House Bill 1100 would allow Texans to purchase liquor on Sundays

Goo Punch

21 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

The biggest push back on this is from the Spec's and Twin Liquors of the State that don't want to be open on Sunday, and those folks are extremely generous to the folks that vote on such issues.

Then don't be open.  Works for Chic-a-flay.

The market will dictate when you need to be open.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Then don't be open.  Works for Chic-a-flay.

The market will dictate when you need to be open.

That is precisely why they donate so much to the Legislators. They want their dollars to dictate when they will be open instead of the open market. 

They don't want to lose market share to the smaller stores who would be open on Sundays, but they also don't want to pay employees to work on Sundays.

30 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I am all for it, but I will believe it when I see it. This comes up nearly every session.

The biggest push back on this is from the Spec's and Twin Liquors of the State that don't want to be open on Sunday, and those folks are extremely generous to the folks that vote on such issues.

This right here. Everyone on the supply side wants a 6 day week. Adding an extra day won't really increase overall sales, but it will drive up expenses. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I am all for it, but I will believe it when I see it. This comes up nearly every session.

We went through this same debate a few years ago (and won).  It wasn't the Spec's and Twin Liquor types that opposed it though- the big stores were all about it.  It was the independent, small stores in small towns that didn't want it. The Bill in my state failed a couple times before it passed.

9 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Why can't you buy liquor at the grocery stores or Walgreens in Texas? This isn't an issue anywhere else

That's not entirely true, I believe Pennsylvania also has crazy liquor laws.  In fact as I recall, they're even crazier, because you can only buy liquor in state-owned stores there, but you can't buy beer in those same state-owned liquor stores. 

28 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Why can't you buy liquor at the grocery stores or Walgreens in Texas? This isn't an issue anywhere else

because the liquor laws in this state are mafia level bullshit. that tabc has way too much fucking authority.

don't get me started on distribution.

31 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

because the liquor laws in this state are mafia level bullshit.

HH is correct. The laws are arcane and protectionist. If I remember correctly, beer licenses can be held by a corporation, liquor licenses can not. Liquor licenses have to be in the name of a Texas resident and there are limits on number of stores. That's not hard for someone like Spec's where the entire company is made up of Texas residents and they put licenses in board members names. Walgreens can't do that. Something along those lines.

We've come a long way from when I was a kid and all the "non-essential" aisles in the drug and grocery stores were roped off and everything had to close at 6pm.

But there's simply no rational reason why I can't buy liquor on Sunday - or why I have to wait until noon to buy beer.  Or why liquor stores can't be open past 9.  Or why HEB can't sell whiskey when it's actually open.

As a non-religious person, this seems arbitrary, petty and tantamount to violations of the Establishment Clause.

Then I recall from my upbringing that there's absolutely no Christian doctrine that would draw a distinction between selling beer before or after noon on Sunday, or that would allow me to buy Doritos but not Gin on Sunday at Kroger.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It's comical thinking back to the 80s when you couldn't buy paper towels on Sunday in Texas. 

I was just trying to remember how long the strict "blue laws" were in effect.   When I worked in supermarkets as a kid, I remember on Saturday evening at closing having to tape across the aisles blocking entrance to merchandise unavailable for sale on Sunday.

31 minutes ago, utee94 said:

That's not entirely true, I believe Pennsylvania also has crazy liquor laws.  In fact as I recall, they're even crazier, because you can only buy liquor in state-owned stores there, but you can't buy beer in those same state-owned liquor stores. 

When I was in Pitt for work a few years ago I couldn't buy beer from stores past a certain time but I could by a 6er to go from a bar. It was bizarre

• Like 1

Can't the bill be just a tad more progressive and allow purchases before noon on Sunday?  I often do my grocery shopping early Sunday morning to beat the crowds, and it would be nice to be able to buy beer or wine.  Shit, sometimes I just need a cheap bottle of red for cooking.  It's not like the noon rule is increasing the crowds at church.

• Like 2

When I moved to Texas that was the first thing I had noticed. No alcohol sales on Sunday and the stores closed at 9pm. I was used to open on sundays and closing at 11pm.

Since I lived in shitty Kansas, I figured Texas was trying to support the restuarant/bar industry and make people spend $$$ drinking at restaurants and bars instead of buying a bottle at 10:30pm and drinking it at home.

57 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It's comical thinking back to the 80s when you couldn't buy paper towels on Sunday in Texas. 

I remember HEB having the aisles of non-food blocked off with flags. God forbid you risk eternal damnation for buying a spatula on Sunday.

Wait, where was this?  Was this some county level nonsense?  What could you buy and not buy? 

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Wait, where was this?  Was this some county level nonsense?  What could you buy and not buy? 

After a protracted battle over punishing business owners who flouted state law and kept their doors open on Sunday, the Legislature passed what would be its last state “blue law” in 1961, which prohibited the sale of a vast swath of consumer goods on Sunday.

