UGA sprinter impaled by javelin during track practice

clapclapclap

I guess Bill Maher can recycle one of his Halloween costumes.

https://www.11alive.com/article/sports/uga-sprinter-impaled-by-javelin-during-track-practice/85-e8379a04-cb08-495e-8e13-afae860fffbf

ATHENS, Ga. -- A University of Georgia sprinter from Covington was impaled while he was running a drill Tuesday afternoon, according to the student’s mother. 

Elija Godwin, who is a freshmen sprinter on the team, was doing a backwards sprint drill on the infield and accidentally backed into a javelin.

11Alive UGA Insider Radi Nabulsi learned about the incident earlier in the day.

A statement from university said the javelin was sticking out of the field at an angle.

It went through Elija's back and punctured his lung. He immediately went down and his teammates packed the area with gauze until he could be rushed to a hospital for emergency surgery, according to the police report.

Medical personnel had to saw off the piece sticking out of his back to get him into the ambulance, but the front piece of the javelin was still in his chest.  

Godwin successfully made it through surgery at Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center. 11Alive's Kaitlyn Ross spoke to his mother who said he is out of surgery, off of oxygen and breathing on his own.

Ginger Luby, his mother, said her son has a collapsed lung and will likely be out for the rest of the season. Luby said she is so thankful that he's doing okay.

UGA Director of Sports Medicine Ron Courson said he's expected to make a full recovery.

“We would like to express appreciation for all those who acted so quickly and efficiently in coming to the aid of Elija,” said Courson. “Special thanks to our sports medicine staff, UGA Police Department, Athens-Clarke County Fire-Rescue, National EMS, and Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center.”

Edited by clapclapclap
Crikey, mate

Cripes.  In middle school, a guy got beaned with a shotput.  One of the coaches/science teachers reached him and he had a bloody hole looking thing in his head.  The coach/teacher touched it and it was squishy.  Turned out it glanced off and flipped a patch of scalp.  The squish was his hair under the skin.  He graduated from UT Law.

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Cripes.  In middle school, a guy got beaned with a shotput.  One of the coaches/science teachers reached him and he had a bloody hole looking thing in his head.  The coach/teacher touched it and it was squishy.  Turned out it glanced off and flipped a patch of scalp.  The squish was his hair under the skin.  He graduated from UT Law.

So a brain damaged lawyer.   That's not exactly unique.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . a javelin was stuck in the ground, with the point out?  Am I reading this Pulitzer Prize winning story correctly?  (See for instance "freshmen sprinter".)

even the non pointy end looks pretty pointy from some googling around

Unpopular opinion: Javelin & pole vaulting are two of the dumbest/most pointless sporting activities ever. The two worst accidents I ever saw on the track in high school both involved pole vaulting. So not only are they stupid events, they can be pretty dangerous too. 

• Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . a javelin was stuck in the ground, with the point out?  Am I reading this Pulitzer Prize winning story correctly?  (See for instance "freshmen sprinter".)

I think a javelin is pointy on both ends  for aerodynamics.   

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

49 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

So a brain damaged lawyer.   That's not exactly unique.

That could be more than just a few posters here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Friend in high school got hit in the head by a discus.  He was practicing for the 3200 and was running around one of the random fields behind the football stadium.  That's where they practiced shot and discus.  I was lining up to run a practice 400 when you heard nothing but screaming and "call 911!!!!"

I have no idea what the dude is up to today.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That last bit is especially prescient ....

1 hour ago, RexWilson said:

Matthew Boling should decommit from UGA due to safety reasons and come to UT.

aggy's recruiting hard.  They're the defending national champs at javelin catching.

Edited by Beau Vine

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

i had a much more horrific incident in my head when i read the thread title

seriously.  was expecting the javelin to be in flight.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm actually surprised track and field accidents don't happen more often.

you're telling me.  i am shocked that more of my athletes aren't hurt by the discus (high school track coach here).  always have to remind athletes warming up or doing drills to stay the fuck away from that area.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I think a javelin is pointy on both ends  for aerodynamics.   

yes.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

The two worst accidents I ever saw on the track in high school both involved pole vaulting. So not only are they stupid events, they can be pretty dangerous too. 

Most pole vaulters are using incorrect (illegal) poles that are tested for athletes lighter than them.  So, if I am 175 and use a pole for someone who's 150, I get more bend in the pole and a higher vault when the pole snaps up.  Only problem is it creates more danger - higher heights and poles snapping mid-vault.  I don't see it much here in Indiana, thankfully.  It's also a liability issue for the school if the coach knowingly gives a vaulter a pole under their weight and the vaulter gets hurt, so it's pretty fucking serious.

