sunday until (I think) 6 and no delivery. 

Yep, we went from one of the most backwards to one of the more progressive states on alcohol. Grocery stores and gas stations can now sell regular beer and wine including on Sundays. Liquor stores still have the monopoly on spirits, and can't open on Sundays, but they can stay open til midnight now every other day. Breweries can also be open until midnight now, including on Sundays, and kids are allowed just like at a restaurant (everywhere but the actual bar). 
Before the law change, only 3.2 at grocery stores and gas stations, and no wine. Liquor stores could not refrigerate the beer and could not sell anything other than alcohol (no mixers, no limes, no bottle openers, just booze). Liquor stores closed at 9, same with breweries, and no kids allowed. A few years ago craft brewers couldn't even sell or serve their own product on site, so we had literally no tap rooms. A law change let them sell and serve on site a few years prior to the most recent change. Prior to that, an early law change allowed for samples during official brewery tours, but they were capped at 12 oz.  And before that they literally could do nothing but brew and sell to a distributor. It's been a fun decade to get where we are now.
The only blue law remnant still around here is no liquor on Sundays (which I really don't care because my whiskey cabinet is always well stocked) and grocery stores and gas stations are limited to 10% abv, so no barrel aged stouts (no big deal just go to the liquor store or brewery). We also have a few distilleries opening up which are stuck with no onsite consumption, but I assume they'll get a law passed for themselves soon enough.

I lived in Oklahoma for four years, loved Stillwater but not going back. However this is welcome news for when I take a road trip back for the new baseball stadium, though I’ll probably just end up bent over the bar at Stonewall waiting for a pool table to open.

I recently moved to Utah. Probably the most backwards state on liquor. Went to a bar last Friday and the beer tasted like water (because draught beer can only be serve 3.2). You can't buy wine at the grocery store. You can't have alcohol shipped to Utah unless you go through some stupid process and have it shipped to the state run liquor store. I've read that the liquor stores often won't even respond to requests to do this, so in practice, it's not even possible. Forget about buying the next state over before you return from a road trip. You'll get popped (so I've heard).

1 hour ago, Ellellelle said:

I recently moved to Utah. Probably the most backwards state on liquor. Went to a bar last Friday and the beer tasted like water (because draught beer can only be serve 3.2). You can't buy wine at the grocery store. You can't have alcohol shipped to Utah unless you go through some stupid process and have it shipped to the state run liquor store. I've read that the liquor stores often won't even respond to requests to do this, so in practice, it's not even possible. Forget about buying the next state over before you return from a road trip. You'll get popped (so I've heard).

Good thing you just moved there   Couple years ago you might have had the joy of the “Zion Curtain”.    backwards indeed

Zion curtainsEdit

Zion curtains are partitions unique to Utah restaurants that separate restaurant bartenders preparing alcoholic drinks from the customers who order them.[11]The partitions are only mandated for restaurants with "Limited-Service Restaurant Licenses" and "Full-Service Restaurant Licenses".[11][12] These partitions are often made of frosted glass since they are required to be "solid, translucent, [and] permanent".[11] They were mandated in hopes of combating excessive drinking by keeping alcohol out of sight of restaurant patrons who choose not to consume alcohol. [13] As of the Spring 2017 legislative session the Zion Curtain laws are being revoked and the requirement is being withdrawn from restaurants and pubs. [14]

20 hours ago, freyguy said:

There is no free will, just the illusion.

Looking forward to the age when it all opens up and Amazon delivers whatever beer/alcohol I want directly to my house.

there are delivery companies that do this. favor does it.

https://favordelivery.com/order-delivery/h-e-b-beer-and-wine-18090/

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Assuming the law doesn’t change, what’s to stop the craft breweries from forming a co-op that gets a distribution permit to pass through the beer for on premise sales at a markup of like $0.01/barrel or whatever minimal amount covers the annual cost of the permit?

I don’t know, the law maybe?  Anybody that makes the alcohol (suppliers) can’t sell directly to a retail or bar establishment. There must be an independent distributor tier in between like Southern/Glazers, RNDC, Silver Eagle, etc....In states like PA mentioned above (and OH, ME, NH, NC, UT, OR and a few more) the state effectively acts as the “distributor”, controlling pricing, product availability,  etc...prices are typically higher in these states (not always) due to the state adding additional taxes in to the chain.  

