2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Lineup changes on Thurs?

Reddick is done. Take him out.

Jake to center. Springer to right.

Put Diaz on 3rd, move Alex over to remove Correa.

Am I too drunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of the most over reactionary posts I've ever seen on this forum and that's fucking saying something. 

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The book is out on Yordan. He'll chase a breaking ball down in the count with two strikes. He does it almost every time.

I mean, yeah, but that's true of almost every young hitter.  He'll get better.  The fact that he takes so many walks is a very good sign.

5 minutes ago, thetruth said:

Nothing is fucked here dude. 

You are correct.   If they get the job done on Thursday (which I believe they will), that makes your Game 1 starter Greinke and JV and Verlander are still in line for two starts on normal rest.   Now just get it done, fellas.  

• Like 1

So is anyone second-guessing Hinch for starting JV on short rest?  I was out for the game, so forgive me if it's been discussed to death already.

I'm still fine with JV asking for the ball and fine with Hinch saying yes.  

Hell, we should still win more often than not when we give up 4.

Edited by TexArcher

Just now, TexArcher said:

So is anyone second-guessing Hinch for starting JV on short rest?  I was out for the game, so forgive me is it's been discussed to death already.

It sent the subliminal message to our team, to the Rays, that we were pressing acting like we were the ones down 1-2 and facing elimination rather than acting like the best team in baseball. At least now we are legitimately facing elimination and we get to find out if the best team in baseball on paper is worth a shit or not.

I would much rather have gone into Game 5 with Verlander starting and Cole able to come in from the pen in case of absolute emergency. That is now off the table.

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

So is anyone second-guessing Hinch for starting JV on short rest?  I was out for the game, so forgive me if it's been discussed to death already.

Hell, we should still win more often than not when we give up 4.

Pitching wasn't the problem tonight. Three runs in the first was a jolt, but this team should be able to handle that.

Props to the Rays' pitchers.

• Like 1

I felt going into tonight that offense was our greatest concern. Turned out that way, despite JV’s rough start. We have a lot of firepower that got cooled off mainly by a combo of good pitching and bad luck. I was especially encouraged by Brantley’s swings, though they bore little fruit. 

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Pitching wasn't the problem tonight. Three runs in the first was a jolt, but this team should be able to handle that.

Props to the Rays' pitchers.

Did they knock the runs in off the first baseman?  While I agree the bats are flat the pitching was definitely an issue tonight.

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Four runs shouldn't beat this team.

Except that Tampa's team ERA is 3.65 and this is the playoffs where runs come at a premium....

So far 4 runs per game would have ended this series in Tampa's favor already.

Honestly had Will Harris not had testicles of steel in Game 2 this season very easily could already be over.

Since the wild card was expanded, teams with under 90 wins regularly make it into the playoffs.  TB is not one of those teams.  95 regular season wins is impressive and a tough opponent in a 5 game series.  

It’s easy to criticize hinch for playing JV but you don’t want to over complicate 5 game series. Make it simple. Start your best pitcher available.  

It's not the pitching, it's the bats - 4 runs shouldn't be enough to beat this team, unless you're going to tell me Yarbrough is a Cy Young dark horse.  Maybe they should quit planning their HR dugout poses and hit some baseballs.

We all know that they will unleash a 9-1 beat down on TB Friday, but the die may be cast.  They need to stop screwing around.

Edited by gecko

that bats are a serious problem at the moment which makes the decision to start verlander even more absurd.  That was simply a horrible decision in every way.  He is historically bad he entire career staring on short rest.  This was going to be no different.  it ended exactly how I thought it would and now the rotation is fucked for the next series even if they advance.  For a team that is so data driven they went against data hard here and it bit them in the ass.  there was no data that indicated verlander should have gotten the ball there.  

6 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

He is historically bad he entire career staring on short rest.

Last night was the first time he started on three days rest other than one time when he started on short rest after his previous game was called in the first inning. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 1

For all the second-guessers, are you really confident that Urquidy would have done better?  That’s the only question.  It’s not like the Astros have a ton of options at SP since Miley fell off the cliff.   

It was the right call.  Go with your best available pitcher to close it out.   It just didn’t work.  That’s baseball.  

The rotation is not screwed if they advance.  Observe:

Game 1: Greinke,  Game 2: Verlander, 

Game 3: Cole, Game 4: Urquidy

Game 5: Greinke, Game 6: Verlander

Game 7: Cole

2 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

For all the second-guessers, are you really confident that Urquidy would have done better?  That’s the only question.  It’s not like the Astros have a ton of options at SP since Miley fell off the cliff.   

