Chicken Fried Steak

Limp Brisket

4 hours ago, Paco said:

Amen brother. Celebrating at Jim's.36da5b63cda18632a6da3f43edcd10d0.jpg

Kid’s meal? 😉.  J/K, I’ve gotten a smaller one for lunch before.  In the spirit of the thread, this is when I got the small at Mary’s because I had eaten breakfast like 1.5 hours before.  Poor planning on my part.

3061073F-DA1B-4437-A5D7-2C0AB8FEED1E.jpeg

EF162E68-3B6F-4646-ADDC-D32F4A9BD3C7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Deej said:

Chicken fried steak is my go-to Jim's breakfast.

I gotta do that some day.  When I'm at a diner, I'm seemingly hard-wired to order two eggs over easy, a double order of bacon, hash browns, toast (white, not wheat you communists) and bottomless coffee, black.

I probably need to go get one of those heart scans.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I gotta do that some day.  When I'm at a diner, I'm seemingly hard-wired to order two eggs over easy, a double order of bacon, hash browns, toast (white, not wheat you communists) and bottomless coffee, black.

You can get all that and the CFS. Just sayin'.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

You get all this and the CFS for the full TEXAS version of the full English breakfast imo. The only option is biscuit over toast if the place is known for really good biscuits. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I've worked across the street from a Jim's for a few months now. I have yet to stop by. 

What the fuck is wrong with me? 

They have really good breakfast tacos too you can get to go, used to be a great deal back in the day for two of them. No idea what it costs now.

• Like 1

Just now, Covri said:

They have really good breakfast tacos too you can get to go, used to be a great deal back in the day for two of them. No idea what it costs now.

Oh - we have that covered. There's a spot close by that does some of the best breakfast tacos in Austin. Not going to say where because I don't want some weirdo cross-referencing the location. 

Oh - we have that covered. There's a spot close by that does some of the best breakfast tacos in Austin. Not going to say where because I don't want some weirdo cross-referencing the location. 

There’s only a few Jim’s. If you’re in Oak Hill I’d like to which tacos you speak of.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I don't know what Jims you are by, but I grew up in oak hill with the one at the Y. Was the (only) place to be 3am in the 90s back then lol.

3 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

There’s only a few Jim’s. If you’re in Oak Hill I’d like to which tacos you speak of. emoji3.png

I don't know how old you are or how long you've been in the area, but the spot used to be bubbas way back in the day, up 71 next to where the backyard used to be. Torn down to build a outdoor mall that I have still never set foot in out of principal lol.

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

44 minutes ago, Deej said:

You can get all that and the CFS. Just sayin'.

raw.gif.ccd4ab8d0c7651ef0a6a9ed75b6edc10.gif

• Haha 1

You get all this and the CFS for the full TEXAS version of the full English breakfast imo. The only option is biscuit over toast if the place is known for really good biscuits. 

My rule of thumb is get the best bread they have. Biscuits often disappoint. So it’s also ok to get pancakes, or flour tortillas m, or cinnamon roll French toast.

I don’t understand Mac n cheese with CFS and mashed taters. Maybe it’s because I don’t usually like Mac n cheese.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/4/2023 at 2:17 PM, El Compadre said:

Any of y'all tried Wagon Wheel in Eagle Pass? Buddy of mine went and said it was fucking delicious.

4F021EDB-D044-4C77-8767-DB33E08B932B.jpeg

7766664B-C596-4686-9893-E3CF2752FC76.jpeg

That's how it's done. The CFS should be bigger than the plate on which it is served.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hickory Hollow in Houston would never be misunderstood as a good restaurant, but I miss their hubcap, or was it wagon wheel (?) CFS. Fried okra, green beans, a couple Lone Stars and you’d get out of there alright for under $25. I polished a few off by myself, but I usually split it with my wife. Not bad for two broke kids trying to make it in the big city. 

I always ask for the gravy on the side - gotta keep my cardiologist happy. 
Went to Moonshine Grill at Avery Ranch this afternoon… Pretty good, about a 7.5/10.
C240D9F4-0044-4B41-9C13-8D67BA89F699.thumb.jpeg.075c2dca2b1f3a1f3d18f32e8d0eec0e.jpeg

That gravy is a) too thick. Gravy should never be able to retain elevation on top. It should be pourable. b) that’s a funky ass portion.

I like it on the side as it retains crunch.

50 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

That gravy is a) too thick. Gravy should never be able to retain elevation on top. It should be pourable. b) that’s a funky ass portion.

I like it on the side as it retains crunch.

Yes it is, but it’s easier to dip into without making a dribbling mess. The portion is about right for us, and we took some home where Mrs. Brat will add milk & pepper before reheating. 
We really do not eat large quantities at meals. We’ll split the leftover cfs & spuds for lunch tomorrow.

Back in the day I would’ve eaten the whole thing at one sitting, her fancy queso & chips, all the popcorn and both drinks. 
That’s why I have a cardiologist today.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Didn't grab any pictures at the first stop, but had a couple of CFS experiences this weekend. First at Trail Boss Steak and Grill in Bandera. I had the pork schnitzel, but my wife got the CFS. The pork schnitzel was VERY good, and I tried my wife's CFS and it was also very good, though it didn't have that traditional crust.

Next day we went over to Antler Cafe in Spring Branch or wherever you want to call it, and we both went for the CFS. The waitress asked if I wanted brown gravy on my potatoes. Seemed kinda wild for going along with a traditional CFS white gravy, but you live but once.... I thought it was really good, and a more traditional CFS crust. My wife liked it, but preferred the one at Trail Boss. 

Antler Cafe:

antler.jpg

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1