On 1/31/2019 at 3:19 AM, Bone3421 said:

Yall would love nebraska...can buy beer and liquor from ANYWHERE until barclose was 1am...bars open until 2 now but not sure if they bumped back grocery/convenience
Also can package(to go drinks) from bar at close

But your Titty bars don't show titties.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Assuming the law doesn’t change, what’s to stop the craft breweries from forming a co-op that gets a distribution permit to pass through the beer for on premise sales at a markup of like $0.01/barrel or whatever minimal amount covers the annual cost of the permit?

Yeah, I've wondered that myself. My guess is that the distributor can't be affiliated with the brewer in any way. Also, I think distributors kind of hold a monopoly on the stores they distribute to, so you might be able to distribute but no stores would make a deal with you because they already have exclusive contracts with a distributor. I'm just speculating and there is a high probability I am wrong.

8 hours ago, Ellellelle said:

I was pretty sure when I went to Zion we ate at a place after hiking The Narrows that had a pretty high ABV beer on draft served in like a 36 oz glass.

because of the three tier system, manufacturing breweries have to be on a their own tier apart from wholesale distributors, so forming a co-op would be illegal. Manufacturing brewers ARE able to self-distribute, but their 250 BBL/yr distro cap would go down to 40K. Guess what happens if a brewery in TX goes over the 250K cap and also sells on-premise in Texas? The brewery would have to sell it to the wholesaler only to buy it back for onsite sales, even if the beer never leaves their brewery in the first place. There are only a handful of breweries in texas like this, including Karbach (owned by AB-Inbev), Revolver (Miller/Coors), and Independence (Heineken, sorta). They are somehow grandfathered in (whoa, wonder why, maybe because BIG DISTRO is basically in bed with BIG BEER?) and don't have to do that. But there is one craft brewery who falls in this category: Oskar Blues in Austin. 

Brewpubs are considered retail and can sell to-go and also self distro up to 1K barrels, so they are on that 3rd tier.

Edited by Bottlecap

On 1/31/2019 at 6:55 AM, utee94 said:

The "ripe targets" for this discussion are the lobbies paying off the politicians to uphold antiquated laws, and the politicians themselves who allow themselves to be bought.  Feel free to take all the shots at them that you want, many people already have.  If you choose to take it beyond that to further some personal agenda, then you should definitely prepare for the negative consequences.

How do I find out where the lobbyist is spending the money? Walmart isn't talking. Nor is the other side. OpenSecrets doesn't get into state politics. I can go find who got what at the federal level but not of our own Lege. Which committee gets this bill?

I'd like to see a complete reworking of the industry. There's gotta be a better way of doing this.

Spending spike on sweet sweet cash for lobbying

Edited by cactusflinthead
Oh yeah I had a link

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I was pretty sure when I went to Zion we ate at a place after hiking The Narrows that had a pretty high ABV beer on draft served in like a 36 oz glass.

Utah allows for high ABV beers in bottles, but not on draft. I spend a week in Salt Lake City for work every June and I learned very quickly you should only order bottled beers. Also, don't try and order a double jack and coke before your flight home, because double drinks are illegal.
And believe it or not, those are not even the dumbest alcohol laws in Utah. Went out with a group of co-workers after work one day:

Co-worker to the waiter: What are your happy hour specials?
Waiter (in a real dry tone): Sorry, happy hours are illegal in Utah
*laugher all around*
Waiter: No, seriously, we're not allowed to advertise discounts on alcohol.

I still love Salt Lake City, despite the fucked up laws of that state.

How do I find out where the lobbyist is spending the money? Walmart isn't talking. Nor is the other side. OpenSecrets doesn't get into state politics. I can go find who got what at the federal level but not of our own Lege. Which committee gets this bill?

I'd like to see a complete reworking of the industry. There's gotta be a better way of doing this.

Spending spike on sweet sweet cash for lobbying

If you want to search state contributions you can use the TEC site - https://ethics.state.tx.us - or go to followthemoney.org

This bill hasn’t been assigned to a committee but you can keep track of it here: https://capitol.texas.gov
  • Like 1