Many department stores, now allowed to keep their doors open with caveats, simply laid paper over the items not for sale — with a web of confusing exemptions for buyers in “emergency situations.”

A few of the items on the no-sell list included clothing, footwear, utensils, electric fans, radios, clocks, tools (excluding non-power-driven hand tools), jewelry, clocks, watches, toys (excluding novelties and souvenirs) and lawn mowers.

The penalty for a first offense was a fine of up to $100, while second and subsequent convictions could be punished by imprisonment in jail not to exceed six months or by a fine of not more than $500.

In 1985, Texas abolished all “blue laws” on the books after department stores regularly ignored the laws, relying on the state’s ability and willingness to prosecute the law, according to the Chicago Tribune, which reported the law’s final days.

Department stores simply walked the aisles, removing the white paper, and the “blue laws” appeared to be gone.

i remember being a late 70s baby.

http://kdhnews.com/copperas_cove_herald/news/history-of-blue-laws-in-texas-long-with-effects-still/article_d820c62c-a16c-11e6-b715-a79d1376b958.html

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Can't the bill be just a tad more progressive and allow purchases before noon on Sunday?  I often do my grocery shopping early Sunday morning to beat the crowds, and it would be nice to be able to buy beer or wine.  Shit, sometimes I just need a cheap bottle of red for cooking.  It's not like the noon rule is increasing the crowds at church.

You heathen, you're supposed to be at First Baptist on Sunday mornings, not out galavanting around HEB (when it's open) checking out the soccer moms.

another needed alcohol law reform needed:  drinking in public before noon.

We were at the beach in Port A one weekend and started popping the tops around 11am on Sunday and the local law enforcement paid us a visit.  Luckily he just made us pour out the open containers and said to wait another 20 minutes until noon but he could have written us up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Um, yeah it is.  There are any number of states where you can buy liquor only at state-owned/controlled liquor stores. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_beverage_control_state

Edited by TwiceHorn

Let's encourage the already-drunks to head out on Saturday night just to get whatever they need to get them through Sunday.  That's always made a whole lot of sense from a public safety standpoint.

Ultimately, it's just another regulation created to benefit one corporate demographic but cloaked in some sort of faith-based bullshit, so it keeps most of the "faithful" happy.  (I say this as a Christian who thinks blue laws are trisomy-21 retarded, no offense to Aggies or parents of Down syndrome kids).

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's encourage the already-drunks to head out on Saturday night just to get whatever they need to get them through Sunday.  That's always made a whole lot of sense from a public safety standpoint.

Ultimately, it's just another regulation created to benefit one corporate demographic but cloaked in some sort of faith-based bullshit, so it keeps most of the "faithful" happy.  (I say this as a Christian who thinks blue laws are trisomy-21 retarded, no offense to Aggies or parents of Down syndrome kids).

I just read a DMN article on blue laws and they date way back, many as a reaction to repeal of prohibition.  Doesn't look like it was created to benefit any corporate entity, but was a legit morality thing back in the day.  Maybe it was the 1930s equivalent to the bathroom bill.

The maintenance  of the law now no doubt is to benefit particular interests, no doubt.

• Like 1

I had no idea about how crazy the laws were here until about Sunday essentials. I'm glad I wasn't around for that shit. 

On that note, my grandfather was basically forced to get out of the grocery business in the late 80s/early 90s because he refused to sell alcohol (not Randalls) and the profit margins weren't in it anymore. 

I could have been a millionaire. I could have been a grocery millionaire, Jerry.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

They changed those laws about 2 years ago if I'm not mistaken

Many Texas grocery stores wouldn't even have the space to accommodate liquor sales.  Obviously a great deal of it is modular, but as the HEB GM once said, "If the family allowed us to sell liquor, I'll propose the gluten-free aisle as the first to go."  

4 hours ago, 6th Street said:

I'm not entirely sure about that in regards specifically to liquor but there are definitely plenty of places all around with more stringent regulations than we have.  I know in Maryland and Connecticut, you can't even buy beer at "grocery stores or Walgreens", let alone liquor....can't buy beer in gas stations either.  If you want beer, you have to go to the liquor store.  I didn't spend as much time in Rhode Island or some of those other states around there but I think there's a lot of places like that.  I can't imagine living somewhere where you can't just stroll into the corner store and grab a case of beer or grab beer at a grocery store while you're grabbing your groceries. Not to mention states like OK where the beer is weaker.  We've got it better than many states but I still think the no liquor on Sunday rule is antiquated and needs to go away. 

What's amazing is that when i buy beer on any other morning, I don't typically slam em all before noon...

but wholly fok, if it's Sunday, i'm going to church fully lit.

That mindset is so idiotic.  i hate our liquor( and gambling) laws.