What new UT gear are you looking to buy this year?

GhostOfTomJoad

On 12/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, LonghornBreeder said:

Last few times I've gone to academy, I've trolled the manager pretty hard bc they have aisles upon racks of Aggy clearance  items and hardly anything in Longhorn gear.

Is that company owned by Aggies? They seem to stock all their locations as if they're in BCS.

No. Academy is not owned by Aggies. aAlthough there are plenty that work there. 

AS+O is own by p.e. firm, KKR.

The Gochman family owned it for 74+years until Max Gochman’s grandson sold all but 13.1% to KKR for a cool $2.1B.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:34 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I went on the hunt for some UT gear over the past couple of days. Almost nothing is available in Houston as far as I can tell. Obviously it's right after Christmas and we're doing well but still I was shocked at the low inventory at places like Academy and Dick's. What little inventory they had was crap. If I was XS and 3XXL, I may have been able to buy a hoodie.

I also assume that Tillman Fertitta must own some compromising photos of the Academy CEO. There were endless UH inventory at Academy. Whoever is in charge of inventory mix should be fired.

But hey, Houston is most likely in the top 3 locations where UT grads/fans live. Why should I expect otherwise.  Rant over, any suggestions where to buy UT gear in Houston?

Rally House.

Or, as others have suggested, the www.

Fanatics

CoOp

Nike.com

But hey, Houston is most likely in the top 3 locations where UT grads/fans live. Why should I expect otherwise.  Rant over, any suggestions where to buy UT gear in Houston?

I remember going to a Longhorn club luncheon in Houston about a decade ago and Deloss was the guest speaker. He said outside of Austin, Houston was home to the largest collection of UT alumni. So yeah lack UT gear there is weird.

Academy is where divorcee dads go at 6pm on a Friday to gather supplies for a last second camping trip with their kids. 

I don’t give a shit if they have a lot of Coug High shirts. They probably have a merchandising deal with local stores to carry their shit within a certain radius of their Scott Street campus. 

No serious Texas fan or outdoorsman with an internet connection would willingly shop there. Academy keeps the doors open by selling a shit of ammo to preppers. The rest of the store is a side hustle. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Academy is where divorcee dads go at 6pm on a Friday to gather supplies for a last second camping trip with their kids. 

I don’t give a shit if they have a lot of Coug High shirts. They probably have a merchandising deal with local stores to carry their shit within a certain radius of their Scott Street campus. 

No serious Texas fan or outdoorsman with an internet connection would willingly shop there. Academy keeps the doors open by selling a shit of ammo to preppers. The rest of the store is a side hustle. 

Ha. I got a gift card for Xmas so I walked around the one by me for 30 minutes last weekend trying to find something I actually needed. 

22 minutes ago, deft said:

Academy was cool when it was in that funky building on burnet across from the mini golf and was full of milsurp gear. Back when Austin was cool man….

Or that cinderblock hole on the east side access road to 35, a short ways north of DFF. Bought surplus camping gear there in the early 80s when I was a dirt poor student.

Scheel’s in Sioux Falls had a whole Texas apparel section back in the VY/Colt days that put Academy (now Spec’s at Brodie and Mopac) to shame. It was all quality stuff, but that’s what Scheel’s generally carries.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/7/2024 at 10:45 PM, deft said:

Academy was cool when it was in that funky building on burnet across from the mini golf and was full of milsurp gear. Back when Austin was cool man….

fuck...i haven't thought about that place in thirty years.  Completely forgot about it.  This brought back some awesome high school memories...

Yeah that particular store was cool.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...