Edited by BlueGreySky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I was hit by a 12lb shot in 9th grade.  Stupid coach had told us to go mark our throws so we could measure later as he took the tape measure to the discus field.  I threw, walked out to mark my throw, but kept an eye on the guys horsing around behind the circle.  I faced the circle - nobody was in it.  I bent down quickly to grab a stick to jab in the ground and I hear, "heads up!"

The shot missed my head, thank God.  Could've killed me.  It hit me in the back.  I was in a bit of shock.  I slowly stood up and saw all the guys running toward me. They were all yelling and asking if I was ok.  I didn't say a thing.  I just turned and started walking the couple hundred yards to the trainer's room.  That guy told me it was probably a deep bruise. Ha.

I went home and ended up coming back to school that night to show my science fair project (3rd place, holla).  Went to the doctor the next day.

The lower, narrow end of my left shoulder blade was broken clean off.  Luckily, it's between 2 muscles and didn't move.  It healed on its own.  Sleeping, moving, breathing, coughing, laughing all sucked.  Similar to broken ribs.

The school called my dad asking why I wasn't at school and then threatened something about holding the absence against me.  My dad explained in a calm manner (not so much) that their incompetence had led to my injury, and they're lucky I wasn't dead or brain damaged.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

counterpoint:

13381116_831292197004502_525326102_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net

Rickie fucking Fowler. Can’t spell his name decently, dresses like a goddamn orange dreamcicle, and has the worst facial hair in the history of man is getting to bang that. This is how I know there is no god.

37 minutes ago, Hate said:

Rickie fucking Fowler. Can’t spell his name decently, dresses like a goddamn orange dreamcicle, and has the worst facial hair in the history of man is getting to bang that. This is how I know there is no god.

if the devil offered me a choice between allison stokke and winning a major, i'm picking allison stokke too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I was hit by a 12lb shot in 9th grade.  Stupid coach had told us to go mark our throws so we could measure later as he took the tape measure to the discus field.  I threw, walked out to mark my throw, but kept an eye on the guys horsing around behind the circle.  I faced the circle - nobody was in it.  I bent down quickly to grab a stick to jab in the ground and I hear, "heads up!"

The shot missed my head, thank God.  Could've killed me.  It hit me in the back.  I was in a bit of shock.  I slowly stood up and saw all the guys running toward me. They were all yelling and asking if I was ok.  I didn't say a thing.  I just turned and started walking the couple hundred yards to the trainer's room.  That guy told me it was probably a deep bruise. Ha.

I went home and ended up coming back to school that night to show my science fair project (3rd place, holla).  Went to the doctor the next day.

The lower, narrow end of my left shoulder blade was broken clean off.  Luckily, it's between 2 muscles and didn't move.  It healed on its own.  Sleeping, moving, breathing, coughing, laughing all sucked.  Similar to broken ribs.

The school called my dad asking why I wasn't at school and then threatened something about holding the absence against me.  My dad explained in a calm manner (not so much) that their incompetence had led to my injury, and they're lucky I wasn't dead or brain damaged.

How did this thread become all about you?

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Unpopular opinion: Javelin & pole vaulting are two of the dumbest/most pointless sporting activities ever. The two worst accidents I ever saw on the track in high school both involved pole vaulting. So not only are they stupid events, they can be pretty dangerous too. 

Shut the fuck up valley trash.

• Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Tell it again. 

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Girdwood said:

Tell it again. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Friend in high school got hit in the head by a discus.  He was practicing for the 3200 and was running around one of the random fields behind the football stadium.  That's where they practiced shot and discus.  I was lining up to run a practice 400 when you heard nothing but screaming and "call 911!!!!"

You mean “warming up for the 3200.”

Some friend you are...lol

Edited by Trey3216

He posts here from time to time, selling sentsy products.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

At first I thought it hit him right in the chest area.   But damn he kind of flicked of his arm like it was nothing burger (obviously it was not).

Memo to anyone who judges a track meet.  Just GTFWOTW when the even involves the throwing of an object.   It's really  simple.

21 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Like this?

Can't stop watching. Or laughing

7 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Q: What is the only sport more boring than track?

A: Field.

Have an acquaintance whose daughter is a pole vaulter at a college we've all heard of. She is smoke. Imagine above pic but blonde. Acquaintance is a gun dealer, so no pics.

Pansy 

Everyone had that one kid who was completely uncoordinated but still gave it a shot, much to our amusement.  Well that kid was throwing the discus in a competition in high school and his dad decided to help mark the distances.  His kid threw the discus in his general area, and had he not moved, he wouldn't have been hit, but his ultra unbelievably uncoordinated lack of skill and judgement led him right into the path of his kids throw.  Smacked him in the chest with a thud followed by his thud hitting the ground.  I tried but I couldn't not laugh.