It was the right call.  Go with your best available pitcher to close it out.   It just didn’t work.  That’s baseball.  

Yeah, I don't think Urquidy would have done much worse than 3.2 IP and 4 ER.  And even if he had, we would have had JV and Cole both available on Thursday with full rest.

Edited by kevwun

49 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I agree with all of this. We can all wonder how Urquidy would have performed, but I would have taken my chances on JV too. The Rays made the plays they needed to and got two big outs in the ninth. That's baseball. 

I love the idea of Cole starting game three in New York and having JV and Cole for games 6 and 7 if necessary. Of course, I hope any of that is necessary.

Nothing is fucked here. it was never going to be easy, and anyone who thought it was hadn't paid attention to how good the Rays actually are and how well they have played against us the last couple of seasons. Anything can happen tomorrow, but I'd take our roster over theirs, and if you have to play an elimination game, Cole is the guy you want on the mound. Altuve, Bregman, and Alvarez have been great. Springer, Brantley, and even Reddick showed some signs of life yesterday. If both teams play their best game, the Astros will win. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 2

I told my friend yesterday that if the rays end up beating Grienke, JV and Cole then you tip your fucking cap and move on. I didn't think we would go undefeated like some expect but I also didn't think our offense would have shit the bed this much, It's not like we crushed the ball in games 1 or 2 and just got timely hitting and great starting pitching so we are due for a breakout game at home in a elimination game. If you're going to be a pussy wait till the game is over to come blast hinch(since everything is his fault).

1. i believe this team is 5-9 on the road in the playoffs since 2017.  3 great 100-win astros teams, and we're winning ~1/3 of our road games.  and that includes 2-2 in dodger stadium.  we're winning 30% of our road games in the a.l.  this was never going to be an easy series.

2. assuming we win, the rotation works out fine.  if greinke goes at home, then we'll get cole in g3, which is a pitching advantage, and the guy i would most want going on the road.  it also sets up game 6 and 7 with our best two pitchers at home on regular rest.  this is why you fight hard for homefield.

3. if we can't beat tampa at home with one of the most dominant pitchers in the past 20 years on full rest, then we don't deserve this series, and weren't going to beat the yankees anyway.

this needs to be our back-against-the-wall defining moment.  define the moment or the moment defines you.  let's fucking go.

• Like 8

I don't have an issue with Hinch, but if we lose game 5 and this series after being best team in baseball with a 2-0 lead then someone will be fired.

Could be Cintron....could be Snitker...could be the whole staff.

Doubt Hinch gets booted, but someones head rolls.

But none of this matters cause Cole bitches!

I like Urquidy a lot, but JV at 70% > Urquidy at 100%.  Also, while I would obviously prefer to have both JV and Cole available on Thursday, I prefer Cole starting that game than JV.  Hopefully Cole can hold Tampa down and our bats will finally wake up.  

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

1. i believe this team is 5-9 on the road in the playoffs since 2017.  3 great 100-win astros teams, and we're winning ~1/3 of our road games.  and that includes 2-2 in dodger stadium.  we're winning 30% of our road games in the a.l.  this was never going to be an easy series.

2. assuming we win, the rotation works out fine.  if greinke goes at home, then we'll get cole in g3, which is a pitching advantage, and the guy i would most want going on the road.  it also sets up game 6 and 7 with our best two pitchers at home on regular rest.  this is why you fight hard for homefield.

3. if we can't beat tampa at home with one of the most dominant pitchers in the past 20 years on full rest, then we don't deserve this series, and weren't going to beat the yankees anyway.

this needs to be our back-against-the-wall defining moment.  define the moment or the moment defines you.  let's fucking go.

All of this.

We are dominant at home.  Cole is the most dominant pitcher in the Majors.  The starting pitching for the next series can never really be fucked up when you have three aces.  Don't even worry about Osuna, because there ain't gonna be no save situation tomorrow.  We are going to fuck them up.

8-1 Houston.

Here are some 2020 arbitration projections. George’s # is 2nd biggest after Betts’ $27mm  You can probably ignore Sanchez.   He probably won’t get tendered  

• George Springer – $21.4MM
  • Brad Peacock – $4.6MM
  • Jake Marisnick – $3.0MM
  • Aaron Sanchez – $5.6MM
  • Lance McCullers Jr. – $4.1MM
  • Carlos Correa – $7.4MM
  • Roberto Osuna – $10.2MM
  • Chris Devenski – $2.0MM – club option for $2.825MM
  • Joe Biagini – $1.5MM
  • Aledmys Diaz – $2.4MM