2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

53 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Here are some 2020 arbitration projections. George’s # is 2nd biggest after Betts’ $27mm  You can probably ignore Sanchez.   He probably won’t get tendered  

• George Springer – $21.4MM
  • Brad Peacock – $4.6MM
  • Jake Marisnick – $3.0MM
  • Aaron Sanchez – $5.6MM
  • Lance McCullers Jr. – $4.1MM
  • Carlos Correa – $7.4MM
  • Roberto Osuna – $10.2MM
  • Chris Devenski – $2.0MM – club option for $2.825MM
  • Joe Biagini – $1.5MM
  • Aledmys Diaz – $2.4MM

I'd NT Marisnick, Sanchez, Devenski, and Biagini.

Sign Springer to a 4-5 year deal.

I would try to work out a 2 year team friendly deal with Sanchez that gives him some certainty as he recovers from shoulder surgery.

I would look into trading Correa and Osuna.

Peacock would be the 6th starter again, and McCullers would split the closing role with Pressly as you look to protect his elbow from TJ.

I remember what Garner said after Pujols hit the home run in game 6 to force a game 7 in St Louis.  A reporter asked him if he was worried that home run gave all the momentum to the Cardinals.  Garner said, “they can have the momentum, we’ve got Roy Oswalt.”

No one I would rather have pitching now than Gerrit Cole at home.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Scraps said:

I don't have an issue with Hinch, but if we lose game 5 and this series after being best team in baseball with a 2-0 lead then someone will be fired.

Could be Cintron....could be Snitker...could be the whole staff.

Doubt Hinch gets booted, but someones head rolls.

Hopefully Orbit

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I remember what Garner said after Pujols hit the home run in game 6 to force a game 7 in St Louis.  A reporter asked him if he was worried that home run gave all the momentum to the Cardinals.  Garner said, “they can have the momentum, we’ve got Roy Oswalt.”

There was a travel day between Game 6 and Game 7, huh?  Weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

LAD doesn't have Cole. We do.

Their starter wasn’t the problem, it was shaky relief pitching and a couple of suspect moves by the manager because he decided to go with his gut over the analytical approach the team typically uses.  He left a reliever out there for an extra inning when he had other options just waiting in the bullpen and then didn’t pull him even when he was clearly not getting it done. 

Also their bats went cold at the wrong time. 

What the fuck man that was gm 5 and the Astros were up 3 games to 1 at the time. That Pujols HR just postponed the inevitable and allowed Roy to turn off the lights at Busch stadium in a dominant performance in game six. That StL team would've had to win three straight to advance to the WS.

It always annoys me when that Pujols moment gets brought up as if was some dramatic season-changing bomb when in reality it is one of the most overblown post season moments because of how non-impactful it was in the larger scheme of things. Except for robbing me of the chance to see the Astros win their NL title in person, it didn't make a shit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

What the fuck man that was gm 5 and the Astros were up 3 games to 1 at the time. That Pujols HR just postponed the inevitable and allowed Roy to turn off the lights at Busch stadium in a dominant performance in game six. That StL team would've had to win three straight to advance to the WS.

It always annoys me when that Pujols moment gets brought up as if was some dramatic season-changing bomb when in reality it is one of the most overblown post season moments because of how non-impactful it was in the larger scheme of things. Except for robbing me of the chance to see the Astros win their NL title in person, it didn't make a shit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It did change Brad Lidge from a dominant closer to garbage in the World Series. In his next appearance, he gave up a walk off home run to the White Sox. 

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I assume with tonight’s result, an Astros/Yankees LCS game 1 will be sat 7pm and Cards/Nats game 2 will be sat 3pm...

4am-7am Austin to Dallas
7am-11am State Fair
11am-3pm Texas/ou
3pm-7pm Dallas to Houston
7pm-11pm Astros/Yankees

Hmmm

I don't see how anyone could remain sober enough to make this work

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

In fairness to Lidge, he won a WS with Philly and had like 41 saves that year if I remember right 

Took him 3 years to recover. I'm glad he wasn't ruined for life by it. Nothing against him as a person. 

In 2005, he was an All Star closer and he had 2 Ls in the World Series.  He was broken. Straight up useless in a tie game.  He was also broken for all of 2006. Pujols rattled him. 

Astros were close in every game. If they win game 2 or 3, that series is competitive. It wasn't all Lidge, but the Astros only needed one or two things to break their way. A quality Lidge could have easily made that a 7 game series by himself. 

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I assume with tonight’s result, an Astros/Yankees LCS game 1 will be sat 7pm and Cards/Nats game 2 will be sat 3pm...

4am-7am Austin to Dallas
7am-11am State Fair
11am-3pm Texas/ou
7pm-11pm Astros/Yankees

Hmmm

If you can pull that off, it really needs to be chronicled in a highly detailed blog. With pics.

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

4am-7am Austin to Dallas
7am-11am State Fair
11am-3pm Texas/ou
7pm-11pm Astros/Yankees

Hmmm

This could be the recipe for an epic diary post like the 2009 Big 12 Championship game in San Antonio post from the Hornfans era.